• Announcements

• A. Wong

Saddened by loss of Winnipeg Transit driver   02/15/2017

We are saddened by the loss of Winnipeg Transit driver Irvine (Jubal) Fraser who was attacked while on the job and unfortunately passed away.
      A GoFundMe page has been set up by Winnipeg Transit colleagues to help Fraser's widow and family. We wish to extend our condolences to family and friends affected by this tragic event. View CBC News Article: Man charged with murder in attack on Winnipeg Transit driver
    • A. Wong

Upcoming Server Move   02/18/2017

Hello everyone! Please be advised that CPTDB and CPTDB Wiki will be unavailable starting the evening of February 25, 2017. We will be moving to another server. Users will be unable to view or post content during this time. We expect it to be up sometime on Feburary 26, 2017. A new announcement will take the place of this one, so you will know when the site is online and you are accessing it from the new server. Thanks! -A. Wong
      on behalf of CPTDB Admin
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Orion VIII

Houston METRO

292 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, ctrabs74 said:

So, will these Xcelsiors replace some of the older New Flyers?

Technically, yes.  Depends on which garage will have their D40LFs get the pink slip in favor of the Xcelsiors.

14 hours ago, HoustonMETROFan said:

Technically, yes.  Depends on which garage will have their D40LFs get the pink slip in favor of the Xcelsiors.

Guess some are needed for growth. Would there be a need for more buses besides growth since the switch to more of grid system?

These buses are simply replacements for some of the oldest D40LFs that are still out there - or - replacements for whatever D40LFs they decide to get rid of - regardless of the year of the bus.

1 person likes this

I will be heading to Houston next month and would like to know the best places to spot the NABIs and Novas.

Does the TMC transit center have the NABI, Nova 40ft and artics show up there all day long?

On 1/11/2017 at 11:28 AM, Chris H said:

I will be heading to Houston next month and would like to know the best places to spot the NABIs and Novas.

Does the TMC transit center have the NABI, Nova 40ft and artics show up there all day long?

Yes, you can try there (especially for the artics) and you can also try the Downtown Transit Center.

Park yourself at Travis & St Joseph and you won't be sorry!

Great chance to see Nova 'tics on Route 85 (...at least the blocks from Fallbrook) and a smattering of other buses turning out from Downtown TC.

With so many Novas and Orions, you'll wonder which side of the border you're on!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Border City Transit said:

Park yourself at Travis & St Joseph and you won't be sorry!

Great chance to see Nova 'tics on Route 85 (...at least the blocks from Fallbrook) and a smattering of other buses turning out from Downtown TC.

With so many Novas and Orions, you'll wonder which side of the border you're on!

The 85 is not the only route that runs artics.  The TMC Transit Center, just like the Downtown TC, is perfect for getting artics on routes such as the 2 and the 4 and maybe even the 68.  Both locations are perfect - regardless of where you stand - for various buses to one's liking and also if you want to get some METRORail action in.

I've been to both locations when I had to chance to take some pics and they won't disappoint.  I can't do that now due to scheduling issues.

Right.

Yeah... the artics kick on the 2 and 4 and 65.

They never feel like a great fit on the 68, for some reason. Seems like they'd be better used elsewhere...

Does Hiram Clarke retain artics? It seems like they lost 'em to Fallbrook after New Bus Network.

If the ridership is high enough on the 68, METRO will put the artics on that route.  The buses need to go where the ridership levels are.

The 25 is also another route where you'll see artics run on.

Hiram Clarke no longer have any artics but they do have their own fair share of the "new 40' NovaBus LFS" pie.

Only Fallbrook and West have artics.

I couldn't take a picture of it because I was driving, but Houston METRO 2016 Nova Low Floor artic 1587 was here in Buffalo, NY for some reason. Saw it being driven in front of the airport today.

1 hour ago, Quartzquiz said:

I couldn't take a picture of it because I was driving, but Houston METRO 2016 Nova Low Floor artic 1587 was here in Buffalo, NY for some reason. Saw it being driven in front of the airport today.

The NovaBus plant in in Plattsburgh, New York, so it was probably stopping off in Buffalo on its way to Houston.

Yeah, I was told by one of the Buffalo members of the board that it was at the Cummins transmission shop not too far from the airport. 

Fleet numbers for the 100 new 4th Gen NovaBus models:

• LFS=>1915-1994.  All are here and almost all are in revenue service.
  • LFSA=>1580-1599.  Delivery is ongoing.  Several are already here but hasn't been placed into revenue service yet.  I was told that these buses are to go on some commuter routes.  Currently awaiting photos of the new buses prior to going into service.
1 person likes this

On 1/21/2017 at 3:33 AM, HoustonMETROFan said:

Fleet numbers for the 100 new 4th Gen NovaBus models:

• LFSA=>1580-1599.  Delivery is ongoing.  Several are already here but hasn't been placed into revenue service yet.  I was told that these buses are to go on some commuter routes.  Currently awaiting photos of the new buses prior to going into service.

Would some have suburban seating then?

1 minute ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Would some have suburban seating then?

Depends on what type of suburban seating settings were specified for the artics.  Can't say further unless I receive interior photos of the bus.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, HoustonMETROFan said:

Depends on what type of suburban seating settings were specified for the artics.  Can't say further unless I receive interior photos of the bus.

Fair enough, I know your good on updating us