WMATA Washington

DCAreaTransitFan

23 minutes ago, WMATA SEEK-8 said:

It's my understanding that the Metrobus Roadeo may be making it's post-pandemic return this year. Anyone can confirm the rumor?

1 minute ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

I don't know, but if it does, it will probably be sometime in September. 

I haven't heard anything about it yet. It'd for sure be around September.

WMATA released its September 11, 2022 changes. There's only a few interesting things:

https://wmata.com/service/status/September-2022-service-changes.cfm

• Route 11C will be suspended and replaced by the DC shuttle service going to Potomac Park (basically the 11Y is returning)
  • Route S2/S9 detours will be permanent
  • A bunch of routes will be getting the updated name changes (Tysons, Hyattsville Crossing, Downtown Largo, North Bethesda)
  • A couple other routes will just be getting new schedule changes or bus bay reassignments.

14 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

WMATA released its September 11, 2022 changes. There's only a few interesting things:

https://wmata.com/service/status/September-2022-service-changes.cfm

• Route 11C will be suspended and replaced by the DC shuttle service going to Potomac Park (basically the 11Y is returning)
  • Route S2/S9 detours will be permanent
  • A bunch of routes will be getting the updated name changes (Tysons, Hyattsville Crossing, Downtown Largo, North Bethesda)
  • A couple other routes will just be getting new schedule changes or bus bay reassignments.

Wait... Does this mean that Phase 2 of the Ballston Metro construction is complete?

4 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

XD60 5530 is running on the 18P & 17G right now

There's also rumors that Cinder Bed will be receiving articulated buses due to the upcoming Blue/Yellow Line shutdown

update to this: 5530 has been spotted at Cinder Bed earlier today and has been there for a while now. Currently running the 29K.

also here is 5530 on the 17G taken by my friend

3121363E-F61E-4CD2-9129-C8156B4C8DC9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

On the 17G! That sure is an interesting way to introduce artics to NoVA... They had the foresight to build bays at Pentagon M to handle 'em.

This is a positive development. I hope they assign artics to Cinder Bed long-term. Then, move the 28A there to take advantage of this new/expanded resource.

In such a scenario, WMATA could -finally- outgrow excuses for its limited use of artics. At last, they -would- have a place to maintain them. To maintain traditional artic fleets at Montgomery and Bladensburg and eventually Northern -- as well as Cinder Bed -- the total active artic fleet could break 100 for the first time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Border City Transit said:

On the 17G! That sure is an interesting way to introduce artics to NoVA...

This is a positive development. I hope they assign artics to Cinder Bed long-term. Then, move the 28A there to take advantage of this new/expanded resource.

In such a scenario, WMATA could -finally- outgrow excuses for its limited use of artics. At last, they -would- have a place to maintain them. To maintain traditional artic fleets at Montgomery and Bladensburg and eventually Northern, the total artic fleet could break 100 for the first time.

I agree with this, they need to expand their artic fleet as there is no reason why a bus fleet the size of WMATA Metrobus has such small number of artics. I hope another New Flyer XD60 artic order could be made before WMATA switches to all Electric and CNG. Perhaps order another 30 buses and have 25 of them assigned to Cinder Bed, possibly West Ox too whenever they comeback. As for the 28A, I'd keep that at Four Mile Run as the deadheads are much shorter.

13 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

update to this: 5530 has been spotted at Cinder Bed earlier today and has been there for a while now. Currently running the 29K.

3121363E-F61E-4CD2-9129-C8156B4C8DC9.jpeg

The 17G don't have the ridership to have artics. Is this the only unit at CB currently?

2 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

On the 17G! That sure is an interesting way to introduce artics to NoVA... They had the foresight to build bays at Pentagon M to handle 'em.

In such a scenario, WMATA could -finally- outgrow excuses for its limited use of artics. At last, they -would- have a place to maintain them. To maintain traditional artic fleets at Montgomery and Bladensburg and eventually Northern -- as well as Cinder Bed -- the total active artic fleet could break 100 for the first time.

2 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

I agree with this, they need to expand their artic fleet as there is no reason why a bus fleet the size of WMATA Metrobus has such small number of artics. I hope another New Flyer XD60 artic order could be made before WMATA switches to all Electric and CNG. Perhaps order another 30 buses and have 25 of them assigned to Cinder Bed, possibly West Ox too whenever they comeback. As for the 28A, I'd keep that at Four Mile Run as the deadheads are much shorter.

They're sending articulated buses down to Cinder Bed to help out with the Mount Vernon Shuttle I'm hearing. I also believe WMATA can try to test out tics there as well since they're over there already. WMATA does want more tics but lack space like usual. Tics for the shuttles might be the start of articulated buses in VA once again as if it goes well, there's a possibility that WMATA will finally order tics that will go to Cinder Bed.

14 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

They're sending articulated buses down to Cinder Bed to help out with the Mount Vernon Shuttle I'm hearing. I also believe WMATA can try to test out tics there as well since they're over there already. WMATA does want more tics but lack space like usual. Tics for the shuttles might be the start of articulated buses in VA once again as if it goes well, there's a possibility that WMATA will finally order tics that will go to Cinder Bed.

That future REX bus replacement ("The One bus") is supposed to get artics anyway aren't they?

2 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

That future REX bus replacement ("The One bus") is supposed to get artics anyway aren't they?

That's what I heard about. Still unsure if its actually going to be branded under WMATA or Fairfax Connector.

WMATA will be returning more 7000 series railcars beginning on September 12, 2022. About 20 trains (like 160 cars) will be able to return to service. They will be heading onto the Red Line next I'm hearing.

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/7K-Update-Metro-customers-get-more-frequent-rail-service.cfm

17 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

That's what I heard about. Still unsure if its actually going to be branded under WMATA or Fairfax Connector.

WMATA will be returning more 7000 series railcars beginning on September 12, 2022. About 20 trains (like 160 cars) will be able to return to service. They will be heading onto the Red Line next I'm hearing.

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/7K-Update-Metro-customers-get-more-frequent-rail-service.cfm

About time as the Red Line on seem to have #3000s and #6000s. I'm thinking the service will be under WMATA as it would make more sense. Fairfax Connector would have to construct another new bus depot to replace Huntington as it does not have the tools for artics to be housed there and Cinder Bed is a brand new bus depot. I don't think these buses will be based out of West Ox either. 

19 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Finally! It's been a while since I last rode these kinds of railcars prior to last year's derailment.

One question, though: what about the Blue, Orange and Silver Lines?

On 9/3/2022 at 12:08 PM, BusTraveler96 said:

Finally! It's been a while since I last rode these kinds of railcars prior to last year's derailment.

One question, though: what about the Blue, Orange and Silver Lines?

Haven't heard any 7000 series being on those lines next, but two are on the Red Line right now I heard. 

Some major Metrorail news:

In Maryland, all five Metro Stations on the Orange Line (Minnesota Ave, Deanwood, Cheverly, Landover, and New Carrollton) have officially re-opened earlier today, ending a four-year rehabilitation project on 20 outdoor stations.

https://wjla.com/news/local/five-metro-stations-orange-line-reopen-tuesday-with-platform-reconstruction-customer-upgrades-safety-repairs-new-carrollton-landover-cheverly-deanwood-minnesota-avenue-completion-project-gm-randy-clarke-yellow-line-another-shutdown

In Virginia, major construction on the Yellow (and Blue) line(s) will begin this weekend due to the new Potomac Yard Metro Station and the Potomac River bridge and tunnel rehabilitation project.

https://www.wmata.com/initiatives/plans/Major-Blue-and-Yellow-Line-Construction/index.cfm

And systemwide, Blue, Orange, and Silver Line trains will operate every 15 minutes on Saturdays and Sundays, and Green Line trains every eight minutes due to the Yellow Line closure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/09/06/metro-wmata-service-7000-series/

On 9/6/2022 at 9:31 PM, BusTraveler96 said:

Some major Metrorail news:

In Maryland, all five Metro Stations on the Orange Line (Minnesota Ave, Deanwood, Cheverly, Landover, and New Carrollton) have officially re-opened earlier today, ending a four-year rehabilitation project on 20 outdoor stations.

https://wjla.com/news/local/five-metro-stations-orange-line-reopen-tuesday-with-platform-reconstruction-customer-upgrades-safety-repairs-new-carrollton-landover-cheverly-deanwood-minnesota-avenue-completion-project-gm-randy-clarke-yellow-line-another-shutdown

In Virginia, major construction on the Yellow (and Blue) line(s) will begin this weekend due to the new Potomac Yard Metro Station and the Potomac River bridge and tunnel rehabilitation project.

https://www.wmata.com/initiatives/plans/Major-Blue-and-Yellow-Line-Construction/index.cfm

And systemwide, Blue, Orange, and Silver Line trains will operate every 15 minutes on Saturdays and Sundays, and Green Line trains every eight minutes due to the Yellow Line closure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/09/06/metro-wmata-service-7000-series/

They're also renaming PG Plaza, White Flint, Largo Town Center, and Tysons Corner on Sunday.

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/Metro-to-implement-station-name-change-at-five-stations.cfm

• Like 1

Time for an update:

This pick, I left Western and went to Montgomery division. I’m on what’s called the “Night board”. If you have the day or night board, any open run(s) can be given to you. As I’m new to the garage, they scheduled me for route training this week. Wish me luck!

Edited by Metrobus1A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Articulated buses are officially at Cinder Bed. Right now I’m hearing 5464-5470 are at Cinder Bed from Bladensburg. I’m not sure if 5460-5463 are also there but we’ll see in a few days. Not sure if 5530 is still there too.

DC3 is solely Metrobus it seems. Looks like the DC1 & DC2 are contracts, and the Blue and Yellow Line shuttles are also contacts on weekdays it seems. Idk yet who is doing what since no shuttles are tracking.

Nothing else seems to have significantly moved looking at trackers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Articulated buses are officially at Cinder Bed. Right now I’m hearing 5464-5470 are at Cinder Bed from Bladensburg. I’m not sure if 5460-5463 are also there but we’ll see in a few days. Not sure if 5530 is still there too.

DC3 is solely Metrobus it seems. Looks like the DC1 & DC2 are contracts, and the Blue and Yellow Line shuttles are also contacts on weekdays it seems. Idk yet who is doing what since no shuttles are tracking.

Nothing else seems to have significantly moved looking at trackers.

So what's the story on the 2007 New Flyer C40LFRs at Four Mile Run? Have they even ran since they got sent here?