Greyhound Run/Schedule Changes

roeco

After about a quarter-century of pooling on the New York-Buffalo-Toronto line run, effective 15 December, Greyhound Canada and Trailways of New York (New York/Adirondack Trailways) are ending that pool. This was started when the carrier's were Gray Coach Lines and Empire Trailways (not sure of the exact date). Only GLI trips will continue to operate thru with GLC. The Trailways/GLC schedules will now require passenger's to transfer at Buffalo. See table 170 for details.....http://extranet.greyhound.com/Revsup/schedules/pageset.html

I was looking for a friend of mine who was planning to head to Toronto from Grande Prairie at Easter break and return a week later...However I've come upon some interesting schedule issues. He tried to book online and I again checked on trips thinkin somethings up... Eff it looks like mid Feb their is Only 1 East Schedule out of Calgary the 11:30am However coming back he was not even able to book anything at all!! As East of Winnipeg it shows only The 845am out of Winnipeg East and Heading West is even more mind boggling Shows u get into Winnipeg from Sudbury at 735am...And The Only 2 schedules going west lv Winnipeg at 11:30pm for Hwy 1 and I think 6:15pm Hwy 16. Does that not sound really weird or what!! And u cant go via Saskatoon it gets into Winnipeg at 915pm and leaves East at it looks like 845am!! I didnt think passenger volume was that bad to cancel an entire schedule from Calgary to Toronto>?>?

I just cant even imagine what Greyhound is thinking....Last summer they were running nearly full buses all summer...As passenger traffic increases a great deal in the summer on that schedule.Plus an Expess...Im just at a loss for words..and it shows on trips u cant go from Toronto to Sudbury?? maybe routing everything Toronto-Ottawa-Sudbury?? who knows

To keep all the accessible coaches south of the boarder?

The way the pool was operated for the last couple of years, that was not an issue, since TNY and GLI normally provided all the equipment (ADA compliant). GLC coaches only made rare appearances during holday's.

Certain operational issues....I can't really go into it beyond that....sorry.....

Just a heads-up for those that may want to photograph TNY equipment on the line in Toronto.....

So you can't elaberate on the actual "Certain operational issues" because you either don't know or you do know but you can't disclose because of your employment contract on divulging company information on a message board? You can share, we're discreet... lol

So you can't elaberate on the actual "Certain operational issues" because you either don't know or you do know but you can't disclose because of your employment contract on divulging company information on a message board? You can share, we're discreet... lol

I wouldn't pressure someone to divulge info that they feel they cannot speak about. It's just polite and it protects the company image in my opinion. Not knocking on you or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Effective Jan.14 The Yellowhead run out of Winnipeg will leave at 19:30 and arrive in Edmonton at 14:10. That should see a change in Edmonton departures to Grande Prairie,Calgary and possibly Fort McMurray. Also the East Departure out of Edmonton will change to 00:30.

• 2 weeks later...

Effective Jan 14 their will be some time and schedule adjustments out of Vancouver affecting Schedule 5010 will now leave at 6am and follow 5022 route as far as Chilliwack then continue on its reg schedule. Meanwhile 5022 will now leave at 815am arr in Osoyoos at 415pm and route via Hwy 1 from Vancouver stopping at Coquitlam,Langley and Chilliwack then its reg schedule from Chilliwack. 5003 Will Now Lv Osoyoos at 925am and follow its current routing to Vancouver arr at 555pm.

Also KELOWNA CHANGES... 5009 will continue its routing Salmon Arm to Kelowna arr at 445pm, However it will now Lv Kelowna at 6pm for Penticton arr at 710pm...Lv at 720 pm and returning to Kelowna arr at 830pm. Also Scheule 5028 will now start in Kelowna vs Penticton and follow its reg route to Cache Creek and return to Kelowna as 5017 and will no longer continue to Penticton.

• 1 month later...

SCHEDUL CHANGES...check it out!! Greyound has cancelled the Nanaimo to Campbell River local schedule on the Island. So the ONLY option for Courtenay or Campbell River will be one schedule a day;. Also the 9am Van to Kamloops is discontinued as well the 930 am Van to Kelowna wil be Fri/Sun only. Also 430 Kamloops-Van is cancelled and 6 pm Kel-Van is now Fri/Sun only. Plus some really wacky changes on Edmonton to Calgary corridor too.Also changes on Edmonton to Fort McMurry and Edmonton to Grande Prairie corridors

There are also two trips to and from Whistler cancelled

Yep the two Whistler Express buses. I noticed that on Whistler also times were re done. If they want to quit bleeding money on that run they should only run 3 trips as far as Pemberton thats all their Licence is for...but they r running 4. I wonder if we will see Tofino BUs try and pick up the Campbell River run as they were going to before but opted out when GCTC decided to keep it.

Other Edmonton Changes; Schedule 5156 Lv Edm 645am. Ar Sask 1315pm as well as Schedule 5409 Lv Sask at 1130am Arr Edm at 1810 will both be cancelled. Schedule 5413 will Leave Saskatoon at 1645pm Arr Edmonton at 2300 to make connections with schedule 5177 to Prince George/Vancouver.

Also The Grande Prairie truck schedule will continue to run 5 days a week

Also effective in March. Edm-Sask. 5156/5409 will be cancelled with timing adjustments on 5413 Lv Saskatoon 1645. Ar Edm at 2300 to connect with schedule 5177.Also the day schedule Winnipeg-Thompson will be cancelled in both directions as well as Thompson to Gillam and Cross Lake will be reduced to 5 days a week.Winnipeg to Flin Flon will now run 6 days a week.

• 4 weeks later...

Other Edmonton Changes; Schedule 5156 Lv Edm 645am. Ar Sask 1315pm as well as Schedule 5409 Lv Sask at 1130am Arr Edm at 1810 will both be cancelled. Schedule 5413 will Leave Saskatoon at 1645pm Arr Edmonton at 2300 to make connections with schedule 5177 to Prince George/Vancouver.

Also The Grande Prairie truck schedule will continue to run 5 days a week

Also effective in March. Edm-Sask. 5156/5409 will be cancelled with timing adjustments on 5413 Lv Saskatoon 1645. Ar Edm at 2300 to connect with schedule 5177.Also the day schedule Winnipeg-Thompson will be cancelled in both directions as well as Thompson to Gillam and Cross Lake will be reduced to 5 days a week.Winnipeg to Flin Flon will now run 6 days a week.

Yes, according to the Manitoba Gazette which publishes the applications and decisions of the Manitoba Motor Transport Board, Greyhound Canada has applied to cancel schedules 5439 & 5440 on Table 736 Winnipeg/Thompson, cancel Saturday trips on schedules 5410 & 5411 on Table 737 Winnipeg/Flin Flon, cancel Friday & Saturday trips on schedules 5443 & 5444 on Table 738 Thompson/Gillam, and cancel Sunday and Monday trips on schedules 5453 & 5454 on Table 739 Thompson/Cross Lake. There are miles being cut across the country, including the west as you described and the east, but I am not aware of what exactly the eastern cuts are.

I think all that East is mainly is frequency reductions on some trips

As for 5410 and 5411...Im not sure how that's gonna work cancelling Sat trips on both...cause if u lv Winnipeg 2030 on 5411 on a Fri and get into Flin Flon at 830 on Sat that means driver will have to wait until Sun night to return from Flin Flon to Winnipeg. That long of a layover would never work....That's why I think u will see 5410 from Flin Flon cancelled on Sun night instead of Sat.

I think all that East is mainly is frequency reductions on some trips

As for 5410 and 5411...Im not sure how that's gonna work cancelling Sat trips on both...cause if u lv Winnipeg 2030 on 5411 on a Fri and get into Flin Flon at 830 on Sat that means driver will have to wait until Sun night to return from Flin Flon to Winnipeg. That long of a layover would never work....That's why I think u will see 5410 from Flin Flon cancelled on Sun night instead of Sat.

I agree, it will be a long layover. I double checked the application that was submitted by Greyhound and approved by the Transport Board, as reported in the MB Gazette, and 5410 and 5411 are both cancelled on Saturday. Hmmm ... somebody miss something?

Im thinking I'll have to find out and will update when I do. However even The Trips ticket system says the exact same thing. Im thinking that they will need to change 5410 to Daily x Sun.

I also don't understand the Gillam schedule...Why would they not have it going up and back same day much like the Cross Lake one..cause if ur goin to Winnipeg from Split Lake or Gillam that makes for an awful long layover either way in THompson.

• 5 months later...

Well Its official more run cuts in the West.....First out of Edmonton.... Fort McMurray will now have only 2 schedules a day...7 days a week . The 130pm and midnight out of Edmonton and 730 am and 5 pm from Fort Mcmurray. Out of Calgary...to Lethbridge Will Lv Calgary at 830 am on Thur/Fri/Sun only and operate as an Express. and 10:15pm via Vulcan/High River and Okotoks to Lethbridge and Kootenays. On the return Lv Lethbridge from Kootenays 415am Daily and route via Vulcan/High River and Okotos.and 5pm on Thurs/Fri/Sun.as an Express. The Daytime TCH schedule will be cancelled 5230...As well as the inbound 5601 from East all the way to Toronto. I always thought as far as Regina both schedules did ok. Its beyond Regina I can understand the reasoning. But I would think it would be a seasonal change?? Who knows though.

Yea it's very unfortunate, A lot of spare & regular drivers from the Sudbury division is being laid off due to the cuts. The 12:15PM schedule out of Toronto is being terminated as well as an outbound Ottawa TCH schedule. Effective September 20th.

It's so sad just thinking about the small communities that really depend on intercity transit, but yet the federal government still overlooks this issue.

Greyhound actually helped build this country. But who knows if it will even exist 20 years from now.

Greyhounds biggest problem is Management does not listen to the Drivers and people who have been around along time. If they did u would see a much different company than u do today. Obviously they would not terminate schedules that are carrying people. If they were they would still be their. From What Im seeing the 12:15 from Toronto is being retained and the 1 am is being terminated. As the 1215 makes direct connections all the way across Canada and in Winnipeg via the TCH and Yellowhead Highways, and from what I can see their keepin the 10 am from Ottawa...unless its changed as if u go on greyhound.ca and do research u will see..If u kept the 1 am from Toronto and midnight from Ottawa it would be in Winnipeg at 745 am.... First bus West via Yellowhead is 730pm and 1130 pm via TCH.

What First needs to do is sell Greyhound to a company that looks at Freight and passengers together, Id bet any other company would look at TOTAL REVENUE not seperated....They say the company is loosing money I think it was around 14 million. Well that may be so but Im just guessing that Freight revenue is Making Money... And Id venture a Guess that if it wasn't Greyhound wouldn't be operating. Last I heard Freight made like 50 million or so.

Passengers make up most of Greyhounds revenue....and revenue per km per passenger....and Freight are currently separated even though its mostly hauled by a bus with passengers with a Trailer with freight in it. Greyhound used to have a very good advantage they could ship your package any day of the week to almost anyplace in Canada, Something No one else could do! They don't have that advantage as much as they used to any more and have lost freight business too due to their cutting runs. Same with passenger counts u feed the mainlines with feeders...well those feeders are getting to be less and the mainlines are suffering because of it.Long haul runs have passengers and freight as do most of the runs.