WMATA Washington

DCAreaTransitFan

On 1/15/2021 at 3:59 PM, Amaryah Johnson said:

Wednesday, December 27, 2017. 15:53 pm - 16:45 pm.

Federal Triangle, Washington DC - Silver Spring Station, Maryland.

The first time, I went to ride the bus and passengers, it was so pretty, nice comfortable full 61 seating and I like that bus! WMATA S4 (5475) XDE60 way to Silver Spring Station via 16th St NW. The outside it was just too very coldest between 20 to 30 degrees F and -6 to -1 degree C in DC Area. 2015 Bus.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Washington_Metropolitan_Area_Transit_Authority_5460-5480

IMG_3726.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3729.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_3733.JPG

IMG_3734.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

IMG_3736.JPG

IMG_3737.JPG

IMG_3738.JPG

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3740.JPG

@DCTransitFilms, Hi, good afternoon, if you can upload my picture the input CPTDB Wiki list for required. Please, do you like best one bus my picture for rt. S4 (5475) XDE60 also expect label a copy the date: Wednesday, December 27, 2017. 15:53 pm. This place Federal Triangle, Washington DC. For your update, please? Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amaryah Johnson said:

@DCTransitFilms, Hi, good afternoon, if you can upload my picture the input CPTDB Wiki list for required. Please, do you like best one bus my picture for rt. S4 (5475) XDE60 also expect label a copy the date: Wednesday, December 27, 2017. 15:53 pm. This place Federal Triangle, Washington DC. For your update, please? Thank you.

Done. I uploaded only the first picture. Do you want the second pic uploaded too?

• Like 1

WMATA has selected Hensel Phelps and Stantec to build its new heavy maintenance facility between Landover and New Carrollton stations. The faculty will serve railcars and maintenance vehicles which will hold up to 40 rail cars for storage bays and an additional 24 cars on storage tracks. The project will be open in the fourth quarter of 2024. 

https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/maintenance/press-release/21211590/stantec-consulting-wmata-selects-hensel-phelpsstantec-team-to-build-hro-facility?fbclid=IwAR3b-5nnT7DajPdh2zqNB41npP_ATYQtun7qUmRp4wimNwQut4WQd4JOtI0

11 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

WMATA has selected Hensel Phelps and Stantec to build its new heavy maintenance facility between Landover and New Carrollton stations. The faculty will serve railcars and maintenance vehicles which will hold up to 40 rail cars for storage bays and an additional 24 cars on storage tracks. The project will be open in the fourth quarter of 2024. 

https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/maintenance/press-release/21211590/stantec-consulting-wmata-selects-hensel-phelpsstantec-team-to-build-hro-facility?fbclid=IwAR3b-5nnT7DajPdh2zqNB41npP_ATYQtun7qUmRp4wimNwQut4WQd4JOtI0

Isn't there supposed to be another railyard on the Silverline on the VA side near Dulles? I'd assume these new yards will in the the fleet expansion of Metrorail.

3 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Isn't there supposed to be another railyard on the Silverline on the VA side near Dulles? I'd assume these new yards will in the the fleet expansion of Metrorail.

Yeah Dulles Airport Yard is gonna be handling Silver Line operations and will also be a heavy maintenance facility like Greenbelt and Brentwood Yard. Landover will be major repairs and overhauls but unsure if they’ll also do service inspection and maintenance but possibly will. And it will definitely help for fleet expansion.

On 2/25/2021 at 12:04 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Yeah Dulles Airport Yard is gonna be handling Silver Line operations and will also be a heavy maintenance facility like Greenbelt and Brentwood Yard. Landover will be major repairs and overhauls but unsure if they’ll also do service inspection and maintenance but possibly will. And it will definitely help for fleet expansion.

If these service cuts materialize, do you think any bus orders will be cancelled? What about the upcoming 8000 series rail cars? I can see Metro still taking the 100 new XD40s, but everything else may get delayed, if not cancelled. Additionally, aside from West Ox, other garages could possibly close too:

Cinder Bed : (could also go to Fairfax connector, after which they can close down their Lorton garage)

Southern Ave : (Their remaining lines can transfer over to Sheppard's parkway and/or Four Mile Run)

Western : ( Their routes could be shifted over to Andrew's Medical Center and/or Four Mile Run).

5 hours ago, Chris.A said:

If these service cuts materialize, do you think any bus orders will be cancelled? What about the upcoming 8000 series rail cars? I can see Metro still taking the 100 new XD40s, but everything else may get delayed, if not cancelled. Additionally, aside from West Ox, other garages could possibly close too:

Cinder Bed : (could also go to Fairfax connector, after which they can close down their Lorton garage)

Southern Ave : (Their remaining lines can transfer over to Sheppard's parkway and/or Four Mile Run)

Western : ( Their routes could be shifted over to Andrew's Medical Center and/or Four Mile Run).

I don't think Congress will let doomsday cuts happen but they taking a long *** time just to get them. WMATA and other TAs are also negotiating for a new relief bill and presenting these doomsday cuts and scaring them. Already there was a senate bill by Virginia to rename McLean Station as "McLean-Capital One Hall" that'd block funding for WMATA's cuts here but was blocked by Janet Howell recently here. I believe they will get funding as well as other transit agencies but its gonna be a long shot. If Doomsday cuts were to happen, they'd definitely replace all pre 2008 buses, maybe close Southern Avenue as well, and sideline all legacy fleet. I don't think Cinder Bed and Western will close since Cinder Bed would probably get some of Royal Street former routes that are sticking around and Western has a decent amount of lines still. They just better hope Congress wakes up or WMATA will go broke in a year or two.

5 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I don't think Congress will let doomsday cuts happen but they taking a long *** time just to get them. WMATA and other TAs are also negotiating for a new relief bill and presenting these doomsday cuts and scaring them. Already there was a senate bill by Virginia to rename McLean Station as "McLean-Capital One Hall" that'd block funding for WMATA's cuts here but was blocked by Janet Howell recently here. I believe they will get funding as well as other transit agencies but its gonna be a long shot. If Doomsday cuts were to happen, they'd definitely replace all pre 2008 buses, maybe close Southern Avenue as well, and sideline all legacy fleet. I don't think Cinder Bed and Western will close since Cinder Bed would probably get some of Royal Street former routes that are sticking around and Western has a decent amount of lines still. They just better hope Congress wakes up or WMATA will go broke in a year or two.

I honestly think that fleetwise, if these cuts happen, all buses built before 2010 will be retired or sold off to other area agencies. Like I wouldn't be surprised if WMATA gave FFC in particular all their remain 2012 Orion VII EPA10 buses along with maybe their DE37LFAs and a number of 2009 DE42LFAs, assuming FFC is going to have some kind of massive fleet growth to fill in the void left behind on the Metro side of things. In terms of routes, alot of Royal street lines will get axed. Most of the 17s and 18s would be history as would anything on the 29 outside of the 29K and maybe 29N (though I would suspect that only the 29N would eventually remain since nobody is going to colleges anymore).

38 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

I honestly think that fleetwise, if these cuts happen, all buses built before 2010 will be retired or sold off to other area agencies. Like I wouldn't be surprised if WMATA gave FFC in particular all their remain 2012 Orion VII EPA10 buses along with maybe their DE37LFAs and a number of 2009 DE42LFAs, assuming FFC is going to have some kind of massive fleet growth to fill in the void left behind on the Metro side of things. In terms of routes, alot of Royal street lines will get axed. Most of the 17s and 18s would be history as would anything on the 29 outside of the 29K and maybe 29N (though I would suspect that only the 29N would eventually remain since nobody is going to colleges anymore).

most likely. Ik the Biden administration has a $1.9 trillion COVID relief bill passed but unsure if theres funding for TAs

11 hours ago, Chris.A said:

I know, but just in case. This plan would be for I assume 41 bus lines?

Yeah like 40ish bus lines listed here :

On 2/20/2021 at 10:00 AM, DCTransitFilms said:

Here are the proposed FY2022 changes. Service will be added between July and December 2021 but will be removed in January 2022 if we got no federal funding if Congress decided to not to get off their ***. Link to system wide changes are down below. 

https://www.wmata.com/initiatives/budget/

most lines are reroutes in order to replace other services in case we don't get funding. some routes are also retained from the original plan as well (C8, C21/C22/C26/C29, F14, E2, E4, U7 as examples). but i do believe we will get funding for this again as senators just recently announce a bill to fund WMATA for another 10 years here:

https://transportationtodaynews.com/news/21575-senators-announce-bill-to-renew-federal-funding-for-wmata/

but again, we will have to wait and see

Here’s a proposal from December 2020 that talks about a bus route that will connect Northern Virginia to Montgomery County via I-495 and the American Legion Bridge. A study was conducted following Governors Hogan and Northam to rebuild the American Legion Bridge announced in 2019. Originally, we had a bus route that connected NOVA and Moco between 1998 to 2003 via the I-495 shoulder lanes which were the 14A, 14B, 14C, and 14D connecting Tysons to Montgomery Mall, Bethesda, and Lakeforest. However those routes were eliminated after low ridership and the commute actually being much slower. This might come back in the future especially when riders comeback because connecting into NOVA and Moco is impossible by transit without having to enter DC. Honestly I would like the idea of the revival 14 lines, but this idea won’t happen anytime soon especially the budget shortfall we got right now. 

https://mocoshow.com/blog/proposed-bus-routes-would-connect-moco-with-tysons/

10 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Here’s a proposal from December 2020 that talks about a bus route that will connect Northern Virginia to Montgomery County via I-495 and the American Legion Bridge. A study was conducted following Governors Hogan and Northam to rebuild the American Legion Bridge announced in 2019. Originally, we had a bus route that connected NOVA and Moco between 1998 to 2003 via the I-495 shoulder lanes which were the 14A, 14B, 14C, and 14D connecting Tysons to Montgomery Mall, Bethesda, and Lakeforest. However those routes were eliminated after low ridership and the commute actually being much slower. This might come back in the future especially when riders comeback because connecting into NOVA and Moco is impossible by transit without having to enter DC. Honestly I would like the idea of the revival 14 lines, but this idea won’t happen anytime soon especially the budget shortfall we got right now. 

https://mocoshow.com/blog/proposed-bus-routes-would-connect-moco-with-tysons/

I mean if there is money to be made and good funding behind it, this plan could be done. However, with the closure of West Ox one week away, I could seriously see Fairfax Connector or Ride On doing this service.

11 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Here’s a proposal from December 2020 that talks about a bus route that will connect Northern Virginia to Montgomery County via I-495 and the American Legion Bridge. A study was conducted following Governors Hogan and Northam to rebuild the American Legion Bridge announced in 2019. Originally, we had a bus route that connected NOVA and Moco between 1998 to 2003 via the I-495 shoulder lanes

This is the missing link in DMV transit. NoVa and MoCo are robust areas with growing jobs and residents -- the fact that they're not connected is crazy.

I remember the 14-line SmartMover. I rode it on two occasions (2000, 2002) and was surprised by the low ridership.

Since then, suburb-to-suburb transit options have become more viable. I'm thinking of Fairfax Connector routes from Springfield, Burke area to Tysons. They've managed to develop ridership.

Metro can learn from these successes and deploy NoVa-MoCo service more effectively.

43 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

However, with the closure of West Ox one week away, I could seriously see Fairfax Connector or Ride On doing this service.

No chance.

Longer, cross-jurisdictional services are WMATA's strength. The local providers are not interested in operating this kind of service. It's complex and it's expensive.

A NoVa-MoCo route would see usage in both directions. Nonetheless, I'd say the majority of residents are on the Maryland side, and the majority of jobs on the Virginia side. As such, it'd make perfect sense to run this service out of Montgomery division.

I can see a branch of the line that goes to Ballston or even Pentagon/Crystal City. In that case, Four Mile Run could get in on the action, too.

I think ya'll are reading too much into the closure of West Ox. It's not "the beginning of the end" for Metrobus. It's simply a realignment of capacity based on where the service is.

7 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

This is the missing link in DMV transit. NoVa and MoCo are robust areas with growing jobs and residents -- the fact that they're not connected is crazy.

I remember the 14-line SmartMover. I rode it on two occasions (2000, 2002) and was surprised by the low ridership.

Since then, suburb-to-suburb transit options have become more viable. I'm thinking of Fairfax Connector routes from Springfield, Burke area to Tysons. They've managed to develop ridership.

Metro can learn from these successes and deploy NoVa-MoCo service more effectively.

No chance.

Longer, cross-jurisdictional services are WMATA's strength. The local providers are not interested in operating this kind of service. It's complex and it's expensive.

A NoVa-MoCo route would see usage in both directions. Nonetheless, I'd say the majority of residents are on the Maryland side, and the majority of jobs on the Virginia side. As such, it'd make perfect sense to run this service out of Montgomery division.

I can see a branch of the line that goes to Ballston or even Pentagon/Crystal City. In that case, Four Mile Run could get in on the action, too.

I think ya'll are reading too much into the closure of West Ox. It's not "the beginning of the end" for Metrobus. It's simply a realignment of capacity based on where the service is.

8 hours ago, Chris.A said:

I mean if there is money to be made and good funding behind it, this plan could be done. However, with the closure of West Ox one week away, I could seriously see Fairfax Connector or Ride On doing this service.

The 14A and 14B operated between Bethesda station and Tysons Westpark with the 14B serving Medical Center, 14C and 14D went Tysons to Lakeforrest via Montgomery Mall and Rock Springs Park with the 14C operating to Route 124 Park & Ride. They had branded Orion Vs in the 4400s (at least 4401-4406) in suburban configuration for these routes that operated out of Montgomery. A pic of 4403 on Oren's Transit Page (https://orenstransitpage.com/transit-photography/united-states/washington-dc/wmata/wmata-metrobus-1997-orion-v-buses/) shows the branding of the bus if you scroll down a few. This is an archived schedule of the 14 lines as of their final 2003 schedule:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030812045833/http://www.wmata.com/timetables/va/14.pdf

I can see why those routes were eliminated long ago. Back then, a link between NOVA and MoCo wasn't profitable since there was very low demand since development around the area hasn't started yet. It can also explain why the old B11 (Bethesda Reverse Commute Line) was also eliminated at the same time as the 14 lines except that route mainly overlapped multiple lines. In recent years, development has been going on between the two places which is why this study is coming back up especially with the American Legion Bridge project and adding tolls to the I-495. I could see the 14A and 14B be revived only tbh I won't see the 14C or 14D coming back. But again, it all depends how current situations are and what it will be like in a few years. I could see a route go from MoCo to Ballston/Pentagon but at the same time it feels unlikely and I believe Tysons to Bethesda would work.

• Thanks 1