DCAreaTransitFan

WMATA Washington

7 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Yea most likely FMR is running short on buses. They gotta handle more busier routes and more buses going under maintenance and stuff. Guessing that’s why Southern Ave helps the 10A. But it’s only during the PM Rush that Southern Ave helps the 10A.

Also Southern Ave has XDE40s 7300-7346, D40LFRs 6104-6136, and Orion VII CNGs 3041-3044 only used on the U4 for some odd reason. 

#3041-3044 are EPA10s Orion VII diesels. You would think they would ask Cinder Bed to do 10A and 10B runs. The 10 line's southern terminal is fairly close Cinder Bed depot.

2 hours ago, Chris.A said:

#3041-3044 are EPA10s Orion VII diesels. You would think they would ask Cinder Bed to do 10A and 10B runs. The 10 line's southern terminal is fairly close Cinder Bed depot.

Oh my bad I wasn’t paying attention to the Orion VII parts mb. 

Plus I believe Southern Ave does it since they probably help out the shuttle too (I haven’t been down in VA lately) and those buses would just be used for the 10A then. They probably won’t ask Cinder Bed since the break downs of DE40LFAs.

On 8/24/2019 at 7:31 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

Oh my bad I wasn’t paying attention to the Orion VII parts mb. 

Plus I believe Southern Ave does it since they probably help out the shuttle too (I haven’t been down in VA lately) and those buses would just be used for the 10A then. They probably won’t ask Cinder Bed since the break downs of DE40LFAs.

Welp, Transdev MIGHT be in trouble now, cause the other day, 2 bus drivers got sick on a defective bus that Cinder Bed depot had sent out for service. The news article stated that the bus was #6030 (which we all know can't be, because Cinder Bed don't have any DE40LFs), but it was probably DE42LFA #6330. Bus was sent out in the morning the other day to Pentagon and the driver and passagers reported a bad odor from the bus, a fuel leak. Once it got there, everyone jumped off and the driver passed out. The bus was taken out of service back to the depot where it was NOT repaired and sent back out the road later on in the day. A second bus operator fell ill and had to be given treatment. The drivers at Cinder Bed want to go on strike. Personally, WMATA needs to end this contract now and actually run the depot themselves. Also in other recent news, 2 different ARTransit buses got into crashes. One was a 2014-2015 Nabi 40LFW 3G CNG #5096 and other one was a 2009 Nabi 35LFW 2G CNG, number N/A. Also, Omniride is trying to get funding to expand service into Stafford county, which I think would be a great idea. 

On 8/23/2019 at 9:45 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Yea most likely FMR is running short on buses. They gotta handle more busier routes and more buses going under maintenance and stuff. Guessing that’s why Southern Ave helps the 10A. But it’s only during the PM Rush that Southern Ave helps the 10A.

Also Southern Ave has XDE40s 7300-7346, D40LFRs 6104-6136, and Orion VII Hybrids 3041-3044 only used on the U4 for some odd reason. 

Yeah, seems Southern Ave is helping out on the 10A. Saw a 2006 D40LFR on there yesterday along with 2 2016 XDE40s. The rest of the buses were normal Four Mile Run depot equipment. 

7 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Welp, Transdev MIGHT be in trouble now, cause the other day, 2 bus drivers got sick on a defective bus that Cinder Bed depot had sent out for service. The news article stated that the bus was #6030 (which we all know can't be, because Cinder Bed don't have any DE40LFs), but it was probably DE42LFA #6330. Bus was sent out in the morning the other day to Pentagon and the driver and passengers reported a bad odor from the bus, a fuel leak. Once it got there, everyone jumped off and the driver passed out. The bus was taken out of service back to the depot where it was NOT repaired and sent back out the road later on in the day. A second bus operator fell ill and had to be given treatment. The drivers at Cinder Bed want to go on strike. Personally, WMATA needs to end this contract now and actually run the depot themselves. Also in other recent news, 2 different ARTransit buses got into crashes. One was a 2014-2015 Nabi 40LFW 3G CNG #5096 and other one was a 2009 Nabi 35LFW 2G CNG, number N/A. Also, Omniride is trying to get funding to expand service into Stafford county, which I think would be a great idea.

Yeah Transdev is in big trouble. Plus there's already a strike going on at Cinder Bed over more pay, bathroom breaks, and all other problems. But yeah WMATA should end the contract early since it isn't working out for the buses and operators. Also never heard about the ART crashes until today. And Omniride should get the funding for Stafford County. 

On 8/29/2019 at 4:47 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Yeah Transdev is in big trouble. Plus there's already a strike going on at Cinder Bed over more pay, bathroom breaks, and all other problems. But yeah WMATA should end the contract early since it isn't working out for the buses and operators. Also never heard about the ART crashes until today. And Omniride should get the funding for Stafford County. 

We'll see in the coming days or weeks if anything else happens. In other WMATA news, this is extremely rare these days, but 2006 Orion VII OG CNG #2723 is on the 5A right now ( Saturday August. 31, 2019, 4:39pm) heading to Downtown! Also, #3003 is on the 74 as well.

4 hours ago, Chris.A said:

We'll see in the coming days or weeks if anything else happens. In other WMATA news, this is extremely rare these days, but 2006 Orion VII OG CNG #2723 is on the 5A right now ( Saturday August. 31, 2019, 4:39pm) heading to Downtown! Also, #3003 is on the 74 as well.

Yeah the Orion VII CNGs are less used on the 5A now but they’re sometimes used during rush hours. Also it’s normal to see a Bladensburg bus on the 74 during late nights and Weekends now since the 74 was shifted to Shepherd Parkway during the Weekdays. 

In other news if anybody is interested, WMATA’s annual Bus Roadeo will be held at Andrews Federal Center Division this year on Sep 21, 2019. You’ll need to board a shuttle bus at Suitland in order to get there. 

A1FA953F-8AED-4AC5-BE00-6874D6108B99.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Update on latest WMATA news. Another DE40LFA (6338) from Cinder Bed broke down. Not surprising. 

D8BE8969-4A76-4CE2-8F3F-376DEEECEF34.png

Also Orion VII #3008 was spotted on the X2 earlier today. A smaller bus running on one of the busiest Routes in the district got a lot of people scratching their heads.

In other news: CAF 5058-5059 are currently sitting outside near West Hyattsville station right now. Idk what they’re gonna do with them but I hear rumors it’s gonna be a bar. 

Also I heard 2019 New Flyer XN40 3235 was spotted at Bladensburg Division and will probably enter service soon. That bus was involved in an accident along I-70 while on delivery and didn’t enter service with the rest of the 2019 XN40s when it came out. 

On 9/8/2019 at 10:49 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

Also New Flyer D40LFR 6164 was moved to Shepherd Parkway division since it was running on Route 90 yesterday

Cool cool.

Any word on the 'general' status of the 6100-6200s? How many left? Retirement date set? Current assignments by garage?

I always liked those buses and wish they had spent more time in the District. I know they've always had some presence on routes that blur the Maryland border. I used to daydream about seeing long, major City routes (90-92, S2-S4, etc) dominated by D40LFRs... which I don't believe ever was the case.

Check this out. 6114 on the H8 circa 2007. Assignments like that didn't last for long...

IMG_0325.thumb.JPG.5c973b42963a4fb9bf59816889a43a3d.JPG

Incidentally, this photo captures a special time and place in DC. That was like the year that DC decisively pivoted from the unloved inner-city of the 1990s into the expensive, yuppie-dominated place that it's become. Not an entirely bad or good transformation -- just a significant moment in the history of a quirky, misunderstood city. This photo was taken near the current "Tivoli Square", which was barely under construction on the chilly early spring morning when 6114 was holding court.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Cool cool.

Any word on the 'general' status of the 6100-6200s? How many left? Retirement date set? Current assignments by garage?

I always liked those buses and wish they had spent more time in the District. I know they've always had some presence on routes that blur the Maryland border. I used to daydream about seeing long, major City routes (90-92, S2-S4, etc) dominated by D40LFRs... which I don't believe ever was the case.

Check this out. 6114 on the H8 circa 2007. Assignments like that didn't last for long...

Incidentally, this photo captures a special time and place in DC. That was like the year that DC decisively pivoted from the unloved inner-city of the 1990s into the expensive, yuppie-dominated place that it's become. Not an entirely bad or good transformation -- just a significant era in the history of a misunderstood city. This photo was taken near the current "Tivoli Square", which was barely under construction on the chilly early spring morning when 6114 was plying this route.

All the D40LFRs are all over the place and still active. Most of them are at Shepherd Parkway right now even though they aren’t really allowed to be in DC or VA garages since Maryland bought them. But they’ll still be around for a general amount of time (maybe like 2 or 3 more years). 

You’ll find them at Southern Ave, Shepherd Parkway, Montgomery, Bladensburg, And Landover garages.

You’ll find them in most MD routes and a couple of VA routes. Maybe you'll see them in VA every once in a while if they’re using them on the shuttles, bus shortage, NH2, or 11Y.

1 hour ago, DCTransitFilms said:

All the D40LFRs are all over the place and still active. Most of them are at Shepherd Parkway right now even though they aren’t really allowed to be in DC or VA garages since Maryland bought them. But they’ll still be around for a general amount of time (maybe like 2 or 3 more years). 

You’ll find them at Southern Ave, Shepherd Parkway, Montgomery, Bladensburg, And Landover garages.

You’ll find them in most MD routes and a couple of VA routes. Maybe you'll see them in VA every once in a while if they’re using them on the shuttles, bus shortage, NH2, or 11Y.

You know, West Ox did have a few of these back in 2016 or so. The D40LFR fleet as a whole is still mostly intact except for bus #6206 which crashed in late 2011 and was immediately retired afterwards (in fact, it was still in the old 1990s Metrobus scheme). I believe these buses will be replaced by XD40s (or even XE40s) in the next few years as they are about to be the oldest buses in the system (after all the remaining Orion Vs, VII CNGs, DE40LFs, and DE40LFRs are retired).

On 9/5/2019 at 7:37 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Update on latest WMATA news. Another DE40LFA (6338) from Cinder Bed broke down. Not surprising. 

D8BE8969-4A76-4CE2-8F3F-376DEEECEF34.png

Also Orion VII #3008 was spotted on the X2 earlier today. A smaller bus running on one of the busiest Routes in the district got a lot of people scratching their heads.

#3008 was probably following another bus closely behind. That's probably how they are able to get away with it. I spotted #3019 on the 25B and #3030 heading somewhere else the other day in VA. I need to catch those 30ft Orion VII OG CNGs before they leave. By this time next year, I don't think the will be any Orion VIIs left in the bus fleet (besides the 2012 3rd Gens of course). As for #6338, that is sadly an all too common sight now. I  do sometimes wonder what will happen when these units eventually get swapped out for other buses....

1 hour ago, Chris.A said:

You know, West Ox did have a few of these back in 2016 or so. The D40LFR fleet as a whole is still mostly intact except for bus #6206 which crashed in late 2011 and was immediately retired afterwards (in fact, it was still in the old 1990s Metrobus scheme). I believe these buses will be replaced by XD40s (or even XE40s) in the next few years as they are about to be the oldest buses in the system (after all the remaining Orion Vs, VII CNGs, DE40LFs, and DE40LFRs are retired).

#3008 was probably following another bus closely behind. That's probably how they are able to get away with it. I spotted #3019 on the 25B and #3030 heading somewhere else the other day in VA. I need to catch those 30ft Orion VII OG CNGs before they leave. By this time next year, I don't think the will be any Orion VIIs left in the bus fleet (besides the 2012 3rd Gens of course). As for #6338, that is sadly an all too common sight now. I  do sometimes wonder what will happen when these units eventually get swapped out for other buses....

I forgot West Ox, Western, And Northern had a few units back in 2016-2018. I also forgot about 6206 being retired. But I did see it last year parked with a bunch of retired Orion VII CNGs as well. But yeah they’ll be replaced by newer XD40s soon. But they’ll probably take on the reserve fleet first that the 2000 Orion Vs are used for lately before officially retiring but idk. 

And yeah the 30ft Orion VII CNGs are probably going to start retiring next year although I haven’t seen 3029, and 3031-3035 run in a while. As ik only 3019, 3028, and 3030 are running in VA idk about the rest. 

Also it’s more common to see a broken down DE40LFA From Cinder Bed instead of seeing a working DE40LFA.

9 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I forgot West Ox, Western, And Northern had a few units back in 2016-2018. I also forgot about 6206 being retired. But I did see it last year parked with a bunch of retired Orion VII CNGs as well. But yeah they’ll be replaced by newer XD40s soon. But they’ll probably take on the reserve fleet first that the 2000 Orion Vs are used for lately before officially retiring but idk. 

And yeah the 30ft Orion VII CNGs are probably going to start retiring next year although I haven’t seen 3029, and 3031-3035 run in a while. As ik only 3019, 3028, and 3030 are running in VA idk about the rest. 

Also it’s more common to see a broken down DE40LFA From Cinder Bed instead of seeing a working DE40LFA.

I think #3033 was on the 3T a couple of weeks ago. Haven't seen an Orion V out in a while either.

57 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

I think #3033 was on the 3T a couple of weeks ago. Haven't seen an Orion V out in a while either.

Ah they just never show up on Transsee or WMATA. That’s how I always think i never seen them. 

Also the Orion Vs haven’t been running since Andrews opened on Routes. They’re mostly in reserve until the XD40s enter service. They’re mostly used to Montgomery and Andrews employee shuttles though.

Here’s Orion Vs 2119, 2122, 2123, and 2124 spotted at Van Dorn Street earlier today. Wonder what they’re doing there. I’m not sure if 2122, 2123, and 2124 are at FMR since of this spotting.

10762D0C-47FD-4080-B751-E023564F4BBD.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/11/2019 at 10:39 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

Here’s Orion Vs 2119, 2122, 2123, and 2124 spotted at Van Dorn Street earlier today. Wonder what they’re doing there. I’m not sure if 2122, 2123, and 2124 are at FMR since of this spotting.

10762D0C-47FD-4080-B751-E023564F4BBD.png

What on earth were they doing there? And almost in sequential order to boot! This may be related in some way, but I also saw 2006 D40LFR #6215 on I-395 near the springfield interchange, broken down. A Landover depot bus in this part of town is rare, but seeing one stalled out on the highway is something out of the norm. At least it was not a Cinder Bed or West Ox depot bus for once though.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:16 PM, Border City Transit said:

Cool cool.

Incidentally, this photo captures a special time and place in DC. That was like the year that DC decisively pivoted from the unloved inner-city of the 1990s into the expensive, yuppie-dominated place that it's become. Not an entirely bad or good transformation -- just a significant moment in the history of a quirky, misunderstood city. This photo was taken near the current "Tivoli Square", which was barely under construction on the chilly early spring morning when 6114 was holding court.

The 2006 New Flyer D40LFRs will likely retire around the 2021-2022 timeframe and the 2005 DE40LFs and 2006 DE40LFRs around 2021. As it stands, the aren't enough XD40s on order to replace all of these buses (around 160 buses in all) and the remaining Orion Vs from the early 2000s at the same time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris.A said:

What on earth were they doing there? And almost in sequential order to boot! This may be related in some way, but I also saw 2006 D40LFR #6215 on I-395 near the springfield interchange, broken down. A Landover depot bus in this part of town is rare, but seeing one stalled out on the highway is something out of the norm. At least it was not a Cinder Bed or West Ox depot bus for once though.

The 2006 New Flyer D40LFRs will likely retire around the 2021-2022 timeframe and the 2005 DE40LFs and 2006 DE40LFRs around 2021. As it stands, the aren't enough XD40s on order to replace all of these buses (around 160 buses in all) and the remaining Orion Vs from the early 2000s at the same time.

Guessing those Orion Vs were on standby in case trouble happens on the rails where the shuttle lines has to be redeployed since it's tags are under the Blue Line Shuttles. Also wonder what 6215 was doing in Springfield then. 

On 9/12/2019 at 10:04 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Guessing those Orion Vs were on standby in case trouble happens on the rails where the shuttle lines has to be redeployed since it's tags are under the Blue Line Shuttles. Also wonder what 6215 was doing in Springfield then. 

There were 2 Orion VII CNGs on the 5A last saturday afternoon. #2712 and #2723 (in which I rode the former). I will miss these buses when they are gone.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:45 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Also Southern Ave has XDE40s 7300-7346, D40LFRs 6104-6136, and Orion VII Hybrids 3041-3044 only used on the U4 for some odd reason. 

2006 Orion VII OG CNGs #2678 and #2679 are now retired out of Bladensburg. Also, 2 2000 Orion Vs are now back a Four Mile Run depot. #2122 and #2123!

P.S. #2706 Is working the 4B , #2717 is on the 10A and #2719 is on the 21A.

10 hours ago, Chris.A said:

2006 Orion VII OG CNGs #2678 and #2679 are now retired out of Bladensburg. Also, 2 2000 Orion Vs are now back a Four Mile Run depot. #2122 and #2123!

P.S. #2706 Is working the 4B , #2717 is on the 10A and #2719 is on the 21A.

Yeah I had a feeling 2678 and 2679 were retired. Also I got a feeling some 2640s and 2650s are retired now and maybe 2658 (one of the last remaining 2600 Red Local scheme buses with the other being 2673). As for the 2700 series, I only know 2703, 2706, 2712, 2713, 2717-2720, 2723, 2724, 2727, and 2730. 

Also 3002 was running on the Landover employee shuttle two days ago and I heard there’s a few 30 ft Orion VII CNGs parked at landover (guessing they’re loaners as the Orion VII Hybrids go under maintenance or rehabbed) but I really don’t know. They’re probably just loaners not used for any services. 

Also WMATA has ordered an addition 110 buses from New Flyer. We already know we’re getting 25 moe XD40s, 75 more XN40s, and 10 New Flyer XD60s. 

https://www.newflyer.com/2019/09/new-flyer-announces-additional-110-buses-ordered-for-washington-dc-transit-system/?fbclid=IwAR1mJlO9S6D5xVTAA7jrj2HIQE3WtISGFry-R-CU00-7LsXka-tIAJL4VSw