General FY Moments

Orion VIII

• 2 weeks later...

So they are replacing all the balconies on our building. I'm on the corner and mine will be the last one to be replaced. They are supposed to start Monday.. Tuesday (Sept 24) at the latest. My room mate brought in her bike yesterday. Tonight I brought in my storage tub (contains various bags of bird and squirrel food for my 'critters') I also brought in the broom, the base for my storage tub and the blocks that go under it. Not a lot of stuff, but heavy and awkward enough.  My feeders are all washed and ready to be put back 'In Service' once the new balcony is up.

IMG_4767.JPG

IMG_4768.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

An FY / FML combo moment.  

FY: Balcony replacement has begun. They ripped out the material this morning. Been waiting all summer for this to get done.

FML: Gotta keep my windows closed because this process is kicking up a lot of dust. Love my bedroom window open, especially now that it is a bit cooler and fresher outside.

IMG_4770.JPG

I got a lot of kitchen cleanup done.  It needed it.  My place got bad over the summer and it really could stand a top to bottom thorough change of the seasons cleaning for sure.  That stove was caked in crap.  I got a good debt put into it today. 

The first fall smoker session’s wrapped up with some delicious fall off the bone side ribs and there’s a great little radius of cosiness and warmth in the back yard around the fire pit. 

912BDC7F-4DDA-45E7-969C-735F6D09B833.jpeg

D64DAC4E-A1AF-4483-88D8-107461973A87.jpeg

2999D1F7-ABB9-48B6-99C7-F6820FB1C031.jpeg

AD6C0C53-64A6-40BE-98E3-259B39335BC2.jpeg

• Like 1

That brief heatwave over yesterday has broken and the fall weather's returned.  I have a couple of midweek days off before starting the stupid midnight shift again, but I enjoyed sleeping in.  I've got all the windows open, it's raining, and I've got a late breakfast/early lunch cooking and I'm enjoying my second cup of coffee while Carole King's Tapestry spins on the turntable.  This is actually something I picked up from Danny Cohen at Seashore Trolley Museum, putting on some quiet music while cooking breakfast.  The last time a couple friends and I stayed at his place (and I shudder to think how long ago that was), we worked through a boxed set of Edit Piaf records a couple of sides on the turntable each morning while making breakfast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Balcony is coming along nicely... Can't wait till it is done and I can put the bird / squirrel feeders out again.

IMG_4781.JPG

Is that a carpet I see?

While I like carpeting over tile or wood, I personally wouldn't use it on an outdoor balcony unless it was specifically designed for outdoor use. 

Balcony is done, and various feeders ( a peanut holder, two types of suet holders, a home made nut holder - for the squirrel-  and the conventional bird feeder) are all in place awaiting the hungry menagerie. As I type, the squirrel is already back and stashing (and nibbling between stash runs). 

IMG_4786.JPG

IMG_4787.JPG

IMG_4788.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4791.JPG

• Like 3

Right now there’s a small radius around the fire pit where it’s nice and warm and it feels like a summer night.

Step a bit further back and the temperature drops like a stone and you can feel the cold and the damp.  You can see the dew that’s formed on the lids on the two barbecues nearby, but where I’m sitting, the hardwood splints in the fire pit are doing a great job pushing back the fall and making the summer outdoor season last just a little bit longer.  I don’t know how many more weekends I’ll be able to stretch it for so I’m enjoying it while I can.

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

B1D231AD-74D9-49A4-8127-E158F96EF8B1.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 7:28 PM, Wayside Observer said:

Right now there’s a small radius around the fire pit where it’s nice and warm and it feels like a summer night.

Step a bit further back and the temperature drops like a stone and you can feel the cold and the damp.  You can see the dew that’s formed on the lids on the two barbecues nearby, but where I’m sitting, the hardwood splints in the fire pit are doing a great job pushing back the fall and making the summer outdoor season last just a little bit longer.  I don’t know how many more weekends I’ll be able to stretch it for so I’m enjoying it while I can.

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

B1D231AD-74D9-49A4-8127-E158F96EF8B1.jpeg

I’m camping and have a roaring fire and same here, you step away it’s 4 degrees but when you get close it feel like 40 degrees and there really isn’t much of an in between

8C459B07-CBFC-42DE-A075-7E39EE32CB5F.thumb.jpeg.93b6d2ae1be69d83e4f22ea9444e93a2.jpeg

E0519007-DF6D-47D6-9021-98F95B49FD4E.jpeg

18 hours ago, Thomasw said:

I’m camping and have a roaring fire and same here, you step away it’s 4 degrees but when you get close it feel like 40 degrees and there really isn’t much of an in between

I know.  I've never really understood why that is with camp fires.  It's like getting positioned is an all or nothing proposition where you get the full blast or the heat or you can see the fire but not feel it if you back off and there's no smooth gradient going between the two.

• Like 2

Picked up this beauty at the Halton County Museum gift shop this evening. A comprehensive photo book detailing the various classes of British steam locomotive, from before the end of steam (1963).

20191019_184133.jpg

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Picked up this beauty at the Halton County Museum gift shop this evening. A comprehensive photo book detailing the various classes of British steam locomotive, from before the end of steam (1963).

20191019_184133.jpg

Interesting, is that a book about the BR steam locomotives that they built, or the whole fleet which was mostly inherited from the pre-nationalization private companies?  To me, Brit Rail's best original work was the big electrics they built for the West Coast mainline and East Coast mainline electrifications plus some of the diesels like the HSTs.  BR's own work with steam locomotives was brief and not all that groundbreaking by comparison.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Interesting, is that a book about the BR steam locomotives that they built, or the whole fleet which was mostly inherited from the pre-nationalization private companies?  To me, Brit Rail's best original work was the big electrics they built for the West Coast mainline and East Coast mainline electrifications plus some of the diesels like the HSTs.  BR's own work with steam locomotives was brief and not all that groundbreaking by comparison.

It's not a technical guide or anything of the sort, but its focus is to capture everything that British Railway ever owned, from nationalization up to the printing of the book. So it features a showcase of their own locos as well as anything which happened to come into their possession in 1948, including stock which only briefly ran in service, or didn't even run and was struck from their roster shortly afterwards.

I've never read too deeply on the ins and outs of what made their locos important (I have a surface level knowledge of most of the important stuff, like the A3s and A4s), but from a visual perspective I've always found the Standard 9F and Class 52 diesel to be particularly visually striking. And then there's the ex-LNER Peppercorn A1, which is probably my favourite locomotive ever. One day I'd like to travel to the UK and photograph Tornado in action, but that's sadly a few years away still.