Jump to content

Houston METRO


Orion VIII
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 11/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, HoustonMETROFan said:

The photos.  This particular unit is one of 15 that'll go to the Fallbrook Bus Operating Facility.  Another 30 will go to the West Bus Operating Facility.  This will then complete the order of the first group of 45 of these beauties.

Enjoy!

photo 08.jpg

photo 09.jpg

photo 10.jpg

photo 11.jpg

photo 12.jpg

photo 13.jpg

Caught some of the new MCI’s last week. Got to ride #5270. Kind of the same feeeling as the other MCI’s. Saw some on the North routes as well.

F63A1BF1-E15D-49D5-B1CE-B37889BB34FA.jpeg

2917B9D4-6471-4F1E-A568-20D327E4388B.jpeg

42DB88BF-1672-4907-B31F-B9046BDE9CD5.jpeg

E372BFE3-9A53-43E5-89D1-325FF7F38F26.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Just a quick update as to what's going on that I''m seeing/hearing about at Houston METRO when it comes to the bus fleet.

The first group of 45 new MCI D4500CTs (I already posted photos of what they look like) have all arrived and I believe just about all of those should be in service by now.

The order of 100 NFI Xcelsior XD40s is still ongoing at this time.

Call it a breaking news kind of thing:  We're getting more CNG buses - this time from NovaBus.  Click here to see what I'm talking about in regards to how they won the bid.  It's action #9 and when you click on the "Meeting Packet," it's pages 66-71.  This comes from the Public Safety, Customer Service and Operations Committee Mtg. held yesterday (1/22/2018).  So for those whose hometown transit agency has the NovsBus LFS CNG model in their fleet, you might wanna go on ahead and welcome Houston METRO to the club.

Check this out, also.  This comes from the Capital and Strategic Planning Committee Mtg. held earlier today (1/23/2018).

Enjoy!

p.s.  Of course, you can click on everything else you see for your viewing pleasure - not just what I'm talking about.  ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoustonMETROFan said:

Just a quick update as to what's going on that I''m seeing/hearing about at Houston METRO when it comes to the bus fleet.

The first group of 45 new MCI D4500CTs (I already posted photos of what they look like) have all arrived and I believe just about all of those should be in service by now.

The order of 100 NFI Xcelsior XD40s is still ongoing at this time.

Call it a breaking news kind of thing:  We're getting more CNG buses - this time from NovaBus.  Click here to see what I'm talking about in regards to how they won the bid.  It's action #9 and when you click on the "Meeting Packet," it's pages 66-71.  This comes from the Public Safety, Customer Service and Operations Committee Mtg. held yesterday (1/22/2018).  So for those whose hometown transit agency has the NovsBus LFS CNG model in their fleet, you might wanna go on ahead and welcome Houston METRO to the club.

Check this out, also.  This comes from the Capital and Strategic Planning Committee Mtg. held earlier today (1/23/2018).

Enjoy!

p.s.  Of course, you can click on everything else you see for your viewing pleasure - not just what I'm talking about.  ;)

San Antonio’s NOVABus LFS CNG Buses ride pretty well. Pretty excited that Houston is going through with the CNG version 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Devonne said:

San Antonio’s NOVABus LFS CNG Buses ride pretty well. Pretty excited that Houston is going through with the CNG version 

The newer ones (late 600's) ride and drive well.  The older Nova's (early 400's and 500's) are meh already.  Frequent breakdowns are common now.  I personally don't like driving them as the steering wheel feels loose (wobbles side to side) when hitting bumps in the road at 30 MPH or higher.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 8/6/2017 at 12:00 PM, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

Can someone fill me in on the Neoplan AN460's getting repowered with Cummins ISL's? I thought that was a mistake on the wiki since they retired around 12-13 years old and the auctions all said Detroit Diesel Series 50 engines. However I saw a video of ex 4448 taking off in Southern CA and it had an ISL even though the auction stated the original powertrain was intact. Unless the new owners repowered that particular unit, can anyone fill me in? Thanks.

Where did you find that used one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 4:13 PM, The Neoplan Rider Studios said:

Where did you find that used one

My friend down in Vegas bought 2 (ex 4448 & 4461) that were converted into party buses in the LA area in California. I rode them both when I visited him last year. 4448 is repowered and 4461 retains its Series 50.

I later learned a lot of the AN460's in the Houston fleet were repowered with Cummins ISL engines, but there still isn't a document I can find that states which engine each unit retired with besides a few.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Back in my "comfort" zone now - here's a few noteworthy updates that I want to share:

  • The next group of MCI D4500CTs are now coming in.  The fleet numbers are 5300-5354 and they'll all go to bus facilities that have the oldest MCIs there - specifically the Northwest and West Bus Operating Facilites.  This is to retire the 2001 MCI D4500 coaches.  Before you ask, they look exactly the same as the first group (see photos I posted from METRO of 5255).
  • A "demo" New Flyer Xcelsior CHARGE is here for testing.  Don't know how long this bus will be here and unlike the Proterra bus, this one will be of the plug-in type - not of the version where you charge the bus from above.
  • Starting next month (will be here for a few months I was told), METRO will get their chance to try out the MCI D45 CRT LE coach.

That's all for now.  :)

Edited by HoustonMETROFan
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

I'm back with some news from Houston METRO.

  • The 4th Gen LFSAs have been sidelined due to some sort or "rear end" issue but will return to service soon - once whatever is going on  is resolved.  In their place are several 2001 MCI D4500s that were supposed to retired but will go back on the front lines until the 4th Gen LFSAs go back in service.
  • All of the 53xx series MCI D4500CTs are currently in service.
  • The "demo" MCI D45 CRT LE coach is still here - no word on who has it and what routes the coach will run on.
  • METRO recently celebrated going 10 million miles with the 50 NABI 40-LFW Gen 3 CNGs that are currently in service..
  • While on the topic of CNGs, METRO is exercising the option of getting 10 more 4th Gen LFS CNGs from NovaBus - bringing the total to 30 of those units that'll come soon.

That's all from me - for now.  :)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:51 PM, HoustonMETROFan said:

I'm back with some news from Houston METRO.

  • The 4th Gen LFSAs have been sidelined due to some sort or "rear end" issue but will return to service soon - once whatever is going on  is resolved.  In their place are several 2001 MCI D4500s that were supposed to retired but will go back on the front lines until the 4th Gen LFSAs go back in service.
  • All of the 53xx series MCI D4500CTs are currently in service.
  • The "demo" MCI D45 CRT LE coach is still here - no word on who has it and what routes the coach will run on.
  • METRO recently celebrated going 10 million miles with the 50 NABI 40-LFW Gen 3 CNGs that are currently in service..
  • While on the topic of CNGs, METRO is exercising the option of getting 10 more 4th Gen LFS CNGs from NovaBus - bringing the total to 30 of those units that'll come soon.

That's all from me - for now.  :)

So, basically, the 2001 D4500s are going to run on local routes? BTW, are there any D40LFs still in service? If so, how many? I know the DD50 units retired like 2-3 years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Chris.A said:

So, basically, the 2001 D4500s are going to run on local routes? BTW, are there any D40LFs still in service? If so, how many? I know the DD50 units retired like 2-3 years ago.

MCIs running on routes that are classified as "local" routes has been done for a while, for as long as I can remember, of course and will continue to do so.  That will never change.

Not too concerned about the D40LFs, however, there are 56 buses left in the 3200-3535 series 2001 models.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HoustonMETROFan said:

MCIs running on routes that are classified as "local" routes has been done for a while, for as long as I can remember, of course and will continue to do so.  That will never change.

Not too concerned about the D40LFs, however, there are 56 buses left in the 3200-3535 series 2001 models.

The MTA does that too on Staten Island sometimes. If they are short on LFSs, Orion VII NG hybrids, or Orion VII 3G Clean diesels, they'll put a Prevost X3-45, or an MCI D4500/CL/CT on a local run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Call it a BREAKING NEWS kind of thing but - the 4th Gen NovaBus LFS CNG buses that were ordered by METRO are now arriving here in Houston.

Attached are photos that I received just now of one of them (had to do some resizing to my liking) but here they are.

Fleet # info:  2050-2069 (original order of 20 LFS CNGs); 2070-2079 (10 option buses that METRO did exercise on - meaning - METRO went on ahead and purchased 10 more LFS CNGs).

Engine/Transmission info:  Cummins Westport Model L9N 280/Allison B400R xFE.

Enjoy the photos!

Other bus news is that METRO is yet again exercising an option to purchase another 10 MCI D4500CT Commuter Coaches - which will look identical to - well - see photos of 5255 (see here for more info).

I'll ask in regards to the whereabouts of the demo MCI D45 CRT LE Commuter Coach and see if it's still here for testing.  Answer will come at a later time.

NOVA CNG 2058 Curbside.jpg

NOVA CNG 2058 Front.jpg

NOVA CNG 2058 Rear.jpg

NOVA CNG 2058 Streetside.jpg

NOVA CNG 2058 Top Photo 1.jpg

NOVA CNG 2058 Top Photo 2.jpg

NOVA CNG 2058 Top Photo 3.jpg

NOVA CNG 2058 Top Photo 4.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/21/2019 at 9:21 PM, The Neoplan Rider Studios said:

Every last one of those models are retired, BTW.  I already had my fair share of riding those bus models.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/3/2018 at 1:13 PM, HoustonMETROFan said:

Back in my "comfort" zone now - here's a few noteworthy updates that I want to share:

  • The next group of MCI D4500CTs are now coming in.  The fleet numbers are 5300-5354 and they'll all go to bus facilities that have the oldest MCIs there - specifically the Northwest and West Bus Operating Facilites.  This is to retire the 2001 MCI D4500 coaches.  Before you ask, they look exactly the same as the first group (see photos I posted from METRO of 5255).
  • A "demo" New Flyer Xcelsior CHARGE is here for testing.  Don't know how long this bus will be here and unlike the Proterra bus, this one will be of the plug-in type - not of the version where you charge the bus from above.
  • Starting next month (will be here for a few months I was told), METRO will get their chance to try out the MCI D45 CRT LE coach.

That's all for now.  :)

There was an Xcelsior CHARGE here? I can’t find any record of this. Do you have anything to show? I was looking in the board meetings list and found nothing about this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CD6FD0CB-54CF-47CC-AC43-27F68E748BA6.thumb.png.c2dcd670f304b4b5f52cc46581e73547.pngC7DB040A-EA7E-4A87-838F-BE65C7FFA6D5.thumb.png.c4d16fca2cd9a13bc7e83cb933bb3596.png If METRO gets awarded the Grant, what manufacturers do we feel like they’ll go with? I know it comes down to more than just range, but on a single charge Proterra’s ZX5 40’ gets 328 miles, NFI’s 40’ Xcelsior gets 251 miles, Gillig gets 150 miles, BYD 40’ gets 160, and Nova LFSe 40’ gets 292. There are multiple Cutaways such as a Proterra powered S1LF which has a range of 125 miles. 

On 8/25/2019 at 11:25 PM, Border City Transit said:

What is the status of the 3200-3500 series New Flyer D40LFs in Houston?

They've been retiring piecemeal for a while... but it was such a big order that it's taking a few whacks to finish 'em off completely.

Any updates? I'm hoping it's more than just unloved 3400s at Northwest...

We still have some on the road, mostly out of West, on the 82. If you check govdeals.com, you’ll see they’re putting some up to auction.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...