WMATA Washington

DCAreaTransitFan

On 7/19/2022 at 6:51 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Those are Landover units. Likely were there for maintenance them.

I just realized something, what is WMATA planning to buy if they say they are done with Diesel bus orders after next year (2023)? They have a long way to go before electric buses really become a thing in the fleet and I doubt most depots can go to CNG besides Bladensburg, Four Mile Run, and Sheppard's Parkway. Is there a chance they could return to buying new Hybrid buses in the interim years?

1 hour ago, BusTraveler96 said:

MAJOR CRIME ALERT: Someone shot a 17-year-old teen near Prince George's Plaza Metro Station last night. The suspect fled the scene by car before Hyattsville police arrived.

https://wtop.com/prince-georges-county/2022/07/teen-shot-near-prince-georges-co-metro-station-police-say/

Swear, crime has been a major issue in PG lately...

3 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

I just realized something, what is WMATA planning to buy if they say they are done with Diesel bus orders after next year (2023)? They have a long way to go before electric buses really become a thing in the fleet and I doubt most depots can go to CNG besides Bladensburg, Four Mile Run, and Sheppard's Parkway. Is there a chance they could return to buying new Hybrid buses in the interim years?

Likely mainly CNGs. Idk what else they're planning to buy for rn but likely they'd buy hybrids for rn.

Anyways, beginning on August 1, Blue, Orange, and Silver Line trains will be increased to every 15 minutes on weekdays. Weekend service will stay at 24 minutes but there are plans to expand it to 15 minutes once the Orange Line shutdown is complete.

https://wmata.com/about/news/BOS-Service-Imprvoements-beginning-Aug-1.cfm

Lastly, WMATA is currently searching for a new area to build a new garage in order to replace Western. 

https://twitter.com/MetroReasons/status/1552481886861131776?s=20&t=Iq8jIyIahcB9quKaJeEzqg

6403 is now at Cinder Bed now.  Was on the 29K this midday.  Also saw a DE40LFR on the beltway in Alexandria going towards the WW Bridge.  Couldn’t see the number at 5 am.   Possibly coming from West Ox since I see several around that time in the morning every day.  (Don’t know what I pressed to center this lol)

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

6403 is now at Cinder Bed now.  Was on the 29K this midday.  Also saw a DE40LFR on the beltway in Alexandria going towards the WW Bridge.  Couldn’t see the number at 5 am.   Possibly coming from West Ox since I see several around that time in the morning every day.  (Don’t know what I pressed to center this lol)

You mean D40LFR? Lol.

Are 6398-6399, 6404, and 6405 at Cinder Bed?

10 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Swear, crime has been a major issue in PG lately...

Likely mainly CNGs. Idk what else they're planning to buy for rn but likely they'd buy hybrids for rn.

Anyways, beginning on August 1, Blue, Orange, and Silver Line trains will be increased to every 15 minutes on weekdays. Weekend service will stay at 24 minutes but there are plans to expand it to 15 minutes once the Orange Line shutdown is complete.

https://wmata.com/about/news/BOS-Service-Imprvoements-beginning-Aug-1.cfm

Lastly, WMATA is currently searching for a new area to build a new garage in order to replace Western. 

https://twitter.com/MetroReasons/status/1552481886861131776?s=20&t=Iq8jIyIahcB9quKaJeEzqg

Now THAT I find very interesting. It was only a matter of time before WMATA would seek to replace Western at it is a very old depot. It's somewhat similar to the other retired depots that closed down during the last 15 years. Capacity is always an issue with that garage. I just hope they build it closer to VA (preferably around Tyson's Corner as there is plenty of room over there. It could be a shared division between D.C., Maryland, and VA. Could possibly take some outer FMR depot routes in western Fairfax and some West Ox routes if that depot never returns for service). Lastly, it could also relieve Montgomery of some of it's overcrowding issues. Make it house 240 or so buses.

5 hours ago, Rob S said:

I doubt you saw a DE40LFR as all those buses have been retired since March/April 2021.

12 hours ago, BusTraveler96 said:

MAJOR CRIME ALERT: Someone shot a 17-year-old teen near Prince George's Plaza Metro Station last night. The suspect fled the scene by car before Hyattsville police arrived.

https://wtop.com/prince-georges-county/2022/07/teen-shot-near-prince-georges-co-metro-station-police-say/

The WMATA police need more funding.

17 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

Now THAT I find very interesting. It was only a matter of time before WMATA would seek to replace Western at it is a very old depot. It's somewhat similar to the other retired depots that closed down during the last 15 years. Capacity is always an issue with that garage. I just hope they build it closer to VA (preferably around Tyson's Corner as there is plenty of room over there. It could be a shared division between D.C., Maryland, and VA. Could possibly take some outer FMR depot routes in western Fairfax and some West Ox routes if that depot never returns for service). Lastly, it could also relieve Montgomery of some of it's overcrowding issues. Make it house 240 or so buses.

I doubt you saw a DE40LFR as all those buses have been retired since March/April 2021.

The WMATA police need more funding.

I meant D40LFR lol.  I have only seen 6403, it was out this morning again.  I don’t see where there is any room around Western for a new garage.  

6 hours ago, vvozz said:

2835 has had its windows replaced.

Are the 2015-16 XN40s suppose to be rehabbed soon?

4 hours ago, Rob S said:

I meant D40LFR lol.  I have only seen 6403, it was out this morning again.  I don’t see where there is any room around Western for a new garage.  

Me neither. Most land where WMATA can place a garage in DC is in prime real estate. So its likely a new garage will need to be built somewhere like Landover or Cinder Bed are.

9 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Are the 2015-16 XN40s suppose to be rehabbed soon?

Me neither. Most land where WMATA can place a garage in DC is in prime real estate. So its likely a new garage will need to be built somewhere like Landover or Cinder Bed are.

I say fill up Cinder Bed and expand West Ox for most of the VA routes.  FMR could then do the Arlington routes and help more in DC.  They could easily help on the 70/79 for example.  I see a lot of Montgomery buses in VA on the GW parkway dead heading to start the runs.

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

I’ll go through it later. Found my bus map from 2002!

B5324A7B-DB3B-4B79-9926-6518518314D7.jpeg

Interesting. I would like to see how much has changed in current day maps lol.

5 hours ago, Rob S said:

I say fill up Cinder Bed and expand West Ox for most of the VA routes.  FMR could then do the Arlington routes and help more in DC.  They could easily help on the 70/79 for example.  I see a lot of Montgomery buses in VA on the GW parkway dead heading to start the runs.

FMR were already doing the 42/43 and some S2 trips pre-pandemic. Cinder Bed should also get the 8W, 10A, 10B, 21C as well imo. West Ox can get their regular routes back, along with sharing some Cinder Bed routes again. FMR keeps their pre-pandemic routes tbh. Does anyone know what routes WMATA is planning on bringing back for next round of changes? 

B9F6B63C-4E74-4AF1-82EC-48FFC32EB3A8.jpeg

1AA98720-D72B-496B-9111-4E60FD7C3AA5.jpeg

B10B6BED-1298-4198-ADAF-D8A6085DCBC9.jpeg

FD5BCE55-DA86-4DA0-9047-6CE894E6E472.jpeg

1242D207-D40C-48FA-9A9E-8A7B3F4E0D89.jpeg

C8AD94DD-BD1B-4D66-B26A-39B92B06C9D9.jpeg

C786EFD7-C246-4DDF-9BA9-31C747FEA85B.jpeg

I’ll attach more later.  Have a dc map on the other side.  Regular fare was 1.10 and smart trip wasn’t accepted yet.  I use to use the monthly bus flash pass.  I forgot the manufacturer of the old fare boxes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

METRORAIL ALERT: Problems with an arcing insulator caused the Red Line to suspend service between Van Ness and Farragut North Metro Stations last night; smoke has been reported between Dupont Circle and Woodley Park Metro Stations as a result of the arcing insulator problem.

https://wjla.com/news/local/metro-service-suspended-wmata-trains-dc-public-transportation-arcing-insulator-smoke-between-dupont-circle-woodley-park-van-ness-north-farragut

On 7/30/2022 at 2:09 PM, Rob S said:

B9F6B63C-4E74-4AF1-82EC-48FFC32EB3A8.jpeg

1AA98720-D72B-496B-9111-4E60FD7C3AA5.jpeg

B10B6BED-1298-4198-ADAF-D8A6085DCBC9.jpeg

FD5BCE55-DA86-4DA0-9047-6CE894E6E472.jpeg

1242D207-D40C-48FA-9A9E-8A7B3F4E0D89.jpeg

C8AD94DD-BD1B-4D66-B26A-39B92B06C9D9.jpeg

C786EFD7-C246-4DDF-9BA9-31C747FEA85B.jpeg

I’ll attach more later.  Have a dc map on the other side.  Regular fare was 1.10 and smart trip wasn’t accepted yet.  I use to use the monthly bus flash pass.  I forgot the manufacturer of the old fare boxes.

Wasn't Smart trip around since the late 1990s? By 2005, WMATA Metrobuses (and the trains) were certainly using them.

5 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

Wasn't Smart trip around since the late 1990s? By 2005, WMATA Metrobuses (and the trains) were certainly using them.

The test Smart Trip (can’t remember what it was called) ran until May 1999 when the current smart trip card for the rail was introduced.  The buses didn’t take it back in 2002.  Still had the old fare boxes.  You either payed with cash, tokens, or flash passes (fare cards) that you showed the drivers.  

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 6:40 AM, Rob S said:

I could see Four Mile Run helping out with more Southeast D.C. lines, possibly replacing Southern Annex depot in the process and helping out Sheppard's Parkway and Bladensburg depots. Possibly like this:

Four Mile Run: U5, U6, U7, V2, V7, V8, 4B, 5A (until elimination), 7A, 7M, 16A, 16C, 16E, 16G, 16H, 16Y, 22A, 22F, 23B, 25B, 28A, and Metroway

West Ox: 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 3F, 3Y, 26A, 29K, 29G, 38B

Cinder Bed: P6 (Rush-hour trips only), W3, W4, 8W, 10A, 10B, 11C, 17B, 17G, 17K, 17M, 18G, 18J, 18P, 21C, 23A, 23T, 29N and REX

Sheppard's Parkway: D6, X3, X9, 90, 92, A2, A4, A6, A7, A8, A31, A32, A33, M6, NH2, P6, P18, W1, W2, W5, W6, W8, and W14.

Other routes would be split between Bladensburg and Andrew's Medical Center depots.

2 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

I could see Four Mile Run helping out with more Southeast D.C. lines, possibly replacing Southern Annex depot in the process and helping out Sheppard's Parkway and Bladensburg depots. Possibly like this:

Four Mile Run: U5, U6, U7, V2, V7, V8, 4B, 5A (until elimination), 7A, 7M, 16A, 16C, 16E, 16G, 16H, 16Y, 22A, 22F, 23B, 25B, 28A, and Metroway

West Ox: 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 3F, 3Y, 26A, 29K, 29G, 38B

Cinder Bed: P6 (Rush-hour trips only), W3, W4, 8W, 10A, 10B, 11C, 17B, 17G, 17K, 17M, 18G, 18J, 18P, 21C, 23A, 23T, 29N and REX

Sheppard's Parkway: D6, X3, X9, 90, 92, A2, A4, A6, A7, A8, A31, A32, A33, M6, NH2, P6, P18, W1, W2, W5, W6, W8, and W14.

Other routes would be split between Bladensburg and Andrew's Medical Center depots.

I think Northern reopening and Blade's rehab being finished will replace Southern Avenue. I doubt Cinder Bed will do any non VA routes (unless they wanna throw the NH2 in but deadhead is closer to Shepherd Parkway). Western is also supposed to close in a few years too. But this is how it'd go imo:

Blade would get the D6 (with splits at Western), U lines, V8, X9 again, and possibly the V7.

Northern would get the 50s, 60s, 70s, and S lines back, maybe the H8 and could possibly maybe do some trips on the R2 again.

Shep would take the V2, V4, and the W4 fully. Andrews can chip in the V2/V4 maybe.

West Ox would get the 1, 2, and 3 lines back, alongside the 26A and 38B. Cinder Bed can get the 8W, 10A, 10B, 21C, 28F, and maybe some 28A trips. 

This would relieve all the work for FMR as a result, they can probably do some 42/43 trips again like they did pre-pandemic.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I think Northern reopening and Blade's rehab being finished will replace Southern Avenue. I doubt Cinder Bed will do any non VA routes (unless they wanna throw the NH2 in but deadhead is closer to Shepherd Parkway). Western is also supposed to close in a few years too. But this is how it'd go imo:

Blade would get the D6 (with splits at Western), U lines, V8, X9 again, and possibly the V7.

Northern would get the 50s, 60s, 70s, and S lines back, maybe the H8 and could possibly maybe do some trips on the R2 again.

Shep would take the V2, V4, and the W4 fully. Andrews can chip in the V2/V4 maybe.

West Ox would get the 1, 2, and 3 lines back, alongside the 26A and 38B. Cinder Bed can get the 8W, 10A, 10B, 21C, 28F, and maybe some 28A trips. 

This would relieve all the work for FMR as a result, they can probably do some 42/43 trips again like they did pre-pandemic.

I just thought of something, you think there's a chance that when Phase II of the Silver line is opened, the 5A might NOT get eliminated, but instead transferred over to Fairfax Connector? Perhaps renumber the line to "990" and cut back the service by traveling between Dulles and Tyson's Corner instead? Probably not using the toll roads either. I say this because FFC already has atleast 2 other bus lines that go to the airport (the 983 is one, forgot the other one). It could operate out of either West Ox or Reston depots as they are both pretty close to the airport (and each other now thinking about it).

15 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Should that happen, Montgomery will only serve MD routes again like before. It is a long way for them to downtown via the 70 and 79 lines. I can see the 26A staying at Cinder Bed as the Nova terminal for the line is closer to the depot than West Ox is, but not by much though.