WMATA Washington

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WMATA 7048: 2011 New Flyer XDE40 (Rehabbed with the frameless tip in windows removed) was operating on route T14 from last week taken by Minh Troung of Flickr. The Uber Eats rare AD has 2 movie charac

Wow! We are all entitled to our own opinion -- but I am surprised to hear this. I love, love, love the rear window. I worked for a transit system that was buying New Flyers and I lobbied suc

4500's appear to be coming soon   

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Chris H said:

Where are the best spots or Metro stations to fan for the WMATA D40LFs, C40LFRs and D40LFRs? I will be in DC next month and want to get some pics of those.

As for the Orion VII, it looks like when I am in town those will not be found.

For DE40LFs, they're mainly in Montgomery County and Northern and parts of Central Prince Georges County Maryland. You can also find some in DC on the 70, 79, S2, and S9. Mainly look in the Silver Spring, Wheaton and PG County area. Its best to find Landover's DE40LFs on the weekdays however but Montgomery County usually uses them daily.

For C40LFRs, they're mainly in Washington DC on Bladensburg routes. Mostly they're found on MetroExtra routes but some regular routes uses them. But its rare to find them operating during the weekends. Virginia Four Mile Run division has 3 of them but they have not been used since March I believe. Best to find them on MetroExtra routes during rush hours (59, 79, S9, X9) or catch them by luck.

For D40LFRs, they're now mainly in Washington DC with a few lingering in Maryland and Virginia. Its best to find them during the weekdays as during the weekends it gets a little harder to find them. Best to find them are Shepherd Parkway, Southern Avenue, Bladensburg, and Western routes during the weekdays. A few are at Landover which are usually used and Four Mile Run semi-used.

30 ft Orion VIIs CNGs are mainly on the 74, H6, U4, and some other routes like the R4, U7, D4, G2 (during pre pandemic). As for the 40 ft Orion VIIs, they're only in Virginia really and you have to be lucky to get them. MetroExtra Orion VIIs have been sidelined since the pandemic started and the arrival of the 2020 XN40s. 

I suggest you use transsee to track the buses for Washington DC as it'll give you the entire map of each location.

https://www.transsee.ca/routelist?a=wmata

• Like 1

Also due to low funding, WMATA announced proposed service cuts on its website.  Train service every 6 minutes on the Red Line and every 12 minutes on the Blue, Orange, Green, Yellow, and Silver lines. It will reinstate the Red Line turnbacks between Grosvenor and Silver Spring and end all Yellow Line trains at Mount Vernon Square at all times. Rail hours will also be cut to 9 pm between Sunday and Thursday and 11 pm on Friday.

Bus service will remain the same as of right now if this is approved which means routes that aren't operating on certain days or at all will be eliminated. Like the D2/G2, 62/63, 30N/30S, X8, M6 weekend service, T14/V12 Sunday service, R12 and Z6 reduced service, and routes not operating like the 4A, 16Y, 26A, 34, 87, A9, B30, C28, D5, E6, G9, H1, J4, S1, V7, and X1/X3 will all be eliminated.

If these changes are approved, literally everyone will not be happy especially government and essential workers.

A list of proposed cuts: 

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/Proposed-FY21-service-changes.cfm

https://www.wmata.com/about/board/meetings/board-pdfs/upload/3B-Action-Item-FY21-and-FY22-Budgets-v6-2.pdf?fbclid=IwAR13l9OVet2P4uSMZvQH_QaTl1SvXIPbaPG0EBJjUOgugKgPNbUxBtNPqMs

For the 30 foot 2006 Orion VIIs, as ik, 3001-3009, 3011-3013, 3017, 3018, and 3020 are still confirmed active. 15 out of 35 buses are confirmed active.

No information on 3010, 3014, 3015, 3016, 3019, 3021, 3022, 3023, 3024, 3025, 3026, 3027, 3028, 3029, 3030 on their status most likely retired however as someone confirmed 3026 is retired.

3031-3035 have been retired already being used for training.

6 hours ago, Rob S said:

Virginia is loosing half of its routes.  Is West Ox shutting down?  Under the 1C/2B cuts it appears that is what’s happening.  It will be interesting to see what happens with Northern and if the new bus order is cut.  

Most likely not. West Ox still has the 1 and 2 lines and the 38B. They’ll probably take back the 3A and get the 4B during the weekdays. 

4 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

today's summary:

-4476, 4477, 4478, and 4487 entered service out of Andrews Federal Center

-3298, 3302, 3308, and 3309 entered service out of Bladensburg

So is #3310-3349 bound for FMR depot? They have around 35 buses left to be replaced.

On 9/27/2020 at 7:29 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

Most likely not. West Ox still has the 1 and 2 lines and the 38B. They’ll probably take back the 3A and get the 4B during the weekdays. 

Damn, this is crazy. Could West Ox possibly get the 5A as well? I mean, it's not like that line uses suburban seated buses anymore... 

On 9/27/2020 at 7:29 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

I just hope West Ox get a different set of buses. Atleast give them the newer 2016 XDE40s or rehabbed 2011 XDE40s. Perhaps even some 2014-2015 NABI BRT 42 hybrids to shake things up!

On 9/12/2020 at 12:48 AM, Chris H said:

Where are the best spots or Metro stations to fan for the WMATA D40LFs, C40LFRs and D40LFRs? I will be in DC next month and want to get some pics of those.

As for the Orion VII, it looks like when I am in town those will not be found.

You can try looking around Crystal City, near the depot (FMR). I sometimes see those 30 footer Orion VII OG CNGs ( units #3019, #3028, and #3030) doing employee shuttles in that area. Shame they don't do regular service anymore. They'll probably be the last of the remaining Orion VII CNGs to retire.

13 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Damn, this is crazy. Could West Ox possibly get the 5A as well? I mean, it's not like that line uses suburban seated buses anymore... 

I just hope West Ox get a different set of buses. Atleast give them the newer 2016 XDE40s or rehabbed 2011 XDE40s. Perhaps even some 2014-2015 NABI BRT 42 hybrids to shake things up!

You can try looking around Crystal City, near the depot (FMR). I sometimes see those 30 footer Orion VII OG CNGs ( units #3019, #3028, and #3030) doing employee shuttles in that area. Shame they don't do regular service anymore. They'll probably be the last of the remaining Orion VII CNGs to retire.

I think the 5A is fine at FMR for right now. Yeah both Western and West Ox needs newer buses as their fleet is old rn. They’ll probably get some of the 2021 XD40s or future XD40s.

Also apparently PG County TheBus got new Gillig BRTs numbered 63017-63021 i believe and Ride On retired their older Gilligs (2006-07 Gillig Hybrids, 2005 C40LFs, and 2008 29ft Gilligs) being replaced by the electric buses and 2020 29ft Gillig Low Floors 42001-42019.

Also TheBus has a 62616 (Gillig Low Floor) but it isn’t listed anywhere on CPTDB of regular Wiki. It is tracking on Transsee. 

16 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I think the 5A is fine at FMR for right now. Yeah both Western and West Ox needs newer buses as their fleet is old rn. They’ll probably get some of the 2021 XD40s or future XD40s.

Also apparently PG County TheBus got new Gillig BRTs numbered 63017-63021 i believe and Ride On retired their older Gilligs (2006-07 Gillig Hybrids, 2005 C40LFs, and 2008 29ft Gilligs) being replaced by the electric buses and 2020 29ft Gillig Low Floors 42001-42019.

Also TheBus has a 62616 (Gillig Low Floor) but it isn’t listed anywhere on CPTDB of regular Wiki. It is tracking on Transsee. 

So Ride-On retired about what? 40-50 buses just now? I know THE BUS recently got new El Derados buses recently too a few months ago. Is #62616 a new bus too?

Also, seems like DASH bus had deployed some of their Orion Vs back into service recently. #90 was seen parked in Old Town the other day as well as a couple of other units.

Lastly, in Metro is cutting all these routes system wide, then I would expect some kind of fleet reduction. Perhaps around 200-400 buses could be retired without any real replacements. If so, I'd expect buses as young as the 2009 New Flyer LFA hybrids to be phased out too at somepoint.

I’m surprised Southern Ave is still open.  Does anyone know what is going on at the Alexandria rail yard?  Haven’t seen any trains there for a few months now.

Here is the info from the revised FY21 budget showing the bus capacity at the divisions.  Bladensburg is planned to be torn down and replaced with a new garage in its place that can hold 300 buses.

F0FE248D-C227-4271-BF7E-6D1B10806CED.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

I’m surprised Southern Ave is still open.  Does anyone know what is going on at the Alexandria rail yard?  Haven’t seen any trains there for a few months now.

Here is the info from the revised FY21 budget showing the bus capacity at the divisions.  Bladensburg is planned to be torn down and replaced with a new garage in its place that can hold 300 buses.

F0FE248D-C227-4271-BF7E-6D1B10806CED.jpeg

Bladensburg is being planned on being rehabilitated and rebuilt to hold more buses. The rehab center there was moved to Andrews. So far there is a lot is being constructed down along Bladensburg Ave (near New York Avenue) to hold some buses while Blade is being rebuilt. Southern Avenue was supposed to be replaced by Andrews Federal Center but that plan got scrapped when Northern couldn't hold itself anymore and WMATA was forced to close that garage instead. Northern is also going to be rebuilt but idk when they plan on starting it.

4 hours ago, Chris.A said:

So Ride-On retired about what? 40-50 buses just now? I know THE BUS recently got new El Derados buses recently too a few months ago. Is #62616 a new bus too?

Also, seems like DASH bus had deployed some of their Orion Vs back into service recently. #90 was seen parked in Old Town the other day as well as a couple of other units.

Lastly, in Metro is cutting all these routes system wide, then I would expect some kind of fleet reduction. Perhaps around 200-400 buses could be retired without any real replacements. If so, I'd expect buses as young as the 2009 New Flyer LFA hybrids to be phased out too at somepoint.

Ride On retired their 2006-07 Gillig Hybrids, 2005 C40LFs, and 2008 29 ft Gilligs I heard. TheBus got a lot of newer buses to replace their Gillig Phantoms I assume since I haven't seen those buses since the Pandemic started. Idk about 62616 but its  a tracking bus on Transsee.

Also not sure if there will be a fleet reduction or even a lot of cuts at all since customer feedback is going to be so negative.

5 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Here is the link to the budget:

https://www.wmata.com/about/records/public_docs/upload/FY2021-Approved-Budget_Final-2.pdf

It’s long but interesting.  It lists upgrades to the bus camera and AVL systems on all buses.  For some reason it has the new Bladensburg garage in Maryland.  Also, FMR is planned to be renovated. 

Blade relocated to Maryland? Where will it go then?

They said Bladensburg garage is in Maryland but technically its still in the DC region. Don't think it'd be relocated to Maryland.