WMATA Washington

DCAreaTransitFan

In northern Fairfax County, WMATA has announced that the Silver Line Phase 2 is scheduled to open sometime in October; however, no October date has been set at this time.

https://www.ffxnow.com/2022/08/02/metro-contemplates-october-opening-for-silver-line-phase-2/

Meanwhile, in southern Fairfax County, WMATA is waiving the $4.95 parking fee at the Huntington, Van Dorn, and Franconia-Springfield Metro Stations next month due to the Potomac Yard Station construction and the Yellow Line bridge and tunnel rehab project.

https://www.ffxnow.com/2022/08/02/metro-lifts-parking-fees-at-franconia-and-huntington-stations-starting-next-month/

3 hours ago, BusTraveler96 said:

In northern Fairfax County, WMATA has announced that the Silver Line Phase 2 is scheduled to open sometime in October; however, no October date has been set at this time.

https://www.ffxnow.com/2022/08/02/metro-contemplates-october-opening-for-silver-line-phase-2/

Meanwhile, in southern Fairfax County, WMATA is waiving the $4.95 parking fee at the Huntington, Van Dorn, and Franconia-Springfield Metro Stations next month due to the Potomac Yard Station construction and the Yellow Line bridge and tunnel rehab project.

https://www.ffxnow.com/2022/08/02/metro-lifts-parking-fees-at-franconia-and-huntington-stations-starting-next-month/

WMATA is getting on my nerves with these damn delays for everything. There's also STILL no word on the status of the new XN40 CNGs we are supposed to be getting this year.... or the 2 electric artics we should have gotten from last year....

West Ox depot is completely Metrobus free (not counting the ex WMATA DE42LFAs at FFC). There is a however a wrecked Fairfax Connector 2011-2012 New Flyer XD40 parked there though, not sure the number.

16 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

So 4700 tracked on July 27 on the EX1...

are we getting the 4700s now or next year I'm confused?

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 6.02.13 PM.png

The #4700s are being delivered right now? Are there any signs of the New XN40s?

1 hour ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

West Ox depot is completely Metrobus free (not counting the ex WMATA DE42LFAs at FFC). There is a however a wrecked Fairfax Connector 2011-2012 New Flyer XD40 parked there though, not sure the number.

The #4700s are being delivered right now? Are there any signs of the New XN40s?

I got a feeling those XN40s are pushed until next year or something. It's still mentioned under the FY2023 report but not sure when they'd be delivered. I think the 4700s are beginning to be delivered too but it seems too I guess? 

How did the FFC Bus get into an accident?

6 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I do wish we can preserve buses but I'm not sure why WMATA doesn't do that.

Take these reasons into account:

-Bus garages don’t have infinite space to hold or store them.

-Since older models are no longer manufactured, (Orion V, C40LF, DE40LF, Flxible, etc.) maintaining their upkeep would be extremely difficult or near impractical as parts for the buses mentioned are no longer produced. In addition, the costs would be too high.

On a separate note, we do have a system pick which goes into effect on Sunday, September 11th.  At this time, I do not know of any service changes or planned route movements.

Edited by Metrobus1A
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Metrobus1A said:

-Since older models are no longer manufactured, (Orion V, C40LF, DE40LF, Flxible, etc.) maintaining their upkeep would be extremely difficult or near impractical as parts for the buses mentioned are no longer produced. In addition, the costs would be too high.

On a separate note, we do have a system pick which goes into effect on Sunday, September 11th.  At this time, I do not know of any service changes or planned route movements.

It’s why mainly a lot of outside firms and museums preserve buses instead of huge transit agencies. Can’t just save all buses as well. The second point May explain why the DE40LF/DE40LFRs were abruptly retired.

I did hear rumors of the Sep 11 changes that tics might be moved to Cinder Bed. Not 100% sure on that yet however. 

9 hours ago, Metrobus1A said:

This argument goes out the window when you remember that Metrobus is restoring a Flexible Metro B currently (#8700-8922 batch). They SHOULD save this 1997 Orion 5.501 (#4271) as well since it is the last of it's kind in the system (that we know of) and also the last Detroit Diesel Series 50 powered bus from that era. They poured thousands of dollars to restore it after it retired a few years ago for the bus fest, why not give it another repaint and call it a day?

2 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

It’s why mainly a lot of outside firms and museums preserve buses instead of huge transit agencies. Can’t just save all buses as well. The second point May explain why the DE40LF/DE40LFRs were abruptly retired.

I did hear rumors of the Sep 11 changes that tics might be moved to Cinder Bed. Not 100% sure on that yet however. 

Where would the artics come from and what line(s) would get it? Sheppard's Parkway (closed depot with Artics to Cinder Bed) need all their XD60s for the W lines. Maybe Bladensburg could send a few XDE60 hybrids to CB?

38 minutes ago, RailBus63 said:

Be glad you have those preserved, it's better than most other transit agencies. 

They don't even get much love from WMATA.

9 minutes ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

This argument goes out the window when you remember that Metrobus is restoring a Flexible Metro B currently (#8700-8922 batch). They SHOULD save this 1997 Orion 5.501 (#4271) as well since it is the last of it's kind in the system (that we know of) and also the last Detroit Diesel Series 50 powered bus from that era. They poured thousands of dollars to restore it after it retired a few years ago for the bus fest, why not give it another repaint and call it a day?

Where would the artics come from and what line(s) would get it? Sheppard's Parkway (closed depot with Artics to Cinder Bed) need all their XD60s for the W lines. Maybe Bladensburg could send a few XDE60 hybrids to CB?

The 28A could use them.  They could also help out possibly on some Pike Ride routes, the 16A/C usually gets busy during rush hours.  That’s the only ones I can think of.

1 hour ago, RailBus63 said:

Be glad you have those preserved, it's better than most other transit agencies. 

At least though. Better than nothing.

55 minutes ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

44 minutes ago, Rob S said:

The 28A could use them.  They could also help out possibly on some Pike Ride routes, the 16A/C usually gets busy during rush hours.  That’s the only ones I can think of.

Likely those would be used for the Yellow Line shuttle or the old 11Y shuttle route (WMATA did say "former" 11Y which implies it was likely eliminated). But not sure if they'd go there yet.

On 8/11/2022 at 6:41 PM, Rob S said:

Has the rodeo bus been retired?   You can see it in  several pictures.  Looks like the graphics has been taken off.   
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1325&acctid=20077

On 8/12/2022 at 8:47 AM, New Yorker 2001 said:

Speaking of 4271, I heard that bus was moved to Rockville and someone might actually be working on it. Someone posted it on Instagram a few days ago:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg7s2GFlaA-/

I’m hearing that Silver Line trains will start doing simulate service along the Phase 2 and Dulles Yard open on Sep 11. Something similar to what they did when Phase 1 open, trains will terminate at Wiehle Reston, then continue onto Ashburn without passengers.

I also don’t know what’s going to change during the next pick change, only rumor I’ve heard is adding tics to Cinder Bed which I’m not sure will happen yet.

On 8/18/2022 at 8:13 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

I’m hearing that Silver Line trains will start doing simulate service along the Phase 2 and Dulles Yard open on Sep 11. Something similar to what they did when Phase 1 open, trains will terminate at Wiehle Reston, then continue onto Ashburn without passengers.

I also don’t know what’s going to change during the next pick change, only rumor I’ve heard is adding tics to Cinder Bed which I’m not sure will happen yet.

I'm hearing reports that apparently, rust has been found on part of the Phase 2 trackage. Don't expect this thing to be operational before the new year......

On 8/12/2022 at 6:45 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

But didn't they have any leftover C40LF/C40LFR parts if that was the case?

There's a few retired LFRs that are inside Landover division right now. I don't know numbers, only saw that Google Maps gave a clearer view inside Landover garage with a recent update:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9381873,-76.8742056,3a,17.5y,155.24h,88.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEB_REGTGr0gZvExiu1JsCQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&authuser=0