General BC Transit Discussion

Spotted at Big Rig Collison in Calgary are 4, possibly 5 BC Transit D40LF's. Thought I saw #9886 there, but it had an Air conditioning unit and the third digit in the fleet number was a bit hard to read so I am thinking more than like this bus is actually 9836. The other BCT D40LF's did not have fleet numbers on them.

I think they went to Alberta to be sold, why would they truck them out of province for a refurb.? does that make sense? Would they do that?

WHAT!?! Why would BCT be selling off 1998 D40LF's when they are running many older D40LF's built from 1991 to 1997! That doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe Calgary bought 'em and we are about to retire all the Fishbowls! Who knows... I really can't see them selling them off.

Didn't FSJ get Novas?

Chris Cassidy

I think someone mentioned in the Yahoo Group that the other ex-Chilliwack '98 D40LF went to FSJ.

I originally thought they would get T-Drives, but I'm 99% sure they don't have any...9319-9335, 9339, 9342, 9345, 9347, 9354-9433 are all in Victoria with the balance split between Penticton and Nelson. 9365, 9374, 9405 and 9410 are the only ones I haven't seen, but likely Victoriabound and a browse through FSJ Council minutes indicates they did not take on any additional costs for the transit system this year.

Although...Nanaimo has 6 '06's and there are 6 '07's between Nanaimo and Abby that may have been moved? Haven't been to Nanaimo in around a year but if FSJ did get Novas, such a move seems plausible if Victoria starts unloading more D40LFs on Nanaimo again, and I believe FSJ had 4 Orions and 2 Darts, so it would make for a one to one swap.

This is all speculation, but if they were to switch 9265 and 9266 in Abby with 9288 and 9289 from Nanaimo and send 9222, 9224-9228 to FSJ (or somewhere else) in exchange for Victoria D40LF's, that would make Nanaimo all '07 Nova, Abbotsford all '08, Kamloops all '06, Victoria all '09, Kelowna and PG all '07/'08's etc etc which I can assume BCT wants all fleets to be as homogeneous as possible from how they've been talking.

There are still orphans/small fleet sets in Kelowna, Nanaimo, Trail, and Abbotsford and probably elsewhere, plus high floors in Trail and Williams Lake that to the *best of my knowledge* have not been dealt with yet, but according to BCT's 2009-10 Annual report the full fleet realignment plan won't be complete until sometime in 2011.

Who knows? ^_^

I think they went to Alberta to be sold, why would they truck them out of province for a refurb.? does that make sense? Would they do that?

Both Saskatoon and Regina sent buses to Calgary for refurb.

Edmonton and Calgary have sent buses Ontario for refurb.

Red Deer sent their GM's to Ontario as well to be rebuilt.

Hell, there was even a bus from Baltimore sent up to Calgary for refurb.

It certainly isn't unheard of, and indeed, is rather common to send buses out of province for work.

Would be absolutely awesome if Calgary got some BCT D40LFs. They run so nicely with the Voith Transmissions. I highly doubt that though. Sigh...

Agreed.....

Hmm, so if the 1998 D40LFs are being refurbished, could all older D40LFs be slated for retirement?

I should have mentioned earlier that I was not even sure if the other BCT D40LF's were 9800's except for 9836. They could very well be 8000's, 8100's, or 9700's.

Agreed.....I should have mentioned earlier that I was not even sure if the other BCT D40LF's were 9800's except for 9836. They could very well be 8000's, 8100's, or 9700's.

Well I didn't know of the common practice of sending buses out for refurb work although it would make sense if they are going up North after.

I've been told one D40LF went to FTSJ and one went to Calgary, they're both gone from here so I'm not too sure.

S.

Would be absolutely awesome if Calgary got some BCT D40LFs. They run so nicely with the Voith Transmissions. I highly doubt that though. Sigh...

Hmm, so if the 1998 D40LFs are being refurbished, could all older D40LFs be slated for retirement?

The earliest ones (1991-1993) definitely are. The ones I'm not sure about are the '94s and '95s. At least one of the '94s got rebuilt in the past year, so what I figure they might plan to do is rebuild the best ones and retire the worst ones (once most of the '98s have been rebuilt and are good to go for another 10 years or so), that way the retirees can also become parts donors.

BCT heavy maintenance in Victoria was churning out rebuilt '98s at a pretty brisk pace in the first half of this year, I lost track of rebuilds over the summer as I was away overseas, but I wouldn't be surprised if when I visit Victoria next week I find a bunch more D40LFs in the new scheme. Where the problem lies right now is getting the unrebuilt units out of the small communities, which I think is the reason behind sending them to Calgary. It reduces the amount of time the smaller systems have to make do with loaners from Victoria or from the reserve fleet (see the posts in the Kamloops thread about how two non-A/C D40LFs were relocated there from Victoria).

• 2 months later...

I have no idea what has been done to the Sunshine Coast D40LF's headlights but they are the brightest low beam lights I have ever seen on a vehicle. Take a look if you're over there. Saw it on the 8091 and 8093... although I am using my memory for the bus numbers so may be off a bit <G>

It could be, but they are really bright for LEDs. I almost inclined to think they're halogen, but that's illegal so it seemed doubtful. I passed buses between 4 and 5pm with the sun still up and they were almost blinding.

It could be, but they are really bright for LEDs. I almost inclined to think they're halogen, but that's illegal so it seemed doubtful. I passed buses between 4 and 5pm with the sun still up and they were almost blinding.

90% of automotive headlights are halogen. I wonder if they were high intensity discharge?

• 2 years later...

So I was driving a Greyhound trip on schedule 5042 from Vancouver to Cache Creek yesterday. Not an unusual situation to be sure. However I was surprised when I crossed the bridge and entered Spence's Bridge during a single lane alternating construction project and found a low bed semi hauling a 35 foot Dennis Dart waiting for his/her turn to cross the bridge. I'm guessing she was Victoria bound. It looks like she had been parked for quite some time. The windshield was SO caked in dust and dirt. Unit number was 9090.

So I was driving a Greyhound trip on schedule 5042 from Vancouver to Cache Creek yesterday. Not an unusual situation to be sure. However I was surprised when I crossed the bridge and entered Spence's Bridge during a single lane alternating construction project and found a low bed semi hauling a 35 foot Dennis Dart waiting for his/her turn to cross the bridge. I'm guessing she was Victoria bound. It looks like she had been parked for quite some time. The windshield was SO caked in dust and dirt. Unit number was 9090.

Hmmm... that unit was last reported working in Prince Rupert to my memory, though on Taylor Noonan's site it says it was transferred to Fort St. John about a year ago. Wonder what will happen to it now?

• Like 1

Is this Dennis Dart in the new livery?