Greyhound Run/Schedule Changes

roeco

Yea but even though the revenue may not be as much from passengers on a long haul trip, the freight would still pay for the bus.

How much of your friends or family even knows that Greyhound has a parcel service that carries freight across Canada. I bet most of them don't, I can tell you the same thing.

The average person only looks at greyhound as a bus service that carries passengers from point A to point B, C, E, F, G and stores their suitcase underneath.

Instead of being stingy, why not put out some advertisements on the rear of the buses, or use billboards or radio advertisements during Thanksgiving or Christmas.

A small dinky decal on the front door stating that there's extra leg room, WiFi and outlets doesn't do any justice when people are blowing by in cars on the highway.

There is so many things wrong with Greyhound that needs to be dealt with very quickly, because the ship is sinking rapidly.

Seems like Dallas and First Group says, "if you cut this many miles this year, your bonus will increase at the end of the year."

Actually I believe only BC is regulated...As Greyhound can not just drop runs in Bc just because.! And Greyhounds Package Express business is quite extensive...They have Tractor Trailers and 5 tons doing exclusive Freight Runs mostly BC and Alberta. I think they kinda shot themselves in the foot when they brought online tickets into play....They basically discounted the prices online and that's what most people buy now...Instead of just offering like a 10-15% incentive to buy online its like 30-50% at times. Greyhound management does NOT listen to their employees or the Union if they did they would not be where they are now...! Sure reduce service but what happens to those people that would have taken the bus...they disappear. As of Sept 20 Greyhound plans to have 1 Trans Canada Hwy Schedule Calgary to Toronto....that is just unheard of if they are trying to make their business better. If Anything they should reduce One Schedule to only run like 6 days a week. Or introduce seat sales. Its understandable to maybe make a seasonal change on part of the route..! Two schedules for TCH service is ideal ....I do understand sure maybe do a seasonal reduction from say Winnipeg to Sudbury. They wont save any money by reducting that service to 1 schedule a day as passenger loads are pretty heavy during breaks/holidays and long weekends on both schedule1

I think a lot of it also has to do with which routes generate revenue against those that run at a loss. I can't comment on parcel portion of Greyhound as I don't know how that is?

But for routes though I can't comment on any US routes or most in Canada, I do know, the Ottawa-Toronto & Ottawa-Montreal routes seem to be always busy, as to what other routes in Canada or the US are busy like the OTT-TO & OTT-MTRL. I have no clue.

Many routes have seasonal variations...Almost every major route is busy in Summers. Parcel Express is busy but used to be much busier. The Trans Canada routes Vancouver to Calgary has 4 buses a day. And Calgary to Winnipeg has 2 a day via TCH #1. But that's about to be cut to 1 a day...kinda strange since for most of the year their busy. All Summer they were running mostly 75%. The GCX on the Calgary to Regina portion is more than one bus can handle...so who knows maybe they'll put a truck on that run. And I would think that they would add the 2nd run back at Christmas/Holidays and Summers!

oh really...hmm I wonder why the Ontario Govt would let Greyhound cut one schedule a day all the way from Man/on border to Sudbury and Toronto/Ottawa via TCH leaving 1 schedule a day

and to boot most of the routes were running at or near 75% capacity on each schedule....so weird...maybe Pacific Western should get bigger into the Intercity bus business they could sure give Greyhound a run for their money.

oh really...hmm I wonder why the Ontario Govt would let Greyhound cut one schedule a day all the way from Man/on border to Sudbury and Toronto/Ottawa via TCH leaving 1 schedule a day

and to boot most of the routes were running at or near 75% capacity on each schedule....so weird...maybe Pacific Western should get bigger into the Intercity bus business they could sure give Greyhound a run for their money.

They only regulated the route not the runs

Ontario should still be too. As Megabus and Pacific Western wanted to get into Greyhound routes but have been shut down by the province.

Both wanted to run Toronto to London service

They only regulated the route not the runs

Both wanted to run Toronto to London service

Well it seems like GO Transit is working their way into that corridor. There's already been several occasions where we've seen Go Transit double Deckers with managers mapping out routes around Western University. I've asked many GO drivers and they said London and Brantford is next on their list.

If you take a trip to Aberfoyle Station, check out the construction going on and the new garage they've built. It's possible that they may house some coaches for the planned run.

Obviously they won't be aloud to run express from London to Toronto because that's Greyhound territory, and they would have to start logging their hours but, it would make sense to run their routes local from London/Kitchener/Guelph, London/Woodstock/Brantford/Hamilton.

Remember Go's mandate is to serve every University in Ontario. And Greyhound is striving to run express routes only. It's only a matter of time till Peterborough and the Barrie division is wiped out.

Well it seems like GO Transit is working their way into that corridor. There's already been several occasions where we've seen Go Transit double Deckers with managers mapping out routes around Western University. I've asked many GO drivers and they said London and Brantford is next on their list.

If you take a trip to Aberfoyle Station, check out the construction going on and the new garage they've built. It's possible that they may house some coaches for the planned run.

Obviously they won't be aloud to run express from London to Toronto because that's Greyhound territory, and they would have to start logging their hours but, it would make sense to run their routes local from London/Kitchener/Guelph, London/Woodstock/Brantford/Hamilton.

Remember Go's mandate is to serve every University in Ontario. And Greyhound is striving to run express routes only. It's only a matter of time till Peterborough and the Barrie division is wiped out.

GO has already muscled into parts of some corridors that were previously exclusive to coach operators, but they typically only compete indirectly. They did this with the Kitchener/Waterloo corridor (UW to Square One), the Niagara corridor (Niagara Falls to Burlington to meet the GO Train), the Peterborough corridor (Trent/Peterborough to Oshawa), and even the Barrie corridor (Barrie to Newmarket). In this way, they cater more to local traffic, i.e. people not heading to Downtown Toronto, but there's more frequent trips and often cheaper.

I can see an expansion to Brantford happening eventually for commuter runs into Hamilton, but London is very far down the highway and is a multiple hour drive from Toronto. GO coaches are not equipped with washrooms so they can't feasibly operate trips that are longer than about 2 hours.

So does this mean we'll eventually see GO Transit operating into Windsor and probably Detroit?

So does this mean we'll eventually see GO Transit operating into Windsor and probably Detroit?

Detroit no, Windsor it's likely but if that was the case, they would leave Windsor for last. Queens University in Kingston would be a bigger priority, they already have Trent.

It says their cutting daytime bus from Ottawa. That would be nearly impossible unless u want it to have No ridership. As it gets into Sudbury at 630 am the only remainin bus West will leave at 7pm..! For Driver rotations and a better scheduling situation in Winnipeg they should keep the 1 am from Toronto and 1201 am out of Ottawa. and then keep The 4 pm Fri and Sun out of Ottawa. It would make more sense to keep Schedule 5601 all the way to Calgary as it makes better connections in Winnipeg and Regina through to Calgary.

Sometimes companies deliberately sabotage their business to make a case to get out of the business.

It might be that Greyhound is looking to make the case that there is not enough ridership to sustain the route and make the case to drop the route all together.

Would any other bus companies be willing to take over the route? Coach Canada?

Sometimes companies deliberately sabotage their business to make a case to get out of the business. It might be that Greyhound is looking to make the case that there is not enough ridership to sustain the route and make the case to drop the route all together. Would any other bus companies be willing to take over the route? Coach Canada?

More like they want some government funding

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that Ontario Northland May be looking at providing some service where Greyhound is reducing it...This could be good for the people affected possibly Sudbury to Ottawa or North Bay-Sudbury-Sault Ste Marie that would could fill a huge gap left by Greyhound.

The BC passenger transportation board approved Greyhound's Route Eliminations on The Calgary to Cranbrook route which passeners will now use Sun City Coach and transfer in Golden for service elsewhere in BC or use Greyhounds Hwy 3 Schedule for service to Calgary and Edmonton and of course southern BC. Also eliminated will be Nanaimo to Campbell River to Port Hardy run which Tofino Bus Service has applied and been given permission to take over.! The Nanaimo to Port Hardy schedule will remain pretty much the same with a few tweaks, However the Local schedule from Nanaimo to Campbell River will actually be Improved. Lv Campbell River at 730am and Arrive in Nanaimo at 10:15 am. on the return it will leave Nanaimo at 520 pm arrive back in Campbell River at 730pm. This scheduling alone will be a massive improvement for that corridor, with much better connections all around!

It appears that Ontario Northland May be looking at providing some service where Greyhound is reducing it...This could be good for the people affected possibly Sudbury to Ottawa or North Bay-Sudbury-Sault Ste Marie that would could fill a huge gap left by Greyhound.

When you find out details please post here. If the runs are timed well with the trips from Toronto at Sudbury and North Bay the service should do well.