Greyhound in the news

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

So who is the "possible buyer/newer owner"?

Someone willing to throw good money after bad. I wouldn’t be surprised if private equity looking to liquidate is involved. First wants out so what happens to it after the fact is irrelevant to them. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I heard it was sold, from an UNreliable source...hearsay from an acquaintance, who heard it from one of their employees.  I have tried to find further info on the internet, but have been unsuccessful, so far.   So it may just be a rumor at this time.  I am sure they will make an announcement, when/if it does happen.  Sorry if this caused any undue concern....

NO Biggie. It seems odd they would sell their garage in Ottawa, before selling Greyhound. Assuming this  "new owner" assuming this owner wants to run Greyhound, what will they use as a garage in Ottawa now that it;s been sold?

Which ever the case may be I hope they camn restart service again?

23 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Apollo Investment Corp is what most are speculating. Though it hasn't been confirmed, they do claim that they're still in talks with an interested buyer.

We'll never know for sure because It's illegal for First to disclose who's buying, they could be charged with inside trading since they're a public entity on the stock market.

16 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

NO Biggie. It seems odd they would sell their garage in Ottawa, before selling Greyhound. Assuming this  "new owner" assuming this owner wants to run Greyhound, what will they use as a garage in Ottawa now that it;s been sold?

Which ever the case may be I hope they camn restart service again?

The current workforce has been severely slashed. All managers and dispatchers have been packaged out, only 70 drivers are employed while the rest took their commutive value and severance.

So, that along with ending the lease to Ottawa Station and selling the garage, makes it more attractive to the buyer.

Furthermore, Greyhound is federally regulated. Regardless of what is written in their union handbook, If the currently laid-off employees reach the 1 Year mark without receiving a call back, they'll be permanently laid-off.

So, when Greyhound opens up after one year, all of those employees will start again at the bottom of the pay grade....which makes it even MORE attractive to the buyer 😐

So essentially, it's up to the union to ask Greyhound to honor an extension.

58 minutes ago, INowKnowwhY said:

The current workforce has been severely slashed. All managers and dispatchers have been packaged out, only 70 drivers are employed while the rest took their commutive value and severance.

Just to clarify, you're speaking of what's left of the Canadian operations only right?

58 minutes ago, Michel said:

Just to clarify, you're speaking of what's left of the Canadian operations only right?

Correct, speaking only on the Canadian operations. Not sure what's happening with GLI in the states, seems like first group is cashing out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 12:41 PM, MCIBUS said:

I heard that they were sold from someone at Greyhound HQ in Dallas. I will not say who but the person is on this list: https://www.greyhound.com/en/about/executive-bios

The person only said that Greyhound was getting sold. Did not name the buyer.

5 hours ago, Swadian said:

I heard that they were sold from someone at Greyhound HQ in Dallas. I will not say who but the person is on this list: https://www.greyhound.com/en/about/executive-bios

The person only said that Greyhound was getting sold. Did not name the buyer.

If it's already sold, why is First still aggressively selling off Greyhounds assets? If they've been appraised for just over $300 Million, I'm sure the selling of prime real-estate would alter current negotiations.

19 hours ago, INowKnowwhY said:

If it's already sold, why is First still aggressively selling off Greyhounds assets? If they've been appraised for just over $300 Million, I'm sure the selling of prime real-estate would alter current negotiations.

When was the last time GLI sold assets? Denver in January? GLI moved out of Las Vegas but the Plaza Hotel wasn't owned by GLI so it's a stretch to call it "GLI real estate".

FYI, GLI's computer system migrated around the week of February 8-12. The same week they mentioned that they were getting sold. Also please keep in mind that's coming from GLI and I have no knowledge of GLC's current status.

55 minutes ago, Swadian said:

When was the last time GLI sold assets? Denver in January? GLI moved out of Las Vegas but the Plaza Hotel wasn't owned by GLI so it's a stretch to call it "GLI real estate".

FYI, GLI's computer system migrated around the week of February 8-12. The same week they mentioned that they were getting sold. Also please keep in mind that's coming from GLI and I have no knowledge of GLC's current status.

Denver was the latest of several places to be sold. Well over $100 million worth of assets were written down in the last year or so. It smells like a buy, pilfer and sell off the rest kind of deal. Nobody in their right mind would buy them. The company is so far gone at this point it’s just not worth very much.

15 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Denver was the latest of several places to be sold. Well over $100 million worth of assets were written down in the last year or so. It smells like a buy, pilfer and sell off the rest kind of deal. Nobody in their right mind would buy them. The company is so far gone at this point it’s just not worth very much.

So then Denver was the last GLI location to get sold before First sold GLI. As for "nobody in their right mind", I agree with you but who knows? If the buyer got Greyhound's brand for next to nothing then all the power to them. The assets themselves were costly to maintain; according to Greyhound the Denver terminal cost over a million dollars a year in upkeep and the Los Angeles terminal cost over 3 million dollars a year. They also complained about subsidized competition in the form of Bustang.

11 hours ago, Swadian said:

So then Denver was the last GLI location to get sold before First sold GLI. As for "nobody in their right mind", I agree with you but who knows? If the buyer got Greyhound's brand for next to nothing then all the power to them. The assets themselves were costly to maintain; according to Greyhound the Denver terminal cost over a million dollars a year in upkeep and the Los Angeles terminal cost over 3 million dollars a year. They also complained about subsidized competition in the form of Bustang.

I’m not buying their complaints about subsidies. They partake widely in state subsidies. Maybe somebody is planning to reboot the company from scratch using the brand name with a new business model?

I would hope that it is someone who plans to restore the international network, to at least a semblance of what it was, but don't have much belief that can be done at this stage.

As for subsidies...I don't believe they would be necessary if not for deregulation.   Back in the regulated era, at least in the US, much of the nation was adequately served by two competing systems, plus independent regional carriers.   The profitable routes cross-subsidized weaker branch lines.  The regulatory bodies insured fair fares, and adequate schedules.    And the employees earned a decent living wage and pension.   The job was coveted, and only the best were hired, with no shortage of drivers or mechanics.  JMHO.

I agree that Greyhound is hypocritical to complain about subsides and it's possible that someone will try to reboot the company from scratch using the brand name with a new business model.

That said, I'm not a fan of Bustang since some of its routes could easily turn a profit if the business environment in Colorado were more conducive to profits. For instance the Denver - Grand Junction along I-70 is a major highway and should have been able to turn a profit without subsidies.

9 hours ago, Swadian said:

I agree that Greyhound is hypocritical to complain about subsides and it's possible that someone will try to reboot the company from scratch using the brand name with a new business model.

That said, I'm not a fan of Bustang since some of its routes could easily turn a profit if the business environment in Colorado were more conducive to profits. For instance the Denver - Grand Junction along I-70 is a major highway and should have been able to turn a profit without subsidies.

By all indications Bustang is a vast improvement over what was there before.

2 hours ago, ns8401 said:

By all indications Bustang is a vast improvement over what was there before.

What indication are you referring to?  This one?

https://ridebustang.com/west-line-schedule/

Only one thru trip Denver to Grand Junction, and only on weekdays, unless I am missing something.

At one time, Greyhound ran three local trips that went all the way to Salt Lake City enroute to Seattle that route, plus at least two express trips that went that way to Las Vegas and Los Angeles.  Every day including holidays.

3 hours ago, traildriver said:

What indication are you referring to?  This one?

https://ridebustang.com/west-line-schedule/

Only one thru trip Denver to Grand Junction, and only on weekdays, unless I am missing something.

At one time, Greyhound ran three local trips that went all the way to Salt Lake City enroute to Seattle that route, plus at least two express trips that went that way to Las Vegas and Los Angeles.  Every day including holidays.

My understanding is that there is some use for this service as a commuter option to some sort of degree. Either way the service is more stable and reliable. I would assume passenger traffic just isn’t high enough to justify so many runs (they used to run three runs to backwater ending points as well as you know). It’s unfortunate that it’s gone that way. I know the state of Colorado seemed pretty proud of the gains in ridership they have seen with it. Do they connect to the outside world or are they a contained system?

As late as 2014 Greyhound had 3 daily trips between Denver and Grand Junction on I-70. Even if passenger traffic wasn't high enough for 3 runs, it should be enough to keep 1 or 2 runs going without subsidies.

So Bustang isn't an improvement at all.

As for the commuters they could've taken Greyhound or other private bus companies if Bustang didn't exist. It's also my understanding that the resorts and other attractions along I-70 are more popular on the weekends anyway.

As for the State of Colorado boasting about ridership or "farebox recovery", Bustang is still nowhere close to profitability even though I-70 used to be a profitable route for private carriers. It's all PR and publicity to trick gullible Coloradoans into pouring more taxpayer dollars into Bustang.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Michel said:

Nice article, thanks for posting it.   At least it emphasizes the importance of intercity bus service, rather than the usual about how undesirable it is to have a bus terminal in a vicinity...

The fact that Greyhound, in light of its situation, did not respond to questions, shouldn't surprise anyone....

• Like 1

I don't know what the out come of Greyhounds situation is, but assuming they do decide to stay, here's what I see "might" happen.

Depending on how they do the 'Coach  boarding/exiting' there maybe different ways they might have it set up.

Assuming they go toa LRT/BRT Station and have a similar set up as they did at the Central Station, there only a few OC Stations that can be set up and be close to the 417(for easy access to Montreal & Toronto), the perfect station would be Hurdman(and here's why?)

1)it's close to the 417(less then 10mins)

2)There is plenty of room at Hurdman(assuming there allowed to go there and do this:) 

At present OC is only using one side of Station(Bus loading & unloading), while the other side of the station(field side next to the walkway. If OC allows them to build loading/unloading platforms on that side Shelters under the LRT(OC could also move their shelters there making the Inter-city/OC waitng for  either inter-city or local buses(this would also help with the issue of over crowding on the platforms for  waiting local buses.

By having the"new shelter"under the LRT it gives more room in area.

For those that are not fimular with the area there is ounderpas(presently not being used)where a road could easily be built to allow coaches to exit the station. A road at the far end of the station could be built to allow entery to otherside where the new platforms would be for Greyhound.

Whether this happens with Greyhound and maybe ONT or anyone else could run out there.

To me at least this way you have access to both OC Transpo's BRT/LRT network.

22 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

I don't know what the out come of Greyhounds situation is, but assuming they do decide to stay, here's what I see "might" happen.

Depending on how they do the 'Coach  boarding/exiting' there maybe different ways they might have it set up.

Assuming they go toa LRT/BRT Station and have a similar set up as they did at the Central Station, there only a few OC Stations that can be set up and be close to the 417(for easy access to Montreal & Toronto), the perfect station would be Hurdman(and here's why?)

1)it's close to the 417(less then 10mins)

2)There is plenty of room at Hurdman(assuming there allowed to go there and do this:) 

At present OC is only using one side of Station(Bus loading & unloading), while the other side of the station(field side next to the walkway. If OC allows them to build loading/unloading platforms on that side Shelters under the LRT(OC could also move their shelters there making the Inter-city/OC waitng for  either inter-city or local buses(this would also help with the issue of over crowding on the platforms for  waiting local buses.

By having the"new shelter"under the LRT it gives more room in area.

For those that are not fimular with the area there is ounderpas(presently not being used)where a road could easily be built to allow coaches to exit the station. A road at the far end of the station could be built to allow entery to otherside where the new platforms would be for Greyhound.

Whether this happens with Greyhound and maybe ONT or anyone else could run out there.

To me at least this way you have access to both OC Transpo's BRT/LRT network.

Re the underpass at Hurdman
I beleave the NCC owns the parkland on the north side of the Station @ Hurdman.

Maybe something like this would work better. 
2AC7EF37-1991-4602-B592-DE3AD8415206.thumb.png.2ac8055919758d017d64ddcf596c7384.png  75741FBC-281A-479E-9AE2-AD2FF2467D76.thumb.jpeg.6b1f2c174b1b9d76343bc048ae8cb146.jpeg

Another possible location could be at St Laurent Stn. (Far East end of the platform next to St Laurent Blvd) 

Access to the 417 wouldn’t be a problem as the Station is located right next to it) 

Here’s some pictures 

8A92C98C-26FD-456D-A237-52163651A063.thumb.jpeg.78c643824964280406a62f4ee8720e26.jpeg 6480E6CF-C207-475A-9F2C-7F4BAC06FF44.thumb.png.f15f8a2c225c680a1a3c3f90f32d12e4.png

18 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Re the underpass at Hurdman
I beleave the NCC owns the parkland on the north side of the Station @ Hurdman.

Maybe something like this would work better. 
2AC7EF37-1991-4602-B592-DE3AD8415206.thumb.png.2ac8055919758d017d64ddcf596c7384.png  75741FBC-281A-479E-9AE2-AD2FF2467D76.thumb.jpeg.6b1f2c174b1b9d76343bc048ae8cb146.jpeg

Another possible location could be at St Laurent Stn. (Far East end of the platform next to St Laurent Blvd) 

Access to the 417 wouldn’t be a problem as the Station is located right next to it) 

Here’s some pictures 

8A92C98C-26FD-456D-A237-52163651A063.thumb.jpeg.78c643824964280406a62f4ee8720e26.jpeg 6480E6CF-C207-475A-9F2C-7F4BAC06FF44.thumb.png.f15f8a2c225c680a1a3c3f90f32d12e4.png

there is no access to 417 west from the station, buses need to go down Ogilvie or Coventry or temblay to turn around to get onto the 417 west 

• Thanks 1