Jump to content

Greyhound in the news


Recommended Posts

I think Ontario Northland maybe will go to VIA Rail station which has a ton of pluses...def enough room,close to LRT, built in infrastructure already their for passenger waiting,etc. Also im sure they could figure out their parcel express  service added in too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what the out come will be after the Central Bus Terminal closes as to where everyone will go, but if there one thing I wish(and I don't see it happening not for some time) is:

 

I wish Greyhound would stop "monkeying around" and come out and say:

A1-When, we will re-sart service in Canada?(a firm date, not suggested date?)

A2-Where we will be going for pick up and drop off in each of destinations?

A3-No but sorry Canada, Greyhound Canada has decided we will be leaving Canada. We thank You for partridge you have shown us over the 50+years for of service? 

 

Is it that hard to answer those 3 questions? It's not rocket science? What's with all the cloak & Dagger nonsense?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

I don't know what the out come will be after the Central Bus Terminal closes as to where everyone will go, but if there one thing I wish(and I don't see it happening not for some time) is:

 

I wish Greyhound would stop "monkeying around" and come out and say:

A1-When, we will re-sart service in Canada?(a firm date, not suggested date?)

A2-Where we will be going for pick up and drop off in each of destinations?

A3-No but sorry Canada, Greyhound Canada has decided we will be leaving Canada. We thank You for partridge you have shown us over the 50+years for of service? 

 

Is it that hard to answer those 3 questions? It's not rocket science? What's with all the cloak & Dagger nonsense?

It is if they are in the process of selling their operation....then it will be up to the new owner to answer the questions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I don't know what the out come will be after the Central Bus Terminal closes as to where everyone will go, but if there one thing I wish(and I don't see it happening not for some time) is:

 

I wish Greyhound would stop "monkeying around" and come out and say:

A1-When, we will re-sart service in Canada?(a firm date, not suggested date?)

A2-Where we will be going for pick up and drop off in each of destinations?

A3-No but sorry Canada, Greyhound Canada has decided we will be leaving Canada. We thank You for partridge you have shown us over the 50+years for of service? 

 

Is it that hard to answer those 3 questions? It's not rocket science? What's with all the cloak & Dagger nonsense?

Your willing suspension of disbelief of the obvious is nothing short of astonishing.

Greyhound as an entity is finished, and is in the process of liquidating. The only ones they owe an explanation to are their creditors.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There always hope. Whether that's enough I don't now?

i might agree with you partly, for Greyhound Canada, more then likely it's gone, hopefully not, but as days lead into months, I see the greem ripper approaching and the sound of the Drudes of Death  growing louder and louder. I fell sorry for workers  that may become unemployed because of it and hope they can find work in the industry considering  the times where in.

 

Well if Greyhound Canada does disappear(at least in Canada), riders, fans & employees will have at least memories of a Company that once considered GREAT!!

 

I'm not aware of how Greyhound USA is doing compared to Greyhound Canada if there any better off or not, hopefully they are?

 

Hope is a good thing. There's nothing wrong in hope. Hoping  Greyhound turns around? If they do that's great. If not, oh  well that's life, things go on, and whom ever takes there place, hopefully they can be more successful at it then Greyhound was.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope, denial, semantics.

Everyone but the executives left to carve up the turkey got their walking papers ages ago. Nobody there is waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I was employed by subsidiary PMCL for two years immediately following takeover.

Pride is not a term I would associate with my time there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We all have an opion.

Perhaps my view of Greyhound is different from yours.
Don't get me wrong I respect your views and comments on Greyhound and comments in this thread, I guess I just see it in a different light?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Hope, denial, semantics.

Everyone but the executives left to carve up the turkey got their walking papers ages ago. Nobody there is waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I was employed by subsidiary PMCL for two years immediately following takeover.

Pride is not a term I would associate with my time there.

The question now is what fills in the gaps and what is left of the U.S. operation whenever they do whatever they are going to do with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 3:31 AM, ns8401 said:

The question now is what fills in the gaps and what is left of the U.S. operation whenever they do whatever they are going to do with it. 

Theirs plenty of operators  in the USA Im sure would be more than happy to not have Greyhound around...gives more opportunity for better established companies to provide a decent level of service vs what Greyhound has. In Canada they wont be missed they left West and their runs for the most part ...Others have already picked up their pieces for Passengers and youre seeing it evolve more as the months go by. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, roeco said:

Theirs plenty of operators  in the USA Im sure would be more than happy to not have Greyhound around...gives more opportunity for better established companies to provide a decent level of service vs what Greyhound has. 

Some valid points, but on the other hand, the loss of a strong national network will also be missed.   For some smaller operators, they depended on the traffic that the national network fed them, as well as the opportunity to sell over their routes.  Also the support of their technical expertise and administrative functions that benefited them as well.  Also, the use of their terminal and garage facilities in many locations.   The change from terminals to street stops, and paper tickets to e tickets and online sales, has solved that loss.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, traildriver said:

Some valid points, but on the other hand, the loss of a strong national network will also be missed.   For some smaller operators, they depended on the traffic that the national network fed them, as well as the opportunity to sell over their routes.  Also the support of their technical expertise and administrative functions that benefited them as well.  Also, the use of their terminal and garage facilities in many locations.   The change from terminals to street stops, and paper tickets to e tickets and online sales, has solved that loss.   

 

The other regional carriers would partner together and fill in the gaps in the system within a couple of years at most. The system is so atrophied that the biggest challenge isn’t replacing them it’s that administrative angle.

 

Side note — something is happening June 1st and I’ve been told there are some major changes with Greyhound coming. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully it'll be god news come June 1 from Greyhound.

As for the "curb side pick-up" There's good points and bad points about that.

 

It may be ok in the Southern US where it's warm year round, but when winter rolls around I wouldn't want to be waiting by the curb to get a ride. It can get quite cold in Canada during winter and I'm not keen waiting for a Coach when it's -30C.

 

I don't know what the announcement will be on JUNE 1 by  Greyhound is be it good or bad.

But if it's bad, and they leave I'll miss them, but hey that's life things go on and hopefully there others to take their place.

 

That being said, on a 'Bus enthusiast collector' side, I suggest you find any thing related to Greyhound Canada be it paper schedules, signs, patches, uniforms, jackets, photo's, slides, Die-cast bus models, Bus Banks, or any else related to Greyhound Canada, may be worth some thing in a few years. Just go to E Bay and you'd be amazed at what Greyhound items are selling for anywhere from $1 to over $100 for certain items.

 

Remember if Greyhound Canada leaves most likely almost all items  related to Greyhound Canada will be thrown away.

HMMM Dumpster Diving LOL but hey that may lead to $$$$ on E Bay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Michel said:

US, Canada, or both?

The word on the street is that it has to do with the long awaited sale of the company. So the U.S. side for certain. Not heard anything about the Canadian portion of the business.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ns8401 said:

The word on the street is that it has to do with the long awaited sale of the company. So the U.S. side for certain. Not heard anything about the Canadian portion of the business.

I would have thought that FirstGroup was selling them both together, since that was how they bought them originally (from Laidlaw)...?

It would have more value that way, to lock the brand "Greyhound", if that is what they want...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, traildriver said:

I would have thought that FirstGroup was selling them both together, since that was how they bought them originally (from Laidlaw)...?

It would have more value that way, to lock the brand "Greyhound", if that is what they want...

That was going to be my guess as well. A package deal for their North American intercity operations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is only speculation on my part, but perhaps the new owner was only interested in the US operations. Assuming that's the case, I see First Bus shifting all there Lift equipped coaches to the US, sell their other coaches.

 

If they sell their garage in Toronto most likely they'll be leaving Canada, though they could lease space from some else  but that would be throwing money away.

 

It'll be interesting to see who bought them and how they'll run Greyhound(presuming that's what will be said on June 1, the sale of Greyhound)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Orleans Express have filled a temporary permit application to run scheduled service between Montreal and Ottawa. It expires July 1st 2021 or earlier if Greyhound decides to resume service. So we have our answer of who will most likely take over this route.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...