Jump to content

Greyhound in the news


A. Wong
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

3 hours ago, INowKnowwhY said:

Having worked there for a number of years, let me give you guys a bit of insight.

TOR to Niagara Falls was a much busier route during the warmer months, the earliest 6am bus all the way to 11:15 always doubled or tripled. Even with the new schedules they added in-between the thru-schedules to/from NYC.

St. Catherines was almost always left out of the picture along with Grimsby in the early 2010's, but it seemed like ever since they implemented the Scarborough-YYZ-Buffalo route, St. Catherines started appearing on more TOR-NIA-BUFF schedules.

This route was also notorious for bringing passengers to Niagara Falls but didn't have a sufficient amount of schedules or buses to bring them back. The last bus from Niagara to Toronto was almost always oversold. Alot of people were stranded at night and they recently started to clean up their act in Niagara Falls because the passenger's were getting stranded and drivers were being assaulted.

Taxi drivers loved a big crowd with only one Greyhound bus in sight, they knew there would be a guaranteed trip to Toronto payed for by Greyhound.

TOR-LON-DET obviously, good ol' London was where Greyhound Canada's leader and 2nd in command were from. All the boys who ran the union local were mostly from London to. London was eastern Canada's bread and butter.

London terminal was the only station fully owned by Greyhound in Ontario and was kept in pristine condition. Montreal and the London corridor had the most frequent schedules on their timetables in all of their eastern operations. 

LON-Windsor was questionable after 2015. As of late, the timing on the local HWY 2 trips through Chatham could've easily been adjusted better to attract more travelers and town folk.

They only ran it because it was obligated in their license. Another deliberate move to try to justify funding from the government.

The ridership on the express trips between DET and LON suffered massively, mainly due to the Detroit/Windsor border.

Every Windsor-bound trip ended/started in Detroit. They were unwilling to start a trip directly out of Windsor due to the fact that they would have to pay an extra driver to do the same trip that the DET departure could have done. 🤷🏼‍♂️ so, passengers suffered and were usually delayed typically up to 3 hours. The exact cause for this? The bus that started in LON was the same bus used on the return trip back to LON/TOR.

The buses were pooled with GLI once upon a time before (2016), but the border issue was messing with the Detroit - Chicago routes and buses with connections. So, management from the Chicago board or some big wig in charge of Greyhound in Illinois told GLC they had to use their own buses for their own portion of the route and this resulted in a reliability issue because GLI and GLC NEVER waited for each other in DET. 

LON-HAM-TOR was a fairly decent route. The dumbest decision they did in (2016) was playing around with Brantford's schedules. At one time, Brantford had a heavily used quicklink commuter service to/from Hamilton and Toronto. Brantford schedules got caught up in the mix after GLI demanded that 1 Million miles were to be cut by the end of 2015 across Canada.

And of course as a result, GO Transit once again came in to now save the Brantfordians.

All Greyhound routes in Ontario made ALOT of money, They mostly complained about the commuter trips because they couldn't really make money off flex passes.

TOR-BARRIE was a prime example of this, It was also a fairly busy route, another dumb decision they made was abandoning the carpool park and rides along HWY 400.

They treated those Barrie commuters like garage, almost all of the oldest and paint patched duct-taped buses were exclusively assigned to Barrie. The MCI MC-12 and the 40ft 102DL3's were known as the Barrie bus amongst the drivers and dispatch.

Owen Sound was a heavily profitable route too. Due to the schedule being perfectly timed, the amount of miles and pricing of the tickets were spot on for Greyhound to get a decent return after driver expenses, fuel etc...

We used to double to Wasaga Beach and Collingwood every Friday and holidays during the summer/ Blue Mountain almost every Friday/holidays in the winter. Canada's Wonderland was a frequent stop along the 400 also, it's bringing tears to my eyes how these retards just deliberately started cutting service for no apparent reason when THEY HAD IT ALL! A little bit of ADVERTISING on billboards, the radio and TV would have kept up the demand.

Everytime Go Transit enters a sector, Greyhound willingly just gave them their business, it blows my mind. 😔

The only reason why the Barrie commuter trips lasted as long as it did is because of good faith to the ex-PMCL drivers. Once they started retiring, they slashed that drivers schedules all together.

WAT-KIT-CAM-GUELPH was a bit more forgiven. It was heavily preferred over GO because of the express aspect of the trip to/from Toronto and between Waterloo/Kitchener/Guelph. They exclusively had the rights to run from Guelph along HWY 7 to Kitchener and Waterloo and HWY 24-Maple Grove for Sportsworld crossing. We also shouldn't forget about how Owen Sound was a good feeder route for Guelph. Guelph was a big board pre GO Transit infiltration days. 

Greyhound couldn't keep up with the demand, the students traveling to universities in the area fed Greyhound almost every weekend.

Before GO Transit, the morning commuter trips would double, triple or quadruple from 5:30am in the morning onwards. Guelph Kitchener and Cambridge were this way. But then........ Greyhound started making bad dispatching choices, they cut Guelph as a board point and drivers who were based out of Guelph, had to travel to Kitchener to start their day. Nothing wrong with that but, buses on demand couldn't get to Guelph quickly enough to pick-up stranded passengers.

Kitcheners board would often be exhausted to the point where there were no drivers.

They started getting disorganized with their fleet and I've seen many times where they would dispatch 2 drivers from Toronto to deadhead and deadhead on cushion to Kitchener, since no buses were left in Toronto. One driver who cushioned grabs a bus and then they BOTH head BACK to Guelph to pick up passengers.

If No driver was available, buses wouldn't show up or they'd break down, people were getting stranded and then of course, the almighty GO Transit stepped in, and Greyhound tucked it's tail between it's legs.

GrayLine Sightseeing Niagara Tour made so much money that Greyhound management finally started to act on the tour guides outcry for newer/reliable buses. The newly wrapped D4505's were the result.

I use to hang out in the charter department sometimes while protecting or in-between a regular crew and I would hear the phones ringing off the hook and people would call asking to charter out a Greyhound bus, and I witnessed them turning away so much business. At the time it didn't matter to me but thinking about it now, it makes me so angry.

This company had so much potential, everywhere I went ESPECIALLY on charters, I was always respected by and approached by strangers striking up conversations.

As Greyhound drivers we had the biggest egos and rightfully so, everybody in the industry knew that we made way more money then any bus company in North America. GLI couldn't touch us, there was many if us making well over $100,000 a year.

Even if a dispatcher didn't like a certain driver, or screwed around with a drivers position on the board, they would purposely send them to Sudbury or wherever to search for a ghost bus or protect a ghost schedule but in the end, they made money doing it. 

Before the new ticketing system that was schedule specific was implemented, absolutely no Greyhound passenger was stranded.

if there was 1 person standing on platform 5 waiting to go to Peterborough because the regular bus had no more seats, best believe a dispatcher will call the next driver up and tell em to grab a bus to take that 1 person to Peterborough. You think you can make it back to Toronto to pick up 5 people needing to go to Hamilton? Yea sure no problem.

Hey I'm all out of guys how much hours you have? 7 and a half hours. Ok, I need you to come back to Toronto, I got 12 people needing to get to Ottawa, I'll cushion you home or put you in the hotel for the night. Call us when you're fresh.

^^^^That is how we made our money.

Thanksgiving weekends was Greyhound's Christmas, no passenger was denied. Every working bus in the fleet was on the road, every available staff member and almost every private charter company in Ontario were chartered out by Greyhound in every major city, to carry the excessive passengers to and from their destinations.

We would get paid rentals. Meaning if a rental driver did a schedule that a Greyhound driver was lined up for, Greyhound would pay that driver as if they drove the route.

Every holiday was like this but Thanksgiving was the most busiest. If you are familiar with the Toronto Coach terminal, The line up of passengers used to stretch out the west door on Elizabeth Street, down Elizabeth Street to the corner of dundas and wrap around the whole building twice, along dundas, Bay Street and back along Edward It was f*cking INSANE.

Hot dog food stand was set up at the corner of Elizabeth and Edward, that guy made tons of money in those days.

After being selected from 300 people at my orientation, I feel blessed to have worked for this company. It changed my life. Completely. There will never be another Greyhound ever again, the closest thing to it is a Transit Driver for the government. It still won't be as fun because Greyhound literally gave you the bus and said go drive our passengers and freight to where they need to be, just don't f*ck up our buses, don't argue with our passengers and don't kill anybody on the road and we'll pay you for what ever you do.

That is very insightful!

Greyhound simply shot itself in the foot. To save money, they got rid of most of excessive overloads they used to operate. Then they cut the number of schedule to cram more people onto the one bus. This cause ridership declines, and people who are left with crappy overnight schedules. 

I don't believe Greyhound management understands that to attract people, you need to match their schedule as well. If the schedule DOES NOT WORK its a no go. Passengers will not just adapt to whatever schedule Greyhound set up

Public sector filled in, and then Greyhound complains about competition. 

I have alot of respect for Greyhound operators. Most of them I met and talked to are extremely professional. However some of the actions managements did in the last 10 years is questionable. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, INowKnowwhY said:

Having worked there for a number of years, let me give you guys a bit of insight.

TOR to Niagara Falls was a much busier route during the warmer months, the earliest 6am bus all the way to 11:15 always doubled or tripled. Even with the new schedules they added in-between the thru-schedules to/from NYC.

St. Catherines was almost always left out of the picture along with Grimsby in the early 2010's, but it seemed like ever since they implemented the Scarborough-YYZ-Buffalo route, St. Catherines started appearing on more TOR-NIA-BUFF schedules.

This route was also notorious for bringing passengers to Niagara Falls but didn't have a sufficient amount of schedules or buses to bring them back. The last bus from Niagara to Toronto was almost always oversold. Alot of people were stranded at night and they recently started to clean up their act in Niagara Falls because the passenger's were getting stranded and drivers were being assaulted.

Taxi drivers loved a big crowd with only one Greyhound bus in sight, they knew there would be a guaranteed trip to Toronto payed for by Greyhound.

TOR-LON-DET obviously, good ol' London was where Greyhound Canada's leader and 2nd in command were from. All the boys who ran the union local were mostly from London to. London was eastern Canada's bread and butter.

London terminal was the only station fully owned by Greyhound in Ontario and was kept in pristine condition. Montreal and the London corridor had the most frequent schedules on their timetables in all of their eastern operations. 

LON-Windsor was questionable after 2015. As of late, the timing on the local HWY 2 trips through Chatham could've easily been adjusted better to attract more travelers and town folk.

They only ran it because it was obligated in their license. Another deliberate move to try to justify funding from the government.

The ridership on the express trips between DET and LON suffered massively, mainly due to the Detroit/Windsor border.

Every Windsor-bound trip ended/started in Detroit. They were unwilling to start a trip directly out of Windsor due to the fact that they would have to pay an extra driver to do the same trip that the DET departure could have done. 🤷🏼‍♂️ so, passengers suffered and were usually delayed typically up to 3 hours. The exact cause for this? The bus that started in LON was the same bus used on the return trip back to LON/TOR.

The buses were pooled with GLI once upon a time before (2016), but the border issue was messing with the Detroit - Chicago routes and buses with connections. So, management from the Chicago board or some big wig in charge of Greyhound in Illinois told GLC they had to use their own buses for their own portion of the route and this resulted in a reliability issue because GLI and GLC NEVER waited for each other in DET. 

LON-HAM-TOR was a fairly decent route. The dumbest decision they did in (2016) was playing around with Brantford's schedules. At one time, Brantford had a heavily used quicklink commuter service to/from Hamilton and Toronto. Brantford schedules got caught up in the mix after GLI demanded that 1 Million miles were to be cut by the end of 2015 across Canada.

And of course as a result, GO Transit once again came in to now save the Brantfordians.

All Greyhound routes in Ontario made ALOT of money, They mostly complained about the commuter trips because they couldn't really make money off flex passes.

TOR-BARRIE was a prime example of this, It was also a fairly busy route, another dumb decision they made was abandoning the carpool park and rides along HWY 400.

They treated those Barrie commuters like garage, almost all of the oldest and paint patched duct-taped buses were exclusively assigned to Barrie. The MCI MC-12 and the 40ft 102DL3's were known as the Barrie bus amongst the drivers and dispatch.

Owen Sound was a heavily profitable route too. Due to the schedule being perfectly timed, the amount of miles and pricing of the tickets were spot on for Greyhound to get a decent return after driver expenses, fuel etc...

We used to double to Wasaga Beach and Collingwood every Friday and holidays during the summer/ Blue Mountain almost every Friday/holidays in the winter. Canada's Wonderland was a frequent stop along the 400 also, it's bringing tears to my eyes how these retards just deliberately started cutting service for no apparent reason when THEY HAD IT ALL! A little bit of ADVERTISING on billboards, the radio and TV would have kept up the demand.

Everytime Go Transit enters a sector, Greyhound willingly just gave them their business, it blows my mind. 😔

The only reason why the Barrie commuter trips lasted as long as it did is because of good faith to the ex-PMCL drivers. Once they started retiring, they slashed that drivers schedules all together.

WAT-KIT-CAM-GUELPH was a bit more forgiven. It was heavily preferred over GO because of the express aspect of the trip to/from Toronto and between Waterloo/Kitchener/Guelph. They exclusively had the rights to run from Guelph along HWY 7 to Kitchener and Waterloo and HWY 24-Maple Grove for Sportsworld crossing. We also shouldn't forget about how Owen Sound was a good feeder route for Guelph. Guelph was a big board pre GO Transit infiltration days. 

Greyhound couldn't keep up with the demand, the students traveling to universities in the area fed Greyhound almost every weekend.

Before GO Transit, the morning commuter trips would double, triple or quadruple from 5:30am in the morning onwards. Guelph Kitchener and Cambridge were this way. But then........ Greyhound started making bad dispatching choices, they cut Guelph as a board point and drivers who were based out of Guelph, had to travel to Kitchener to start their day. Nothing wrong with that but, buses on demand couldn't get to Guelph quickly enough to pick-up stranded passengers.

Kitcheners board would often be exhausted to the point where there were no drivers.

They started getting disorganized with their fleet and I've seen many times where they would dispatch 2 drivers from Toronto to deadhead and deadhead on cushion to Kitchener, since no buses were left in Toronto. One driver who cushioned grabs a bus and then they BOTH head BACK to Guelph to pick up passengers.

If No driver was available, buses wouldn't show up or they'd break down, people were getting stranded and then of course, the almighty GO Transit stepped in, and Greyhound tucked it's tail between it's legs.

GrayLine Sightseeing Niagara Tour made so much money that Greyhound management finally started to act on the tour guides outcry for newer/reliable buses. The newly wrapped D4505's were the result.

I use to hang out in the charter department sometimes while protecting or in-between a regular crew and I would hear the phones ringing off the hook and people would call asking to charter out a Greyhound bus, and I witnessed them turning away so much business. At the time it didn't matter to me but thinking about it now, it makes me so angry.

This company had so much potential, everywhere I went ESPECIALLY on charters, I was always respected by and approached by strangers striking up conversations.

As Greyhound drivers we had the biggest egos and rightfully so, everybody in the industry knew that we made way more money then any bus company in North America. GLI couldn't touch us, there was many if us making well over $100,000 a year.

Even if a dispatcher didn't like a certain driver, or screwed around with a drivers position on the board, they would purposely send them to Sudbury or wherever to search for a ghost bus or protect a ghost schedule but in the end, they made money doing it. 

Before the new ticketing system that was schedule specific was implemented, absolutely no Greyhound passenger was stranded.

if there was 1 person standing on platform 5 waiting to go to Peterborough because the regular bus had no more seats, best believe a dispatcher will call the next driver up and tell em to grab a bus to take that 1 person to Peterborough. You think you can make it back to Toronto to pick up 5 people needing to go to Hamilton? Yea sure no problem.

Hey I'm all out of guys how much hours you have? 7 and a half hours. Ok, I need you to come back to Toronto, I got 12 people needing to get to Ottawa, I'll cushion you home or put you in the hotel for the night. Call us when you're fresh.

^^^^That is how we made our money.

Thanksgiving weekends was Greyhound's Christmas, no passenger was denied. Every working bus in the fleet was on the road, every available staff member and almost every private charter company in Ontario were chartered out by Greyhound in every major city, to carry the excessive passengers to and from their destinations.

We would get paid rentals. Meaning if a rental driver did a schedule that a Greyhound driver was lined up for, Greyhound would pay that driver as if they drove the route.

Every holiday was like this but Thanksgiving was the most busiest. If you are familiar with the Toronto Coach terminal, The line up of passengers used to stretch out the west door on Elizabeth Street, down Elizabeth Street to the corner of dundas and wrap around the whole building twice, along dundas, Bay Street and back along Edward It was f*cking INSANE.

Hot dog food stand was set up at the corner of Elizabeth and Edward, that guy made tons of money in those days.

After being selected from 300 people at my orientation, I feel blessed to have worked for this company. It changed my life. Completely. There will never be another Greyhound ever again, the closest thing to it is a Transit Driver for the government. It still won't be as fun because Greyhound literally gave you the bus and said go drive our passengers and freight to where they need to be, just don't f*ck up our buses, don't argue with our passengers and don't kill anybody on the road and we'll pay you for what ever you do.

A very detailed read regarding working at Greyhound. Thanks for posting especially since the structure was a lot different having to make sure that everyone was serviced pending available operators and equipment from an employee perspective. Being difficult work having to accommodate what you can with the available capacity along with having rest breaks between trips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm curious will Greyhound sell their Toronto Garage?

That’s $$$, not sure if it’s in a lucrative part of town or not but if the real estate is prime in any way it’ll be gone faster than you can say sold…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zoned industrial for now, and only on paper. The last active industries left the portlands a decade ago. One stroke of the pen and it’s open season. With the ongoing keating channel naturalization project, the city of Toronto’s intentions are clear.

https://portlandsto.ca/interactive-project-map/

43238E3E-47B2-4EF0-A083-8794AA3CA17D.thumb.jpeg.a417ea5038a0abc4d6791dc5241e1e53.jpeg

The former greyhound facility is circled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2021 at 6:15 PM, INowKnowwhY said:

Before GO Transit, the morning commuter trips would double, triple or quadruple from 5:30am in the morning onwards. Guelph Kitchener and Cambridge were this way. But then........ Greyhound started making bad dispatching choices, they cut Guelph as a board point and drivers who were based out of Guelph, had to travel to Kitchener to start their day. Nothing wrong with that but, buses on demand couldn't get to Guelph quickly enough to pick-up stranded passengers.

I used this service fairly regularly to get to and from UW about 12 years ago, it was always packed (even during the week) and it was mostly regulars. They usually operated a dedicated section for UW (even if it wasn't shown in the schedule) that would take Highway 85 and avoid King Street and the Cambridge stop, if you were lucky you'd make the trip in bit over an hour.

The explosive growth in the 905 probably didn't help, for a lot of people in the GTA getting to Square One (or one of the many suburban locations the UW FedBus served) would be more convenient than going to the coach terminal in downtown Toronto.

And changing the ticketing system really was stupid. Being able to buy tickets in advance without a specific time was one of the big advantages of Greyhound over VIA Rail for instance. Most routes were frequent enough that you could show up at the terminal and expect to get a bus in a reasonable amount of time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

I used this service fairly regularly to get to and from UW about 12 years ago, it was always packed (even during the week) and it was mostly regulars. They usually operated a dedicated section for UW (even if it wasn't shown in the schedule) that would take Highway 85 and avoid King Street and the Cambridge stop, if you were lucky you'd make the trip in bit over an hour.

And changing the ticketing system really was stupid. Being able to buy tickets in advance without a specific time was one of the big advantages of Greyhound over VIA Rail for instance. Most routes were frequent enough that you could show up at the terminal and expect to get a bus in a reasonable amount of time.

Which was the more stupid ticketing system, Greyhound or Via Rail? I find Greyhound the more stupid one because you have to print out your ticket, they wouldn't accept a ticket displayed on the phone. Other bus carriers or Via Rail would accept tickets on the phone.

Although in my experience, nothing beats GO Transit. Tap with your Presto, you're in. From Waterloo, hourly service to Square One, lots of connections there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, anyfong said:

Which was the more stupid ticketing system, Greyhound or Via Rail? I find Greyhound the more stupid one because you have to print out your ticket, they wouldn't accept a ticket displayed on the phone. Other bus carriers or Via Rail would accept tickets on the phone.

Although in my experience, nothing beats GO Transit. Tap with your Presto, you're in. From Waterloo, hourly service to Square One, lots of connections there.

Apparently Greyhound Canada never adopted the e-ticketing system of it’s US counterpart… 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Apparently Greyhound Canada never adopted the e-ticketing system of it’s US counterpart… 

Greyhound did many things that left them so far behind in ticketing and their parcel service depts.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It wouldn't even cost that much to implement some of those changes. They could have built shelters with LED screens or worked with gas stations to create a waiting area of some kind. 

Expand their parcel service.

GPS tracking for buses. 

Email notifications for delays 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2021 at 3:15 PM, INowKnowwhY said:

Having worked there for a number of years, let me give you guys a bit of insight.

TOR to Niagara Falls was a much busier route during the warmer months, the earliest 6am bus all the way to 11:15 always doubled or tripled. Even with the new schedules they added in-between the thru-schedules to/from NYC.

St. Catherines was almost always left out of the picture along with Grimsby in the early 2010's, but it seemed like ever since they implemented the Scarborough-YYZ-Buffalo route, St. Catherines started appearing on more TOR-NIA-BUFF schedules.

This route was also notorious for bringing passengers to Niagara Falls but didn't have a sufficient amount of schedules or buses to bring them back. The last bus from Niagara to Toronto was almost always oversold. Alot of people were stranded at night and they recently started to clean up their act in Niagara Falls because the passenger's were getting stranded and drivers were being assaulted.

Taxi drivers loved a big crowd with only one Greyhound bus in sight, they knew there would be a guaranteed trip to Toronto payed for by Greyhound.

TOR-LON-DET obviously, good ol' London was where Greyhound Canada's leader and 2nd in command were from. All the boys who ran the union local were mostly from London to. London was eastern Canada's bread and butter.

London terminal was the only station fully owned by Greyhound in Ontario and was kept in pristine condition. Montreal and the London corridor had the most frequent schedules on their timetables in all of their eastern operations. 

LON-Windsor was questionable after 2015. As of late, the timing on the local HWY 2 trips through Chatham could've easily been adjusted better to attract more travelers and town folk.

They only ran it because it was obligated in their license. Another deliberate move to try to justify funding from the government.

The ridership on the express trips between DET and LON suffered massively, mainly due to the Detroit/Windsor border.

Every Windsor-bound trip ended/started in Detroit. They were unwilling to start a trip directly out of Windsor due to the fact that they would have to pay an extra driver to do the same trip that the DET departure could have done. 🤷🏼‍♂️ so, passengers suffered and were usually delayed typically up to 3 hours. The exact cause for this? The bus that started in LON was the same bus used on the return trip back to LON/TOR.

The buses were pooled with GLI once upon a time before (2016), but the border issue was messing with the Detroit - Chicago routes and buses with connections. So, management from the Chicago board or some big wig in charge of Greyhound in Illinois told GLC they had to use their own buses for their own portion of the route and this resulted in a reliability issue because GLI and GLC NEVER waited for each other in DET. 

LON-HAM-TOR was a fairly decent route. The dumbest decision they did in (2016) was playing around with Brantford's schedules. At one time, Brantford had a heavily used quicklink commuter service to/from Hamilton and Toronto. Brantford schedules got caught up in the mix after GLI demanded that 1 Million miles were to be cut by the end of 2015 across Canada.

And of course as a result, GO Transit once again came in to now save the Brantfordians.

All Greyhound routes in Ontario made ALOT of money, They mostly complained about the commuter trips because they couldn't really make money off flex passes.

TOR-BARRIE was a prime example of this, It was also a fairly busy route, another dumb decision they made was abandoning the carpool park and rides along HWY 400.

They treated those Barrie commuters like garage, almost all of the oldest and paint patched duct-taped buses were exclusively assigned to Barrie. The MCI MC-12 and the 40ft 102DL3's were known as the Barrie bus amongst the drivers and dispatch.

Owen Sound was a heavily profitable route too. Due to the schedule being perfectly timed, the amount of miles and pricing of the tickets were spot on for Greyhound to get a decent return after driver expenses, fuel etc...

We used to double to Wasaga Beach and Collingwood every Friday and holidays during the summer/ Blue Mountain almost every Friday/holidays in the winter. Canada's Wonderland was a frequent stop along the 400 also, it's bringing tears to my eyes how these retards just deliberately started cutting service for no apparent reason when THEY HAD IT ALL! A little bit of ADVERTISING on billboards, the radio and TV would have kept up the demand.

Everytime Go Transit enters a sector, Greyhound willingly just gave them their business, it blows my mind. 😔

The only reason why the Barrie commuter trips lasted as long as it did is because of good faith to the ex-PMCL drivers. Once they started retiring, they slashed that drivers schedules all together.

WAT-KIT-CAM-GUELPH was a bit more forgiven. It was heavily preferred over GO because of the express aspect of the trip to/from Toronto and between Waterloo/Kitchener/Guelph. They exclusively had the rights to run from Guelph along HWY 7 to Kitchener and Waterloo and HWY 24-Maple Grove for Sportsworld crossing. We also shouldn't forget about how Owen Sound was a good feeder route for Guelph. Guelph was a big board pre GO Transit infiltration days. 

Greyhound couldn't keep up with the demand, the students traveling to universities in the area fed Greyhound almost every weekend.

Before GO Transit, the morning commuter trips would double, triple or quadruple from 5:30am in the morning onwards. Guelph Kitchener and Cambridge were this way. But then........ Greyhound started making bad dispatching choices, they cut Guelph as a board point and drivers who were based out of Guelph, had to travel to Kitchener to start their day. Nothing wrong with that but, buses on demand couldn't get to Guelph quickly enough to pick-up stranded passengers.

Kitcheners board would often be exhausted to the point where there were no drivers.

They started getting disorganized with their fleet and I've seen many times where they would dispatch 2 drivers from Toronto to deadhead and deadhead on cushion to Kitchener, since no buses were left in Toronto. One driver who cushioned grabs a bus and then they BOTH head BACK to Guelph to pick up passengers.

If No driver was available, buses wouldn't show up or they'd break down, people were getting stranded and then of course, the almighty GO Transit stepped in, and Greyhound tucked it's tail between it's legs.

GrayLine Sightseeing Niagara Tour made so much money that Greyhound management finally started to act on the tour guides outcry for newer/reliable buses. The newly wrapped D4505's were the result.

I use to hang out in the charter department sometimes while protecting or in-between a regular crew and I would hear the phones ringing off the hook and people would call asking to charter out a Greyhound bus, and I witnessed them turning away so much business. At the time it didn't matter to me but thinking about it now, it makes me so angry.

This company had so much potential, everywhere I went ESPECIALLY on charters, I was always respected by and approached by strangers striking up conversations.

As Greyhound drivers we had the biggest egos and rightfully so, everybody in the industry knew that we made way more money then any bus company in North America. GLI couldn't touch us, there was many if us making well over $100,000 a year.

Even if a dispatcher didn't like a certain driver, or screwed around with a drivers position on the board, they would purposely send them to Sudbury or wherever to search for a ghost bus or protect a ghost schedule but in the end, they made money doing it. 

Before the new ticketing system that was schedule specific was implemented, absolutely no Greyhound passenger was stranded.

if there was 1 person standing on platform 5 waiting to go to Peterborough because the regular bus had no more seats, best believe a dispatcher will call the next driver up and tell em to grab a bus to take that 1 person to Peterborough. You think you can make it back to Toronto to pick up 5 people needing to go to Hamilton? Yea sure no problem.

Hey I'm all out of guys how much hours you have? 7 and a half hours. Ok, I need you to come back to Toronto, I got 12 people needing to get to Ottawa, I'll cushion you home or put you in the hotel for the night. Call us when you're fresh.

^^^^That is how we made our money.

Thanksgiving weekends was Greyhound's Christmas, no passenger was denied. Every working bus in the fleet was on the road, every available staff member and almost every private charter company in Ontario were chartered out by Greyhound in every major city, to carry the excessive passengers to and from their destinations.

We would get paid rentals. Meaning if a rental driver did a schedule that a Greyhound driver was lined up for, Greyhound would pay that driver as if they drove the route.

Every holiday was like this but Thanksgiving was the most busiest. If you are familiar with the Toronto Coach terminal, The line up of passengers used to stretch out the west door on Elizabeth Street, down Elizabeth Street to the corner of dundas and wrap around the whole building twice, along dundas, Bay Street and back along Edward It was f*cking INSANE.

Hot dog food stand was set up at the corner of Elizabeth and Edward, that guy made tons of money in those days.

After being selected from 300 people at my orientation, I feel blessed to have worked for this company. It changed my life. Completely. There will never be another Greyhound ever again, the closest thing to it is a Transit Driver for the government. It still won't be as fun because Greyhound literally gave you the bus and said go drive our passengers and freight to where they need to be, just don't f*ck up our buses, don't argue with our passengers and don't kill anybody on the road and we'll pay you for what ever you do.

Do you happen to know why Greyhound Canada never was ordered new buses and was just given refurbished hand me downs for the most part? At my short stint in the Vancouver garage, just seemed like everyday I walked into the pre shift meetings that they kept telling us our number of buses out of service was too high and we had buses piling up in the yard. Lots of occasions when I was trying to fix minor things on buses it just seemed like I had to MacGyver it to work because parts weren't available anymore. Felt so bad at times when a driver would come in looking for a bus but they had to wait to see if we could push one out that could make it into service. I feel the maintenance garages in Canada cared but were just not given enough to work with.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 12:47 PM, translink fan said:

Do you happen to know why Greyhound Canada never was ordered new buses and was just given refurbished hand me downs for the most part? At my short stint in the Vancouver garage, just seemed like everyday I walked into the pre shift meetings that they kept telling us our number of buses out of service was too high and we had buses piling up in the yard. Lots of occasions when I was trying to fix minor things on buses it just seemed like I had to MacGyver it to work because parts weren't available anymore. Felt so bad at times when a driver would come in looking for a bus but they had to wait to see if we could push one out that could make it into service. I feel the maintenance garages in Canada cared but were just not given enough to work with.

Why invest in something that is loosing money? Besides that money should be going to corporate bonuses not fixed buses. 

The D4505's were new....in 2006. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, INowKnowwhY said:

I remember my trips between Toronto and Ottawa at the Toronto Coach Terminal along with the major hub for all the other major destinations. Having to accommodate a large amount of volume during the busy days which can be a challenge waiting in the bus bays. Of course having to also pay attention to which platform departure and making sure being in the correct spot. 

90 years of service. It definitely has served the intercity passengers very well over the decades. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember waiting for the Ottawa bus during days where the line ups stretch what appeared to be for miles(not that it was).

 

@GTAmissions1 and other coach operators doing runs out of Coach Terminal, MAN you guys certainly knew how to drive only inches away frompasengers waiting for their coach in the bay area's. KUDO's TO YOU GUYS for being such excellent drivers and not killing anyone.

@GTAmissions it's possible during one of your runs to Ottawa I might of been onr of passengers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

I remember waiting for the Ottawa bus during days where the line ups stretch what appeared to be for miles(not that it was).

 

@GTAmissions1 and other coach operators doing runs out of Coach Terminal, MAN you guys certainly knew how to drive only inches away frompasengers waiting for their coach in the bay area's. KUDO's TO YOU GUYS for being such excellent drivers and not killing anyone.

@GTAmissions it's possible during one of your runs to Ottawa I might of been onr of passengers.

I am just a passenger like you writing about my own experience, not a transit operator.

The holidays were challenging to travel (my last one was back in December 2012 during the Christmas break). Especially when the coach operators would have to honk their horn to let passengers know getting through the lines and clearing enough space. The Toronto to Ottawa and vice versa was definitely the busiest run. I mean sometimes you are very lucky and get accommodated on the first bus or wait for the next bus to be dispatched and be accommodated. 

I can definitely vouch regarding how some did stretch for several miles. The minimum recommended time was half an hour, but felt more like you needed to be an hour or two before departure assuming you know which platform would be used of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OH I always thought you where a driver, NO BIGGIE.

 

The one thing I liked about Ottawa's Terminal was you waited inside either with  the heat on or A/C on, not freezing waiting for your coach like in Toronto. Yeah there was a waiting area inside, but if you wanted to be on the first coach, you needed to wait an hour+ in the cold to get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2021 at 12:47 PM, translink fan said:

Do you happen to know why Greyhound Canada never was ordered new buses and was just given refurbished hand me downs for the most part? At my short stint in the Vancouver garage, just seemed like everyday I walked into the pre shift meetings that they kept telling us our number of buses out of service was too high and we had buses piling up in the yard. Lots of occasions when I was trying to fix minor things on buses it just seemed like I had to MacGyver it to work because parts weren't available anymore. Felt so bad at times when a driver would come in looking for a bus but they had to wait to see if we could push one out that could make it into service. I feel the maintenance garages in Canada cared but were just not given enough to work with.

Working out east, the excuse was always "We aren't making enough money." When I started in 2011, we used to have yearly safety meetings and by 2015 they were already planning on cutting service west of Winnipeg. They said new buses would be a possibility once that happened, with the addition of securing government subsidies.

I can't speak much on the maintenance department but, I know GLI forced them to only order parts when necessary and 1998 MCI parts were increasingly getting further out of reach with nothing being stored. We all had that same repetitive experience where we'd come in for a shift anytime of the day and there were no buses available.

30 buses sitting out of service in the yard or inside the garage going through "house cleaning" and drivers were always lined up, waiting for the next inbound bus headed for the garage to be taken over, or being cabbed up to the station waiting for an inbound bus stuck in traffic somewhere, or stealing a bus from an out of town driver on layover.

Sometimes we were lucky if an extra GLI was available. They used to charge us by the mile once that bus number was entered into the system, which I'm sure you all have seen on the tracker.

This practice is the same exact reason why Adirondack Trailways sued Greyhound and pulled out of the pool for a number of years.

We also lost all of the MLB teams because of how old our buses were and only maintained a handful of them due to the drivers fighting with dispatchers to use an 86000+ Prevost X3-45

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.citynews.ca/2015/11/02/greyhound-passengers-stranded-overnight-as-buses-oversold/

This article is what exposed them back in 2015. The fleet manager at the time was fired over this although the company knew exactly why this happened. Shortly before this, the company slashed driver deadheads and they didn't hire new drivers until 2017, the last class was in summer of 2014. Put the puzzle together and this is the outcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...