Jump to content

WMATA Washington


DCAreaTransitFan
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 10/31/2022 at 8:15 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

We're lucky nobody was seriously hurt, and the suspects were arrested. A friend told me that bus might be totaled but I'm not sure if it's the case. Its oing to be out for a while though per legal holds and repairs.

Also all Route 5A service will officially end on November 15, 2022. All airport bus routes have officially been concluded.

https://www.wmata.com/service/status/5A-Elimination.cfm

With the 5A going (I still think this is a mistake), will Four Mile Run be taking anymore routes from Cinder Bed or another depot or you think they'll lose some 2016 New Flyer XN40 CNGs again to Bladensburg? I would guess the latter since they lost a few 2015 New Flyer XDE60s to Cinder Bed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Metro looking at running a Silver Express branch by bypassing stations. With only two tracks, it will be pretty hard to time since trains can't get around each other or using crossover tracks which are only in certain sections. 

Plus the six minutes it would save is pretty minimal bypassing a few stations. 

https://dcist.com/story/22/11/01/metro-exploring-silver-line-express-train/?fbclid=IwAR2qbYV-mBbbYQzddqwpxUfAVM69HToVDim7zSP0l6WpsPLexdLncB9a2Hc

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Metro looking at running a Silver Express branch by bypassing stations. With only two tracks, it will be pretty hard to time since trains can't get around each other or using crossover tracks which are only in certain sections. 

Plus the six minutes it would save is pretty minimal bypassing a few stations. 

https://dcist.com/story/22/11/01/metro-exploring-silver-line-express-train/?fbclid=IwAR2qbYV-mBbbYQzddqwpxUfAVM69HToVDim7zSP0l6WpsPLexdLncB9a2Hc

 

This is a HUGE after thought for WMATA. They should have included 3 or 4 tracks for the expansion plan from day one! Don't expect this to go anywhere. Maybe they should consider that for the potential future line expansion on the Orange line to Centreville/Manassas or the Blue to Woodbridge (if it ever gets built). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Metro looking at running a Silver Express branch by bypassing stations. With only two tracks, it will be pretty hard to time since trains can't get around each other or using crossover tracks which are only in certain sections. 

Plus the six minutes it would save is pretty minimal bypassing a few stations. 

https://dcist.com/story/22/11/01/metro-exploring-silver-line-express-train/?fbclid=IwAR2qbYV-mBbbYQzddqwpxUfAVM69HToVDim7zSP0l6WpsPLexdLncB9a2Hc

 

 

2 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

This is a HUGE after thought for WMATA. They should have included 3 or for tracks for the expansion plan from day one! Don't expect this to go anywhere.

I got to agree. If WMATA wanted to do this, they should've created an express trackage back during original construction. That was a huge miss for WMATA...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

THIS JUST IN: As of earlier today, all six stations south of Reagan National Airport have been reopened to the public. However, there is STILL no Yellow Line service due to the Potomac River Bridge rehabilitation between the Pentagon and L'Enfant Plaza.

 https://wmata.com/about/news/BL-YL-closed-stations-reopen-Nov-6.cfm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BusTraveler96 said:

THIS JUST IN: As of earlier today, all six stations south of Reagan National Airport have been reopened to the public. However, there is STILL no Yellow Line service due to the Potomac River Bridge rehabilitation between the Pentagon and L'Enfant Plaza.

 https://wmata.com/about/news/BL-YL-closed-stations-reopen-Nov-6.cfm

Yellow Line wont open until May at best. Least we have extra Blue Line service.

Also hearing we're getting pre-pandemic service back very soon with the 7000-series fully returning to service.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/11/03/metro-rail-cars-silver-line/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/6/2022 at 9:25 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

Yellow Line wont open until May at best. Least we have extra Blue Line service.

Also hearing we're getting pre-pandemic service back very soon with the 7000-series fully returning to service.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/11/03/metro-rail-cars-silver-line/

Where is the bus service at now? 90% or still 75%?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it hasn’t already been mentioned, we have a division pick starting this Monday. It goes into effect Sunday, December 11th. 
 

The only changes I’m aware of as of this post is that the routes that had their service reduced (70, S2, L2, N2/N4) in September will be restored.

Edited by Metrobus1A
Include schedule changes and fix grammatical errors.
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Metrobus1A said:

If it already hasn’t been mentioned, we have a division pick starting this Monday. It goes into effect Sunday, December 11th. 
 

The only changes I’m aware of as of this post is that the routes that had their service reduced (70, S2, L2, N2/N4) in September will be restored.

That, and the 5A is going bye bye by this time next week, so FMR will be down a line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Metrobus1A said:

If it hasn’t already been mentioned, we have a division pick starting this Monday. It goes into effect Sunday, December 11th. 
 

The only changes I’m aware of as of this post is that the routes that had their service reduced (70, S2, L2, N2/N4) in September will be restored.

Likely we wont see a major bus swap too...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MAJOR CRIME ALERT: A man was stabbed on a Metrobus earlier this afternoon in Hillcrest Heights, MD. The suspect got on Route H12 and attacked a male passenger on Iverson St near a strip mall during an attempted robbery; he then got off the bus and fled the scene. The victim was then transported to a hospital with life-threatening injuries.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/prince-georges-county/man-stabbed-on-metrobus-in-prince-georges-county-metro/3208430/

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First day of Silver Line Phase 2 service has been a success. There are so many things to go over. Lets recap:

  • A ribbon cutting ceremony was held at Dulles Airport at 10:00 AM. The stations officially opened at 12:00 PM and began operation at 2:00 PM.
  • Some lucky passengers were invited by Metro and were able to board at Wiehle Reston to ride the first train to leave Ashburn
  • Free flags and memorabilia were handed out for the opening.
  • The first train from Downtown Largo was train 601. The cars consisted of 6132-6133, 6010-6011, 6118-6119.
  • The first official train departing Ashburn was Train 613 consisting of 7000-series railcars. They are cars 7568-7569, 7343-7342, 747-7746 as ik.
  • All pre Silver Line Phase 2 bus service will operate towards the end of the day. This includes the LCT routes, FFC routes, and Washington Flyer Express.
  • Metrobus Route 5A will officially be eliminated as of tomorrow. The final bus scheduled to run will be 2018 XN40 3196.
  • With Metro now running to Dulles, it can crave the way for low-cost airlines to make their way to Dulles (I heard this on the news).
  • I will wait to see what the ridership will be like in the next few days or weeks.

I will be checking out the extension in the next few weeks when I get the chance.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

First day of Silver Line Phase 2 service has been a success. There are so many things to go over. Lets recap:

  • A ribbon cutting ceremony was held at Dulles Airport at 10:00 AM. The stations officially opened at 12:00 PM and began operation at 2:00 PM.
  • Some lucky passengers were invited by Metro and were able to board at Wiehle Reston to ride the first train to leave Ashburn
  • Free flags and memorabilia were handed out for the opening.
  • The first train from Downtown Largo was train 601. The cars consisted of 6132-6133, 6010-6011, 6118-6119.
  • The first official train departing Ashburn was Train 613 consisting of 7000-series railcars. They are cars 7568-7569, 7343-7342, 747-7746 as ik.
  • All pre Silver Line Phase 2 bus service will operate towards the end of the day. This includes the LCT routes, FFC routes, and Washington Flyer Express.
  • Metrobus Route 5A will officially be eliminated as of tomorrow. The final bus scheduled to run will be 2018 XN40 3196.
  • With Metro now running to Dulles, it can crave the way for low-cost airlines to make their way to Dulles (I heard this on the news).
  • I will wait to see what the ridership will be like in the next few days or weeks.

I will be checking out the extension in the next few weeks when I get the chance.

Now that the Silver line is now completed (after nearly a decade of delays), I wonder what WMATA's next future expansion plans will be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

First day of Silver Line Phase 2 service has been a success. There are so many things to go over. Lets recap:

  • A ribbon cutting ceremony was held at Dulles Airport at 10:00 AM. The stations officially opened at 12:00 PM and began operation at 2:00 PM.
  • Some lucky passengers were invited by Metro and were able to board at Wiehle Reston to ride the first train to leave Ashburn
  • Free flags and memorabilia were handed out for the opening.
  • The first train from Downtown Largo was train 601. The cars consisted of 6132-6133, 6010-6011, 6118-6119.
  • The first official train departing Ashburn was Train 613 consisting of 7000-series railcars. They are cars 7568-7569, 7343-7342, 747-7746 as ik.
  • All pre Silver Line Phase 2 bus service will operate towards the end of the day. This includes the LCT routes, FFC routes, and Washington Flyer Express.
  • Metrobus Route 5A will officially be eliminated as of tomorrow. The final bus scheduled to run will be 2018 XN40 3196.
  • With Metro now running to Dulles, it can crave the way for low-cost airlines to make their way to Dulles (I heard this on the news).
  • I will wait to see what the ridership will be like in the next few days or weeks.

I will be checking out the extension in the next few weeks when I get the chance.

I know when I travelled to Washington DC, I had to use Regan International Airport because of the subway connection. Dulles wouldn't work out due to the limited bus service. Where as now, I will most likely utilize Dulles since there is a direct subway connection. 

Nice to see the Silver Line extension finally open for service after so many years. It is long overdue. 

1 hour ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

Seems that the last ever 5A bus (2018 New Flyer XN40 CNG #3196) had terminated in Rosslyn instead of going Downtown. With that, this sadly brings the end of an era from yesteryear...

I guess either there were no passengers on-board or the final passenger only needed to go to Rosslyn. Especially since the final train departures heading downtown would have cleared out before the bus connection at around 12:10 AM the next day.

It is the end of an era. Especially since it did provide a direct connection between downtown and Dulles. Even when the frequency was pretty poor and a long trip, it did serve the purpose of an airport connection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

I know when I travelled to Washington DC, I had to use Regan International Airport because of the subway connection. Dulles wouldn't work out due to the limited bus service. Where as now, I will most likely utilize Dulles since there is a direct subway connection. 

Nice to see the Silver Line extension finally open for service after so many years. It is long overdue. 

I guess either there were no passengers on-board or the final passenger only needed to go to Rosslyn. Especially since the final train departures heading downtown would have cleared out before the bus connection at around 12:10 AM the next day.

It is the end of an era. Especially since it did provide a direct connection between downtown and Dulles. Even when the frequency was pretty poor and a long trip, it did serve the purpose of an airport connection. 

Atleast it lasted longer than the B30 did. As far as anyone is concerned, that service is still suspended due to the 2020 pandemic. I still think Metrobus should provide some kind of service in the Loudoun/ Western Fairfax region as it is a regional bus system and now the Subway goes there...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MAJOR CRIME ALERT: Metrobus #6588 was involved in a shooting incident on a Thursday morning. Two men got into an argument inside a Route A2 Metrobus when the 17-year-old shooter pulled out a handgun and shot the 25-year-old man and an innocent 17-year-old girl. The shooter got off the bus and fled the scene; the two victims were later transported to a hospital with injuries not considered to be life-threatening.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/shooting-on-metrobus-in-southeast-dc-sends-two-people-to-hospital/3211599/

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/dc/shooting-metrobus-leaves-2-injured-southeast-dc/65-e60d93ab-9652-47f0-be96-959ac6902c08

In other crime news, a former Metro Transit Police officer was found guilty on a civil rights charge for beating a Metrorail rider with a metal baton in early 2018.

https://wtop.com/dc/2022/11/former-metro-police-officer-convicted-in-beating-of-rider/

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...