Orion VIII

Houston METRO

I find it very interesting that they went with NABI considering they operate a fair amount of New Flyer units and are recieving LFSA. I guess they simply buy by lowest price per unit and don't have any manufacturer preference. If it was financial reasons that disqualified NABI before, then could that mean that NABI may have a comeback now that it's partnered with an allegedly financially sound company?

MVTA, I'm guessing NABI's hook-up with New Flyer will get them business they would not have gotten without it. There may have been speculation out there from buyers about NABI going the way of Orion and others. (Just a guess, I've seen no real evidence of that, other than speculation here and the fact that NABI has had only a few customers.)

I'd love to see a Houston Metro document regarding why NABI won. We don't know they had the lowest price, although that seems reasonable. But NFI offered a lower price than NABI on artics for the Denver RTD recently.

IMHO, we'll just have to wait until Thursday to even see if the order will go though (I hope so). No, I will not ask them for anything stating why NABI won so blah. :P:P

On to the NovaBus LFSA order, shall we? Anyhoo, I was just informed that one of the buses is here but it's currently undergoing testing and will not be available for any photo taking so I'll have to wait at least three to four weeks until they'll try to have one for the public to look at. By then, our August Service Changes (http://www.ridemetro.org/SchedulesMaps/Pdfs/ServiceChanges/TakeOne082513_en.pdf) will be in effect and as you can see, several routes will have the LFSA buses operating on them.

That's all for now. :D

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

1,600 posts. Cool for me. Anyhoo, ......

http://ridemetro.gra...22-24b3144c4264

If you click on that "meeting packet" (.pdf file), you'll then see much more info about those items for separate consideration.

The NABI item starts on page 12 - although I encourage you to view the entire PDF file (if you have time). Enjoy!

Edited by HoustonMETROFan

Thanks HoustonMetroFan, may you have 1600 more posts. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and passion here.

I love the PDF. Looks like NABI won over Nova because their price was 1.5% lower. NFI could not make the last level of competition because they do not offer a stainless steel chassis. Gillig and El Dorado National did not bid.

Also of interest in the packet, they expect the new Arboc gasoline-powered units to get 6.6 miles per gallon. Versus diesel, they save money up front and on fuel and Diesel Exhaust Fluid. The gas engine weighs 400 pounds less and reduces wear and tear on brakes and chassis components. They only count on 6 years from the Arbocs so I guess they don't need the long life of diesel. And they note the gas engine is quieter.

Also, I didn't know Houston Metro runs some 2007 DE41LFR units. I learned that because of the photo of the front of 3551 in the packet.

Thanks! I really appreciate that. Sad that at least Gillig didn't bid. Same goes for Eldorado. Maybe next time after we're done with the NABI deal because I wouldn't mind seeing more Gilligs and yes - even Eldorados here (I would prefer the Axess BRT model).

Speaking of the Gilligs, we DO have seven of the baby Gillig BRT+ CNG buses and they ONLY operate on this route: http://www.ridemetro...2-greenlink.pdf

FYI, we have 40 of those Arboc units (fleet numbers: 4330-4369). They're used on routes that don't need a 40' bus. What many may not know is that MV Transportation - NOT First Transit nor METRO - operates those Arbocs.

As for the DE41LFRs, METRO have 40 of those in the fleet. Fleet numbers: 3550-3589. 3550-3579 are in the standard METRO livery while 3580-3589 are wrapped in the Quickline livery and is ONLY used on this route: http://www.ridemetro...inebellaire.pdf

Don't know how long ago this happened but two of the now former Quickline buses (3588 and 3589) are currently in the standard METRO livery.

Thanks. Interesting to see these with a rear door. I know I've mostly seen them without that.

You're welcome. That is an interesting feature. Perhaps that's an emergency exit feature they wanted.

http://ridemetro.gra...73&meta_id=5922

Good luck reading this. You'll need it! :P

(Snipped)

You're not kidding :blink:

Again, the indication is that NABI won on price. 1.5% lower than Nova and less than 2 million dollars difference on a 125 million dollar contract. The Xcelsior could not compete because Metro demanded a stainless steel chassis.

Metro is getting clean diesels for $448,650 per unit and CNG buses for $492,025 each. At these prices, I'm guessing these are NOT NABI BRT models.

Again, the indication is that NABI won on price. 1.5% lower than Nova and less than 2 million dollars difference on a 125 million dollar contract. The Xcelsior could not compete because Metro demanded a stainless steel chassis.

Metro is getting clean diesels for $448,650 per unit and CNG buses for $492,025 each. At these prices, I'm guessing these are NOT NABI BRT models.

Still no effect to New Flyer who lost the order to NABI as NABI is part of New Flyer , no significant impact to the group.

Comparing between NABI and NOVA, NABI's bid is about 2 million dollars lower than Novabus's offering not only that; they also have a good experience with the NABI buses purchased years ago.

And if it is not BRT model, it is the Gen 3 look. For the diesel, I wonder if they are going to have those streamlined roof.

LOL :D!!!!

Anyhoo, all indications that ours may be the ones Dallas DART has (for CNGs). For diesels, we'll just have to wait and see if they wanna do a Broward County Transit move (streamlined rooftop enclosure) - even though there may be nothing on top to cover.

....they also have a good experience with the NABI buses purchased years ago.

Yes, a la the Model 416 bus (company back then known as Ikarus USA/American Ikarus). http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/nebuses/rosters/houston.html

Anyhoo (by tomorrow), our August Service Changes will be in effect so hopefully those LFSAs will start to come in. ^_^

Nice but not enough all around views of the bus. Meh - I'll just wait until they come out.

Only two bus operating facilities are getting them: One is getting 40 and the other is getting 30.

Will you be riding them?

Nice! What the heck is that in the joint area--something to lean on?

I wish the front end didn't remind me of an old NABI but otherwise no complaints on the visual appeal!

Nice! What the heck is that in the joint area--something to lean on?

I wish the front end didn't remind me of an old NABI but otherwise no complaints on the visual appeal!

Yes - especially if there are times to when even THIS bus has standing room only.

No complaints here but the front end sure did NOT look like that on the two 40' demos METRO had for six months (unsure of exactly when).

Congrats to Metro Transit riders and NABI! Very interesting that Houston wanted the stainless steel "structure"

Are other Houston Metro buses built of stainless steel?

http://newflyer.com/...ston_award_nabi

Just FYI that things are going, IMHO, in the right direction in regards to buses we already have needing replacement soon. Enjoy!

http://newflyer.com/...ston_award_nabi

Just FYI that things are going, IMHO, in the right direction in regards to buses we already have needing replacement soon. Enjoy!

There goes the official order that Houston Metro has placed.

Congrats to Metro Transit riders and NABI! Very interesting that Houston wanted the stainless steel "structure"

Are other Houston Metro buses built of stainless steel?

In the article, it states, in a way, why METRO wanted the stainless steel structure.

I believe so but that's where I'll stop as I don't want to give out the wrong info in regards to any specifics on whether or not all are like that.

There goes the official order that Houston Metro has placed.

Yup and I can't to see them next year. In the meantime, I'll focus on those NovaBus LFSAs that are now hitting the streets.