WMATA Washington

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow! We are all entitled to our own opinion -- but I am surprised to hear this. I love, love, love the rear window. I worked for a transit system that was buying New Flyers and I lobbied suc

Wednesday, December 27, 2017. 15:53 pm - 16:45 pm. Federal Triangle, Washington DC - Silver Spring Station, Maryland. The first time, I went to ride the bus and passengers, it was so pretty,

In DASH news, we got pictures of the NEW Proterras which are numbered 804-806 I think. These will be replacing all remaining high floor buses alongside the XE40s I believe. Picture taken by Brian Robe

Posted Images

On 1/15/2021 at 3:06 PM, Chris.A said:

I hope WMATA do away with those rear windows though. Too many buses have back windows.

Wow!

We are all entitled to our own opinion -- but I am surprised to hear this.

I love, love, love the rear window. I worked for a transit system that was buying New Flyers and I lobbied successfully for rear windows. The feature has proven very popular among customers and operators.

From the interior, the rear window makes the entire ride brighter and happier from the moment you step on. Natural light promotes a sense of safety and calm. While riding, it makes it feel like you're part of the city -- rather than just stuck on the bus. Minus the rear window, the interior can feel kind of dreary and sad.

From the exterior, the rear window reminds the world that transit carries actual people. If you're a motorist driving behind a bus with no rear window, it looks like a truck. Get that thing out of my way.

A rear window, on the other hand, causes you to peer inside. You see that real people are using that bus to go to real places! It makes transit much more relatable and approachable.

I am genuinely curious -- what don't you like about the rear window?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 1/5/2021 at 8:10 AM, Chris.A said:

Actually no, it seems that WMATA had either loaned their 2012 Orion VII 3G hybrids #3082-3087 to Fairfax Connector or they were sold to them (possibly the latter, since they no longer have D.C. plates, but VA ones now instead). If so, these would be Fairfax's first hybrid buses! The WMATA Decals were also removed, but the TAGS scheme is still on the buses.

On 1/5/2021 at 10:32 AM, Chris.A said:

I saw two of them myself yesterday on my way to work and it would appear to be the case. Wouldn't be the first time WMATA sold buses to another area bus system. Remember the 1999 baby Orion Vs (#3900-3950)?

Are 3082-3087 with FFC now? I haven't been down to Franconia in a while so Idk tbh

I’m hearing that WMATA will be leaving West Ox division soon. There been talks of WMATA moving out of West Ox as of lately since they’re not that busy especially since the 3A is out of FMR rn and the 1B, 3T, 15K, 16L, 26A are suspended. Routes 1A, 1C, 2A, 2B, and 38B are currently the only routes operating out of West Ox rn. I guess the time has come with West Ox. The division was to be closed anyways if WMATA did not get any federal funding for its doomsday cuts. 

6 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I’m hearing that WMATA will be leaving West Ox division soon. There been talks of WMATA moving out of West Ox as of lately since they’re not that busy especially since the 3A is out of FMR rn and the 1B, 3T, 15K, 16L, 26A are suspended. Routes 1A, 1C, 2A, 2B, and 38B are currently the only routes operating out of West Ox rn. I guess the time has come with West Ox. The division was to be closed anyways if WMATA did not get any federal funding for its doomsday cuts. 

yup as of 3/14/21 WMATA will be leaving West Ox 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, vvozz said:

yup as of 3/14/21 WMATA will be leavig West Ox 

fr?

My guess, they can give all XDE40s to Andrews and DE40LFAs/DE35LFAs to Shepherd Parkway. As for route operations, 1, 2, and 38B will go to FMR for sure, but FMR will be overwhelmed especially when suspended routes comeback. So it'd get interesting

2 minutes ago, Rob S said:

The 8’s, some of the 10’s, 11Y, 13’s, not sure about the 17 or 18 routes, 28’s and the 29’s.   The old N11 and N13 use to be out of Royal too.  

i think the 10B for sure. not sure about the 10A or 10E

3 hours ago, vvozz said:

yup as of 3/14/21 WMATA will be leaving West Ox 

Is this real?!? If so, than that is a really hard pill to swallow! West Ox is still a fairly new depot, having opened only 11.5 years ago. Are they closing it down completely, or just for the Metrobus side? Will this be permanent? And will Fairfax Connector (if not a full shutdown) have full domain of the garage?

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

I can’t remember if they helped with the old 9A when it went down to the Lorton VRE.  

What fleets do you remember seeing at the time? That will be a clue.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:09 AM, Border City Transit said:

Wow!

We are all entitled to our own opinion -- but I am surprised to hear this.

I love, love, love the rear window. I worked for a transit system that was buying New Flyers and I lobbied successfully for rear windows. The feature has proven very popular among customers and operators.

From the interior, the rear window makes the entire ride brighter and happier from the moment you step on. Natural light promotes a sense of safety and calm. While riding, it makes it feel like you're part of the city -- rather than just stuck on the bus. Minus the rear window, the interior can feel kind of dreary and sad.

From the exterior, the rear window reminds the world that transit carries actual people. If you're a motorist driving behind a bus with no rear window, it looks like a truck. Get that thing out of my way.

A rear window, on the other hand, causes you to peer inside. You see that real people are using that bus to go to real places! It makes transit much more relatable and approachable.

I am genuinely curious -- what don't you like about the rear window?

Idk, I just don't care for them. To me, it seems like a relic of yesteryear.

1 hour ago, DCTransitFilms said:

i think the 10B for sure. not sure about the 10A or 10E

I remember that towards the end of their existence, (2012-2014) Royal street also used to work the 25B as well. I used to see a bunch of 2000 Orion Vs on there during the weekdays and FMR taken it over on the late nights/weekends with their 2005-7 Orion VII OG CNGs.

4 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Is this real?!? If so, than that is a really hard pill to swallow! West Ox is still a fairly new depot, having opened only 11.5 years ago. Are they closing it down completely, or just for the Metrobus side? Will this be permanent? And will Fairfax Connector (if not a full shutdown) have full domain of the garage?

Fairfax Connector will stay there. Thats handling most of the West county

TBH, that would be a huge waste of money if they really go through with it. I know they only have 5 route currently, but the 26A is supposed to be coming back. Why don't they (West Ox) take the 29K from Cinder Bed since it is closer to them anyway?

1 minute ago, DCTransitFilms said:

looks like. guessing FFC will take over West Ox completely

Plus, IIRC, WMATA has a 75 year lease of the depot with the county right? Are they just going to void that?

1 minute ago, Chris.A said:

TBH, that would be a huge waste of money if they really go through with it. I know they only have 5 route currently, but the 26A is supposed to be coming back. Why don't they (West Ox) take the 29K from Cinder Bed since it is closer to them anyway?

Plus, IIRC, WMATA has a 75 year lease of the depot with the county right? Are they just going to void that?

Perhaps FFC will close down their Reston/Herndon depot too?

14 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Perhaps FFC will close down their Reston/Herndon depot too?

not honestly sure about the lease nor why they're truly leaving. also i don't think FFC would close Reston/Herndon tbh

Royal had Flxible’s, and 1997, some 1999 and 2000 Orion’s.  Metro does have a 75 year lease at West Ox.  As for Connector’s Reston division, I think they did an  overhaul there lately.  I don’t see it closing since they have a lot of routes around there.  

14 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Royal had Flxible’s, and 1997, some 1999 and 2000 Orion’s.  Metro does have a 75 year lease at West Ox.  As for Connector’s Reston division, I think they did an  overhaul there lately.  I don’t see it closing since they have a lot of routes around there.  

I remember around 2009, Royal and Arlington were getting rid of their Flexible Metro Bs and Es to other inner city depots and/or retirement. That's when West Ox got a ton of 1997 Orion Vs dumped on them along with some 2000 Orion VIs too (and a few 1999 Orion V 30 footers as well for a short time).

But going back on topic, If I had to guess, this move is mostly likely being done from a logistical standpoint. I say that because, West Ox for the most part is the outer most Metrobus garage in the system. The deadheads from urban centers like Ballston and Tyson's must be a total pain and when it is time to transfer buses to another depot, Metro don't really show West Ox alot of love, presumably because of their distance away from downtown. Naturally, the only other depots they can swap with at a moments notice is Cinder Bed (which has it's own issues, being operated by Transdev and whatnot) and Sheppard's Parkway. Four Mile Run is all CNG, so that's no good.

4 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

fr?

My guess, they can give all XDE40s to Andrews and DE40LFAs/DE35LFAs to Shepherd Parkway. As for route operations, 1, 2, and 38B will go to FMR for sure, but FMR will be overwhelmed especially when suspended routes comeback. So it'd get interesting

Well, #7087-7095 will probably go back to Bladensburg. #7180-7202 will likely be for Andrew's, and the LFA hybrids will most likely all head to Sheppard's Parkway. Maybe they'll kick out their remaining Nabi BRT 42 hybrids and send them somewhere else, because they will have all 20 DE37LFAs and all of #6539-6609, plus some #6300's and #6400's. I don't believe CInder Bed will get any buses from West Ox, but they could possibly get all of Sheppard's Parkway's Express (Blue) DE42LFAs to aid them with rushhour express service. In any case, this will easliy lead to huge bus moves, the largest in possibly a decade (or at least since the Orion VI buses had to retire in 2012).

8 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Well, #7087-7095 will probably go back to Bladensburg. #7180-7202 will likely be for Andrew's, and the LFA hybrids will most likely all head to Sheppard's Parkway. Maybe they'll kick out their remaining Nabi BRT 42 hybrids and send them somewhere else, because they will have all 20 DE37LFAs and all of #6539-6609, plus some #6300's and #6400's. I don't believe CInder Bed will get any buses from West Ox, but they could possibly get all of Sheppard's Parkway's Express (Blue) DE42LFAs to aid them with rushhour express service. In any case, this will easliy lead to huge bus moves, the largest in possibly a decade (or at least since the Orion VI buses had to retire in 2012).

not sure where they'd go for right now. Don't think Blade will get XDE40s again because as of late they've been trying to get rid of them which is why 7070-7075 are at Western, 7087-7095 are at West Ox, and 7096-7099 at Andrews. Also I don't think SP will get rid of the blue DE40LFAs since they have trips on the X9 unless they'd send those to Montgomery for MetroExtra service. 

30 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

I remember around 2009, Royal and Arlington were getting rid of their Flexible Metro Bs and Es to other inner city depots and/or retirement. That's when West Ox got a ton of 1997 Orion Vs dumped on them along with some 2000 Orion VIs too (and a few 1999 Orion V 30 footers as well for a short time).

But going back on topic, If I had to guess, this move is mostly likely being done from a logistical standpoint. I say that because, West Ox for the most part is the outer most Metrobus garage in the system. The deadheads from urban centers like Ballston and Tyson's must be a total pain and when it is time to transfer buses to another depot, Metro don't really show West Ox alot of love, presumably because of their distance away from downtown. Naturally, the only other depots they can swap with at a moments notice is Cinder Bed (which has it's own issues, being operated by Transdev and whatnot) and Sheppard's Parkway. Four Mile Run is all CNG, so that's no good.

It really is a logistical standpoint. Problem is the 1C and 2B starting way more far out in Vienna and Dunn Loring and the headway for FMR buses. Ballston is fine since a handful of FMR routes are there rn. 

59 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

not sure where they'd go for right now. Don't think Blade will get XDE40s again because as of late they've been trying to get rid of them which is why 7070-7075 are at Western, 7087-7095 are at West Ox, and 7096-7099 at Andrews. Also I don't think SP will get rid of the blue DE40LFAs since they have trips on the X9 unless they'd send those to Montgomery for MetroExtra service. 

It really is a logistical standpoint. Problem is the 1C and 2B starting way more far out in Vienna and Dunn Loring and the headway for FMR buses. Ballston is fine since a handful of FMR routes are there rn. 

Oh ok. Welp, I guess we'll have nothing but XN40s.