WMATA Washington

DCAreaTransitFan

Looks like the 2022 XD40 order is 4600-4699 as 4699 was spotted at CET today. Seems likely 25 additional units were picked up in total. As for the 2023 XD40 order, im wondering if we're getting 75 or 100 still. Its also likely 6388 is done as one of its front light is also missing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

WMATA will order 95 buses in the final year of the six year contract with New Flyer Industries. It seems to be the remaining XD40s and likely the XN40s? 

https://www.newflyer.com/2022/06/nfi-receives-order-for-95-xcelsior-buses-from-washington-dc-regions-metro/

I doubt they are going to follow MTA Maryland and have this be the last New Flyer order. They do have 12 electrics due for next year and I have a hunch they will be XE40s and XE60s.

WMATA has announced travel alternatives for the upcoming Blue/Yellow Line projects this September. A lot of things to go over:

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/Blue-Yellow-fall-travel-alternatives.cfm

Phase 1 between September 10 to October 22, 2022:

• All Blue Line service will terminate at Reagan Airport while they tie in the Potomac Yard construction.
  • All Yellow Line service will be suspended while they rehab the 14th Street Bridge
  • Blue Line trains will operate between Reagan Airport and Largo/New Carrollton station every 7-9 minutes.
  • Green Line trains will operate every 8 minutes.
  • No service between Pentagon and L'Enfant Plaza stations.

Phase 2 between October 22, 2022 to May, 2023:

• All stations south of Reagan Airport will reopen
  • All Yellow Line service will remain suspended.
  • Blue Line service will operate between Franconia-Springfield and Largo, & Huntington and New Carrollton. Both segments will operate every 12 minute intervals.
  • Green Line trains will continue to operate every 8 minutes.

There will be seven total shuttles operating during this closure. These shuttles are similar to the 2019 Platform Improvement Shuttles. A map of the shuttle plan will be down below.

These Shuttles will operate daily during Phase 1 only:

• Blue Line Express will operate every 6 minutes Pentagon and Franconia-Springfield stations every 6 minutes.
  • Yellow Line Express will operate between Pentagon and Huntington stations every 6 minutes.
  • Blue Line Local will serve all stops between Reagan Airport and Franconia-Springfield.
  • Yellow Line Local will serve all stops (except Reagan Airport) between Crystal City and Huntington.

These Shuttles will operate during the weekday peak hours only between September 10, 2022, to May 2023.

• VA-DC Shuttle 1: Crystal City-L'Enfant Plaza between Crystal City, Pentagon City, Smithsonian, and L’Enfant Plaza stations every 12 minutes. Will bypass Pentagon Station.

• VA-DC Shuttle 2: Pentagon-Archives between Pentagon, Smithsonian, and Archives stations every 12 minutes

• VA-DC Shuttle 3 (Route 11Y): Mt. Vernon-Potomac Park between Mt. Vernon, Alexandria, and Potomac Park every 20 minutes. Peak direction service only.

Also, WMATA will be returning eight 7000-series trains beginning tomorrow, June 16, 2022. They will first appear on the Green and Yellow Lines and eventually will make their way onto the Blue, Orange, and Silver Lines which will increase their service to every 15 minutes.

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/7000-series-limited-return-to-service.cfm

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 4.23.48 PM.png

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

WMATA has announced travel alternatives for the upcoming Blue/Yellow Line projects this September. A lot of things to go over:

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/Blue-Yellow-fall-travel-alternatives.cfm

Phase 1 between September 10 to October 22, 2022:

• All Blue Line service will terminate at Reagan Airport while they tie in the Potomac Yard construction.
  • All Yellow Line service will be suspended while they rehab the 14th Street Bridge
  • Blue Line trains will operate between Reagan Airport and Largo/New Carrollton station every 7-9 minutes.
  • Green Line trains will operate every 8 minutes.

Phase 2 between October 22, 2022 to May, 2023:

• All stations south of Reagan Airport will reopen
  • All Yellow Line service will remain suspended.
  • Blue Line service will operate between Franconia-Springfield and Largo, & Huntington and New Carrollton. Both segments will operate every 12 minute intervals.
  • Green Line trains will continue to operate every 8 minutes.

There will be seven total shuttles operating during this closure. These shuttles are similar to the 2019 Platform Improvement Shuttles. A map of the shuttle plan will be down below.

These Shuttles will operate daily during Phase 1 only:

• Blue Line Express will operate every 6 minutes Pentagon and Franconia-Springfield stations every 6 minutes.
  • Yellow Line Express will operate between Pentagon and Huntington stations every 6 minutes.
  • Blue Line Local will serve all stops between Reagan Airport and Franconia-Springfield.
  • Yellow Line Local will serve all stops (except Reagan Airport) between Crystal City and Huntington.

These Shuttles will operate during the weekday peak hours only between September 10, 2022, to May 2023.

• VA-DC Shuttle 1: Crystal City-L'Enfant Plaza between Crystal City, Pentagon City, Smithsonian, and L’Enfant Plaza stations every 12 minutes. Will bypass Pentagon Station.

• VA-DC Shuttle 2: Pentagon-Archives between Pentagon, Smithsonian, and Archives stations every 12 minutes

• VA-DC Shuttle 3 (Route 11Y): Mt. Vernon-Potomac Park between Mt. Vernon, Alexandria, and Potomac Park every 20 minutes. Peak direction service only.

Also, WMATA will be returning eight 7000-series trains beginning tomorrow, June 16, 2022. They will first appear on the Green and Yellow Lines and eventually will make their way onto the Blue, Orange, and Silver Lines which will increase their service to every 15 minutes.

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/7000-series-limited-return-to-service.cfm

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 4.23.48 PM.png

About time the 7000s came back! Right on time for the Silver Line too!

On 6/13/2022 at 5:22 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

WMATA will order 95 buses in the final year of the six year contract with New Flyer Industries. It seems to be the remaining XD40s and likely the XN40s? 

https://www.newflyer.com/2022/06/nfi-receives-order-for-95-xcelsior-buses-from-washington-dc-regions-metro/

Are they due for more CNGs next year? Hell, we're still waiting for the CNGs for THIS year! lol

On 6/12/2022 at 7:17 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Looks like the 2022 XD40 order is 4600-4699 as 4699 was spotted at CET today. Seems likely 25 additional units were picked up in total. As for the 2023 XD40 order, im wondering if we're getting 75 or 100 still. Its also likely 6388 is done as one of its front light is also missing.

Yeah, I got a feeling that the 2009 LFAs won't be around for much longer...

10 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

About time the 7000s came back! Right on time for the Silver Line too!

Are they due for more CNGs next year? Hell, we're still waiting for the CNGs for THIS year! lol

Yeah, I got a feeling that the 2009 LFAs won't be around for much longer...

Im still not sure about the XN40 order I haven't seen any arrive yet. Electrics are suppose to come around September I believe. Plus those LFAs are already starting to see reduced usage. 

More XD40s went into service. Most of the remaining Shep buses (4675, 4679, 4682, 4685) are active, and some of Landover's portion is beginning to see service (4686, 4687, 4690, 4692, 4693). Look like the XD40 order is beginning to wrap up and the 4700s are underway soon.

On 6/17/2022 at 8:43 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

More XD40s went into service. Most of the remaining Shep buses (4675, 4679, 4682, 4685) are active, and some of Landover's portion is beginning to see service (4686, 4687, 4690, 4692, 4693). Look like the XD40 order is beginning to wrap up and the 4700s are underway soon.

Are the #4700s already built? Are they going up to #4800s or is it stopping before then?

2 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

Are the #4700s already built? Are they going up to #4800s or is it stopping before then?

I haven't heard anything about the 4700s being built or anything yet. This suppose to be the last year of the NFI Current contract so idk if we're getting anymore XD40s if we go NFI again. 

4 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I haven't heard anything about the 4700s being built or anything yet. This suppose to be the last year of the NFI Current contract so idk if we're getting anymore XD40s if we go NFI again. 

Makes sense I suppose... Anyhow, drove by FMR depot yesterday and can confirm that there are about 6-7 2007 New Flyer C40LFR CNGs parked in the depot. I don't know if any went into service lately though. Also at this time, only 2 2014-15 NABI BRT 42 hybrids are in service currently systemwide, #8051, and #8097. Does anyone remember if the now retired 2000 Orion 6.501s were giving this reserve treatment before retiring?

1 hour ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

Makes sense I suppose... Anyhow, drove by FMR depot yesterday and can confirm that there are about 6-7 2007 New Flyer C40LFR CNGs parked in the depot. I don't know if any went into service lately though. Also at this time, only 2 2014-15 NABI BRT 42 hybrids are in service currently systemwide, #8051, and #8097. Does anyone remember if the now retired 2000 Orion 6.501s were giving this reserve treatment before retiring?

Not sure actually. I think I’ve saw them on weekends a bit. Can’t remember tho.

an XN40 has gotten into an accident it seems like. The front is smashed up. Pic taken by my friend.

0BDB1878-8E8F-4DFD-BFD7-06C969FFE2D0.jpeg

• Sad 1

There were four red LFAs on Landover routes today. As Ik 6504, 6518, 6522, and 6524 made their way onto Landover routes today. I doubt Landover will get any LFAs but it a blast from the past of LFAs being on Landover routes, something that hasn’t been seen since 2012!

also more loans were going on as 2976 was running on Western routes, 2899 on the T18, and 3298 was on the 90. Not sure what happened today.

On 6/23/2022 at 9:57 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

WMATA has finally taken over control of the Silver Line Phase 2 extension. Opening date TBA.

https://wmata.com/about/news/silver-line-extension-transferred.cfm

I remember reading about the Silver Line extension since 2019. Back when I visited Washington DC to attend a special event and the only option I had was Regan International Airport that had a direct connection to the subway.

If I took my flight to Dulles, it would be a pretty long wait for a bus ride which isn't really helpful with the premium fare and limited frequency. At least once the subway extension opens, it provides an alternative option to a different airport with a more direct connection and not stress about traffic.

Hopefully WMATA gets the testing right to avoid the issues they have had over the years. Especially how they did sideline a lot of rolling stock due to safety concerns. 

• Like 1