Jump to content

WMATA Washington


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Tics can only be housed at Northern, Shepherd Parkway, Montgomery, Bladensburg, and Andrews. I believe Cinder Bed too but I'm not sure.

Weren't 5401 and 5402 assigned to Four Mile Run for a brief time? It was meant to keep up with higher-than-expected ridership on the 5A.

I suppose they could have run the 5A from Bladensburg... yet I recall those two buses being loaned to Four Mile Run specifically for this purpose.

For whatever reason, WMATA seems set on keeping the artic fleet at 65-75 units. I've heard the excuse of "storage space", but I suspect the real explanation is "unwillingness". There are -many- routes that could make effective use of artics... but they're lucky to see irregular artic trips if any at all.

My personal thought: rebuild Northern as an all-artic garage and dedicate the whole facility to 16th St, 14th St, Georgia Ave routes. Keep artics at Montgomery for greater use on C2-C4, Q2, Y8. Keep artics at Bladensburg for continued use on X2.

Speaking of 5402... here she is on much more familiar turf:

WMA5402X.thumb.jpg.de428665d6fbfb18a2d4e885784a6dac.jpg

And speaking of the X2... here's a rare occurrence of a C40LF (2416) finishing the route at the long-time Lafayette Square terminal stand... which, as of two days ago, is officially discontinued:

WMA2416X.thumb.JPG.9715d56fbc6a4ebe061a0ab563c85850.JPG

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Weren't 5401 and 5402 assigned to Four Mile Run for a brief time? It was meant to keep up with higher-than-expected ridership on the 5A.

I suppose they could have run the 5A from Bladensburg... yet I recall those two buses being loaned to Four Mile Run specifically for this purpose.

For whatever reason, WMATA seems set on keeping the artic fleet at 65-75 units. I've heard the excuse of "storage space", but I suspect the real explanation is "unwillingness". There are -many- routes that could make effective use of artics... but they're lucky to see irregular artic trips if any at all.

My personal thought: rebuild Northern as an all-artic garage and dedicate the whole facility to 16th St, 14th St, Georgia Ave routes. Keep artics at Montgomery for greater use on C2-C4, Q2, Y8. Keep artics at Bladensburg for continued use on X2.

Speaking of 5402... here she is on much more familiar turf:

WMA5402X.thumb.jpg.de428665d6fbfb18a2d4e885784a6dac.jpg

And speaking of the X2... here's a rare occurrence of a C40LF (2416) finishing the route at the long-time Lafayette Square terminal stand... which, as of two days ago, is officially discontinued:

WMA2416X.thumb.JPG.9715d56fbc6a4ebe061a0ab563c85850.JPG

 

I heard about 5401 and 5402 being at FMR once but I did remember FMR can't hold tics? I'm not sure on that tbh since its been a long time ago. Northern and Blade rehab project is supposed to house more tics for WMATA as far as Ik. Once they open we can have way more tics than what we got rn.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5401 and 5402 were at FMR for the 5A during the Thanksgiving rush.  I know FMR could use them now on the 16A, C and 28A,  those buses mainly run full now.  I think FMR is suppose to be overhauled in a few years.   Cinder Bed can hold Artics.  One of them was tested in the bays.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob S said:

5401 and 5402 were at FMR for the 5A during the Thanksgiving rush.  I know FMR could use them now on the 16A, C and 28A,  those buses mainly run full now.  I think FMR is suppose to be overhauled in a few years.   Cinder Bed can hold Artics.  One of them was tested in the bays.  

Yeah maybe in the future we can see tics in VA again. The 11Y only had them because of the platform reconstruction but it could make a comeback if tics will be added at Cinder Bed in the future

Link to post
Share on other sites

WMATA has officially awarded the 8000 series contract to Hitachi Rail. These cars will officially replace the 2000 and 3000 series (although the 2000 series are now mainly sideliend) and will improve on the popular and reliable 7000 series.

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/Metro-announces-contract-award-to-Hitachi-Rail-for-8000-series-railcars.cfm

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

WMATA has officially awarded the 8000 series contract to Hitachi Rail. These cars will officially replace the 2000 and 3000 series (although the 2000 series are now mainly sideliend) and will improve on the popular and reliable 7000 series.

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/Metro-announces-contract-award-to-Hitachi-Rail-for-8000-series-railcars.cfm

Nice to see they are ordering a base of 256 cars with an option for an additional 800 if needed. Building on what works and replacing the old rolling stock of subway trains. Modernizing the fleet to something more reliable. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2021 at 4:22 PM, Border City Transit said:

Weren't 5401 and 5402 assigned to Four Mile Run for a brief time? It was meant to keep up with higher-than-expected ridership on the 5A.

I suppose they could have run the 5A from Bladensburg... yet I recall those two buses being loaned to Four Mile Run specifically for this purpose.

For whatever reason, WMATA seems set on keeping the artic fleet at 65-75 units. I've heard the excuse of "storage space", but I suspect the real explanation is "unwillingness". There are -many- routes that could make effective use of artics... but they're lucky to see irregular artic trips if any at all.

My personal thought: rebuild Northern as an all-artic garage and dedicate the whole facility to 16th St, 14th St, Georgia Ave routes. Keep artics at Montgomery for greater use on C2-C4, Q2, Y8. Keep artics at Bladensburg for continued use on X2.

Speaking of 5402... here she is on much more familiar turf:

WMA5402X.thumb.jpg.de428665d6fbfb18a2d4e885784a6dac.jpg

And speaking of the X2... here's a rare occurrence of a C40LF (2416) finishing the route at the long-time Lafayette Square terminal stand... which, as of two days ago, is officially discontinued:

WMA2416X.thumb.JPG.9715d56fbc6a4ebe061a0ab563c85850.JPG

 

Yes, it's true. When they were first being delivered in fall 2008, #5401-5402 were briefly assigned to Four Mile Run depot. However, a few weeks they got transferred to Bladensburg depot. Why they never got more units is beyond me, but I thought the #2700's looked better on the 5A at the time anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Nice to see they are ordering a base of 256 cars with an option for an additional 800 if needed. Building on what works and replacing the old rolling stock of subway trains. Modernizing the fleet to something more reliable. 

Anybody think they'll take the entire thing? Even if they decide to retire the 6000s, that would only require about 450 or so new railcars. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Anybody think they'll take the entire thing? Even if they decide to retire the 6000s, that would only require about 450 or so new railcars. 

I think it is more about maintaining a volume discount since procuring new subway trains take years from the development phase until they actually start carrying passengers. If the option exists for additional cars with the base order, they can manufacture the product in a timely manner without having to put in a separate order with x specifications requested by WMATA.

Especially when funding is also a concern since new subway trains aren't cheap either. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2021 at 10:52 PM, Chris.A said:

FFC 2009-2010 D40LFR #9617 is probably going to get retired from that fire damage.

No, all were scrapped.

The only thing missing are the remaining 2009 New Flyer DE37LFA hybrids (#3766-3770) from West Ox depot as well. Have those made the move yet to Sheppard's Parkway (or any other depot for that matter yet)? Also, I drove by Four Mile Run depot this evening and it would appear that all (or most, couldn't tell for sure) of the Orion VII OG CNGs have been removed and sent to CET for scrapping. In their place however are several 2006 New Flyer D40LFRs, #6140 being among them.

@DCTransitFilmsIIRC, 1 retired 1983 MAN SG310 was featured in National Treasure (2004). The fleet number for this bus was missing and it was painted in the 2nd Generation scheme during its post retirement. 

i549195.jpg (Photo credit goes to Walt Disney Pictures. Used with Permission).

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2021 at 6:39 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

the end is near for the 2005-06 buses (DE40LF/DE40LFR/D40LFR) i assume

Well, it's a good thing I caught an 2005 DE40LF (#6018) on the Y8 over the Weekend. I'm surprised that Metro even run those on weekends anymore. I do however need to catch a DE40LFR as I have never been on those. Anyone know what's the best line to find them on?

On 3/20/2021 at 4:34 PM, vvozz said:

4500's appear to be coming soon 

 

Those will likely be sitting at CET for months. They might not even enter service until August or September. lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Well, it's a good thing I caught an 2005 DE40LF (#6018) on the Y8 over the Weekend. I'm surprised that Metro even run those on weekends anymore. I do however need to catch a DE40LFR as I have never been on those. Anyone know what's the best line to find them on?

Those will likely be sitting at CET for months. They might not even enter service until August or September. lol.

You can use Transsee to find the DE40LFs and DE40LFRs https://www.transsee.ca/routelist?a=wmata. They run on all Landover or Montgomery lines but the DE40LFRs are harder to catch for Montgomery routes. DE40LFs are run on weekends by Montgomery but not for Landover as Landover perfers to take out the Xcelsiors on weekends. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

You can use Transsee to find the DE40LFs and DE40LFRs https://www.transsee.ca/routelist?a=wmata. They run on all Landover or Montgomery lines but the DE40LFRs are harder to catch for Montgomery routes. DE40LFs are run on weekends by Montgomery but not for Landover as Landover perfers to take out the Xcelsiors on weekends

Over all, these days most depots prefer to use Xcelsiors and/or LFAs as that's all that's usually out on the weekends (and a few Nabi BRTs and Orion VII 3Gs in the mix too).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2021 at 2:47 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Tics can only be housed at Northern, Shepherd Parkway, Montgomery, Bladensburg, and Andrews. I believe Cinder Bed too but I'm not sure.  The Orion VII CNGs are still out as 3007 was out yesterday

Forgot to mention this but, I spotted an XN40 deadheading near Cinder Bed depot a few nights ago. Not sure where he was going, but it was interesting to see a Metrobus in a strictly Fairfax Connector service area.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2021 at 2:23 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

I think it is more about maintaining a volume discount since procuring new subway trains take years from the development phase until they actually start carrying passengers. If the option exists for additional cars with the base order, they can manufacture the product in a timely manner without having to put in a separate order with x specifications requested by WMATA.

Especially when funding is also a concern since new subway trains aren't cheap either. 

Ah yes, that makes sense. Should WMATA choose to retire the 6000s early, they should covert them to worktrains.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DCTransitFilms said:

For 2021 XD40s, we have up to 4530 delivered it looks like. I think most are sitting at Andrews or CET rn. No VINs or license plates yet.

I doubt they are in a hurry to get them into service considering how they handled the last few orders (even before covid).

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chris.A said:

I doubt they are in a hurry to get them into service considering how they handled the last few orders (even before covid).

they'd definitely take a while. maybe summer 2020 they'll enter service.

I'm told 5431, 5441, 5444, 5448, 5449, and 6035 are retired from Montgomery :0

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

they'd definitely take a while. maybe summer 2020 they'll enter service.

I'm told 5431, 5441, 5444, 5448, 5449, and 6035 are retired from Montgomery :0

Why on earth are they retiring the DE62LFA hybrid artics so soon?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Why on earth are they retiring the DE62LFA hybrid artics so soon?

Standard age for tics are 12 years. But the thing is they were just rehabbed in 2018-2019. The D40LFRs, DE40LFRs, and DE40LFs are 15-16 years old they’re gonna retire soon because MTA already retired their DE40LFRs and there’s limited parts now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Standard age for tics are 12 years. But the thing is they were just rehabbed in 2018-2019. The D40LFRs, DE40LFRs, and DE40LFs are 15-16 years old they’re gonna retire soon because MTA already retired their DE40LFRs and there’s limited parts now. 

Yeah, I was gonna say that they were jus rehabbed 2-3 years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...