Greyhound in the news

A. Wong

Why don't the government agency's build bus stations, in the manner of New York's Port Authority Bus Terminal, or Boston's South Station?  When they are so eager to build state of the art airport's?  Rhetorical question, as I believe we know the answer to that...the bus passenger' have no political clout.   They are just forgotten about.

Back in the regulated days, bus carrier's were protected from cutthroat competition on their routes, and in return were obligated to "cross subsidize" their weaker routes with their strong routes, with no subsidies.   In a few cases, the regulators would permit a competing carrier, usually with a small deviation between the two routes, which meant service to places that would not even otherwise get it.  And when super highways were built, sometimes both carrier's would be allowed to deviate some trips over the new road.

Fares were based on mileage, not supply and demand.  Carrier's had identical fares, and could only compete on equipment and/or amenities provided.  Say what you want about regulated versus deregulated service, but in regulated service, as was mentioned above, the Official Bus Guide was as thick as a Manhattan phone book, Greyhound was opening a major new terminal every month somewhere for a period in the mid twentieth century, the Greyhound driver was considered the most prestigious professional driving job in the world and paid accordingly, and most highly qualified only candidates were recruited.  In addition, the business provided decent wages for a whole range of support personnel in terminals and garages.

Back then, one could check their baggage from their origin all the way to their destination, without having to worry about transferring it themselves.  

Yes, I do miss that era...

9 hours ago, Rapidbus said:

I believe Greyhound went down this rabbit hole long before Flix came into the picture...

I mean Boise, ID, they moved way out of downtown to Flying J's where public transportation doesn't even go there at the time of day they stop there.

Same deal with Saskatoon, gas station way out of town. Both cases station are close to the highway, which is convenient for the bus, but absolutely horrible for the passenger.

The worst one before the merger was moving the Portland terminal to Union Station curbside.  Where ironically both Flix and Greyhound share now.

Granted none of them were major transfer points, but this disease of moving stops to gas stations outside of town is nothing new, but simply continuing at a steady pace. Greyhound would sell the station building, try to negotiate with the city to get into a transit center or something, if that fails or the city refuses, they will find a gas station that is convenient to them. Hate to say it but they are not the only ones... Jefferson Lines has more gas stations than actual city center terminals

Since terminals were not part of the deal between First and Flix, I am very interested in what will happen when First sells the terminal. Passengers better start getting used to waiting curbside in the cold/in the heat for their transfers/layovers, because unlike Europe no government agency will be building a dedicated intercity bus terminal anytime soon

Greyhound simply cost too much to run. They have too much legacy costs. I heard somewhere that Jefferson Lines need less than half the amount of passengers per bus compared to greyhound to make the bus profitable

The main issue with bus regulations in this day and age is that it is no longer a level playing field. Planes and trains are no longer regulated, so GLI will continue to lose money, and we will be looking at a Canada style of wholesale abandoning of all services instead.

I surely do miss the old days of bus travel, when the Russell guides were as large as a phone book... these days GLI timetables are what? 70 pages?

"But just when I thought that they had bottomed out, apparently they are taking it down to a whole lower level" sigh... I think this way every year about Greyhound... every year. 1990 was the bottom? then 2005 cuts happens... that is the bottom, then more reductions... can't get less than 2/a day right?... Canada shutdown... can't get worse now right? COVID... whats next? Short of service discontinuation

From my experience riding GLI as a passenger, it doesn't seem like Greyhound passengers have a good reputation with gas station owners or even with the city communities. 

Didn't a gas station somewhere, can't remember off the top of my head just kicked Greyhound out , citing the fact that the shoplifting has been out of control?

I mean the vast majority of Greyhound passengers are just your normal law abiding citizens, but I did see my fair shares of fights, and thefts, so it definitely happens.

This negative perception is probably the number one reason some communities/stores want to avoid them, the other is that Greyhound want to stay as close to the highway as possible

Good points about Saskatoon and Boise. Knoxville is one of the first places sold since the merger (March) that they have moved out of. It's also one of the few places (right now anyway) that function as a major transfer point without a terminal or tickets sold on site or anything. On Friday we were admiring a lost bag tagged for Knoxville. It'll never get there now. We have a bus that'll have it there at about 2am every night too directly from Detroit. For what it's worth the cities connected by Knoxville are Detroit to Atlanta and Dallas to Richmond. Detroit is a dead end before you hit Indian Trails. but Atlanta, Dallas and Richmond are major points where people get reshuffled. It shows how important Knoxville really is in the system. For example at 630pm tonight one bus from each route is due in Knoxville where they well no doubt exchange passengers... if they are both on time. The window is only 30 minutes.

Part of the reason Jefferson has so many gas station stops is that it would not be lucrative to have an agent there (you sell 50 tickets a YEAR) or they did have one and figuratively speaking got kicked to the curb by aforementioned gas station because of theft and terrible passengers. It's why I wonder if Flix understood the clientele when they bought it or if First left that part out. Because one thing you have to understand is that many of their driver's aren't great at customer service (some are very good) and they set a really bad tone on their buses and it doesn't go well. The smaller carriers seem to have better equipment and drivers overall and the trips go accordingly. I get lots of "Your buses are so nice... that Greyhound was so ghetto" and "you're an awesome driver, nobody at Greyhound cared where anybody went or if they got off at the right spot". The job isn't THAT hard and most of the passengers (98%) are harmless if you know how to approach and engage with them properly. I sincerely believe Flix views the partner carrier model as similar enough to their own that they will simply piecemeal Greyhound out run by run to the partner carriers maybe with some coaches until there is simply nothing left. Then they can sell tickets under the Greyhound name. All you would really need on the side of the coach is a small sign reading "A Greyhound Partner Company" by the door. Actually the number of people expecting an actual Greyhound bus far away from Greyhound-land is enough that they really should have that already. Sometimes it's the little things.

I remember we had a stop that got relocated from a gas station to a grocery store parking lot but way away from the building. Some fine drug addict passenger tweaking on something ruined that for us. It was a nice spot too. Then we went to a McDonalds with way too tight of a turn to get a 45 foot coach around. More than once at their lunch rush I had to walk inside and make employees move their cars. More than once I lost a half hour messing with it. After that we settled on a Walmart parking lot. But so far away from the store its across the main drive in some sort of semi-truck parking area. None of these places sold tickets mostly because they didn't want to bother with the people and the sales volume would have been good for maybe 6 people a day between 4 buses.

The company I work for still does its fares by mileage, doesn't charge a fee for buying a ticket, has senior and child fares and takes cash fare payments. I don't know if we are a lone holdout on that or not except for the cash fare thing. Nobody seems to do that anymore. But much of that is necessary to keep the state happy with their contracted routes and counter the lack of facilities in the middle of absolute nowhere. I can also take a deposit till the next station and buy their ticket there and I will go inside with them and make sure the agent gets it right. Good luck getting that kind of service out of Greyhound. I also make sure their bags are tagged and have a name and phone number on them. It won't go under my bus without a tag on it. I’m Curious if they were still doing stuff like that out east when traildriver retired. 

By the way the new ending line is no longer "Watch Your Step" it may as well be "Grab your bags, this is not an airplane you must move your bags to your next bus". I will often grab a cart and roll the bags directly to the other bus and put them on if there are a bunch or they need help or what have you. And you know what? I often get tipped for it. Just as often I grab a bag and head inside and give it to them and explain how it works. I've been tipped for that too. If more of Greyhound's drivers did little things like that they would rehab their image.

4 hours ago, traildriver said:

Why don't the government agency's build bus stations, in the manner of New York's Port Authority Bus Terminal, or Boston's South Station?  When they are so eager to build state of the art airport's?  Rhetorical question, as I believe we know the answer to that...the bus passenger' have no political clout.   They are just forgotten about.

Back in the regulated days, bus carrier's were protected from cutthroat competition on their routes, and in return were obligated to "cross subsidize" their weaker routes with their strong routes, with no subsidies.   In a few cases, the regulators would permit a competing carrier, usually with a small deviation between the two routes, which meant service to places that would not even otherwise get it.  And when super highways were built, sometimes both carrier's would be allowed to deviate some trips over the new road.

Fares were based on mileage, not supply and demand.  Carrier's had identical fares, and could only compete on equipment and/or amenities provided.  Say what you want about regulated versus deregulated service, but in regulated service, as was mentioned above, the Official Bus Guide was as thick as a Manhattan phone book, Greyhound was opening a major new terminal every month somewhere for a period in the mid twentieth century, the Greyhound driver was considered the most prestigious professional driving job in the world and paid accordingly, and most highly qualified only candidates were recruited.  In addition, the business provided decent wages for a whole range of support personnel in terminals and garages.

Back then, one could check their baggage from their origin all the way to their destination, without having to worry about transferring it themselves.  

Yes, I do miss that era...

• Like 1

It's always good to know that there are people out there, that have a good strong work ethic, despite the sad state of some company's, and continue to provide excellent performance of their jobs.  

4 hours ago, ns8401 said:

when traildriver retired. 

I did retire from Adirondack in 2017, but after 4 years of retirement, I missed working very much and went back to work last June, this time for Academy, near my new Florida home.😎

Interesting comments?

For pick up and drop off locations, I can't really comment on other places then my home city, but where some what lucky here as Orleans Express, Rider Express, Northland Ontario & Megabus have pick up/drop off(terminal's)that either are right next to a LRT station(VIA Station) or better yet right at a BRT Station which have heated waiting areas(great winters are cold here in Ottawa)and both have lots of public traffic ones even located right next to a major shopping mall.

Flex although has a pick up/drop off right in Downtown Market area it's curb side pick up and the location though right in downtown the area can be sketchy at times with homeless, gangs and other certain issues?

My friend who does Ourbus between Toronto and Buffalo told me for the Buffalo stop (which is Buffalo Airport), Ourbus asked him to get a bus bay at the Downtown Bus Terminal on Ellicott Street since Flixbus stopped there and to run competing service with Greyhound, Adirondack Trailways and Megabus. My friend opposed the the idea stating how the Terminal is frequented by the homeless and Border Patrol which may hurt his bottom line due to the environment of Terminal. My friend opted for Buffalo Airport as he can offer reliable service to Canadians that fly in and out of the Airport and the Airport just built a new expansion with a new waiting area which is much more nicer compared to the Downtown Bus Terminal. As for my friend's Niagara Falls, ON stop, he stops at a Gas Station just off the QEW on McLeod Road. Since operation the Niagara Falls stop has evolved into a Rest Stop since there is a Tim Horton's and McDonald's. Also, it serves passengers going/coming from Welland and Thorold so they don't have to drive into Downtown Niagara Falls. This stop has a Bus Stop for Niagara Falls Transit. It's different compared to where Greyhound goes. As for the Toronto stop, Metrolinx has a $10 Million Third Party amount requirement for Union Station Bus Terminal. The problem is the volunteer insurance market will  only offer $5 Million which makes it difficult to obtain $10 Million of insurance and therefore has to do curbside on York Street and Front Street where the Porter Airlines Shuttle buses stop. When my friend creates new stops, he looks at connections to local transit and what indirect amenities can be offer such his Mississauga stop which is in front of a McDonald's.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

My friend who does Ourbus between Toronto and Buffalo told me for the Buffalo stop (which is Buffalo Airport), Ourbus asked him to get a bus bay at the Downtown Bus Terminal on Ellicott Street since Flixbus stopped there and to run competing service with Greyhound, Adirondack Trailways and Megabus. My friend opposed the the idea stating how the Terminal is frequented by the homeless and Border Patrol which may hurt his bottom line due to the environment of Terminal. My friend opted for Buffalo Airport as he can offer reliable service to Canadians that fly in and out of the Airport and the Airport just built a new expansion with a new waiting area which is much more nicer compared to the Downtown Bus Terminal. As for my friend's Niagara Falls, ON stop, he stops at a Gas Station just off the QEW on McLeod Road. Since operation the Niagara Falls stop has evolved into a Rest Stop since there is a Tim Horton's and McDonald's. Also, it serves passengers going/coming from Welland and Thorold so they don't have to drive into Downtown Niagara Falls. This stop has a Bus Stop for Niagara Falls Transit. It's different compared to where Greyhound goes. As for the Toronto stop, Metrolinx has a $10 Million Third Party amount requirement for Union Station Bus Terminal. The problem is the volunteer insurance market will  only offer $5 Million which makes it difficult to obtain $10 Million of insurance and therefore has to do curbside on York Street and Front Street where the Porter Airlines Shuttle buses stop. When my friend creates new stops, he looks at connections to local transit and what indirect amenities can be offer such his Mississauga stop which is in front of a McDonald's.

Your friend is smart. It’s an entirely different business model though. 

19 hours ago, traildriver said:

It's always good to know that there are people out there, that have a good strong work ethic, despite the sad state of some company's, and continue to provide excellent performance of their jobs.  

I did retire from Adirondack in 2017, but after 4 years of retirement, I missed working very much and went back to work last June, this time for Academy, near my new Florida home.😎

Thanks! Hopefully these anecdotes are somewhat interesting. 

Does academy have a line run operation to speak of or is it all charters down that way? I know they had stuff to do with NJT farther north and that’s it is a huge company.

Also our next article in the Knoxville saga… the local newspaper did an in depth article when one of the papers senior managers was in town from out east and wanted to see this for himself. Quite a bit of detail we didn’t have yet:

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2022/04/25/greyhound-stop-knoxville-gas-station-leaves-riders-elements/7412280001/

Also a decent photo gallery of the conditions:

https://www.knoxnews.com/picture-gallery/news/local/2022/04/25/greyhound-passengers-red-roof-inn-and-marathon/7414147001/

In Alberta I work for a company called Cold Shot Bus and Parcel Service. They started Nov.1/2018 just after Greyhound dropped Ab Service, and they are operating on the Old Greyhound model just in a much different way(Many key former Greyhound agents joined the operation). They do have Agents as they carry parcel express also But have a much better operating system. They operate passengers on only the most profitable routes the rest are Parcels only, The buses are smaller( 13 passenger with cargo area in back or 20 seat with little cargo area, and in the works are new 25 seat buses with a large cargo area in the back)  they  work for the network and they are slowly expanding their presence in Alberta and BC peace country. All passenger runs operate Round Trip from Edmonton with the exception of one Grande Prairie-Fort St John run. Tickets are paperless and through Betterez ticketing platform. The Parcel platform is like night and day compared to Greyhound's.  Alberta made sense for this type of service as it was Greyhound's bread and butter for Parcels.  Cold Shot hopes to expand passenger service to Lethbridge and Medicine Hat in the near future also.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roeco said:

In Alberta I work for a company called Cold Shot Bus and Parcel Service. They started Nov.1/2018 just after Greyhound dropped Ab Service, and they are operating on the Old Greyhound model just in a much different way(Many key former Greyhound agents joined the operation). They do have Agents as they carry parcel express also But have a much better operating system. They operate passengers on only the most profitable routes the rest are Parcels only, The buses are smaller( 13 passenger with cargo area in back or 20 seat with little cargo area, and in the works are new 25 seat buses with a large cargo area in the back)  they  work for the network and they are slowly expanding their presence in Alberta and BC peace country. All passenger runs operate Round Trip from Edmonton with the exception of one Grande Prairie-Fort St John run. Tickets are paperless and through Betterez ticketing platform. The Parcel platform is like night and day compared to Greyhound's.  Alberta made sense for this type of service as it was Greyhound's bread and butter for Parcels.  Cold Shot hopes to expand passenger service to Lethbridge and Medicine Hat in the near future also.

Interesting.  It sounds something like what I hear operates somewhere in Europe (Switzerland, maybe?), where the postal service carries a few passenger's on some mail routes.

Here in the States, GPX was all but eliminated when Fedex came on the scene, and UPS expanded operations.  At one time, GPX was huge.  Some say the original PD-4501 Scenicruiser was primarily designed to vastly increase baggage and express capacity.  Even that was insufficient on long thin routes, where the Scenicruisers were converted into "combo" coaches in their later life, with only 30 or 18 seats, to carry express in the rear, where they cut a freight door on the curb side, and loaded at major terminals with belt loaders.   Even that was not enough prior to Christmas, and packages were carried in all the seats, as well.

13 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Does academy have a line run operation to speak of or is it all charters down that way? I know they had stuff to do with NJT farther north and that’s it is a huge company.

Nothing like our commuter and line runs in and out of New York, nor our Northeast Corridor and Atlantic City line runs.  We do mostly charters, carrying most major sports teams, colleges, university's, public school trips, corporate charters, convention shuttles, cruise ship shuttles, etc.   We also do contract line runs for the Orlando theme parks, and also contract shuttles for senior housing villages, for both residents and employees.  We have terminals in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach (mine), Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville.   

I am currently assigned to Century Village, West Palm Beach, where we do shuttle runs around the village, and to shopping areas.  We have some hand-me-downs ENC's from Mississauga  and from Barrie....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, traildriver said:

I am currently assigned to Century Village, West Palm Beach, where we do shuttle runs around the village, and to shopping areas.  We have some hand-me-downs ENC's from Mississauga  and from Barrie....

Wow, how are those buses working out? In Ontario, we do use some serious liquid salt mixed with other chemicals to prevent the roads from freezing up to -20°C. On the other hand with the currency exchange rate, Academy got them for almost nothing, so it would be worth to get them rebuilt.

A Greyhound driver and a security guard were stabbed by an irate passenger in San Antonio, Texas who was upset his luggage wasn’t there. Turns out he left it somewhere along the way. He was arrested. Both men are stable.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/04/26/bus-driver-security-guard-stabbed-at-downtown-station-over-lost-luggage-sapd-says/

Meanwhile the old Trailways/Greyhound station in Schenectady, New York was demolished recently and now a new multimodal transit hub will go in its place and still serve the carriers:

https://dailygazette.com/2022/04/25/transportation-hub-coming-to-downtown-schenectady-site-of-former-bus-station/

17 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

Wow, how are those buses working out? In Ontario, we do use some serious liquid salt mixed with other chemicals to prevent the roads from freezing up to -20°C. On the other hand with the currency exchange rate, Academy got them for almost nothing, so it would be worth to get them rebuilt.

Well...you get what you pay for...😉

Actually the ones from MiWay are halfway decent for being 13 years old, but the ones from Barrie have a lot of visible corrosion....

On 4/25/2022 at 11:46 PM, traildriver said:

Nothing like our commuter and line runs in and out of New York, nor our Northeast Corridor and Atlantic City line runs.  We do mostly charters, carrying most major sports teams, colleges, university's, public school trips, corporate charters, convention shuttles, cruise ship shuttles, etc.   We also do contract line runs for the Orlando theme parks, and also contract shuttles for senior housing villages, for both residents and employees.  We have terminals in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach (mine), Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville.   

Very nice. With a high of only 45 today  to work in, consider me jealous. 

This whole Knoxville thing has the attention of city leaders now. Several of them had things to say to one of the TV stations. They are now pushing hard to get Greyhound into the city transit center and apparently Greyhound has been receptive:

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/city-leaders-weigh-in-on-knoxvilles-new-greyhound-bus-stop/51-13ecc5d5-9fcd-49c1-97d1-083eb4f8508c

• Like 1

Well the fact that the new owners of GL seem to be pressured by the bad publicity....I'll take that as a positive sign, that they do care somewhat...

My cynical side thinks they purposely created this scenario in order to get a 'sweetheart' deal on use of the Transit Center.   I wonder if the same decision makers that turned down the Transit Center under old management is still there....

4 hours ago, traildriver said:

Well the fact that the new owners of GL seem to be pressured by the bad publicity....I'll take that as a positive sign, that they do care somewhat...

My cynical side thinks they purposely created this scenario in order to get a 'sweetheart' deal on use of the Transit Center.   I wonder if the same decision makers that turned down the Transit Center under old management is still there....

You know… I had the same cynical thought. Flix’s public statements have been that it’s running Greyhound completely separately which I read as hands off. But maybe there’s more to it behind the scenes than they let on and somebody stepped in when they saw how bad the PR was.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 8:09 PM, traildriver said:

Most likely its still the old team running things. Can't imagine Flix or GH changing their entire team overnight, although priorities and goals may differ slightly. Though I'm not sure if it can be any worse than First Group's last years when they were literally desperate to reduce costs at any cost. 

That being said, cities should reach out more proactively to companies like Greyhound, Flix and Megabus. Amtrak/Airports are government funded, how come bus stations are expected to be funded by private companies? 

Also I wonder if the original deal fell through with the transit center because of Greyhound or because of the city. I suspect it is the city that didn't want Greyhound. GH was(and probably still am) happy to get rid of the old terminal and move to the TC to save cost.

On 4/28/2022 at 12:13 AM, ns8401 said:

You know… I had the same cynical thought. Flix’s public statements have been that it’s running Greyhound completely separately which I read as hands off. But maybe there’s more to it behind the scenes than they let on and somebody stepped in when they saw how bad the PR was.

On another note, I am worried about bigger stations in the near future losing their terminal. According to the property tax records, First group still owns the Chicago terminal

https://www.cookcountypropertyinfo.com/pinresults.aspx

What will happen here? Everyone moves curbside near Union Station? Unlike many city there isn't anywhere other than Union Station I can imagine Greyhound moving to. What about Los Angeles? Kansas City? Dallas?

This is a case where I think the government need to step in, because right now they are either treating intercity bus companies either as a annoyance, or as a revenue generating center. The biggest victim will always be the mobility of American people...

On 4/24/2022 at 10:31 AM, ns8401 said:

I remember we had a stop that got relocated from a gas station to a grocery store parking lot but way away from the building. Some fine drug addict passenger tweaking on something ruined that for us. It was a nice spot too. Then we went to a McDonalds with way too tight of a turn to get a 45 foot coach around. More than once at their lunch rush I had to walk inside and make employees move their cars. More than once I lost a half hour messing with it. After that we settled on a Walmart parking lot. But so far away from the store its across the main drive in some sort of semi-truck parking area. None of these places sold tickets mostly because they didn't want to bother with the people and the sales volume would have been good for maybe 6 people a day between 4 buses

I think you hit the nail in the head on why Greyhound probably has a hard time convincing a neighborhood to have a bus terminal in their community. they simply don't want the "bus passengers". Add on to the fact that GH itself doesn't have the most steller reputation

On 4/25/2022 at 6:15 PM, roeco said:

I still remember the day when Greyhound essentially gave up all passenger runs outside of the main yellowhead, TC 1 corridor, that was when I started counting the days of Greyhound in Western Canada.

Eventually, even the YH/TC1 was down to one a day.

Glad cold shot is building a market to itself, and hope it was more successful than Greyhound's old network

Now the mayor of Knoxville says the city is trying to find alternate stop locations for Greyhound:

https://www.wbir.com/video/news/local/knoxville-mayor-says-she-is-working-with-greyhound-to-find-new-bus-stop/51-f1af0f70-d654-46cd-9c46-f68944126ce0

Also didn’t post this when it happened a couple of weeks ago but a coach was abandoned on Donner Pass when the chains failed in a snow storm. The driver and passengers were picked up by a passing schedule but they just left the coach in the second lane from right shut off… no lights… no triangles… nothing. 

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article260453352.html

Mississippi county Arkansas bring us the following anecdote from last weekend:

A Greyhound bus bound for Chicago, Ill. broke down at the Interstate 55 Shell late Sunday night stranding about 50 passengers on the vehicle for more then 12 hours. Irene Despenza, of Chicago, contacted The Times Monday morning about the situation. “The bus driver told the passengers that they would be getting them hotel rooms... that didn’t happen. They then told them a replacement bus was on the way.” The passengers which included Despenza’s brother Torrez McAdory and elderly father, Lewis McAdory, had grown restless after sitting on the vehicle over night. “They were all frustrated,” said Despenza. “There was also a lady with a baby on the bus who had to endure this.” Thankfully, for the passengers, a replacement bus did show up about 10:15 Monday morning and they were able to move the passengers and their belongings to the new bus and continue on their way.

49 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

I wonder in all these break downs are the passengers offered anything/ Like free ride on the next Greyhound trip? Refunds? or anything else?

Most commonly a credit toward another ride but not an outright free ride or refund I believe.

Welcome to Greyhound Charlottesville, Virginia. The terminal closed in February 2021 and went curbside as they have in so many other places. But now it’s literally located in space number 159 of the Amtrak stations parking lot with not even a sign identifying it. It looks to be a space kind of at the back and out of the way. Gotta read it to believe it:

https://www.cvilletomorrow.org/articles/the-last-greyhound-stop-was-on-the-curb-but-had-a-sign-now-riders-are-confused-by-an-unmarked-stop-in-a-train-station-lot

Meanwhile Knoxville leaders are working to let Greyhound use the city bus station at night. It is not equipped for them to staff it or anything however because it’s simply not big enough for both during normal business hours:

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2022/05/11/knoxville-working-greyhound-find-new-spot-bus-stops/9632463002/

Well… some guy disappeared after either being mugged in Knoxville and having his ticket stolen and used by somebody or getting on the bus and disappearing into the night. Nobody knows exactly.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/missing-man-connected-to-controversial-knoxville-cherry-street-greyhound-bus-stop/51-db484d69-23c6-4cc1-8876-64d849c4acdf

Also some really bad lack-of-driver related delays in Pittsburgh this weekend:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/greyhound-passengers-stranded-in-pittsburgh/

12 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Also some really bad lack-of-driver related delays in Pittsburgh this weekend:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/greyhound-passengers-stranded-in-pittsburgh/

Well, Ourbus just swooped in for the Pittsburgh - NYC corridor, also serving Slippery Rock, PA

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/ourbus-promises-new-low-cost-transport-from-western-pennsylvania-to-new-york-city/Content?oid=21606707

Not that I am some advisor for Greyhound, but if they continue this subpar service, Ourbus will be there to offer better. Since last year Ourbus has added more routes including into Canada and even increased service on existing routes. Not sure if Flixbus is just allowing Greyhound to spiral out of control to completely eliminate them and just take their buses and lease it out to their contractors.

3 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

Well, Ourbus just swooped in for the Pittsburgh - NYC corridor, also serving Slippery Rock, PA

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/ourbus-promises-new-low-cost-transport-from-western-pennsylvania-to-new-york-city/Content?oid=21606707

Not that I am some advisor for Greyhound, but if they continue this subpar service, Ourbus will be there to offer better. Since last year Ourbus has added more routes including into Canada and even increased service on existing routes. Not sure if Flixbus is just allowing Greyhound to spiral out of control to completely eliminate them and just take their buses and lease it out to their contractors.

Its been spiraling out of control for years now... but the latter part is where its headed either way I think. From talking to some folks dealing with corporate people with some experience working with the new owners already... I don't think they knew what they were buying or fully understood how the US Intercity bus system works. Naive is the word that comes to mind.