General FY Moments

Orion VIII

3 hours ago, Greatcoinz said:

Enjoying my first day off after working eight consecutive days / around 60 Hours. It felt weird to get up and realize that I'm actually off work and have no obligations for the day.

I used to love doing 8 straight and having four off together.

• 2 weeks later...

Since they are doing balcony replacements where I live, and my balcony is scheduled to be replaced this summer (although it looks like it might not be till October), I have both my bird feeders washed and brought inside. In the interim I have set up some temporary (disposable) feeders. I originally started with one, and was combining the suet bits with the peanuts in one container. However the magpies would toss out the peanuts because they wanted the suet,  and the squirrels would toss out the suet bits in favor of the peanuts. So I've settled the score and now have two separate containers for each food. 

I sprinkle bird seed on the ledge for the sparrows, they prefer the seed.  However all the wind and rain keep blowing the seed around. I will get a small tub for the seed soon.

IMG_4737.JPG

IMG_4738.JPG

IMG_4739.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

• Like 2

A recent visitor to my yard, I almost stepped on him going into the house. When I came back out to finish unloading the groceries, I saw him and stepped around him. I got the camera and took this photo while he just sat there. It is an Eastern Garter Snake, a really good snake to have around the place.

163832256_Snakeeasterngarter-01.thumb.JPG.86697aad1e8f4128e3c97f2a661a1746.JPG

Note that the snake ranges in all the states east of the Mississippi and quite a few west of it. I suspect that southern Canada has them too as they do not respect international boundaries!?

In case you don't know it already, in Hong Kong (where I am working for the next year or two), there is a smart card known as the Octopus card, used in much the same way as my Presto card in Toronto. When I arrived home today, I found out my card had a negative balance, meaning I needed to reload it before I could use it again. Since I needed it tomorrow to travel from home, I needed to load money onto it.

Back when the card was first introduced, the only way to load money was to do so in person at a transit station or a retail outlet, the nearest of which was over 2 kilometres from my home. The card has since evolved, and now it is possible to load it directly from a bank account. Since I opened one last month in advance to deposit my working pay (the first month of which came earlier this week), I was able to set it up instantly, though it required several steps.

I first had to link my bank account to Octopus ePay, a digital wallet application, via the protocol known as electronic Direct Debit Authorization. It took me some effort to find the Octopus payee option via my bank's online banking interface, but I eventually did it. Next, I had to load my Octopus ePay account from it - once I did, I was instantly able to transfer some that balance to my physical Octopus card by using the NFC feature on my phone - something Metrolinx is still having trouble with it seems...

And now, I have a positive balance on my card and can be assured I will be able to get to work tomorrow... if I don't get stuck amidst striking protesters...

I went to the Farmers Market to purchase some Rainier Cherries today.  I go there every Sunday in the summer. I have been amassing quite the collection of plastic produce bags from them. So today I brought one of their produce bags from home for reuse. Since I brought my own bag, this netted me an extra handful of cherries and a big smile and a hearty 'Thank You see you next week ' from the nice stall attendant.

• Like 2

Beef brisket has successfully been obtained but wow, for a junky, tough cut of meat, those are getting pricey.  I’ve heard it’s due to the supply and demand economics of all the bbq joints that have opened up over the last few years that make those and have caused prices to go up.

Oh and for kicks and giggles, I had to bust out my programmer’s calculator, set a 32 but word size and load up the X register with the appropriate hex value.  Wonder if Steve Munro approves?  He is supposed to be a bearded Unix guy from back in the day.

FA77AB43-5D3A-4360-BC77-51D212BE1B01.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

Oh yeah!   The brisket is off the smoker after almost 12 hours of cooking and is resting wrapped up on a cutting board.  These are tough cuts of meat to cook.  Hopefully it turns out as good as it smells.

That looks exquisite. The crunchy well done bits are my favorite.

2 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

That looks exquisite. The crunchy well done bits are my favorite.

I think everyone loves the crispy parts of the bark and the burnt ends are the best part of beef briskets.  I love the bark too.

The brisket was a success despite my awful hack job of trimming it when I was getting it ready this morning.  The bark turned out nicely and the meat inside is incredibly tender and juicy wonderfully beefy meet that the four of us here are sinking our teeth into.  Fabulous. With the way briskets are a challenging, difficult cut of meat to cook that can be fantastic or just as easily turn into a large, expensive piece of shoe leather, I’m glad this one turned out beautifully.

70E2C190-15C5-4648-8DE3-4C2F5DC0D72A.jpeg

80968292-783B-4A66-A873-AB424F9E0914.jpeg

• Like 1

Deal of the year.  All day today (Mon. Aug. 12, 2019)  Boston Pizza has their Individual size (8 inch) pizzas on special for $5.00. Dine in only. Reg price around $14.99

They call it 'High Five Day '. It is actually BP's birthday on Aug 12. Today they turn 55 !!!

I stopped in at BP on my way home from the pool and tried their new 'El Dorado ' spicy pizza.  It was pretty good. I was gonna get their Bacon Double Cheeseburger pizza, but they took that one off the menu.

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to pick up a free bird feeder 'starter kit' with a coupon from this past weekends Journal paper. Consists of a small tube feeder and a 2lb  bag of 'No Mess' Wild Bird Seed Blend.  Hey, free is free. I have feeders and such, but this makes a nice Christmas Gift. Starting early you avoid a big cash outlay all at once, and avoid the crowds and mark ups too.

IMG_4750.JPG

• Like 1

Scored a half price Mocha Cake from Dutch Delicious Bakery (their 13th Anniversary Sale), and a 2lb bag  of birdseed (free sample) from Wild Birds Unlimited. Also went to K & K Foodliner on the south side (my first time there) and bought a couple jars of Wolski's Balkan Salad. Very yummy but not many places stock it.

IMG_4754.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

A Telus Tech has moved into the building and has just posted on our community website that he is willing to help residents with all things relating to Telus. He is going to be one busy dude. I've already sent a request asking him if the FIOS battery is necessary and if it isn't, if it could be disabled. Sure it is power back up if there is a power outage.  However if the power goes out, my computer is not gonna work anyway.