DCAreaTransitFan

WMATA Washington

56 minutes ago, septa105R5/seClip9 said:

Looks like their goals is now focus on CNG and Clean Diesel this upcoming fleet plan

CNG does bring savings when it comes to fuel costs, and the upfront cost of a CNG bus isn't dramatically more than that of a Diesel bus (in fact they are currently converting a 3rd division to CNG). In my opinion the benefits of hybrids (especially on some of WMATA's routes) are not enough to justify the additional costs. Its interesting how in the report you quoted WMATA had looked at converting hybrid buses to Diesel (pg. 61). I doubt they would ever fully implement such a plan, but they did estimate it would cost millions less. Page 64 also has an interesting graphic which shows that by 2030, they want more Clean Diesel buses than CNG.

It also seems they are uninterested at the moment in electric buses (yes, they have an XE40, but it doesn't have a charging station, and only does a couple of runs per day).  

56 minutes ago, septa105R5/seClip9 said:

For CNG 60ft artic (unless others including Nova Artic join in CNG artic market), likely New Flyer may get the order.

I thought I heard a rumor somewhere else on this board about Nova developing a CNG Artic, but I'm not sure if that's actually the case. Funnily enough there was an XN60 demo bus in DC this week (not sure if it had anything to do with WMATA though). A lot of fans down there want something different than Xcelciors (I share the same view), but we'll just have to see.      

• Thanks 1

Great conversation guys. Here is more on the subject of WMATA and their future plans regarding buses.

Sounds like they have no place for more artics.

And they would need to upgrade facilities to accomodate electric bus charging. So they need to get after that, but it doesn't sound like they plan to.

http://wtop.com/tracking-metro-24-7/2017/09/metros-plans-longer-buses-rebuilding-110-year-old-garage/

• Like 1

Yeah that's a good article. It mentions the additional costs of hybrids (battery and electrical work that needs to be done midway through a bus's life). 

I've seen the Northern division and it is crammed quite tight, but its location is perfect for the routes it serves. Rebuilding it is the best option. They do have more space for artics elsewhere though.

Finally, it mentions that the Sheppard Parkway division will be getting new 10 artics next year. Those are rumored to be 2018 XD60s.

• Like 2

A union representing maintenance workers is refusing to perform daily maintenance checks on 7000 Series cars after an employee was shocked a few days ago. They claim that the grounding on the railcars can fail, resulting in parts of the railcar becoming electrified unintentionally. We'll see where this goes, but for now it's causing a headache for riders...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/09/20/metro-worker-shocked-by-new-7000-series-train-union-calls-for-urgent-fixes/?utm_term=.d424f0a33f06 

Update: they will now brief employees doing mechanical checks before they resume normal procedures. 

Edited by WMATAC40LF
  • Thanks 1

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Metrobus-Crash-in-Alexandria-Injuries-People-Blocks-I-395-447762503.html

A 2014-2015 model NABI 42 BRT HEV (fleet number unknown) crashed into a cement barrier along I-395 in Virginia the other day. Luckily only minor injuries were reported.

Today, several days after this incident occurred, none of the 103 active NABI 42 BRT HEV units are apparently in service. The Shepherd Parkway division which they operate out of has been borrowing some buses from other divisions to run their routes. There is no official explanation about what's happening, but I'm speculating they've been pulled.   

Update: After 2 of these buses crashed due to stalled engines, Metro pulled them all from service. The problem is with the ignition switches, which were recently replaced...

http://wamu.org/story/17/10/04/metro-kept-hybrid-buses-service-despite-risk-stalling-engines-second-crash-prompted-action/

Edited by WMATAC40LF
  • Like 1

A few updates...

Still no word on the 2017 XN40s, so I'll be surprised if they can deliver all 100 before the end of the year. The NABI 42-BRT HEV buses remain out of service at this time, while NFI and WMATA are supposedly trying to solve the defect. Luckily, these occurrences mean that a good deal of the 2000 Orion V's are still in service.

As for Metrorail, they have now taken delivery of around 450 7000 Series Cars. All 1000 Series cars (apart from the 2 to preserved and the 6 used for revenue collection) have been disposed of and are no longer on the property. Some were cut up at the Greenbelt facility to train first responders. Hopefully I can update the wiki page sometime within the next week. 

Finally, here are some of the new stations under construction for the second phase of the Silver Line, which will extend it from Reston Va to beyond Dulles airport...

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

• Like 2

Hum...ever since I heard the Metrorail coming to Dulles Airport, I was wondering if there could ever be a Dulles Airport express train service aimed at business travellers who have tight schedules and need to get to the airport asap; but the technical design of the present line, with two tracks all the way and no stations with extra tracks/platforms, definitely prevents that from happening. Oddly enough, Reagan Airport station has a third track that could technically host a non-stop service to downtown if it was not for the track sharing down the line.

Here's something relevant that was brought up nearly a decade ago: https://ggwash.org/view/3135/was-the-lack-of-express-tracks-a-lack-of-foresight

5 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Hum...ever since I heard the Metrorail coming to Dulles Airport, I was wondering if there could ever be a Dulles Airport express train service aimed at business travellers who have tight schedules and need to get to the airport asap; but the technical design of the present line, with two tracks all the way and no stations with extra tracks/platforms, definitely prevents that from happening. Oddly enough, Reagan Airport station has a third track that could technically host a non-stop service to downtown if it was not for the track sharing down the line.

Here's something relevant that was brought up nearly a decade ago: https://ggwash.org/view/3135/was-the-lack-of-express-tracks-a-lack-of-foresight

Can not happen due to what you said only two tracks on the Metrorail system

7 hours ago, Transit geek said:

It would be cool, but most people I know who have lived in DC (including myself) wouldn't use Metro if their business is extremely time sensitive. Silver line trains, especially once they've left the Orange line tracks, already move fairly quickly (up to 60 MPH). If Metro did build express tracks, the best place for them would be in the city itself. Having trains from up to 3 lines sharing the same track causes congestion, but the costs of adding a third track along certain underground segments would be astronomical (so it won't happen). 

As for the third track at Reagan National Airport, it was included because that station was once the Southern terminus of the Blue and Yellow lines. There are a few other 3rd tracks in the system that once served as end-of-line storage, but are now more or less redundant (an example is just West of Farragut North Station on the Red Line). Because of how close Reagan National Airport is to downtown, an express service wouldn't make much sense anyway... 

• Like 1

For anyone interested, Metro is adding grey vinyl wraps to all 3000 and 6000 series cars (apart from the 2 6000s currently being converted to money train cars). They will also be fitted with only blue seats, and new floors (replacing the carpeting). The 2000s will get this treatment, and I've heard some of them could be converted for maintenance use. 

https://www.wmata.com/about/media-relations/train-wrap-pilot.cfm

4 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

For as long a I can remember they've had adds from the Archdiocese on the back of buses during Advent and Lent. I can see they've recently been pulling away from controversial adds (like Milo Yiannopoulos books, adds for abortion pills, and anti-Islam posters), but I suspect they will end up allowing these ones to go through.

• Like 3

Apparently 6182-6183 are out of revenue service and being repurposed as money train cars.

Does anyone know where I can find images of 6182-6183 as money train conversions, and of 1092-1093, which were recently converted to 8004-8005?

21 hours ago, MTA-(T)-Train said:

Apparently 6182-6183 are out of revenue service and being repurposed as money train cars.

Does anyone know where I can find images of 6182-6183 as money train conversions, and of 1092-1093, which were recently converted to 8004-8005?

I'm pretty sure I added that info to the wiki. I've seen photos of 6182-6183 undergoing conversion, but I can't share them. Other than looking them up on google, I can't think of anywhere else to find photos. I've seen the money trains before, but have'nt been able to get my camera out in time. If you do happen to encounter a money train in a station, the guards armed with assault rifles are rather intimidating anyway. As of now, I don't know of any additional 6000s being converted, but I have heard rumors about some 2000s being converted in the future. 

Also as a side note, Metrobus is beginning to return some of the 104 NABI 42 BRT HEV buses back to service, and are repairing the rest.