Jump to content
A. Wong

Greyhound in the news

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Greyhound has sold the Portland, Maine station to Maine Health which is the parent company of Maine Medical Center. Greyhound will remain in the building for now. Purchase price was $1.4 Million.

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/05/11/maine-health-purchases-greyhound-station-in-portland/

So that buys them some gas for their fleet and maybe some head light bulbs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Shaun said:

So that buys them some gas for their fleet and maybe some head light bulbs. 

Precisely. It’s all about getting as much value out of it before there’s nothing left... in other news I ordered some Greyhound branded deck chairs, I hope I don’t need to rearrange them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting...I am very curious as to which other Greyhound terminal's that were owned by the former Greyhound Corporation, were purchased by the new  GLI, in its startup in 1987?  Including ones that were subsequently sold since then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my neck of the woods.. Chicago, Detroit, Toledo and Grand Rapids in 1987. Chicago is the only one left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to this, the Greyhound station in Chicago at Clark and Randolph closed in 1989. 

https://cardboardamerica.org/2016/11/16/greyhound-bus-

Greyhound sold off the old terminal to a developer in 1987:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1988-06-10-8801060422-story.html

Looks like the one at Harrison and Desplaines opened soon after. Here's a Chicago Tribune article from 1990 about it:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1990-03-25-9001250556-story.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Chicago, was still Greyhound's main 'hub' in 1987, it would surprise me if the new company actually owned that property during the two years before they moved to the new Harrison location.

And as for the rest...I suspect that they just leased many of them from the old corporation.   Some of the properties were very valuable real estate.

 

I liked that link showing the interior views of the old terminal...I first arrived there in 1966 on a Scenicruiser from Rantoul, Il (Chanute AFB), and was very impressed with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Greyhound has agreed to pay $125,000 to Washington D.C. to settle an idling lawsuit:

https://dcist.com/story/20/05/21/greyhound-will-pay-d-c-125000-to-settle-illegal-idling-suit/

Considering how cheap they are with paying the ticket vendors, why wouldn't they try to curb idling to save money? UNLESS there was a high chance the bus wouldn't start if they shut it off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Considering how cheap they are with paying the ticket vendors, why wouldn't they try to curb idling to save money? UNLESS there was a high chance the bus wouldn't start if they shut it off. 

With some of their buses I wouldn’t shut them off... that said they were in no way complying before they were sued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestingly this has resulted in a company wide idling ban for all Greyhound buses at terminals and not just in D.C., I didn’t read that the first time through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ns8401 said:

With some of their buses I wouldn’t shut them off... that said they were in no way complying before they were sued.

The numerous road calls I've had trying to get a stuck Greyhound at the border started to kick it back stateside or get it into Vancouver. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, translink fan said:

The numerous road calls I've had trying to get a stuck Greyhound at the border started to kick it back stateside or get it into Vancouver. 

If I was looking at used coaches I probably wouldn’t touch one of theirs with a 10 foot pole I don’t think...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ns8401 said:

If I was looking at used coaches I probably wouldn’t touch one of theirs with a 10 foot pole I don’t think...

I agree with that.   If I was shopping for a used coach, I would prefer those from a company with a small fleet, of say, 30 to 80 coaches.   Small enough that they would know their coaches well, and take good care of them, and large enough to have the proper resources to have their own garage facilities.   Best if just a single garage, so they don't play the "hot potato game", of trying to push coaches almost due for major maintenance to the 'other' garage...something that a very large carrier might do.

Would also prefer from a carrier that tried to assign driver's a regular coach...in those cases the driver takes very good care, and makes sure to get every maintenance issue resolved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, traildriver said:

I agree with that.   If I was shopping for a used coach, I would prefer those from a company with a small fleet, of say, 30 to 80 coaches.   Small enough that they would know their coaches well, and take good care of them, and large enough to have the proper resources to have their own garage facilities.   Best if just a single garage, so they don't play the "hot potato game", of trying to push coaches almost due for major maintenance to the 'other' garage...something that a very large carrier might do.

Would also prefer from a carrier that tried to assign driver's a regular coach...in those cases the driver takes very good care, and makes sure to get every maintenance issue resolved.

I completely agree with that. The way ours works at the moment 4 buses are assigned to the garage for line service. As long as nothing goes terribly wrong with one of them or another coach we meet en route I’ll have the same one for 6 days in a row and then the other one the next week and so on. I’ve always been one of those people to fix every little problem that we can get fixed. I’m assuming that would be close to what you’re describing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 10:41 AM, ns8401 said:

I completely agree with that. The way ours works at the moment 4 buses are assigned to the garage for line service. As long as nothing goes terribly wrong with one of them or another coach we meet en route I’ll have the same one for 6 days in a row and then the other one the next week and so on. I’ve always been one of those people to fix every little problem that we can get fixed. I’m assuming that would be close to what you’re describing?

Exactly.   Even a large company like Academy...the driver's working out of their Hoboken, NJ garage are assigned buses by seniority and merit  (non-union).   The best and seniormost driver's get the newest and best equipment.   New driver's get the oldest.   When a driver keeps a bus for a year or more, you can be assured that every last light bulb, or other item, will be in fine working order.

Their 'top' driver's also get the "plum" assignments, such as carrying the professional sports teams around, etc..

Buses that are relayed between driver's are not cared for in the same way.   A driver that knows he is not likely to drive that bus again soon, may not bother seeing that minor issues are corrected.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s hiding behind a paywall so no link but the headline said it all:

Greyhound laid off 78 employees permanently at its terminal and Maintanance facilities in Atlanta. That’s not a good sign... a precipitous drop in travel is blamed for the cuts... 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprise  Surprise  Surprise

Why doesn't this surprise me one bit?

I don't know whether the drivers will accept this or not, that's up to them to decide.

 

It'll be shame if Greyhound left, but then again the drivers and others at Greyhound have to think of themselves and their family and not Greyhound's  profits & share holders?

 

Two interesting video clips:

100 Years Of Greyhound

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/bus-iness-model-100-years-of-greyhound~372326

 

Spliting up Greyhound groups.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/greyhound-owners-being-broken-up~1694834

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to know if the executives and the people up at the top will be taking a pay cut? Why should the drivers be the one to suffer. 

They would be better off finding work at who ever takes those routes. Even if they loose their seniority.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

95% of their operational staff was shown the door today, I guess Greyhound isn't bluffing or maybe they're just putting on a show.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, INowKnowwhY said:

95% of their operational staff was shown the door today, I guess Greyhound isn't bluffing or maybe they're just putting on a show.

That sounds like they expect the union to say no... the 5% might just be them winding it down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

I just read this, wow!

7 hours ago, ns8401 said:

The Amalgamated Transit Union has been given an ultimatum By Greyhound Canada... take a 15% wage cut and changes to the defined pension benefit guarantee or the suspension they are currently on will become a permanent closure of the company:
https://www.680news.com/2020/06/25/greyhound-drivers-asked-to-take-pay-cut-change-to-benefits-union/

 

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

That sounds like they expect the union to say no... the 5% might just be them winding it down.

Let's see first, more is suppose to be said tomorrow (Friday)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, INowKnowwhY said:

95% of their operational staff was shown the door today, I guess Greyhound isn't bluffing or maybe they're just putting on a show.

I guess we can expect them to sell off the assets next.  Would anyone want to pickup the D4505's and Prevosts? I dont think the older units have any value left in them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ns8401 said:

The Amalgamated Transit Union has been given an ultimatum By Greyhound Canada... take a 15% wage cut and changes to the defined pension benefit guarantee or the suspension they are currently on will become a permanent closure of the company:
https://www.680news.com/2020/06/25/greyhound-drivers-asked-to-take-pay-cut-change-to-benefits-union/

Bad faith offer. They’re closing anyway.

That was their intent from the outset. The pandemic just gave them a convenient smokescreen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...