Jump to content
roeco

Greyhound Run/Schedule Changes

Recommended Posts

Doesn't Red Arrow use a shuttle van to Cold Lake as well?

What does Northern Express use to Cold Lake? Why don't they run a 102DL3 all the way up to Hay River instead of just High Level?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:03 PM, Swadian said:

Doesn't Red Arrow use a shuttle van to Cold Lake as well?

What does Northern Express use to Cold Lake? Why don't they run a 102DL3 all the way up to Hay River instead of just High Level?

Red Arrow does use a 13 passenger sprinter equipped with leather seats and wifi. As far as I know Northern Express uses an older coach..! If their was a demand for passenger service which Im sure its minimal...Frontier would have done it Im sure. Without a subsidy no point running it with under 10 passengers. I think that was Greyhound's average out of High Level north when they ran it. If a subsidy were available Im sure Frontier would do that corridor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, roeco said:

Red Arrow does use a 13 passenger sprinter equipped with leather seats and wifi. As far as I know Northern Express uses an older coach..! If their was a demand for passenger service which Im sure its minimal...Frontier would have done it Im sure. Without a subsidy no point running it with under 10 passengers. I think that was Greyhound's average out of High Level north when they ran it. If a subsidy were available Im sure Frontier would do that corridor.

Northern Express may have over-capacity if they use a full-size motorcoach. Maybe not if it's a 40-footer Cargo Combi and they have a monopoly over the market, but combined with the competitors, there might be too many ASMs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:30 PM, Swadian said:

Northern Express may have over-capacity if they use a full-size motorcoach. Maybe not if it's a 40-footer Cargo Combi and they have a monopoly over the market, but combined with the competitors, there might be too many ASMs.

they may use something different now, but last time I saw it was a older motor coach. NEX does not carry freight to my knowledge on any scheduled run'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, roeco said:

they may use something different now, but last time I saw it was a older motor coach. NEX does not carry freight to my knowledge on any scheduled run'

 

What type of motorcoach? A Prevost LeMirage? MCI 102A3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:01 PM, Swadian said:

What type of motorcoach? A Prevost LeMirage? MCI 102A3?

when I went  to bonnyville before it was an older MCI-9 original Brewster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alsask Bus Lines that operates a Calgary to Alsask service connecting in Alsask with STC to Saskatoon seems to be discontinuing their passenger services effective end of May. However it looks like they may be doing Gcx courier services Only between Calgary and Saskatoon via Alsask as of June 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, roeco said:

Alsask Bus Lines that operates a Calgary to Alsask service connecting in Alsask with STC to Saskatoon seems to be discontinuing their passenger services effective end of May. However it looks like they may be doing Gcx courier services Only between Calgary and Saskatoon via Alsask as of June 1.

Not overly surprising. A damn shame though. 

 

EDIT: How did the service between Calgary and Saskatoon work before the bus industry was deregulated in Alberta? I know Greyhound shared that run somehow with STC.

This is just speculation I realize, but what are the odds of Greyhound taking it over again, or of Alsask resuming operations once another operator assumes that former STC run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calgary to Saskatoon prior to Oct 24/11 had one daily overnight run plus one run Wed/Fri/Sun during the day(basically what Alsask does now) except they run daily. When STC and Greyhound we're sharing the run I know the schedules met in Alsask with a STC driver leaving from Saskatoon and a Greyhound driver from Calgary and in Alsask they switched drivers only...So u would see STC bus in Calgary on a daily basis. Im not really sure why Alsask is giving up passenger service and doing only GCX, I would assume something to do with Saskatchewan insurance regulations. All I know is they are going to Run Calgary to Saskatoon via Alsask with Gcx freight., which would bring all current STC agencies along that route into the Greyhound Courier network. 

I would have thought you would see Greyhound do another Calgary to Regina schedule plus at least 2 schedules a day between Regina and Saskatoon and Prince Albert..which were STC's most profitable routes. And very critical to Greyhounds network, I know TIger Courier also has announced a partnership with Greyhound canada to move freight in Saskatchewan and Interline with the GReyhound network. Im thinking you may see Greyhound setting up their own P&D in Saskatoon, Regina and possibly Prince Albert and Moose Jaw.  Im not really sure what Greyhound will use for terminals in Saskatoon, Regina or Moose Jaw which are all owned by STC come June 1.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ALSASK BUS LINES was given approval to operate Alsask to Saskatoon passenger service so they are going to hook up with Greyhound again and operate the service between Calgary Greyhound and Saskatoon Greyhound terminals. Not sure when its supposed to start but supposedly soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unofficially...Not published yet!! Greyhound will apply for some pretty Major Service Reductions in BC !  First is Eliminating all Vancouver Island passenger service which is not a surprise, Tofino Bus will be happy.  Greyhound is also proposing to eliminate all passenger service out of Prince George except to Vancouver This Includes the Hwy 16 corridor from Valemount to Prince Rupert and Prince George-Dawson Creek-Fort Nelson-Whitehorse. However applying is one thing, getting approval is a whole different story. I can however see them getting approval to reduce frequency...however not eliminate all service( except Vancouver Island).   I dont recall actually Greyhound ever being able to drop an entire route without another operator taking it over, so it should be quite interesting to see what the outcome is!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, roeco said:

Unofficially...Not published yet!! Greyhound will apply for some pretty Major Service Reductions in BC !  First is Eliminating all Vancouver Island passenger service which is not a surprise, Tofino Bus will be happy.  Greyhound is also proposing to eliminate all passenger service out of Prince George except to Vancouver This Includes the Hwy 16 corridor from Valemount to Prince Rupert and Prince George-Dawson Creek-Fort Nelson-Whitehorse. However applying is one thing, getting approval is a whole different story. I can however see them getting approval to reduce frequency...however not eliminate all service( except Vancouver Island).   I dont recall actually Greyhound ever being able to drop an entire route without another operator taking it over, so it should be quite interesting to see what the outcome is!!

BC Transit has been slowly implementing their Highway 16 services between Prince Rupert and Prince George, although it's a fair ways away from getting full service across the length of the corridor. Based on the current implementation I think even if you hopped between the different buses it wouldn't be possible to do the entire distance in 24 hours, so there is still a need for an intercity-type service.

Many of these communities are not otherwise serviced, so I think it's difficult to see it being approved. Not sure if the presence of the Health Connections routes in these areas plays into the decision to eliminate service. I'm kind of glad now that I spent the time to hunt down the Greyhound buses on my trip through northern BC last year, sounds like their time may be numbered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2017 at 6:27 PM, Articulated said:

BC Transit has been slowly implementing their Highway 16 services between Prince Rupert and Prince George, although it's a fair ways away from getting full service across the length of the corridor. Based on the current implementation I think even if you hopped between the different buses it wouldn't be possible to do the entire distance in 24 hours, so there is still a need for an intercity-type service.

Many of these communities are not otherwise serviced, so I think it's difficult to see it being approved. Not sure if the presence of the Health Connections routes in these areas plays into the decision to eliminate service. I'm kind of glad now that I spent the time to hunt down the Greyhound buses on my trip through northern BC last year, sounds like their time may be numbered.

BC Transit service along Hwy 16 is not an intercity service for sure. Health Connections play a huge role...and without them I dont think u would see Greyhond making any applications.  The BC Govt is partially to blame....If they would have gave Greyhound a subsidy like that im sure they would have provided the same if not more service on that Hwy 16 corridor. I just read a piece that says theyve applied for min frequency of 2 per week on almost every BC route but well c..... THat kinda frequency and abandonments sure wouldnt provide adequate service for 90% of Bc routes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2017 at 8:15 PM, roeco said:

BC Transit service along Hwy 16 is not an intercity service for sure. Health Connections play a huge role...and without them I dont think u would see Greyhond making any applications.  The BC Govt is partially to blame....If they would have gave Greyhound a subsidy like that im sure they would have provided the same if not more service on that Hwy 16 corridor. I just read a piece that says theyve applied for min frequency of 2 per week on almost every BC route but well c..... THat kinda frequency and abandonments sure wouldnt provide adequate service for 90% of Bc routes. 

Well frequency reductions are probably what should happen not just outright abandoning routes. Some routes only need 5 day  a week service, some 3...like Im thinkin the most they will get on the Northern Routes is just that....Frequency reductions... As for the Valmeount route thats their own doing why ridership is so low...it doesnt connect to anything and its really a feeder from the Edmonton bus for Prince George.  I can see Greyhound being allowed to abandon Victoria to Vancouver for sure...as Tofino Bus looks like its already applied to change their licence a bit and You will def c them take it over.   Its ironic how Greyhound says they dont make money on passengers yet they dont count the freight they carry....It more than pays for itself, it costs no more to run a truck vs a bus. And with a bus u can haul people and make extra $$!!  

As for their min frequency to 2 a week on all the rest of the routes, I can see that as that will give Greyhound the flexibility to operate routes on days that are busier and maybe drop some from 7 days to 5 to make them more profitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, roeco said:

  Its ironic how Greyhound says they dont make money on passengers yet they dont count the freight they carry....It more than pays for itself, it costs no more to run a truck vs a bus. And with a bus u can haul people and make extra $$!!  

You keep saying this, and its just not true. 

Do you think if you keep saying it, that will make it true?

Edit: For historical accuracy, here are posts I've made in response to your statements about freight paying for itself. I still haven't seen anything resembling accurate reporting on the 'profitability of GPX.
 

 

Do we think the GCTC schedules are doing better or worse than the Saskatchewan routes that were receiving a $94/pax subsidy?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If STC would have chopped about half their service and frequency they may still be around... They had way too much service to some places...and little places too.!!  Some of their service was just their, and really 3/4 of their fleet could have been smaller buses...and they would have been more than sufficent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2017 at 6:27 PM, Articulated said:

BC Transit has been slowly implementing their Highway 16 services between Prince Rupert and Prince George, although it's a fair ways away from getting full service across the length of the corridor. Based on the current implementation I think even if you hopped between the different buses it wouldn't be possible to do the entire distance in 24 hours, so there is still a need for an intercity-type service.

Many of these communities are not otherwise serviced, so I think it's difficult to see it being approved. Not sure if the presence of the Health Connections routes in these areas plays into the decision to eliminate service. I'm kind of glad now that I spent the time to hunt down the Greyhound buses on my trip through northern BC last year, sounds like their time may be numbered.

Their is No Service Planned between Terrace and Prince Rupert at all for BC Transit , So basically Prince Rupert would be stranded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When all day GO train service is available this wont be a problem will it? Why doesnt GO step up and create a direct Route between Guelph and Kitchener? Or it cant because it would be in competition with Greyhound?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Shaun said:

When all day GO train service is available this wont be a problem will it? Why doesnt GO step up and create a direct Route between Guelph and Kitchener? Or it cant because it would be in competition with Greyhound?

All-day 2-way train service will not be coming out as far as Kitchener-Guelph for a long time.

And yes, I assume that GO is not serving that corridor because they would end up directly competing with Greyhound. Same reason there are no GO buses directly between Kitchener-Waterloo and downtown Toronto... because that was already a Greyhound route. Instead, GO ended their service at Square One (and now York U), so there is no direct competition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Effective Dec.15th  Alsask Bus Lines will start a New Route Lv Saskatoon at 9:15am Arrive Regina 12:10pm. Leave Regina at 2:pm Arrive back in Saskatoon at 4:55pm. Connections with Greyhound in Saskatoon.They will interline with Greyhound! I would hope that means freight service will be carried between Regina and Saskatoon too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×