General FY Moments

Orion VIII

42 minutes ago, 7575 said:

Ok, thanks. I had a good chuckle when I first saw that. I got my snipers ready until then. I'll sell them to Langille's when I'm done.

Name suggestions anyone?

Allison. Tell your wife it’s after the Elvis Costello song, not the brand of transmission.?

• Haha 4

My wife is due on May 1st. I'm getting more and more nervous as time goes by. This is my first go-around so I'm understandably scared. The nursery is barely started but I still have 9 weeks to go. I'm not usually anxious, but over the past 2 weeks, I've been shaking randomly and I've been scared for no reason at random times. Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the birth of my first child?

On 2/26/2019 at 7:12 PM, 7575 said:

My wife is due on May 1st. I'm getting more and more nervous as time goes by. This is my first go-around so I'm understandably scared. The nursery is barely started but I still have 9 weeks to go. I'm not usually anxious, but over the past 2 weeks, I've been shaking randomly and I've been scared for no reason at random times. Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the birth of my first child?

Take whatever baby advice books you’ve collected, and toss them out the window. The plan is: there is no plan. I have bad news for your social life outside of home though...but you’re a fairly new operator, so it was probably in the dumpster anyway.

Tuck n’ roll. You’ll be fine. If I can do it ANYBODY can. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Happened a few days ago. I went to my first Rubik's Cube Competition of 2019. (Been to 8 other comps since 2016!)I didn't expect anything as I haven't had much time for practice in nearly two months. I ended up getting beating my competition best of 14.48 Seconds (Mean of 5 Cubes), getting 18th out of 49th Place and also won a door prize. I still don't know how I beat my previous average which was 16.47 seconds as I focused on school over the hobby. Luck I guess? 

Now I wonder how long will it take to beat that average... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TechSpotlight said:

I accidentally left my earbuds in my hoodie when I put it in the washing machine a few days ago.  Luckily, they still work fine after I’ve aired them out.

Airpods would never do that...

• Haha 1

So last year I needed a bit of extra scratch (with property tax and what not around the corner) so I went to the bank to loosen up a bit of my savings that I have tied up in various things. Really nothing was very close to maturing, but the financial advisor was able to move around something and take it out from where it was and put it into a 'Momentum Premium' savings account, and he also unlocked (? if that is the correct term) one of my RRSPs.  Then he warned me that there is a penalty for cashing an RRSP early and that I would probably have to pay 'dearly' in income tax this year. 

So today I went to get my (and mom's) taxes done at Happy Returns'. I was fearing the worst, when the (very) nice lady tells me I am getting a refund !!! Wow, it's been forever since I have gotten a refund. $1,xxx.xx smackaroos !!!. That should cover most of this years property tax.

15 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Just got AdBlocker installed. Loving not being bombarded with a plethora of ads everywhere ♥

Just in time too with all the political ads coming up. I got Adblock when YouTube deleted some of my favorite channels. Figured it was pointless giving the company money if I can't watch my favorite content makers.  As much I am against the idea because ads support content creators and websites, the advertisement is getting way too aggressive. If I really support a cause or channel, I'll give to there Patreon or Paypal. Now I wish there was one for the YouTube app for Apple or Android. Getting frustrated with ads from political groups. I've already decided who to vote for a long time ago, your stupid ad isn't gonna give you a vote from me. (Blah blah, first world problems)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Just got AdBlocker installed. Loving not being bombarded with a plethora of ads everywhere ♥

I am using AdBlock Plus with FireFox 66.0 and get very few ads. I do get notices (especially with Photophuquet) stating "You are using an ad blocker, please disable it to continue." Like he!! I will!. Anyway, I have been a Mozilla fan for years. As a sidebar I now use DuckDuckGo as a browser, it does not track your browsing like google.

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

I am using AdBlock Plus with FireFox 66.0 and get very few ads. I do get notices (especially with Photophuquet) stating "You are using an ad blocker, please disable it to continue." Like he!! I will!. Anyway, I have been a Mozilla fan for years. As a sidebar I now use DuckDuckGo as a browser, it does not track your browsing like google.

I have AdBlock Plus and FireFox. I tried DuckDuckGo but found I didn't like it as much as Google. I should give it another try.

Back at work, it was Friday afternoon so my workplace had its usual group game. The organizer of the game had us form teams, and then deliver an impromptu presentation based on a seemingly unorthodox PowerPoint slide show with only 30 seconds to review them beforehand. The intention was to garnish audience support primarily through humour. Out of four teams of 5-8 members each plus one guy from the organizing class, our team and the one-man "team" were voted to a one-on-one battle for supremacy.

In this final round, our assigned slide show was about "A Presentation About Making Presentations", consisting of a couple of slides with tongue-twisting words, followed by some with images. The tongue twisters really tied up my teammates' speech, but as for the images... I found myself involuntarily blurting out sound effects. But instead of ruining the party, it entertained the crowd so much, they voted for us over the one-man team and we shared a bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Bites ... plus a special prize for my role in our victory ... dare to guess?

On 3/18/2019 at 1:01 PM, Greatcoinz said:

Just in time too with all the political ads coming up. I got Adblock when YouTube deleted some of my favorite channels. Figured it was pointless giving the company money if I can't watch my favorite content makers.  As much I am against the idea because ads support content creators and websites, the advertisement is getting way too aggressive. If I really support a cause or channel, I'll give to there Patreon or Paypal. Now I wish there was one for the YouTube app for Apple or Android. Getting frustrated with ads from political groups. I've already decided who to vote for a long time ago, your stupid ad isn't gonna give you a vote from me. (Blah blah, first world problems)

You can program a MicroPi to block ads right from your router. Costs about $20 for hardware, I believe.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2019 at 9:52 PM, captaintrolley said:

I have AdBlock Plus and FireFox. I tried DuckDuckGo but found I didn't like it as much as Google. I should give it another try.

There are some (minor) things that I do not like about DuckDuckGo (where in the merry he!! did they get that name??:huh:) but overall I am satisfied with it..

16 minutes ago, 7575 said:

Wife is due in one month. To be honest, I'm scared shitless.

You will be fine.  My son has three kids, about two years apart each. Seriously, if he can do it, you can do it. His worst hurdle was baby-poop diapers triggering his gag reflex. So if that's the worst of it, consider yourself fortunate. Just make sure you have someone reliable that you can count on to baby sit so you and the wife can take a parenting break once in a while. Taking care of your sanity is important and does not make you inadequate.

Just now, captaintrolley said:

You will be fine.  My son has three kids, about two years apart each. Seriously, if he can do it, you can do it. His worst hurdle was baby-poop diapers triggering his gag reflex. So if that's the worst of it, consider yourself fortunate. Just make sure you have someone reliable that you can count on to baby sit so you and the wife can take a parenting break once in a while. Taking care of your sanity is important and does not make you inadequate.

Thanks Terry. I'm not sure why I'm still scared as I've had months to prepare. The nursery isn't ready, I'm going back to school, there's multiple problems with the house that would NEED to be fixed if there's gonna be a newborn around and a ton of other crap. My main goal is to keep my head up and stay optimistic. I'm mainly scared of not being a good-enough father. I guess I just need to look at the positives and be there to help my wife get ready to push out our little bundle of joy.