WMATA Washington

DCAreaTransitFan

DASH's XD35s are now on the move. Spotted #515 working the AT 3-4 at Braddock road Metro while on a Blue line shuttle bus (#2655 CNG)

BTW the depots behind the shuttle work were:

Bladensburg: XN40s

Northern : XDE40s

Western: DE42LFAs (express)

Four Mile Run: Orion VII OG CNGs (express)

Landover : XDE40s ( 2016's)

Sheppard's Parkway: DE42LFAs (express), Nabi BRT 42 hybrids.

On 2/26/2019 at 5:05 PM, Chris.A said:

Yep #7100 looks like a goner. Won't that be like the 2nd or 3rd WMATA Xcelsior to be written off?

None have been scrapped, but there are a few with rather severe damage at CET that may or may not ever return to service.

On 2/26/2019 at 5:05 PM, Chris.A said:

Also, are all of #3001-3035  now at Bladensburg? I never see those baby Orion VII OG CNGs anymore @ FMR depot routes.

I think there are still a few at FMR, but most of theirs were moved to Bladensburg last year.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:04 PM, Chris.A said:

Why are they retiring these buses?

These buses are being retired because a) they are old enough to be considered for retirement (they are all at least 12 years old), and b) new buses have been delivered to replace them.

1 hour ago, WMATAC40LF said:

None have been scrapped, but there are a few with rather severe damage at CET that may or may not ever return to service.

I think there are still a few at FMR, but most of theirs were moved to Bladensburg last year.

These buses are being retired because a) they are old enough to be considered for retirement (they are all at least 12 years old), and b) new buses have been delivered to replace them.

Nevermind, I saw a 30XX driving around the depot yesterday.

Actually, I believe there are 3 XN40 OOS currently for various incidents. #3112 from that tree falling on it and a couple of 2015-2016 XN40s.

44 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

Nevermind, I saw a 30XX driving around the depot yesterday.

Actually, I believe there are 3 XN40 OOS currently for various incidents. #3112 from that tree falling on it and a couple of 2015-2016 XN40s.

There are still a few at FMR, and I'd recommend using transsee.ca to search for vehicles by fleet numbers.

There are also a couple of XDE40s and an XDE60 OOS right now. 

PRTC Omniride 2008 MCI D4500 CT #377 has been overhauled and repainted in the "NEW" scheme. I thought it was one of the new CTs at first until I saw the older headlights on it. More older CTs (and possibly a few CLs as well) will be getting the new PRTC scheme in the coming months.

On 3/3/2019 at 5:54 PM, WMATAC40LF said:

There are still a few at FMR, and I'd recommend using transsee.ca to search for vehicles by fleet numbers.

Yeah, saw #3019 parked in the depot in Saturday afternoon. 

Forgot to post this yesterday, but I finally was able to ride one of the new Omniride D4500CTs and I must say, they are VERY nice buses! They even come with Seatbelts, which is a first for this bus system! I wonder if Loudoun County Transit's newest MCIs have this feature as well, for their fleet is very similar to PRTC's. 

Saw 2005 Orion VII OG CNG #2615 on the 8W today.

Couple of things. First, DASH's new XD35s are out in full force. Saw 2 or 3 of them yesterday #521 in particular was on the AT9 at NOVA. The second thing is, WMATA metrobus's #3200 series CNGs are now coming into service. so far #3200-3212 is assigned to Bladensburg depot which is kinda surprising actually. I was thinking that they would send #3200-3249 to Four Mile Run will Bladensburg get #3250-3274. I suppose Bladensburg might get #3200-3224 and FMR gets the rest. 

On 12/20/2018 at 12:47 PM, Orion6025 said:

Does anyone have a list of the WMATA route-depot assignments? Wikipedia has one but i question whether it's still accurate.

On 11/27/2018 at 11:21 PM, vvozz said:

6301 and 6317 are the training buses for Cinder Bed. I believe from the contract info I read on wmata's site 6301-6365 will be assigned there but some 30 FT Orion 7's 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2822 said:

Will the Orion V's still be running in mid August?. Also how many Dash Orion V's should still be around in August?. 

Thanks.

I doubt the Metro Orion Vs will still be around by then, but DASH's 2008 Orion V buses should certainly still be here (and maybe some of their 2004 Orion Vs as well).

Well, rode my first Proterra BE40 Catalyst yesterday ( DC Circulator #3012 on the Georgetown line ) and I must say, these electric buses are a little nosier than I'd thought they would be(not like a WMATA 2100-2200 Orion V or anything like that, just not totally quiet either ). Also 2016 XN40 #2965 is back at FMR depot. Saw it running on the 16H yesterday evening, so I assume that #2966-2972 are also back or are coming back along with possibly others (perhaps the #3200s are displacing the #2900s back to VA). Also, a brand new WMATA 2019 New Flyer XD40 was spotted (not by me) at the CET storage facility `yesterday. These buses will be numbered #4450-4474 and the 2020 units will be #4475-4499. These will wipeout the remaining Orion Vs so depending on when these buses enter service (probably by June) and where the majority of the remaining 2000 Orion Vs are assigned, they will go to that depot.

• Like 1

Drove by FMR depot yesterday and a few 2006 Orion VII OG CNGs are starting to be prepped for retirement. Units #2617, #2656, #2660, and a couple other units have notes on their windshields. A couple of buses have their tank covers open too. Also #3019 is being used as an employee shuttle apparently, so I guess it is retired from regular service (Almost like MTA's "Swing" buses).

After not riding one (outside of DASH bus) in over a year, I finally caught a WMATA Metrobus Orion V today! #2152 was working the G8 and boy what a ride it was! Miss hearing that Detroit Diesel Series 50 EGR engine. Saw several other Metro Orion Vs as well such as #2164, #2172, #2197, and 2 others that I didn't get numbers from. Also, the 2019 XN40 order is really starting to pick up, for the highest one in service at Bladensburg (that I've seen at least) was #3225 working on the 80. Meanwhile, Orion 7 #2528 is still trucking along as one of the last 2005 CNGs in service, doing the G9 earlier. 

Lastly, does anyone know the status of the 2008 NABI BRT 60 CNGs? I accidently reported on one being back in service back in February, but that turned out to be false. Are these buses retired, what was the issue with them?

On 4/5/2019 at 8:17 PM, Chris.A said:

Well, rode my first Proterra BE40 Catalyst yesterday ( DC Circulator #3012 on the Georgetown line ) and I must say, these electric buses are a little nosier than I'd thought they would be(not like a WMATA 2100-2200 Orion V or anything like that, just not totally quiet either ). Also 2016 XN40 #2965 is back at FMR depot. Saw it running on the 16H yesterday evening, so I assume that #2966-2972 are also back or are coming back along with possibly others (perhaps the #3200s are displacing the #2900s back to VA). Also, a brand new WMATA 2019 New Flyer XD40 was spotted (not by me) at the CET storage facility `yesterday. These buses will be numbered #4450-4474 and the 2020 units will be #4475-4499. These will wipeout the remaining Orion Vs so depending on when these buses enter service (probably by June) and where the majority of the remaining 2000 Orion Vs are assigned, they will go to that depot.

I am hearing that Landover and/or Montgomery could get the XD40s, but time will tell. It sucks how they ordered them with windows that don't open! 

38 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

After not riding one (outside of DASH bus) in over a year, I finally caught a WMATA Metrobus Orion V today! #2152 was working the G8 and boy what a ride it was! Miss hearing that Detroit Diesel Series 50 EGR engine. Saw several other Metro Orion Vs as well such as #2164, #2172, #2197, and 2 others that I didn't get numbers from. Also, the 2019 XN40 order is really starting to pick up, for the highest one in service at Bladensburg (that I've seen at least) was #3225 working on the 80. Meanwhile, Orion 7 #2528 is still trucking along as one of the last 2005 CNGs in service, doing the G9 earlier. 

Lastly, does anyone know the status of the 2008 NABI BRT 60 CNGs? I accidently reported on one being back in service back in February, but that turned out to be false. Are these buses retired, what was the issue with them?

They've got deliveries into at least the high 3230s. 3235 crashed into a ditch on I70 while it was being delivered, so it will probably need some work before entering service.

The 2008 NABIs have not yet been retired, but they are all stored (and could be brought back into service if necessary). There are a wide variety of rumors going around about what's wrong with them, but I won't speculate as to what the actual reason may be. 

9 hours ago, WMATAC40LF said:

I am hearing that Landover and/or Montgomery could get the XD40s, but time will tell. It sucks how they ordered them with windows that don't open! 

They've got deliveries into at least the high 3230s. 3235 crashed into a ditch on I70 while it was being delivered, so it will probably need some work before entering service.

The 2008 NABIs have not yet been retired, but they are all stored (and could be brought back into service if necessary). There are a wide variety of rumors going around about what's wrong with them, but I won't speculate as to what the actual reason may be. 

9 hours ago, WMATAC40LF said:

Did they really order buses with non-working windows? Not even the top part opens? That's so dumb, why would they even do that, especially since the Spring and Summer in D.C. tends to be hell. As for #3235, that's not the first time I heard a brand new New Flyer CNG getting into an accident while being delivered. Years ago (early 2012 IIRC) when MTA NYCTA were getting the new C40LFs, bus #297 had a wreck around the Chicago land area and had to be sent back for repairs. Are all the #3200s Bladensburg bound?  

Just a fleet update. WMATA has exactly 100 40ft Orion VII OG CNGs left in service and all 35 30 ft Orion VII OG CNGs left, making a total of 135 Orion CNGs remaining in service. All 2005 Orion VII OG CNGs have been retired at this point except for #2528 and #2603 (both assigned to Bladensburg depot). So that means that #2600-2602 and #2604-2615 are all retired now and are off the roster. #2620 is the oldest bus assigned to FMR as #2617-2619 are also written off, but it would appear that #2647 is back in service as it was previously reported as retired. 

As for the remaining 2000 Orion V diesels, exactly 31 units remain in service systemwide (there could very well be more in storage at CET, but I'm only counting the ones on wiki), not among them surprisingly is #2105, #2122, and #2225 and those are all presumed scrapped. 19 buses are assigned to Bladensburg (including #2152 which I rode yesterday), 8 to Montgomery, and 4 remain at Sheppard's Parkway.

Lastly, West Ox depot had lost an XDE40, #7203 is now assigned to Northern depot for some reason. 

• Thanks 1