WMATA Washington

DCAreaTransitFan

here are the potential changes for September:
https://www.wmata.com/about/board/meetings/board-pdfs/upload/3-Service-and-Fare-Recommendations.pdf

Here some detail of stuff that caught my eye:

• Routes 42/43 will be rerouted to Potomac Park/Kennedy Center and have its segment between Farragut Square and Gallery Place eliminated
  • Route 63 will restore its peak period service and operate along the 64 routing which will alternate along 11th Street
  • Route 80 will terminate at McPherson Square
  • Route L1 will be converted into L2
  • Routes 1B, 8W, 16Y, K9, N2/N4 will be restored
  • Routes D13/D14 are proposed to be combined into one route D14 and separated into a new line from the D12
  • A proposed alignment of Route F4 inside Riverdale Park (personally I hope this don't happen)
  • Routes Z6 and Z8 will be combined into one route
  • Route 3Y will be restored with a modified routing along North Glebe Road
  • Routes 18G and 18H will be combined into one hybrid route
  • Routes 7F, 7Y, 30N/30S will be eliminated
  • Route 7A will be extended to Van Dorn along the 25B routing between Southern Towers and Van Dorn. Route 25B will be shortened to Southern Towers as a result
  • Route 28A will be rerouted between Alexandria and the City of Falls Church 

The rest of the routes will either have their pre-pandemic schedule restored, a new running time, new frequencies, or have no changes. Some routes will also have minor cutbacks which were not worth mentioned on here.

The following routes will remain suspended: 4A, 7C, 7P, 8S, 8Z, 10E, 10N, 11Y, 16L, 17L, 21A, 21D, 22C, 28G, 34, 37, 39, 87, 89, 97, A9, B8, B9, B29, B30, C28, D1, D5, E6, G9, H1, H3, H11, H13, J4, L1, P19, S1, V1, X1, X3 (full route)

16 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

https://www.wmata.com/about/board/meetings/board-pdfs/upload/3-Service-and-Fare-Recommendations.pdf

• Routes 42/43 will be rerouted to Potomac Park/Kennedy Center and have its segment between Farragut Square and Gallery Place eliminated
  • Route 63 will restore its peak period service and operate along the 64 routing which will alternate along 11th Street
  • Routes D13/D14 are proposed to be combined into one route D14 and separated into a new line from the D12
  • A proposed alignment of Route F4 inside Riverdale Park (personally I hope this don't happen)
  • Route 7A will be extended to Van Dorn along the 25B routing between Southern Towers and Van Dorn. Route 25B will be shortened to Southern Towers as a result

The rest of the routes will either have their pre-pandemic schedule restored, a new running time, new frequencies, or have no changes. Some routes will also have minor cutbacks which were not worth mentioned on here.

The following routes will remain suspended: 4A, 7C, 7P, 8S, 8Z, 10E, 10N, 11Y, 16L, 17L, 21A, 21D, 22C, 28G, 34, 37, 39, 87, 89, 97, A9, B8, B9, B29, B30, C28, D1, D5, E6, G9, H1, H3, H11, H13, J4, L1, P19, S1, V1, X1, X3 (full route)

I guess we can assume that the rest of the routes are eliminated

19 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

I guess we can assume that the rest of the routes are eliminated

Not eliminated. All are still suspended and will probably comeback in the future. But most those routes that are still suspended has coverage already from other alternatives. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

12 electric buses will be tested at Shep beginning in 2023. WMATA also has a goal for an all electric fleet by 2045

https://dcist.com/story/21/06/10/metro-goal-entirely-electric-bus-fleet-2045/?fbclid=IwAR3r_faIpoTmPwmluO06n8RfZEglZkYYf4KeqQ51MTRk6pTO8XBUkYHfAWg

I mentioned this earlier in the year, but now we have an official source. What I'm wondering is, will WMATA briefly return to buying new Hybrid-electric buses as this article is suggesting that they will stop buying new diesel buses soon (don't know what year, as we are set to get several hundred new XD40s in the near future, some of which are arriving now (#4500s)). They also want to be nearly 50% CNG which I find hard to believe.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

I mentioned this earlier in the year, but now we have an official source. What I'm wondering is, will WMATA briefly return to buying new Hybrid-electric buses as this article is suggesting that they will stop buying new diesel buses soon (don't know what year, as we are set to get several hundred new XD40s in the near future, some of which are arriving now (#4500s)). They also want to be nearly 50% CNG which I find hard to believe.

Not sure yet only time will tell 

On 6/10/2021 at 1:48 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Thanks!

Good stuff in here. It took a pandemic, but WMATA is finally getting serious about restructuring bus routes. There's a looooong way to go -- this is an encouraging start.

Some thoughts:

= 30N-30S... good riddance.

= Yeah 3Y! Underrated little route -- happy to see baby steps toward building up "useful" commuter service. On that note, will keep a close eye on the 16Y. I remember when that route first started -- it ran like four trips a day in each direction. By the eve of Covid, it was carrying full loads at a 5-8 minute headway. I can see the service intensity gradually ramping up, now that it's on the road again.

= Need to see more details for the 7 line. I love the idea of extending it to Van Dorn St M, but can't quite discern how the 25B routing figures into it. What would become of the segment on Beauregard St south of Seminary Rd? Yikes -- don't %$#& up a potentially "easy" route by dragging it down 100 different minor streets.

= Otherwise in Alexandria, will be interesting to see what happens with the "temporary" 21C mash-up plus a restored 8W. There's more work to do in this area... nonetheless, glad to see the "8" line stay alive.

= Anxious about 28A. I can see a case to clean it up. Then again, hard to imagine it'd have such high ridership if it dodged Alexandria Hospital and NVCC. We shall see!

= Eh, I could take or leave the K9. Because the K6 is pretty short, I don't consider New Hampshire Ave a critical corridor for limited-stop service. I think the current 10-minute headway on the K6 is more useful than two separate routes.

= 80... totally endorse this. The Kennedy Center 'tail' slows the whole route down. It never made sense to serve west Downtown/Foggy Bottom area with a route from North Capitol St. The main part of the route is busy as is... and exhibits major growth potential. This change will let the route run more reliably.

= 42-43... I am torn! I do like taking it to Potomac Park -- I assume it will use 18th and 19th? That is a growing employment area. But what about the current Downtown alignment? There is strong ridership. Can't picture McPherson Square/Franklin Square area without the 42-43. Hmm...

This certainly is getting fun again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Border City Transit said:

Thanks!

Good stuff in here. It took a pandemic, but WMATA is finally getting serious about restructuring bus routes. There's a looooong way to go -- this is an encouraging start.

Some thoughts:

= Yeah 3Y! Underrated little route -- happy to see baby steps toward building up "useful" commuter service. On that note, will keep a close eye on the 16Y. I remember when that route first started -- it ran like four trips a day in each direction. By the eve of Covid, it was carrying full loads at a 5-8 minute headway. I can see the service intensity gradually ramping up, now that it's on the road again.

= Need to see more details for the 7 line. I love the idea of extending it to Van Dorn St M, but can't quite discern how the 25B routing figures into it. What would become of the segment on Beauregard St south of Seminary Rd? Yikes -- don't %$#& up a potentially "easy" route by dragging it down 100 different minor streets.

= Otherwise in Alexandria, will be interesting to see what happens with the "temporary" 21C mash-up plus a restored 8W. There's more work to do in this area... nonetheless, glad to see the "8" line stay alive.

= Anxious about 28A. I can see a case to clean it up. Then again, hard to imagine it'd have such high ridership if it dodged Alexandria Hospital and NVCC. We shall see!

= Eh, I could take or leave the K9. Because the K6 is pretty short, I don't consider New Hampshire Ave a critical corridor for limited-stop service. I think the current 10-minute headway on the K6 is more useful than two separate routes.

= 80... totally endorse this. The Kennedy Center 'tail' slows the whole route down. It never made sense to serve west Downtown/Foggy Bottom area with a route from North Capitol St. The main part of the route is busy as is... and exhibits major growth potential. This change will let the route run more reliably.

= 42-43... I am torn! I do like taking it to Potomac Park -- I assume it will use 18th and 19th? That is a growing employment area. But what about the current Downtown alignment? There is strong ridership. Can't picture McPherson Square/Franklin Square area without the 42-43. Hmm...

Don't forget, DASH bus is going to have their entire system reimagined in the fall. Whatever areas that will no longer be served by Metrobus, will most likely be replaced by DASH service.

6 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Thanks!

Some thoughts:

4 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Don't forget, DASH bus is going to have their entire system reimagined in the fall. Whatever areas that will no longer be served by Metrobus, will most likely be replaced by DASH service.

The 7, 25, and 28 lines modifications are under the Alexandria Transit Revision plan. It was already approved last month and the proposed changes were mentioned as far back as December (i think on page 37 on here). Not sure of the other details right now we’ll Probably get the maps in the next month or two and the changes will happen in September. But it all seems interesting.

17 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

The 7, 25, and 28 lines modifications are under the Alexandria Transit Revision plan. It was already approved last month and the proposed changes were mentioned as far back as December (i think on page 37 on here). Not sure of the other details right now we’ll Probably get the maps in the next month or two and the changes will happen in September. But it all seems interesting.

Also, DASH is getting XE60 buses, forgot to mention that they have some on order.

21 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Also, DASH is getting XE60 buses, forgot to mention that they have some on order.

Also, TheBus is also getting Gillig BRT 35 footers. One unit was spotted in Iowa which was 63041. No VINs or license plates yet. I assume these will be replacing the 2008-10 Gilligs.

2 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

It seems 6012 and 6013 went to Western. Was shown to have Western blocks and are currently on the 31 and L2

Did Montgomery get anything back? Also, are #6140-6146 still at FMR? I haven't been over there in a while...

12 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

nope and yep (6140-6145; 6146 a Shep bus). Also 6199 to Andrews

I knew something seemed off about that, thanks. I'm guessing all the XD60s have been delivered and are in service at last? 

8 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

I knew something seemed off about that, thanks. I'm guessing all the XD60s have been delivered and are in service at last? 

no update on 5533, 5534, 5539-5541 yet. Possibly entered service though

2 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

no update on 5533, 5534, 5539-5541 yet. Possibly entered service though

They should be, lol. I guess the XD40s are slow too. I also notice that the 2011-13 XDE40s haven't been rehabbed in a while....

32 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

They should be, lol. I guess the XD40s are slow too. I also notice that the 2011-13 XDE40s haven't been rehabbed in a while....

they in the process of rehabbing rn. Also the Orion 3Gs are too I believe

Hi, all good everyone, oh wait wait a few minutes! Finally, I found my old picture from my iPhone 6. I had to stop in the DC Area. Did you know about the old bus Orion V coach (2157)? If you catch the picture and I was surprised wow!! I had saved files or folders on my USB of the pictures used on my computer. Last on April 4 or 5, 2016.

12971045_1408511312508477_6567076504138141293_o_1408511312508477.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amaryah Johnson said:

Hi, all good everyone, oh wait wait a few minutes! Finally, I found my old picture from my iPhone 6. I had to stop in the DC Area. Did you know about the old bus Orion V coach (2157)? If you catch the picture and I was surprised wow!! I had saved files or folders on my USB of the pictures used on my computer. Last on April 4 or 5, 2016.

12971045_1408511312508477_6567076504138141293_o_1408511312508477.jpg

Nice. I think 2157 retired prior to 2019. Remember it being at Royal Street and Northern. Not sure where else it been.

21 minutes ago, Amaryah Johnson said:

Hey, I ask you, I haven't more new group a member about the bus from WMATA program or East Bus page on Facebook. The group what name is it. Please?

Theres three groups Im in called the DC, MD, VA Area Transit, DMV Transit Group, and DMV Transit Hub

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Nice. I think 2157 retired prior to 2019. Remember it being at Royal Street and Northern. Not sure where else it been.

Theres three groups Im in called the DC, MD, VA Area Transit, DMV Transit Group, and DMV Transit Hub

So cool and I have never heard that's. That's great!

Thank you, for the copy 👍.

I'm done now. Thanks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Yeah, at one point between 2010 and 2014, Royal street depot had 2000 Orion 5.501s #2100-2183, along with 1999 Orion 5.505's #3946-3949. Prior to that, I remember them having various 1990 Flexible Metro Bs and some 1997 Orion 5.501s (IIRC #4353-4379?). They also had various 1992 Orion Vs in the #9600s until 2008 when they got retired suddenly.

• Like 1