WMATA Washington

11 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

The 14A and 14B operated between Bethesda station and Tysons Westpark with the 14B serving Medical Center, 14C and 14D went Tysons to Lakeforrest via Montgomery Mall and Rock Springs Park with the 14C operating to Route 124 Park & Ride. They had branded Orion Vs in the 4400s (at least 4401-4406) in suburban configuration for these routes that operated out of Montgomery. A pic of 4403 on Oren's Transit Page (https://orenstransitpage.com/transit-photography/united-states/washington-dc/wmata/wmata-metrobus-1997-orion-v-buses/) shows the branding of the bus if you scroll down a few. This is an archived schedule of the 14 lines as of their final 2003 schedule:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030812045833/http://www.wmata.com/timetables/va/14.pdf

I can see why those routes were eliminated long ago. Back then, a link between NOVA and MoCo wasn't profitable since there was very low demand since development around the area hasn't started yet. It can also explain why the old B11 (Bethesda Reverse Commute Line) was also eliminated at the same time as the 14 lines except that route mainly overlapped multiple lines. In recent years, development has been going on between the two places which is why this study is coming back up especially with the American Legion Bridge project and adding tolls to the I-495. I could see the 14A and 14B be revived only tbh I won't see the 14C or 14D coming back. But again, it all depends how current situations are and what it will be like in a few years. I could see a route go from MoCo to Ballston/Pentagon but at the same time it feels unlikely and I believe Tysons to Bethesda would work.

Maybe they will bring this service back as another line. WMATA seems to rarely reinstate previously discontinued bus routes to the same area. Could come back as a 27A or something like that.

3 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Maybe they will bring this service back as another line. WMATA seems to rarely reinstate previously discontinued bus routes to the same area. Could come back as a 27A or something like that.

Its still too early to know and its still on the studying page. Give it  a couple of years once the pandemic is over and ridership is high again and when the Legion Bridge is fixed. 

2811 was on the D4 today. Guessing the blue C40LFRs are just sidelined now retired.

Also, in light of pending movements this weekend, I'm hearing that Andrews will be taking the 96, V2/V4, and X9 (some trips). No I'm not sure what others movements are happening or other shifts that will be happening and these are only rumors I'm being told. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

2811 was on the D4 today. Guessing the blue C40LFRs are just sidelined now retired.

Also, in light of pending movements this weekend, I'm hearing that Andrews will be taking the 96, V2/V4, and X9 (some trips). No I'm not sure what others movements are happening or other shifts that will be happening and these are only rumors I'm being told. 

I'm more curious as to what will happen on the VA side. They say that West Ox operations will be moved to FMR and Cinder Bed, but I don't know if Four Mile Run has anymore room for additional routes. Sure, many of their assigned routes are still cancelled (i.e., 4A, 11Y, 16Y,etc,) but still. Maybe they should move a few VA routes to D.C./Maryland depots. Maybe have Western take the 38B and maybe the 4B as well. Sheppard's Parkway could handle some 10A/10B trips and the 29G. As for bus fleets themselves, as I mentioned a few months ago, Sheppard's Parkway can take all of West Ox's remaining DE42LFAs as well as their DE37LFAs. The XDE40s (or atleast #7180-7202) can go to Andrew's and #7087-7095 can go to Montgomery. Sheppard's Parkway can then send #6378-6423 to Cinder Bed for their express lines.

2 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

I'm more curious as to what will happen on the VA side. They say that West Ox operations will be moved to FMR and Cinder Bed, but I don't know if Four Mile Run has anymore room for additional routes. Sure, many of their assigned routes are still cancelled (i.e., 4A, 11Y, 16Y,etc,) but still. Maybe they should move a few VA routes to D.C./Maryland depots. Maybe have Western take the 38B and maybe the 4B as well. Sheppard's Parkway could handle some 10A/10B trips and the 29G. As for bus fleets themselves, as I mentioned a few months ago, Sheppard's Parkway can take all of West Ox's remaining DE42LFAs as well as their DE37LFAs. The XDE40s (or atleast #7180-7202) can go to Andrew's and #7087-7095 can go to Montgomery. Sheppard's Parkway can then send #6378-6423 to Cinder Bed for their express lines.

17 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

I'm more curious as to what will happen on the VA side. They say that West Ox operations will be moved to FMR and Cinder Bed, but I don't know if Four Mile Run has anymore room for additional routes. Sure, many of their assigned routes are still cancelled (i.e., 4A, 11Y, 16Y,etc,) but still. Maybe they should move a few VA routes to D.C./Maryland depots. Maybe have Western take the 38B and maybe the 4B as well. Sheppard's Parkway could handle some 10A/10B trips and the 29G. As for bus fleets themselves, as I mentioned a few months ago, Sheppard's Parkway can take all of West Ox's remaining DE42LFAs as well as their DE37LFAs. The XDE40s (or atleast #7180-7202) can go to Andrew's and #7087-7095 can go to Montgomery. Sheppard's Parkway can then send #6378-6423 to Cinder Bed for their express lines.

I don't think Cinder Bed will get anything yet until WMATA gets back Cinder Bed next year. I can see Andrews get West Ox XDE40s minus 7087-7095, and Shep will get the LFAs. I assume Shep might help out some VA routes again until Cinder Bed is back with WMATA. But again, I'm not sure where everything will go as of yet.

1 minute ago, Chris.A said:

I'm more curious as to what will happen on the VA side. They say that West Ox operations will be moved to FMR and Cinder Bed, but I don't know if Four Mile Run has anymore room for additional routes. Sure, many of their assigned routes are still cancelled (i.e., 4A, 11Y, 16Y,etc,) but still. Maybe they should move a few VA routes to D.C./Maryland depots. Maybe have Western take the 38B and maybe the 4B as well. Sheppard's Parkway could handle some 10A/10B trips and the 29G. As for bus fleets themselves, as I mentioned a few months ago, Sheppard's Parkway can take all of West Ox's remaining DE42LFAs as well as their DE37LFAs. The XDE40s (or atleast #7180-7202) can go to Andrew's and #7087-7095 can go to Montgomery. 

9 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I don't think Cinder Bed will get anything yet until WMATA gets back Cinder Bed next year. I can see Andrews get West Ox XDE40s minus 7087-7095, and Shep will get the LFAs. I assume Shep might help out some VA routes again until Cinder Bed is back with WMATA. But again, I'm not sure where everything will go as of yet.

That could be true, they still have that contract with Transdev. I do wonder why they gave FFC their Orion VII 3G hybrids though. The 350 and 351 could easily be handled with Connector's own Orion VII NG diesels or XD35s. I also wonder where #3059-3062 are?

Lastly, any word about the status on the 6000 series cars? They been gone since last fall.

Also, DASH is now receiving their Proterra BE40s, but they should really consider renumbering them since more XE40s are confirmed to be on the way. 800s for the New Flyer electrics and 900s for the Proterras.

Just now, Chris.A said:

That could be true, they still have that contract with Transdev. I do wonder why they gave FFC their Orion VII 3G hybrids though. The 350 and 351 could easily be handled with Connector's own Orion VII NG diesels or XD35s. I also wonder where #3059-3062 are?

Lastly, any word about the status on the 6000 series cars? They been gone since last fall.

Haven't heard nothing about the 6000 Series but guessing they got a serious coupling problem if they been out of service this long. I think some are at Falls Church Garage rn.

Idk why 3082-3087 were sold to FFC since Ik 7801 and 7802 appeared on the 350 before. 3059-3062 most likely went back to Shep but their trackers aren't working rn.

3 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Haven't heard nothing about the 6000 Series but guessing they got a serious coupling problem if they been out of service this long. I think some are at Falls Church Garage rn.

Idk why 3082-3087 were sold to FFC since Ik 7801 and 7802 appeared on the 350 before. 3059-3062 most likely went back to Shep but their trackers aren't working rn.

Yeah, I mean, I guess it's not that big of a deal seeing that WMATA is leaving the 30/35 foot bus game anyway. I can see more 3Gs going to them from WMATA. Since WMATA has just about retired the 3001-3035 OG CNGs, the 3Gs and the 37LFAs are their last small buses left, not having brought anything new in that class since 2012.

Just now, Chris.A said:

Yeah, I mean, I guess it's not that big of a deal seeing that WMATA is leaving the 30/35 foot bus game anyway. I can see more 3Gs going to them from WMATA.

I think the rest of the 3Gs are staying with WMATA. I mean they have the D2, G2, W1, W2, W3, W6, W8 to operate with 30 ft buses rn. Only way for WMATA to get rid of them is to do its doomsday cuts and selling the 3Gs to FFC.

5 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I think the rest of the 3Gs are staying with WMATA. I mean they have the D2, G2, W1, W2, W3, W6, W8 to operate with 30 ft buses rn. Only way for WMATA to get rid of them is to do its doomsday cuts and selling the 3Gs to FFC.

Which is still possible at this point as nothing is set in stone. BTW, where is Metro in terms of rehabs? Are the doing the BAE XDE40s now?

11 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Which is still possible at this point as nothing is set in stone. BTW, where is Metro in terms of rehabs? Are the doing the BAE XDE40s now?

They skipped 7101-7152 for now so they're doing 7168-7272 right now. Guessing they'll comeback to the BAE XDE40s after

9 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

They skipped 7101-7152 for now so they're doing 7168-7272 right now. Guessing they'll comeback to the BAE XDE40s after

Unless they are planning to repower/ give them an early retirement. I wonder if there are any 2000 Orion Vs left on property?  

Just now, Chris.A said:

Unless they are planning to repower/ give them an early retirement. I wonder if there are any 2000 Orion Vs left on property?  

Nah the BAE XDE40s aren't getting an early retirement lol. Possibly repowered but definitely not early retirement. A couple 2000 Orion Vs are still lying around right now waiting to be scrapped.

4 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Nah the BAE XDE40s aren't getting an early retirement lol. Possibly repowered but definitely not early retirement. A couple 2000 Orion Vs are still lying around right now waiting to be scrapped.

Such a shame that none of those will be preserved. Liked those last ones in particular. Are the ones that were sidelined at Montgomery depot gone too? Cause believe it or not, Four Mile Run still have several 2006 Orion VII OG CNGs left oos.

13 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Such a shame that none of those will be preserved. Liked those last ones in particular. Are the ones that were sidelined at Montgomery depot gone too? Cause believe it or not, Four Mile Run still have several 2006 Orion VII OG CNGs left oos.

Not sure tho. Gotta make a trip there just to see if theres still any or not

24 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Not sure tho. Gotta make a trip there just to see if theres still any or not

Is there any bus routes that go near that depot? I might take a trip there too on my free time. That's the only depot (along with Andrew's) that I've yet to drive by.

41 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Is there any bus routes that go near that depot? I might take a trip there too on my free time. That's the only depot (along with Andrew's) that I've yet to drive by.

the C8 goes by or you can just get off by White Flint station and go up to the parking garage

1 hour ago, DCTransitFilms said:

the C8 goes by or you can just get off by White Flint station and go up to the parking garage

Walk down the hill of Marinelli Road and you might get some good shots as well. I used to work in that area in what now is the St. Coletta building across the street from Montgomery Depot and it's doable.

Also in that area, watch out for interesting litter such as run paddles!

• Haha 1

The senate has approved a American Rescue Plan that includes $30.5 billion for transit agencies from the Biden $1.9 trillion covid plan. Hopefully this will starve off the doomsday cuts for the time being and hoping that will never actually happen.

https://www.metro-magazine.com/10138210/senate-approves-american-rescue-plan-30-5b-in-transit-relief?fbclid=IwAR2lNNHd0vg5DvVcMhDtVCz6EyXzulO05ZFYcS-amvWGRykn-2HVpmvCO8Y

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Andrews has taken up 7180, 7181 and 7182. It looks like Andrews will be getting 7180-7202 from West Ox since those are in the process of rehabbing rn

I haven't seen an XDE40 out in a will out here in VA. From West Ox, it's been mostly DE42LFA hybrids. You think any more buses will be retired from this fleet shuffling? If so, probably those 2005 DE40LF hybrids.

2 hours ago, Chris.A said:

I haven't seen an XDE40 out in a will out here in VA. From West Ox, it's been mostly DE42LFA hybrids. You think any more buses will be retired from this fleet shuffling? If so, probably those 2005 DE40LF hybrids.

Most likely since the XDE40s are being rehabbed rn (7180-7202)