Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Orion VIII

Houston METRO

300 posts in this topic

I will definitely take that fleet listing. I want to confirm how many of the 1996 buses are left. I'm thinking 4001, 4009, 4012, 4023, 4027, and 4029 as those are the only ones I've seen in the past month. And it's looking like there will be 55 of the early D40LFs left if the order is a one for one bus replacement and there's no expansion. Hopefully they'll hold on to 70 of them though.

I also tried to find a 5800 after jury duty today but I didn't see any. Usually Metro will parade around their newest stuff so it was puzzling to see a bunch of 29s, 33s, and 36s.

Hmmmmmm - I wanna tell you now in regards to which of those buses are STILL here - like - right now but I would rather wait cuz if I tell you a bus is still here, the next fleet listing may say otherwise.

For now, you'll only see Kashmere's 5800s rolling on the streets and JUST when it looks like I'll get to ride one, that bus either on a route that I don't wanna ride OR it's on a route that I DO ride but going in the other friggin' direction. UGH! Adding insult to injury, every morning - I ride one of the old GEEZER of a D40LF.

On 5800 right now. It's quieter and bassier. Pretty underwhelming. You'll enjoy her though. Still has that new bus smell.

Spotted 4055 on the 36. At Polk now. Same bootleg P affixed to the rear.

On 5800 right now. It's quieter and bassier. Pretty underwhelming. You'll enjoy her though. Still has that new bus smell.

Spotted 4055 on the 36. At Polk now. Same bootleg P affixed to the rear.

Thanks for rubbing it in!!! B):o I'll be sure to enjoy her (or any of her sisters when I finally ride one). I already enjoy the look of it and how quieter her sisters are when they take off.

Cool on the sighting. 4055 used to be at Kashmere. Interesting.

They seem to keep the 5800s on the outlying Kashmere routes. I rode 5800 on the 6. 5805 was the bus behind us. I saw 5808 on the 83 and 5813 and 5807 were on the 45. I rode 5813. The a/c was lovely and they are pretty fast. They sound almost like nothing though. They don't even whine like the 36xx and 46xx.

They seem to keep the 5800s on the outlying Kashmere routes. I rode 5800 on the 6. 5805 was the bus behind us. I saw 5808 on the 83 and 5813 and 5807 were on the 45. I rode 5813. The a/c was lovely and they are pretty fast. They sound almost like nothing though. They don't even whine like the 36xx and 46xx.

For now, all you WILL see is Kashmere's batch out and about. YES, they even have them on the 52 and the route that I ride - the 77 (Mesa TC branch).

Breaking news. Saw a Nova LFS doing training on Harrisburg Blvd. It's in full Metro colors with a fleet number of 4691. Be alert.

Breaking news. Saw a Nova LFS doing training on Harrisburg Blvd. It's in full Metro colors with a fleet number of 4691. Be alert.

It must have a hybrid, right? AS you know - METRO is getting nothing BUT hybrids from now on.

EDIT: I'm surprised that the bus is a PLAIN JANE DIESEL bus. Excellent sighting. I'll be on the lookout.

Thanks!

Edited by HoustonMETROFan

Here's MY version of the breaking news deal! I have seen - with my very own eyes - a Nova LFS actually operating a route while heading home today. It was 4692 and it was operating the 30 - Cullen route. It looks like they don't have the signs fully programmed yet cuz it sported a paper sign.

I have e-mailed METRO about this and hopefully I'll get the answer(s) I seek.

Here's MY version of the breaking news deal! I have seen - with my very own eyes - a Nova LFS actually operating a route while heading home today. It was 4692 and it was operating the 30 - Cullen route. It looks like they don't have the signs fully programmed yet cuz it sported a paper sign.

I have e-mailed METRO about this and hopefully I'll get the answer(s) I seek.

I meant to tell you that I saw 4692 doing training on Harrisburg but it slipped my mind. Meanwhile, Polk's low 4xxx buses are still going strong. 4001, 4009, and 4023 have been spotted all in the last week. 4055 and 4072 as well. I think 4067 has been transferred to West as I saw it on the 132. Exciting times for buses.

I meant to tell you that I saw 4692 doing training on Harrisburg but it slipped my mind. Meanwhile, Polk's low 4xxx buses are still going strong. 4001, 4009, and 4023 have been spotted all in the last week. 4055 and 4072 as well. I think 4067 has been transferred to West as I saw it on the 132. Exciting times for buses.

Yup - those 4xxx series buses are still hanging in there at the garages they're assigned to but I think their time is coming to head for retirement.

Here's the e-mail message that I have received from METRO about the LFS bus(ES):

NovaBus has provided METRO with two test buses for METRO to operate and assess for a 6 month period. Both buses (4691 & 4692) will be operated from the Polk Street for the test period. The buses were provide at no charge to METRO and will be returned to NovaBus at the completion of the test.

Updated on the current delivery of the EPA 2010 Orion hybrids: the 2nd batch of Orions (5820-5849) that are heading to the West Bus Operating Facility are coming in. In other words, it's West's turn to get their piece of this Orion pie.

Seen 5821 operating an employee shuttle today while I was heading back to work from lunch.

Updated on the current delivery of the EPA 2010 Orion hybrids: the 2nd batch of Orions (5820-5849) that are heading to the West Bus Operating Facility are coming in. In other words, it's West's turn to get their piece of this Orion pie.

Seen 5821 operating an employee shuttle today while I was heading back to work from lunch.

Meanwhile 4015 is still going strong. Saw it on the 2 - Bellaire. Thought it had been retired.

Here's photos of the LFS buses that'll be here for the six months:

Picture359.jpg

Picture360.jpg

Picture365.jpg

Picture366.jpg

Picture361.jpg

Enjoy!

p.s. Go back here to see what's going on with the LFS being here in Houston.

5852 is in. Saw it on the 88 a few minutes ago. That means my babies are on limited time status. Hold on 4001, 4009, and 4023. Just saw 4009 yesterday. Rims so grimy you'd think they were painted gray.

Also rode 4691 yesterday. Odd seating arrangement. Sounds strange too. Pretty nice overall. Bus was on the 82.

OMG! Must do a drawing! :lol: Thanks for sharing, and bring more photos over the months (if possible, of course)! :)

Are these demos built to Metro spec, or were they already built and just given Metro livery and seats? The desto makes me think the latter. Thank you for sharing the photos.

Are these demos built to Metro spec, or were they already built and just given Metro livery and seats? The desto makes me think the latter. Thank you for sharing the photos.

You're welcome for the photos and even I think it's also the latter - meaning - the buses were already built and were just given the livery and seating but I will ask for confirmation.

EDIT: It's confirmed - the demo buses were NOT built to METRO specs. Besides the livery and the seats, they were also only given the fare box and Q Card reader.

OMG! Must do a drawing! :lol: Thanks for sharing, and bring more photos over the months (if possible, of course)! :)

BLAH - I mean - cool. I'm already thinking about suspending any current paper bus projects just to deal with this bus but I'm awaiting top photos of the bus (if possible from METRO).

EDIT: Just received a top photo of the bus and since these are only test buses on loan from NovaBus, no fleet # will go on the roof of the bus. I'll post the photo when I get home today.

5852 is in. Saw it on the 88 a few minutes ago. That means my babies are on limited time status. Hold on 4001, 4009, and 4023. Just saw 4009 yesterday. Rims so grimy you'd think they were painted gray.

Also rode 4691 yesterday. Odd seating arrangement. Sounds strange too. Pretty nice overall. Bus was on the 82.

Cool sighting. It looks like Polk is starting to get their fare share of the pie along with West and their part of the order. Hopefully the updated fleet report will reflect this.

In regards to those LFS buses, it looks like they'll only be on certain routes. I'll ask for a complete list (just in case) but this is what I had received: 20, 30, 81/82, 77. You'll just have to see on what days you'll see the buses. :)

Hopefully, after the testing period ends Metro puts an order in for the LFS.

How does Metro staff and drivers like LFS so far?

Hopefully, after the testing period ends Metro puts an order in for the LFS.

How does Metro staff and drivers like LFS so far?

I fully agree with that - seriously.

I read that - well - "So far, the bus is good." This is according to a Maintenance Supt. at one of the garages where the LFSs are parked.

Yes, METRO is keeping a log of comments from whoever will operate the bus and also from the mechanics - good and bad. Read here for the blog topic on those LFSs.

4068 at Polk.

You're right - 4068 IS at Polk.

I'll e-mail you the updated fleet listing which will reflect that.

Here's a top photo of one of the buses.

Picture369.jpg

Since these buses are not officially ours and are NOT 100% fully done to METRO's specs, you ain't gonna see the bus # on the roof of the bus.

Two emergency hatches... Great, I don't need to think about this anymore!... :P Remember my error on my drawing of MTA 8006? :)

Two emergency hatches... Great, I don't need to think about this anymore!... :P Remember my error on my drawing of MTA 8006? :)

Yup - I remember - but luckily, another transit fan took a top photo of that bus.

The bus in that pic is a 40' not an artic. Maybe they were trying out the 40' version also.

I'm sure the bae HybriDrive has been absolutely (ahem) stellar.

Nvm, somehow I got it in my head that they were testing an artic.