General FY Moments

Orion VIII

Finally washed the windows. Was waiting for a cool, overcast rainy-ish day. Been about a year since they got washed, and they were extra dirty due to all the dust / dirt created when the old balcony deck got ripped out and replaced in October.  So now they are clean and shiny once again.  I hope I got the screen back in properly... guess I'll find out LOL.

Was able to take advantage of the nice but not hot weather today and overhaul the garden bed in front of my place. I had tried to tidy it up last year but didn't use enough mulch, so it got overrun with weeds again. This time I really went it it, tore out the 'bleh' looking black plastic edging strip, cut the size down so it's a nice easy edge to mow around now, and also more sized to the amount of plants that actually grow in it. Raked it out and picked out all the weeds, trimmed out the scruffy tulips that didn't sprout any flowers, and then edged it off with a nice row of bricks. My place has a bunch of old bricks sitting around in various spots so I didn't have to spend a dime on it aside from $10 of mulch. I'm waiting a week or two to add the mulch though as I want to see what other weeds pop up first and get them out, and also blow out the tree seeds that'll start falling soon. A couple more weeks and I'll grab some flowers at the home centre and put those in a couple pots. Then it's just an easy summer of watering and mowing the lawn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Got a haircut today..  feels great to get that mop chopped. Tried to grow it out to look like #JustinTrudeauHair  #HairGoals  but that just wasn't working out.  LOL

Tell me about it.  That's one of the main things I was looking for in Doug Ford's announcement re. Ontario today but no, barber shops are staying closed.  If that doesn't change soon, I'll be getting the clippers out for a self-inflicted military style buzz cut.

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Tell me about it.  That's one of the main things I was looking for in Doug Ford's announcement re. Ontario today but no, barber shops are staying closed.  If that doesn't change soon, I'll be getting the clippers out for a self-inflicted military style buzz cut.

I spent a month looking to buy clippers but everywhere I checked was out of them. Of course my own personal stand against Walmart and Amazon limited my choices to London Drugs and Shoppers Drug Mart.  I imagine the barbers today were either busy chopping overgrown mops, or 'correcting' self-inflicted attempts at cutting Covid-Hair. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Weather is gonna look nice in Ottawa all week. Time to get back to taking Transit photos!

Annotation 2020-05-18 044416.png

Just because it’s warm and sunny doesn’t mean COVID is gone. Stay home unless it is absolutely needed.  

• Thanks 1

There has not been much to celebrate this year, but this really cheered me up: my grandparents sent me a package with three books - one on the history of trolleybuses in Bratislava and two on the histories of individual bus manufacturers in the former Czechoslovakia - I had ordered and sent to their apartment, in the hope that I'd get to read them when I arrived in Europe.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z5Ma0PzRyfg/XsQokQ1FK2I/AAAAAAAAb1A/vak7-Unogc8hjPvS-am7tHCiu3Vs-uhtgCK8BGAsYHg/s0/2020-05-19.jpg

Well, if they can't bring me to the trolleybuses, at least I could, in a small way, have the trolleybuses brought to me. Hopefully I catch the live show before I'm old and grey!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

It's RAINING  ♥♥♥

Photo2925.jpg

Not bad if it's actually warm! It's 4*c in Calgary and the rain has turned into snow. My family and I finished planting the garden over the long weekend. I'm just hoping the plants survive the cold. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Greatcoinz said:

Not bad if it's actually warm! It's 4*c in Calgary and the rain has turned into snow. My family and I finished planting the garden over the long weekend. I'm just hoping the plants survive the cold. 

Unless they are very delicate plants, they should be fine.. it is not freezing, and tbh, scorching heat and drought is worse for plants. Moisture is needed for plants right now. Then a bit of sun and they will be flourishing in no time. +6°C here right now.

1 - Had an awesome day taking advantage of the recently expired stay home order in MN to go for a long relaxing drive. I haven't gone anywhere aside from work or picking up stuff for about 8-9 weeks now. I was able to stop in a few towns and get some photos, visit a really cool thrift shop, and also do a little bus fanning down in Rochester. (photos from the street only while being very careful to follow all guidelines for social distancing of course) Got a nice wave from an operator too.

2 - Just got a note from HR at work that due to my annual rollover date for PTO being soon and due to the COVID-19 situation, they are temporarily suspending the maximum rollover allowance on PTO days. So now I don't need to spend two and a half weeks just sitting around at home to use up my excess time. I'm still taking the time I had scheduled previously for BHA though as regardless of being able to travel or not I need a little break. :) 

7 hours ago, Greatcoinz said:

Funny, I just put out an aloe (from when I lived in Florida) and a poinsettia (from this past Christmas) last week thinking that the cold had finally gone north (from 35° - 55° to 65° - 85°); no, Tuesday night it dropped down into the low 50s! ? Looking at the plants today, thy seem to have survived. As Cap'n Trolley said, most plants are quite hardy, yours should be fine. Let us know.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:48 PM, PCC Guy said:

Well, if they can't bring me to the trolleybuses, at least I could, in a small way, have the trolleybuses brought to me. Hopefully I catch the live show before I'm old and grey!

Can you post a photo of one of the trackless trolleys in the book? I have always liked them; one from my hometown of Baltimore, Maryland:

BTCoTrackless002.thumb.jpg.0e97c410307b9a7422d241a876bf601f.jpg

BTCoTrackless003.thumb.jpg.c84284b7bae1683fd9a6f90fdc7164f8.jpg

BTCoTrackless004.thumb.jpg.0056fd10d44b98b69eadc0b2e474f0d9.jpg

BTCoTrackless005.thumb.jpg.66ebff03d99d7235a1985bd2d315beba.jpg

2078 was rescued from a used car lot and towed to the Bush Street MTA bus garage; it was not towed by the shortest route, though: a fan trip was "run" over a mix of the old trackless routes. Fun was had by all; especially me on the trackless. So I can say that I rode the last trackless to operate over the streets of Charm City! ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Can you post a photo of one of the trackless trolleys in the book? I have always liked them; one from my hometown of Baltimore, Maryland:

Sure!

Imhd.sk is the largest transportation enthusiast resource in Slovakia. They cover most large cities in the country, and they have a huge section just for Bratislava. They are both in Slovak and in English, so I am attaching their trolleybus photo gallery, where you can browse photos of the vehicles according to their type:

https://imhd.sk/ba/gallery/26/Trolleybuses?gsd=0

Hope you enjoy :)

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Sure! ...snip... Hope you enjoy :)

I definitely did. There were two older trackless.  #53 and #152 that looked like they were coming at you when in reality they were going away. Also, I am extremely fascinated by the trolley pole design on the MAN MPE; stacked instead of side-by-side. Hmmm, looking at the map, the longest lines seem to be the 204 and 212.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I definitely did. There were two older trackless.  #53 and #152 that looked like they were coming at you when in reality they were going away. Also, I am extremely fascinated by the trolley pole design on the MAN MPE; stacked instead of side-by-side. Hmmm, looking at the map, the longest lines seem to be the 204 and 212.

You are correct! The 212 is the longest route, 12.1 km in length. The second longest is the 201, which is 10.9 km.

The 204 is 9.0 km in length.

53 and 152 are Škoda 9 Trs. Not my favourite of theirs (that would be the 15 TrMs, which are numbered 6617-6639), but undoubtedly a handsome vehicle. Interestingly, this type of trolleybus made it out as far west as Bergen, Norway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Do you mean like this.. it's called concentric pole mount. I was fascinated first time I saw this photo.

That's the one!

65-Vozov%C5%88a.jpg?3116397378

• Like 1

The lawns are mowed and some weed pulling is done.  Three yard waste bags with got dropped off.

9FEE399A-282F-43C5-B898-1B75D14E8A48.thumb.jpeg.43e3d86e80a6080b125dbee7b24e8d49.jpeg

Discounted rib steaks were purchased.

2FE0A0E8-EF8B-4ED8-BA5F-9BEEA945508C.thumb.jpeg.9abeeab846248b0439276ef3a1a691e4.jpeg

The fire pit is lit up.

23A124B5-6DCB-4A68-9118-1D0AE6300979.thumb.jpeg.cbac79d52fcc2a24f4ed2a052ebae583.jpeg

The sun’s going down.  One of my football friends is visiting.  The charcoal in the BBQ is lighting up and sweet potatoes and asparagus and garlic bread are waiting to go, and the back yard is bathed in the cosy warm glow of the fire and hot tungsten filaments.  It’s a beautiful Saturday evening.  Fuck COVID-19.

• Like 7