WMATA Washington

DCAreaTransitFan

3 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Multiple Alternatives (7A and BL/YL lines) and to cut cost I believe. But the 7Y gets a lot of ridership and it’d be a huge blow if it gets eliminated. 

Well the blue line is still down at the moment. WTF happened to that LFSA??

14 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

4505, 4507, and 4508 all are in service from Landover division. Not sure what else entered since 4500 has no working trackers. Here’s 4507 taken by Minh Truong

563E686F-DCEB-4305-9C80-F4A4E4E3F091.jpeg

Hmm, what does Landover got that's of retirement age? DE40LFs?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I think its also safe to say all DE60LFAs minus 5442 are now sidelined and/or retired

Along with the 2008 Nabi BRT CNGs. But, how many Orion 7 OG CNGs are left? Are they all gone now from Bladensburg? And the C40LFRs?

7 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Along with the 2008 Nabi BRT CNGs. But, how many Orion 7 OG CNGs are left? Are they all gone now from Bladensburg? And the C40LFRs?

NABI 60s are all retired since they were put up for auction. For Orion VII CNGs, as Ik 3006 and 3009 were tracked within the last week, thinking 3004 and 3007 are done since they haven’t been out for a bit. C40LFRs are fine still (2818-2825). 2801-2816 are retired it seems and 2817 is rn a reserve. 

14 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

NABI 60s are all retired since they were put up for auction. For Orion VII CNGs, as Ik 3006 and 3009 were tracked within the last week, thinking 3004 and 3007 are done since they haven’t been out for a bit. C40LFRs are fine still (2818-2825). 2801-2816 are retired it seems and 2817 is rn a reserve. 

Ah, ok that makes sense. Anyone know if Arlington Transit is going to start retiring their Nabi buses? 

In PRTC news, it seems they had recently started to transfer some buses over to the new Western Facility. I saw about 8-10 older D4500CL buses along with some older 2005 Gillig Advantages and one Phantom. Not sure if they are operational yet though.

The depot is near Western Manassas where route 234 approaches I-66 towards Gainesville. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Montgomery County wants WMATA to rename White Flint to North Bethesda station

Yawn.

No one misses White Flint Mall... but the name White Flint itself is unique and distinctive. In addition to "unique" and "distinctive" being useful features for navigation, aren't they board-adopted policies for naming Metro stations?

I appreciate that this is a rapidly redeveloping area. Why not reclaim the name White Flint? Or if not that, use a new name that is distinctive: Randolph... Montrose... The Pike... Marinelli.

"North Bethesda" is just boring. It's also somewhat irritating that there'd be two stations between North Bethesda and "regular" Bethesda. This could make navigation even less intuitive.

Whatever. Not that important... just kinda underwhelming.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Yawn.

No one misses White Flint Mall... but the name White Flint itself is unique and distinctive. In addition to "unique" and "distinctive" being useful features for navigation, aren't they board-adopted policies for naming Metro stations?

I appreciate that this is a rapidly redeveloping area. Why not reclaim the name White Flint? Or if not that, use a new name that is distinctive: Randolph... Montrose... The Pike... Marinelli.

"North Bethesda" is just boring. It's also somewhat irritating that there'd be two stations between North Bethesda and "regular" Bethesda. This could make navigation even less intuitive.

Whatever. Not that important... just kinda underwhelming.

10 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Yeah, I saw that too. North Bethesda sounds more modern honestly.

Yeah I do prefer the White Flint name because its unique and served for the development of White Flint before the mall closed. However I do think its been named North Bethesda for many years since when looking at google maps, it does say its under North Bethesda. But North Bethesda sounds kind of boring tbh they could rename it to something more creative instead of something sounding a little bit cliche even if it does sound modern. It also why I hate the Hyattsville Crossing name and prefer the PG Plaza name since a lot of people call it PG Plaza, plus the mall still has the Prince George's name. But again like whats happening at White Flint, its because of the surrounding area development and PG Plaza name was gone for many years but not a lot of people like the name still tho. Tysons ok since the word "corner" is just dropped plus it just sounds better.

Also, 6012 and 6041 from the reserves at Montgomery were out today on the S2 (6012) and Z8 (6041) due to the 6400s breaking down a lot. They will go back into the reserve pile once the 6400s are back up and running. And West Ox will officially reopen on September 5, 2021. They'll be taking back the 1 and 2 lines, 26A, and 38B plus they will get the 4A/4B 

3 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Yeah I do prefer the White Flint name because its unique and served for the development of White Flint before the mall closed. However I do think its been named North Bethesda for many years since when looking at google maps, it does say its under North Bethesda. But North Bethesda sounds kind of boring tbh they could rename it to something more creative instead of something sounding a little bit cliche even if it does sound modern. It also why I hate the Hyattsville Crossing name and prefer the PG Plaza name since a lot of people call it PG Plaza, plus the mall still has the Prince George's name. But again like whats happening at White Flint, its because of the surrounding area development and PG Plaza name was gone for many years but not a lot of people like the name still tho. Tysons ok since the word "corner" is just dropped plus it just sounds better.

Also, 6012 and 6041 from the reserves at Montgomery were out today on the S2 (6012) and Z8 (6041) due to the 6400s breaking down a lot. They will go back into the reserve pile once the 6400s are back up and running. And West Ox will officially reopen on September 5, 2021. They'll be taking back the 1 and 2 lines, 26A, and 38B plus they will get the 4A/4B 

Will they still be weekdays only?

I was on the Orange Line yesterday and as the train was passing CET, I saw that there are still 6-7 2006 40ft Orion VII OG CNGs and about a dozen 2000 Orion V diesels still on site. I figured these buses would have been gone already, but I guess not.

On 5/30/2021 at 9:06 AM, Chris.A said:

I was on the Orange Line yesterday and as the train was passing CET, I saw that there are still 6-7 2006 40ft Orion VII OG CNGs and about a dozen 2000 Orion V diesels still on site. I figured these buses would have been gone already, but I guess not.

Yeah I saw them yesterday couple just sitting around.

also, WMATA is looking at making major changes this coming September and December for ridership to comeback. Here is the document looking at this:

https://www.wmata.com/about/board/meetings/board-pdfs/upload/3A-Service-and-Fare-Opportunities.pdf

Some highlights:

• Launch 26 line all day, frequent rail and bus service plan
    • All day frequent service on all 6 rail and 20 bus lines (serving nearly half of bus riders)
    • 12 minute minimum frequency between 7am to 9pm, 7 days a week
    • Additional improvements to base service levels on other bus lines
  • For Metrorail: Summer 2021: Extend hours to midnight, 7 days a week, Fall 2021: Extend hours to 1 am on Friday and Saturday
  • Peak Period will be improved to 5 minutes on the Red Line and 10 Mins on other lines. Midday and evening service will remain 6-12 mins.
  • All trains will be 100% 8 car
  • On-Board bus digital screens in two new electric buses (which will most likely be the two tics), expected in 2022

1 hour ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Yeah I saw them yesterday couple just sitting around.

also, WMATA is looking at making major changes this coming September and December for ridership to comeback. Here is the document looking at this:

https://www.wmata.com/about/board/meetings/board-pdfs/upload/3A-Service-and-Fare-Opportunities.pdf

Some highlights:

• Launch 26 line all day, frequent rail and bus service plan
    • All day frequent service on all 6 rail and 20 bus lines (serving nearly half of bus riders)
    • 12 minute minimum frequency between 7am to 9pm, 7 days a week
    • Additional improvements to base service levels on other bus lines
  • For Metrorail: Summer 2021: Extend hours to midnight, 7 days a week, Fall 2021: Extend hours to 1 am on Friday and Saturday
  • Peak Period will be improved to 5 minutes on the Red Line and 10 Mins on other lines. Midday and evening service will remain 6-12 mins.
  • All trains will be 100% 8 car
  • On-Board bus digital screens in two new electric buses (which will most likely be the two tics), expected in 2022

Like what NY MTA has on their buses?

If true, that's cool also the back to midnight time on the trains is a plus, almost got stranded a couple times because of that stupid 11pm cutoff point.

I hope Metrorail can eventually become 24 hours. They really should consider that!

On 6/1/2021 at 1:26 PM, Chris.A said:

Like what NY MTA has on their buses?

If true, that's cool also the back to midnight time on the trains is a plus, almost got stranded a couple times because of that stupid 11pm cutoff point.

I hope Metrorail can eventually become 24 hours. They really should consider that!

pretty much. most likely won't have 24 hr service yet just not much demand