WMATA Washington

DCAreaTransitFan

On 3/26/2021 at 7:49 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

Standard age for tics are 12 years. But the thing is they were just rehabbed in 2018-2019. The D40LFRs, DE40LFRs, and DE40LFs are 15-16 years old they’re gonna retire soon because MTA already retired their DE40LFRs and there’s limited parts now. 

'Parts availability' is often a convenient excuse used by transit agencies that don't want to spend money on older buses.  There are multiple examples of cities which kept transit buses in service for decades after those models were retired elsewhere (Altoona's GM New Looks and Minot, North Dakota's AM General's being two notable examples).  Aftermarket parts is a very profitable business and New Flyer likely still has LFR parts available. There is also the option to buy retired buses from other agencies as parts donors. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

'Parts availability' is often a convenient excuse used by transit agencies that don't want to spend money on older buses.  There are multiple examples of cities which kept transit buses in service for decades after those models were retired elsewhere (Altoona's GM New Looks and Minot, North Dakota's AM General's being two notable examples).  Aftermarket parts is a very profitable business and New Flyer likely still has LFR parts available. There is also the option to buy retired buses from other agencies as parts donors. 

I also believe they should still have parts available for LFA buses.

On 3/16/2021 at 2:47 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Tics can only be housed at Northern, Shepherd Parkway, Montgomery, Bladensburg, and Andrews. I believe Cinder Bed too but I'm not sure.  The Orion VII CNGs are still out as 3007 was out yesterday

Orion VII OG CNG #3007 is still in service out of Bladensburg depot. Saw it on the U4 late sunday afternoon.

7 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Orion VII OG CNG #3007 is still in service out of Bladensburg depot. Saw it on the U4 late sunday afternoon.

It looks like 3004,, 3007, and 3009 remains in service. Not sure about 3006, 3007. Also not sure about the remaining NABI 60s. Anyone know if any are in service?

On 3/30/2021 at 8:06 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

It looks like 3004,, 3007, and 3009 remains in service. Not sure about 3006, 3007. Also not sure about the remaining NABI 60s. Anyone know if any are in service?

This is unconfirmed, but according to the facebook group, 75 more XD40s and 25 additional XN40s are due for 2022 and an additional 100 XD40s are due in 2023.

On 3/30/2021 at 8:06 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Someone caught a pic of one in service on the X2 a couple of weeks ago, but at this point, I'd be surprised if another one even enters service again. 

55 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Someone caught a pic of one in service on the X2 a couple of weeks ago, but at this point, I'd be surprised if another one even enters service again. 

they probably sidelined now since they're mainly using the XDE60s now.

7 hours ago, Chris.A said:

This is unconfirmed, but according to the facebook group, 75 more XD40s and 25 additional XN40s are due for 2022 and an additional 100 XD40s are due in 2023.

Yeah those are right. Not sure if we're getting anymore artics yet however.

All of Montgomery's XD60s have all entered service (5500-5525). The remaining XD60s (5526-5541) are still yet to enter service but I'm hearing they might split them between Bladensburg and Shepherd Parkway. I'm guessing because the DE60LFAs and NABI 60 BRTs are retiring, they'll send those there. I'm also thinking the NABI 60s are done for as there aren't any active as of lately unless they're used as a reserve fleet. As for DE60LFAs, I believe the 10 units at Shepherd Parkway (5432-5435, 5437-5440, 5442-5443) are the only ones active right now as the ones at Montgomery have either retired, are sidelined, or just used as a reserve fleet. I don't got status updates on the rest except 5431, 5441, 5444, 5448, 5449, and 5451 which are all retired.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 7:36 AM, Chris.A said:

What is the Facebook group? I would like to join if I haven't.

19 minutes ago, BroncoFan623 said:

What is the Facebook group? I would like to join if I haven't.

The ones I'm in they're called DC, MD, VA Area TransitDMV Transit Group, and DMV Transit Hub. There a lot of news and pics for new buses and railcars plus some other photos.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 9:45 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

This morning a Ride-On bus caught fire between Georgia Avenue and Randolph Road. Not sure what number but hopefully everyone fine. Presumed it a bus from Silver Spring garage. 

An update regarding this: I think the bus was 5091 which is one of the 2014 Gilligs. Its currently parked at Gathersburg garage. Here’s pics of 5091 at Gathersburg taken by Brayden Bachlott on Facebook

3DBAE8EB-54BE-4D35-B21F-3ABABE4D58B6.jpeg

2E745665-2E6C-4A03-8726-43DE6CDC4F58.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2021 at 5:49 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

An update regarding this: I think the bus was 5091 which is one of the 2014 Gilligs. Its currently parked at Gathersburg garage. Here’s pics of 5091 at Gathersburg taken by Brayden Bachlott on Facebook

3DBAE8EB-54BE-4D35-B21F-3ABABE4D58B6.jpeg

2E745665-2E6C-4A03-8726-43DE6CDC4F58.jpeg

Is this one being in accident

On 4/1/2021 at 2:48 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

they probably sidelined now since they're mainly using the XDE60s now.

Yeah those are right. Not sure if we're getting anymore artics yet however.

Are these Articulated orders extended again due to Covid-19 Fallout 

2 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Can't say for sure, not even sure how many buses are left on order.

10 hours ago, JAX Transit 2000 said:

Are these Articulated orders extended again due to Covid-19 Fallout 

WMATA has an option order for 20 XD40s and 10 XD60s per year of the contract order. I hope they get the option order for XD60s but I’m not sure if they will tbh.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 7:46 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

WMATA has an option order for 20 XD40s and 10 XD60s per year of the contract order. I hope they get the option order for XD60s but I’m not sure if they will tbh.

At this point, probably not since we are down 2 depots (Northern and West Ox). Didn't Landover used to have some 1995 NABI 436 Artics? why they stopped using artics?

3 hours ago, Chris.A said:

At this point, probably not since we are down 2 depots (Northern and West Ox). Didn't Landover used to have some 1995 NABI 436 Artics? why they stopped using artics?

I'm not sure, ask the older members that are on Facebook about tics at Landover because I never recalled tics ever being at Landover before.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAX Transit 2000 said:

WMATA Metrobus 2021 New Flyer XD40 #4536

WMATA 4536: 2021 New Flyer XD40 was seen in Breezewood, PA from 3/27/2021 en route to Washington, DC from the New Flyer Plant in Minnesota by dtwtransit of Flickr. 

Bound for CET no doubt. Do we still not have official depot assignments for these buses yet?

Just now, Chris.A said:

Bound for CET no doubt. Do we still not have official depot assignments for these buses yet?

They will be asssigned to wherever they're needed the most. Though I assume these will be assigned to Landover, Montgomery, and anywhere that has the D40LFRs but again we just have to play the waiting game.

5 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

They will be asssigned to wherever they're needed the most. Though I assume these will be assigned to Landover, Montgomery, and anywhere that has the D40LFRs but again we just have to play the waiting game.

Southern Ave depot also have a good amount of LFRs, but I don't know if they are going to give them anymore new buses since they are going to close down in a few years anyway. Hell, I surprised that they got some 2016 XDE40s!

3 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Southern Ave depot also have a good amount of LFRs, but I don't know if they are going to give them anymore new buses since they are going to close down in a few years anyway. Hell, I surprised that they got some 2016 XDE40s!

Southern Ave might stay around a bit longer. Andrews was supposed to be the replacement for Southern Avenue until Northern decided to fall apart. I think WMATA will rebuild Bladensburg and Northern first before closing Southern Avenue unless another doomsday cuts were to happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Southern Ave might stay around a bit longer. Andrews was supposed to be the replacement for Southern Avenue until Northern decided to fall apart. I think WMATA will rebuild Bladensburg and Northern first before closing Southern Avenue unless another doomsday cuts were to happen. 

Isn't Four Mile Run also slated to be rebuilt in the coming years?

4 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Isn't Four Mile Run also slated to be rebuilt in the coming years?

Not sure when yet. They should be eventually including Landover, Montgomery, and Western.

also, WMATA has approved its operating budget for FY2022. Trains will maintain its current frequency for right now (probably until ridership picks up again) with no turn backs or closures. Funding will also be included for Silver Line Phase II extension and the new Potomac Yard station.

For bus service, 34 lines will be getting service up to 2 AM daily which will be the 1A, 7A, 10A, 16E, 23B, 28A, 32/36, 33, 38B, 52, 70, 80, 92, A6/A8, A12, C4, D12, F4, G8, H4, J2, K6, L2, P6, P12, S2, T18, U5, V2/V4, W2, W4, X2, Y2, and Z8. Six lines will restore full service, four lines will get partial restoration or combined with other routes, 10 lines will restore weekend service. Also Fairfax Connector will officially take over the 3A, 3T, 15K, 29C, and 29W this summer. 

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/FY2022-Board-finance-and-capital-committee-approves-budget.cfm?fbclid=IwAR20Lc8t5oRyJO-B2Mcb0SZQlplYzQfPSE1adtxiDTNQubVRuYmxYnFIoP0&fbclid=IwAR20Lc8t5oRyJO-B2Mcb0SZQlplYzQfPSE1adtxiDTNQubVRuYmxYnFIoP0