General FY Moments

Orion VIII

Fuck off.  I don’t need some jerk from the Ontario government to tell me how to barbecue a chicken.  What’s with that vomit inducing sauce recipe?  Anyways, that pretty much summarizes this fart blowing contest of a province right there.  The world’s blandest barbecue chicken.

That Ontario government recipe is one to NOT try out.   Luckily I have some that are actually good.   First you need some heat when it’s -7 out.

50137762-EE18-418F-BEC0-7DBAA45887CE.thumb.jpeg.b675944506573e0337f4307e4cd06a7d.jpeg

A cheap IMO $100 Kijiji barbecue should appeal to that Ontario tyrannical frugality.

DF7E0721-682F-48D5-9EAD-A3FD286EB602.thumb.jpeg.7df542064db824b1dd128fc569cbd030.jpeg

It’s going to be a late dinner but when this dry rub barbecue chicken and roast potatoes are ready, it’s going to be good unlike that deadly bland overcooked cardboard crap the government’s pushing.

DC812594-A91F-42F8-87FA-641EE6FF136D.thumb.jpeg.d4858b8d0b8e6906941df36247b3ef20.jpeg

Doug Ford can stay the hell away from me and stay the hell away from my barbecue!

• Haha 2

Today's been the perfect winter day.

Not too cold, just right, and no precipitation.  Day off.  I'd invited of my best friends and his fiancee over for dinner a few weeks ago and we made plans for today.  He requested smoked ribs and those are a popular request so this morning I had to get prepared for that.  I slept in, had brunch at the local fifties diner, then made a few stops on the way home to pick up supplies and then filled up the bottom of the smoker with charcoal and got it preheating while I prepared the ribs.  Luckily I had some rub on hand and some homemade barbecue sauce in the fridge so it was pretty straightforward and I've had a fire laid in the fireplace since October but haven't had a chance to enjoy a relaxing evening in the living room so far this winter so that was all ready to go too.  Cleaned up the kitchen, baked cookies, got some veggies ready.

The guests arrived and we enjoyed catching up and shooting the breeze and my friend's fiancee spotted the record player on top of the stereo cabinet and was intrigued by the big speakers on either side of the fireplace and asked if she could hear it so I got out some records and we spun probably half a dozen albums this evening sitting by the fire except for when we were in the kitchen eating.  The food turned out beautifully and all three of us totally pigged out.  After a few more albums by the fire and shooting the breeze in the living room, it was almost time for them to go but my friend wanted to see what I've done with the workshop downstairs so I led the way and showed them the new setup.  My friend's a former radio comms guy so I was going over the RF capabilities on my test bench and he was explaining to his fiancee what his previous job was.  I fired up the audio analyzer, a frequency counter and a scope and demonstrated some baseband stuff and lit up a spectrum analyzer and a signal generator and hooked up an antenna.  Did a span of 88-108 MHz and asked the fiancee what her favourite radio station was and tuned it in graphically on the spectrum analyzer as well as on a radio receiver.  Demonstrated amplitude modulation and frequency modulation with the signal generator, and showed off two pieces of customer work that are in progress and it quickly turned into two engineers playing in a lab and they ended up staying quite a bit later than planned.

After they left, I put new wood in the fireplace which had burnt down to embers and got that going again.  Now it's just the cat and I relaxing as the last of the evening runs down.  What a perfect way to spend a winter day off work.  FY.

• Like 2

The shopping complex across the road from my place is slowly beginning to reveal itself. Supposed to be reminiscent of Amsterdam housing facades, although why they are naming it Manchester Square is a bit of a mystery. Photo one is what is currently showing out from under all the tarp, and photo two is the 'artists rendition' of the completed structure.

Photo2812.jpg

across the street.JPG

• Like 3

On 1/5/2020 at 3:11 PM, captaintrolley said:

The shopping complex across the road from my place is slowly beginning to reveal itself. Supposed to be reminiscent of Amsterdam housing facades, although why they are naming it Manchester Square is a bit of a mystery. Photo one is what is currently showing out from under all the tarp, and photo two is the 'artists rendition' of the completed structure.

Very charming!

Free sample!

64CC55F2-281E-4F5E-ACD1-A6106DFB0F93.thumb.jpeg.cd274f5cdfd0b01988776f7821c48b7e.jpeg

I can’t wait to try it out on a sunny day with good weather.

It’ll be interesting to see how it looks.  I haven’t tried the new Ektachrome yet and nobody I’ve asked so far including the people at the camera store has been able to tell me whether the new manufacture Ektachrome is closer to the old E100G or E100VS which were the last Ektachrome films Kodak made before reintroducing it.

• Like 5