WMATA Washington

13 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Fairfax Connector will officially be taking over 5 Metrobus routes beginning on July 10, 2021. The routes are the following:

Yep. This has been years in the making.

Of this list, the only one that really surprises me is the 3A.

I've always sensed an unspoken agreement that Metro handles local service within the Beltway... then, further afield, Fairfax Connector can go crazy.

And that's pretty slick of Metro: "Uh huh, Cinder Bed is going in-house"... then move a couple Cinder Bed routes "across the street" to Fairfax Connector. Still operated by Transdev... just under a different name. Meh.

11 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

actually got word that West Ox will reopen this September per union.

Interesting. I still don't see the case for three Metrobus garages in Virginia.

But, if they're indeed in it for the long haul at West Ox, maybe they'll start using it more strategically.

I happen to think they jam waaay too much service into Four Mile Run. If West Ox is for real, consider moving the 23 and 28 lines over there... not to mention all trips of 38B.

Take some heat off of Four Mile Run.

• Like 2
On 5/6/2021 at 8:49 AM, Border City Transit said:

I've always sensed an unspoken agreement that Metro handles local service within the Beltway... then, further afield, Fairfax Connector can go crazy.

And that's pretty slick of Metro: "Uh huh, Cinder Bed is going in-house"... then move a couple Cinder Bed routes "across the street" to Fairfax Connector. Still operated by Transdev... just under a different name. Meh.

But, if they're indeed in it for the long haul at West Ox, maybe they'll start using it more strategically.

I happen to think they jam waaay too much service into Four Mile Run. If West Ox is for real, consider moving the 23 and 28 lines over there... not to mention all trips of 38B.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you! If I was running the VA Metrobus division, and I mentioned this before but, I would have:

West Ox depot

1: A,B,C

2: A,B

4: A,B

16: L

26A

38B

In addition, I would have WMATA conduct a study to determine the feasibility of operating a  Metrobus service from Tyson's/ Reston, to Manassas Mall. It would be dubbed the "6A and 6M". These would be out of West Ox. Additionally, a revived 14 line from Tyson's to Silver Spring MD would be created too, since there is already talk about it.

Four Mile Run depot:

5A (until eliminated) 

7: A, F,M,Y,C,P

8W

10: A,B

11C

16: A,C,G,H,Y

21C

22: A,C,F

23: A,B,T

25B

28: A,F

Plus all of West Ox's weekend routes.

Cinder Bed depot

17 lines

18 lines

29: N,K

REX

Metroway

(Plus, Cinder Bed will takeover the 10A/B on weekends and operate both the 11C and 21C once WMATA returns). 

Also, Fairfax Connector is supposedly going to buy another 12 buses from WMATA, so that will also be interesting.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Border City Transit said:

14 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you! If I was running the VA Metrobus division, and I mentioned this before but, I would have:

West Ox depot

1: A,B,C

2: A,B

4: A,B

16: L

26A

38B

In addition, I would have WMATA conduct a study to determine the feasibility of operating a  Metrobus service from Tyson's/ Reston, to Manassas Mall. It would be dubbed the "6A and 6M". These would be out of West Ox. Additionally, a revived 14 line from Tyson's to Silver Spring MD would be created too, since there is already talk about it.

Four Mile Run depot:

5A (until eliminated) 

7: A, F,M,Y,C,P

8W

10: A,B

11C

16: A,C,G,H,Y

21C

22: A,C,F

23: A,B,T

25B

28: A,F

Plus all of West Ox's weekend routes.

Cinder Bed depot

17 lines

18 lines

29: N,K

REX

Metroway

(Plus, Cinder Bed will takeover the 10A/B on weekends and operate both the 11C and 21C once WMATA returns). 

Also, Fairfax Connector is supposedly going to buy another 12 buses from WMATA, so that will also be intersting.

I don't see the point of three garages in VA too since operations can be moved between a non Transdev Cinder Bed and FMR. But we did had Arlington, Royal Street, and FMR before and it worked for the VA routes. Once WMATA takes back Cinder Bed, they'll be able to put some of Royal Street old routes there and West Ox will definitely be taking back the 1, and 2 lines plus the 38B. A lot of VA routes are still suspended rn so it wouldn't be too crazy rn. We will probably see at the end of this year what's moving where once Cinder Bed is back under WMATA control.

1 minute ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I don't see the point of three garages in VA too since operations can be moved between a non Transdev Cinder Bed and FMR. But we did had Arlington, Royal Street, and FMR before and it worked for the VA routes. Once WMATA takes back Cinder Bed, they'll be able to put some of Royal Street old routes there and West Ox will definitely be taking back the 1, and 2 lines plus the 38B. A lot of VA routes are still suspended rn so it wouldn't be too crazy rn. We will probably see at the end of this year what's moving where once Cinder Bed is back under WMATA control.

Could Four Mile possibly take over some D.C. routes too? I can see them getting the 74 for example, as well as 42 part-time.

11 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Could Four Mile possibly take over some D.C. routes too? I can see them getting the 74 for example, as well as 42 part-time.

Immediately after Northern closed, Four Mile Run was handling odd pieces from a few DC routes.

I don't think Four Mile Run has ever completely run a DC route... but they've definitely had a presence. Will be interesting to see if this happens again as service recovers...

6 minutes ago, Border City Transit said:

Immediately after Northern closed, Four Mile Run was handling odd pieces from a few DC routes.

I don't think Four Mile Run has ever completely run a DC route... but they've definitely had a presence. Will be interesting to see if this happens again as service recovers...

I think they used to fully have the N22 line (not to be confused with the NICE bus/ former MTA Long Island bus route of the same name, lol) until it was axed in the late 2000s and replaced with the Circulator.

2 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Any clue as to what buses FFC could be buying from Metro? I think it could be the DE42LFAs or DE37LFAs.

2 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

FMR did some trips on the 42/43 and S2 and I think some 50 lines too during the peak hours. When pandemic hit they stopped doing them.

2 hours ago, Chris.A said:

I think they used to fully have the N22 line (not to be confused with the NICE bus/ former MTA Long Island bus route of the same name, lol) until it was axed in the late 2000s and replaced with the Circulator.

I did remember seeing the N22 out of FMR a few times. Idk if it operated daily but its now one the Circulator routes. Also the 98 was given to them too

10 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Any clue as to what buses FFC could be buying from Metro? I think it could be the DE42LFAs or DE37LFAs.

I don't think it'd be the LFAs maybe the Orion VIIs instead since they already got 3082-3087. i'm not sure however.

21 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

FMR did some trips on the 42/43 and S2 and I think some 50 lines too during the peak hours. When pandemic hit they stopped doing them.

I did remember seeing the N22 out of FMR a few times. Idk if it operated daily but its now one the Circulator routes. Also the 98 was given to them too

I don't think it'd be the LFAs maybe the Orion VIIs instead since they already got 3082-3087. i'm not sure however.

I mean, if these buses are the result of getting these routes, then I think it will probably be 35ft or 40 ft buses, but I guess we will have to wait.

WMATA has announced its schedule adjustments beginning on June 6. 
https://www.wmata.com/about/news/Metrobus-June2021-Service-Changes.cfm

The following changes will occur:

• Service up to 2 AM daily: 1A, 7A, 10A, 16E, 23B, 28A,  32, 33, 36, 38B, 52, 70, 80, 92, A6, A8, A12, C4, D12, F4, G8, H4, J2, K6, L2, P6, P12, S2, T18, U5, V2, W2, W4, X2, Y2, Z8
  • Service restored: 18J, 23B, 23T, 26A, 28F, 60
  • Weekend service restored: 62, C29 (to Bowie), W3 (Saturday)
  • Modified routes: Route 11C (replaces 11Y; rerouted to serve Braddock Road), 17K (17H extended along the 17K route), 21C (21A and 8Z combination), 22F (replacing 28G to Skyline City), C26 (replacing C28 to Bowie)
  • Transferred to Fairfax Connector: 3A, 3T, 15K, 29C, 29W
  • Schedule adjustments: 30N, 30S, 32, 36, 64, 96, A2, A4, D13, D14, G12, G14, M4, W3, W5
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

WMATA has announced its schedule adjustments beginning on June 6. 
https://www.wmata.com/about/news/Metrobus-June2021-Service-Changes.cfm

The following changes will occur:

• Service up to 2 AM daily: 1A, 7A, 10A, 16E, 23B, 28A,  32, 33, 36, 38B, 52, 70, 80, 92, A6, A8, A12, C4, D12, F4, G8, H4, J2, K6, L2, P6, P12, S2, T18, U5, V2, W2, W4, X2, Y2, Z8
  • Service restored: 18J, 23B, 23T, 26A, 28F, 60
  • Modified routes: Route 11C (replaces 11Y; rerouted to serve Braddock Road), 17K (17H extended along the 17K route), 21C (21A and 8Z combination), 22F (replacing 28G to Skyline City), C26 (replacing C28 to Bowie)
  • Schedule adjustments: 30N, 30S, 32, 36, 64, 96, A2, A4, D13, D14, G12, G14, M4, W3, W5

So this means that the 8 lines will officially be discontinued?

Helpfully, Fairfax Connector will improve the frequency of the former 29C and 29W as they were pretty lousy under Metrobus.

So this means that the 8 lines will officially be discontinued?

Helpfully, Fairfax Connector will improve the frequency of the former 29C and 29W as they were pretty lousy under Metrobus.

21C is a plot route for the 21A and 8Z but I don’t think they’ll be eliminated fully. I’m thinking the full routes will comeback in the future when ridership goes back up since WMATA will bring back their remaining suspended routes once demands picks back up. 

5538 also entered on the W4 today. Unsure if any others are in service as their trackers aren’t working yet.

WMATA announced its June 6, 2021 changes. https://www.wmata.com/service/status/details/Metrobus-Service-Changes.cfm

Here are the changes: 

• Service up to 2 AM daily: 1A, 7A, 10A, 16E, 23B, 28A,  32, 33, 36, 38B, 52, 70, 80, 92, A6, A8, A12, C4, D12, F4, G8, H4, J2, K6, L2, P6, P12, S2, T18, U5, V2, W2, W4, X2, Y2, Z8
  • Service restored: 18J, 23B (weekdays), 23T (weekdays), 26A, 28F, 60

Here are the 2 AM modified routes. Routes that aren't listed here will operate its full route:

• 7A: Late-night trips after midnight will operate between the Pentagon and Southern Towers only.
  • 80: Late-night trips between midnight and 2 a.m. will operate between Fort Totten Metrorail Station and McPherson Square only. 
  • G8: Late-night trips between approximately 12:30 a.m. and 2 a.m. will operate between Farragut Square and Rhode Island Avenue Metrorail Station only. 
  • P6: Late-night trips between midnight and 2 a.m. will operate between Anacostia and Archives Metrorail stations only. 
  • V2/V4: Hours of operation for Route V2 will be extended to 2 a.m. Hours of operation for Route V4 will be shortened to end at 11:30 p.m. on weekdays and 10:30 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
  • W2: Late-night trips between midnight and 2 a.m. will operate between the Anacostia Metrorail Station and Naylor & Good Hope roads only.

Here are the modified, reroutes, and new routes:

• 62/63: Service operates as Route 62 between Takoma and Georgia Ave-Petworth stations every 48 minutes on Saturdays and Sundays. There will be no Route 63 service on Saturdays or Sundays. 
  • Route M4 will be extended beyond Pinehurst Circle to serve Western Avenue, Oregon Avenue and Chestnut Street NW. The northbound destination sign will be changed to “Western Ave & Oregon Ave”. Route M4 will begin serving the Knollwood Community once construction on Oregon Avenue is complete in late 2021. 
  • Saturday service on Route W3 will be restored to pre-pandemic service levels. 
  • Weekday trips on Route C26 will be extended to Bowie Park & Ride via Pointer Ridge, Bowie Health Center and Bowie Gateway Center. This provides alternate service for some B29 and C28 customers. Saturday Route C29 trips resume pre-pandemic service to Bowie State University. 
  • Routes D13 and D14 will return to regular routing on Indian Highway (MD 210) following the completion of the interchange at Indian Head Highway, Livingston Road and Kerby Hill Road. 
  • 11C will operate between Mount Vernon and the Braddock Road Metrorail Station during morning and evening rush hours and partially replace Route 11Y. Morning trips will operate northbound from Mount Vernon to the Braddock Road Metrorail Station and afternoon trips will operate from the Braddock Road Metrorail Station to Mount Vernon. Route 11C will serve all bus stops between the Braddock Road Metrorail Station and Mount Vernon. Local fare will be required for this route. 
  • Routes 17H and 17K will be combined and renamed Route 17K. Route 17H designation will be eliminated. Morning Route 17K trips will start on Twinbrook Road & Twinbrook Run Drive and operate along Guinea Road, Zion Drive, Sideburn Road, Commonwealth Boulevard, Pommeroy Road, Guinea Road service road, Burke Road, Lake Braddock Road, Burke Lake Road, Braddock Road and continue to the Pentagon along I-495 and I-395 HOT Lanes. Afternoon trips follow the morning route through Kings Park West and operate clockwise from Guinea & Burke roads before continuing to Twinbrook Road & Heathwood Court Service along Commonwealth Boulevard between Pommeroy Road and Guinea Road and along Gainsborough Drive will be eliminated. 
  • 21C will operate between Landmark, Holmes Run Parkway, North Van Dorn Street and the Pentagon and partially replaces routes 8Z and 21A. Route 21C will operate between the Pentagon and Landmark along Stevenson Avenue, Yoakum Parkway, Edsall Road, South Reynolds Street, Duke Street, North Pickett Street, Holmes Run Parkway, North Van Dorn Street, Kenmore Avenue and the Pentagon along the I-395 HOT Lanes.Morning trips will operate northbound starting on Stevenson Avenue & North Van Dorn Street opposite the Van Dorn Plaza and afternoon trips will operate southbound ending on Stevenson Avenue at the Van Dorn Plaza. 
  • 22F will be extended to Skyline City and will partially replace routes 28F and 28G. Morning trips will start on South George Mason Drive at #3713 (Skyline House Apartments) and serve Skyline Plaza Apartments, Leesburg Pike, Carlin Springs Road, Seminary Road and Fillmore Avenue before continuing the existing Route 22F routing. Afternoon trips will operate between the Pentagon and Fillmore Avenue on the existing Route 22F routing and continue to Skyline City along Seminary Road, Carlin Springs Road, Leesburg Pike, Skyline Plaza Apartments and end on South George Mason Drive opposite #3713 (Skyline House Apartments).

Fairfax Connector changes on former Metrobus routes:

• Route 3A to Route 803 which will restore to its pre-pandemic schedule
  • Route 3T to Route 703; Service to East Falls Church is discontinued
  • Route 15K to Route 715; Service to Rosslyn is discontinued
  • Route 29C to Route 834 
  • Route 29W to Route 835; Express fares will be charged on this route

However, some routes will be split into new routes:

• Routes 60 and 64 will be split into two separate lines with Route 64 renamed the Fort Totten-Federal Triangle Line and Route 60 remaining the Fort-Totten Petworth Line.
  • Route A2 will be separated from routes A6, A7 and A8 and renamed the Anacostia-Washington Highlands Line. Routes A6, A7 and A8 will be renamed the Anacostia-Livingston Line.
  • Route W5 will be separated from Route A4 and renamed the Anacostia-Blue Plains Line. Route A4 will remain the same.
  • Route G12 will be remain the Greenbelt-New Carrollton Line. Route G14 will be renamed the Greenbelt Rd-Good Luck Road Line

• Like 1

Fairfax Connector hasn’t taken this many routes since 2009.  I have a feeling Cinder Bed and West Ox might have a lot of routes in the next few years while FMR is being renovated.   Also, I swore I saw 5530 by the Anacostia Station last night.  I have noticed that 3333 and a few other new XN40’s don’t have working trackers either.  

• Like 1
On 5/8/2021 at 12:43 PM, Rob S said:

Fairfax Connector hasn’t taken this many routes since 2009.  I have a feeling Cinder Bed and West Ox might have a lot of routes in the next few years while FMR is being renovated.   Also, I swore I saw 5530 by the Anacostia Station last night.  I have noticed that 3333 and a few other new XN40’s don’t have working trackers either.  

yeah, it's been a minute since they gotten anything major from WMATA.

6034, 6039 are retired. Sitting at the back at Montgomery but their numbers aren’t scratched off; might possibly just maintenance or reserve now. 3007, 5453, 5435, 5439, 6001 are possibly retired as they haven’t been out for a bit.

as for XD60 entry to service, all Ik is 5500-5525, 5527, 5229, 5530?, 5531, 5536, 5538 are in service. Not sure if any others entered service as a bunch of them don’t got working trackers. Also don’t know a status of 4500 or any 2020 XD40 since it also don’t got a working tracker.

10 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

6034, 6039 are retired. Sitting at the back at Montgomery but their numbers aren’t scratched off; might possibly just maintenance or reserve now. 3007, 5453, 5435, 5439, 6001 are possibly retired as they haven’t been out for a bit.

as for XD60 entry to service, all Ik is 5500-5525, 5527, 5229, 5530?, 5531, 5536, 5538 are in service. Not sure if any others entered service as a bunch of them don’t got working trackers. Also don’t know a status of 4500 or any 2020 XD40 since it also don’t got a working tracker.

What is #5453? The last DE62LFA should be #5452.

3 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I think I meant to put 5434 mb 😅

Dang, so I guess the XD40s are going to be slow coming in this year? I figured more would have been deployed by now. PRTC's and DASH's latest buses haven't entered service yet either...

I’m wondering if Sheppard Parkway is going to help with some VA routes next month.  Saw a blue Metroextra 6400 (couldn’t catch the number) bus going down Edsall Road this morning along the new 21 route.  

37 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I’m wondering if Sheppard Parkway is going to help with some VA routes next month.  Saw a blue Metroextra 6400 (couldn’t catch the number) bus going down Edsall Road this morning along the new 21 route.  

probably test running the new route before entering service

6030 is retired via a Montgomery operator. Last operated on  May 4, 2021 

11 hours ago, Rob S said:

I could kinda see it happening until 2022 when West Ox and Cinder Bed return to WMATA.

11 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

probably test running the new route before entering service

6030 is retired via a Montgomery operator. Last operated on  May 4, 2021 

So we are down to.. what 35 units?

I could kinda see it happening until 2022 when West Ox and Cinder Bed return to WMATA.

So we are down to.. what 35 units?

We’re down to like 25 DE40LFs. No status update on 6002-6003, 6009, and 6014. 6010, 6012 (i think), and 6013 are at Montgomery as a reserve fleet. 6004, 6011, 6031, 6035 are confirmed retired. 6030, 6034, and 6039 are also retired but they are still at Montgomery still in operating condition.