roeco

On 9/13/2020 at 4:42 AM, Rapidbus said:

Lots of time changes for Greyhound US

Some notable changes

Effective September 15th 2020

4595/4592 Detroit, MI- Muskegon, MI service eliminated

Effective September 16th 2020

4459,4458,4460 New schedule will operate from Chicago to Detroit

4456 Chicago to Detroit, MI will be eliminated.

The reverse 4457 Detroit, MI to Chicago will operate via Jackson and Battle Creek. 

From this, I imply that service to Grand Rapids, MI and Muskegon, MI will be discontinued 

3700 Miami-Ft Myer FL will be replaced by 3752 operating from Miami to Tallahassee, FL

1596 Lake Charles, LA eliminated from this schedule. Service rerouted via Columbus, GA

Detroit to Muskegon is indeed gone. Indian Trails will add service October 1st as a replacement.

1 hour ago, Megabus Rider said:

I am guessing it's now a State funded run.

No, the state only funds runs north of that corridor. That being said Greyhound indicated their intention in June to MDOT to discontinue it which provides a peaceful transition as it were. Indian already has a bus each way from Detroit to East Lansing where a connection is made to Grand Rapids on their twice daily Chicago service. They will probably get some state funded coaches out of it but the run itself isn’t a 5311 funded corridor.

Incidentally Muskegon will not be part of the new service. Just Detroit to GR.

4 hours ago, traildriver said:

Greyhound will probably just run Detroit to Chicago and to Toledo routes in Michigan, eventually, if not already....

That’s exactly what happened. They brought Battle Creek back online and added three new schedules Detroit to Chicago with one making an intermediate stop in Jackson to keep their state coaches. A shell game of sorts... we all wondered why they didn’t pull out years ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw some discussion on another social media site saying Greyhound had terminated their lease at the bus terminal in Ottawa and had let go several employees.  Couldn't find anything in the local news about it.  Anyone hear anything about this?

8 minutes ago, Michel said:

Saw some discussion on another social media site saying Greyhound had terminated their lease at the bus terminal in Ottawa and had let go several employees.  Couldn't find anything in the local news about it.  Anyone hear anything about this?

Sounds about right. So far my sources have told me, Greyhound Canada will bail from the Toronto Coach Terminal and won't relocate to the new Union Station Bus Terminal, but instead operate out of Pearson Airport and offer a first/last mile approach with Up Express to Downtown Toronto. They have bailed out of the Peterborough Bus Terminal and they have shut down the ticket booth in Kitchener. So with Ottawa, it does not surprise me. I am guessing once they begin to operate in a few weeks, the new changes will be announced at once.

6 hours ago, Michel said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/greyhound-bus-terminal-ottawa-central-station-no-more-1.5746701?cmp=rss

• Sad 1

There's not many places Greyhound can run out of in Ottawa?

My thoughts are few possible places(in order from from first place to last place)

1) Ottawa International Airport(like in Toronto)

2) Hurdman LRT/BRT Station(very close to the Queensway, also 10-15 min drive from their Garage on Bantree Road) )

3)Train Station(again right next to the Queensway, also 10-15 min drive from their garage on Bantree Road)

4)ST Laurant LRT Station(upper level, also with in a 10-15 min drive from their garage)

5)Actually at their Garage on Bantree

Greyhound only I believe has only a few runs out of Ottawa?

Ottawa-Montreal(express/Local)

Ottawa-Toronto(Express/Local)

Ottawa-Kingston

Ottawa-Pembrooke-Sudbury or North Bay(not sure which)

not sure of any others out of Ottawa.

CTV News Ottawa

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/greyhound-canada-driving-operations-out-of-catherine-street-bus-station-1.5128487

I suspect this is only a brief reprieve, It's only a matter of time before Geyhound says BYE-BYE Canada.

If not the Airport, which in a few years will have a LRT link to it, then eith Hurdman or St Laurent which presently has a Bus Hub(Hurdman)along with LRT acces or ST Laurent which has the same and are located with in mins of the Queensway to Montreal & Toronto'n Or it may end up at the Train Station with LRT access as well as mins from the Queensway giving them easy acces to Montreal & Toronto.

58 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

There's not many places Greyhound can run out of in Ottawa?

My thoughts are few possible places(in order from from first place to last place)

1) Ottawa International Airport(like in Toronto)

2) Hurdman LRT/BRT Station(very close to the Queensway, also 10-15 min drive from their Garage on Bantree Road) )

3)Train Station(again right next to the Queensway, also 10-15 min drive from their garage on Bantree Road)

4)ST Laurant LRT Station(upper level, also with in a 10-15 min drive from their garage)

5)Actually at their Garage on Bantree

1) I just checked Wikipedia, not much flight options, however, I could see it as a running stop.

2) OC Transpo may charge rent, the reason why Greyhound is running away from Terminals

3) I could see it happening but I am not sure of the roadways are public or owned by the train station

4) OC Transpo may charge rent, the reason why Greyhound is running away from Terminals

5) Great Canadian Holidays and Tai Pan Tours does that. Greyhound could take the money saved and build a curb and a City Bus Shelter style structure.

How about Carlton University? If you look at how Flixbus and Ourbus became successful, they choose stops at Universities and Train Stations in which they attract consistent ridership.

Carelton would also be a good spot. Present the O-Train is shut down due a extension being built but that's a possibility. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the road way leading and passing the Train Station is city owned but I could bee wrong. I know in the past  OC & Greyhound/Voyageur had some type of"deal" not sure of the exact details but they did have stops at the Transway Stations(Hurdman, ST Laurent, Licon Fields(?) Ottawa U, & Terry Fox)at one point, I'm not sure if they still had them(before Covide-19) or not.

In any case it'll be interesting to see where they go. My bet is the Airport. I can't comment the Toronto airport as I don't live in the GTA, but Ottawa's airport isn't really that far from downtown, and like I said ottawa's O _Train will have a link to the Airport in a few years(building it right now)

49 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Carelton would also be a good spot. Present the O-Train is shut down due a extension being built but that's a possibility. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the road way leading and passing the Train Station is city owned but I could bee wrong. I know in the past  OC & Greyhound/Voyageur had some type of"deal" not sure of the exact details but they did have stops at the Transway Stations(Hurdman, ST Laurent, Licon Fields(?) Ottawa U, & Terry Fox)at one point, I'm not sure if they still had them(before Covide-19) or not.

In any case it'll be interesting to see where they go. My bet is the Airport. I can't comment the Toronto airport as I don't live in the GTA, but Ottawa's airport isn't really that far from downtown, and like I said ottawa's O _Train will have a link to the Airport in a few years(building it right now)

To my knowledge. Greyhound still has a Stop at Hurdman Stn (Weekday Montreal  Commuter Special )  and Terry Fox for the Toronto & Sudbury service. 

As for the potential new Greyhound Stn

I doubt Greyhound will set up shop at the Ottawa Airport (it’s to far from the Highway).  My guess they will set up shop somewhere that has easy highway access (like the Via Stn or One of the OC Transpo Stns) 

14 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Greyhound only I believe has only a few runs out of Ottawa?

Ottawa-Montreal(express/Local)

Ottawa-Toronto(Express/Local)

Ottawa-Kingston

Ottawa-Pembrooke-Sudbury or North Bay(not sure which)

not sure of any others out of Ottawa.

They also had an Ottawa-Cornwall, and an Ottawa-Syracuse route, that had less than daily service recently...

9 hours ago, traildriver said:

They also had an Ottawa-Cornwall, and an Ottawa-Syracuse route, that had less than daily service recently...

Ottawa-Syracuse was gone before the pandemic. 

They also have service from Gatineau, QC to Ottawa. 

That being said

https://extranet.greyhound.com/revsup/Schedules2/bulletins/86-20.pdf

It looks like Greyhound finally moved its depot in Denver from 19th St into Union Station

On 10/1/2020 at 8:59 PM, Oc4526 said:

To my knowledge. Greyhound still has a Stop at Hurdman Stn (Weekday Montreal  Commuter Special )  and Terry Fox for the Toronto & Sudbury service. 

As for the potential new Greyhound Stn

I doubt Greyhound will set up shop at the Ottawa Airport (it’s to far from the Highway).  My guess they will set up shop somewhere that has easy highway access (like the Via Stn or One of the OC Transpo Stns) 

The VIA station would make a lot of sense. But Greyhound doesn't make decisions based on logic, so you never know. 

• 1 month later...

Effective November 23rd Greyhound cut more service

2506,2523 1 round trip Boston- NY trips discontinued

3211,3212- One round trip NY-Philadelphia Trips eliminated

7909,7910 Wilmington- DC Local will no longer operate on Tues/Wed

252,321- NY- Cleveland via Buffalo will now terminate at Buffalo and no longer continue to Cleveland. This ends Greyhound service (atleast temporarily) for all upstate communities wanting to travel west of Buffalo. All passengers are placed on the 3:15PM Barons Bus serving, Erie, Akron, Columbus, Cincinnati. Passengers now have to transfer at Columbus for Cleveland service from Buffalo.

4428,4429- The schedule connecting to 252,321 from Cleveland to Detroit will also be eliminated.

3750-3751 One round trip pair service between Miami and Naples FL eliminated. This change will eliminate all service to Naples, FL

3890,3891 Atlanta to Jacksonville Round trip will no longer operate daily

1161,1156- One round trip pair service is eliminated between Nashville, TN and New Orleans, LA

3807,3810- Service will be eliminated (one r/t pair between Shreveport, LA, and New Orleans, LA) ending all Greyhound service temporarily.

6005,6016- One pair of R/T Las Vegas- LA Trips eliminated. Other service along this corridor has adjusted stops to make up for this loss.

6521,6522- Bolt bus between Bellingham and Seattle eliminated. I believe Seattle is the most furthest north you can go now in the PNW on Greyhound

6781,6774 Fresno- San Francisco Local eliminated (one pair R/T)

There are other schedule changes regarding changing days of the week operated I will not go into for some routes

• 5 weeks later...

Still no word on when Greyhound Canada will resume service?

My thoughts are assuming Greyhound does start up again in Canada, I don't se them starting at least late Spring Summer.

Reason?

With Ontario & the GTA setting high Covide-19 records, I'm guessing ridership would be extremely low. With vaccinations set for the general public sometime time in March-August, hopefully by that time Covide-19 counts wil have dropped off enough warrant enough for Greyhound to resume service once again, that's assuming:

1) there stilll in Canada

2)Covide-19 counts are low enough for them to resume service

3)deregulation doesn't stop them from re-entering service once again.

Only time will tell.

18 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Still no word on when Greyhound Canada will resume service?

My thoughts are assuming Greyhound does start up again in Canada, I don't se them starting at least late Spring Summer.

Reason?

With Ontario & the GTA setting high Covide-19 records, I'm guessing ridership would be extremely low. With vaccinations set for the general public sometime time in March-August, hopefully by that time Covide-19 counts wil have dropped off enough warrant enough for Greyhound to resume service once again, that's assuming:

1) there stilll in Canada

2)Covide-19 counts are low enough for them to resume service

3)deregulation doesn't stop them from re-entering service once again.

Only time will tell.

The earliest we would know about Greyhound Canada is when the applications for Equinox Bus Lines and the 2 carriers on behalf of Flixbus have served their 30 days waiting period with the OHTB. I have a source with Equinox Bus Lines who may divulge the results of their application when that time comes. Greyhound leaving Canada is not off the table, I am hearing it is a possibility.

The purpose of deregulation is to allow Ontario Northland and another Government Agency to contract out Intercity runs. It is going to be on a bidding process so Greyhound Canada would be given a fair chance to bid on some of those runs. Anybody can pretty much operate under deregulation, the HTA would be heavily modified on insurance and vehicle regulation specifics that all operators have to abide by.

I passed by the Toronto greyhound yard. Looks like some buses are missing. If this continues, it becomes less likely that they will return in Canada. 

I bet if there was money to be made with greyhound, some investment company would have picked it up already. 

The fact that they haven't probably means either the owners actually plan on returning to service or, can't find a buyer. 

Denver to Salt Lake City is down to one trip via Interstate 80. Service via US40 is eliminated on December 31st

Colorado DOT replaced it with a trip from Denver to Craig, CO.

Greyhound just completed its sale of the following terminals 

LA for 88 million

Ottawa, ON for 7m

Denver for 37m

https://www.sharecast.com/news/news-and-announcements/firstgroup-sells-3-greyhound-bus-terminals-for-137m--7764607.html

Greyhound as a company will probably never recover from this pandemic. Routs being cut left and right will probably never come back. In Canada, if they come back (thats a big if), it would most likely only be Toronto- Detroit, Toronto to Ottawa and Ottawa to Montreal, and maybe Buffalo-Niagara Falls

11 minutes ago, Rapidbus said:

Denver to Salt Lake City is down to one trip via Interstate 80. Service via US40 is eliminated on December 31st

Colorado DOT replaced it with a trip from Denver to Craig, CO.

Greyhound just completed its sale of the following terminals 

LA for 88 million

Ottawa, ON for 7m

Denver for 37m

https://www.sharecast.com/news/news-and-announcements/firstgroup-sells-3-greyhound-bus-terminals-for-137m--7764607.html

Greyhound as a company will probably never recover from this pandemic. Routs being cut left and right will probably never come back. In Canada, if they come back (thats a big if), it would most likely only be Toronto- Detroit, Toronto to Ottawa and Ottawa to Montreal, and maybe Buffalo-Niagara Falls

since when did they own the Ottawa Terminal ?