Greyhound in the news

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greyhound has sold the Portland, Maine station to Maine Health which is the parent company of Maine Medical Center. Greyhound will remain in the building for now. Purchase price was $1.4 Million.

This!! When I was ops manager at a charter bus company, I got so tired of the following vicious cycle: Maintenance would not make timely repairs to write ups. Drivers, knowing the

Most of the the added service is on London-Toronto (Table 740) and Kitchener Toronto (Table 743). Buffalo-Toronto has one trip to Pearson, on one of the local runs. It adds between 10-15 minutes of tr

Posted Images

I was there in 1976, when then Colorado governor John Lamm cut the ribbon on the new Greyhound/Trailways terminal.  At the time, it was a vast improvement over the two former terminal's in use.  In addition to the two joint owner's, tenant lines included Gray Line and the RTD Boulder division.   With the merger, and vast shrinkage in routes and schedules, the terminal defines what a "white elephant" is.  It's much too valuable a property to continue in its present utilization.   The few remaining schedules could easily be accommodated at Union Station...if not in the underground RTD terminal, then on an adjacent street...

It is somehow ironic that the old Greyhound terminal at 1730 Glenarm, still stands...https://www.google.com/maps/place/1730+Glenarm+Pl,+Denver,+CO+80202/@39.7451589,-104.9888042,3a,75y,125.84h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIU_999nuWS8kyjTG-IcJEA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x876c78d657912a61:0x20db292fb33c2305!8m2!3d39.7449781!4d-104.9884932

• 1 month later...

When you reduce the business to bear ones with extremely poor customer service, you eliminated the reason why people used your service. 

Maybe investing in their business to grow their customer base would help grow their profit margins. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Shaun said:

When you reduce the business to bear ones with extremely poor customer service, you eliminated the reason why people used your service. 

Maybe investing in their business to grow their customer base would help grow their profit margins. 

To be blunt:

The world would be far better off with them and their union liquidated and the buses, routes and computer system distributed to the various interlining carriers who already provide better service and equipment. Greyhound isn’t necessary in the bus world at this point... it absolutely is self defeating as an organization and all hope for a recovery left some time ago...

For sure I agree with you, they just don't see that they did this to themselves. 

Cutting routes, feeder routes, late buses with poor customer service. 

However they seem to be hirring new drivers, saw a few buses driving around downtown Toronto with the training banner on them. 

Lets face the facts. Bus travel isn't the greatest means of travel. Depending on your destination traveling by Train or airplane is sometimes cheaper (at certain times of the year depending on fairs deals)and faster, not always though.

There's a limit most travelers will take taking a bus(hours on a bus) There's a difference being on a bus for about 2-5 hours, then 5+ hours.I'm not saying Bus travel is bad, just other mods of travel are better  sometimes.

I don't know the future for either Greyhound, Trailways, Coach Canada/USA other bus companies/transportation is or what the future for inter-city bus travel is.

Sure you can use Artic, Double Decker, 45 foot coaches with a 2+1 seating arrangement with lots of leg room and large seats(train or airplane style seating) on buses with air ride seats to improve confort for your customer base, but at what cost. Is worth it to spend that kind of money on your coach fleet to get customers for inter-city routes?

Like I don't know what th future holds for inter-city bus companies or inter-city bus travel is only time wil tell what happens. But it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Fortunately Alberta has Red Arrow and E-bus who continue to expand.  Greyhound was it's own worst enemy and lost the market, they just never really competed

Flying between Calgary and Edmonton isn't really time efficient due to check in, waiting etc. 

Driving is OK and about the same time, but what is really needed is european style high speed rail..

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

Driving is OK and about the same time, but what is really needed is european style high speed rail..

Knowing Kenny, he'd probably build it, but use retiring U2s to save costs

• Like 1
On 5/31/2019 at 11:16 PM, Benton Harper said:

Not a problem, at least we'd have service...😊

I mean, 10 years ago they were deemed to be at end-of-life, and their max speed is 80 (compared to 110 the highway)

On 5/31/2019 at 2:02 PM, Benton Harper said:

Fortunately Alberta has Red Arrow and E-bus who continue to expand.  Greyhound was it's own worst enemy and lost the market, they just never really competed

Flying between Calgary and Edmonton isn't really time efficient due to check in, waiting etc. 

Their are actually several options in Alberta. Rider Express operates 6 day a week service Calgary via Hwy 1 to Vancouver and also Edmonton-Saskatoon-P.A.-Regina, KCTI Operates Saskatoon to Edmonton.Northern Express is still operating for now on Edmonton to Peace River-High Level and Cold Lake.Also Peace River to Grande Prairie.

And Cold Shot Bus  Service operates 9 routes in Alberta hauling passengers and Freight including a cross border Grande Prairie-Ft St John route.And will be adding more soon.

Another day on the Hound:

First there was a fight at a rest stop in Texas which resulted in the arrest of a Virginia man:

https://www.ksstradio.com/2019/06/bus-altercation-at-cumby-rest-stop-results-in-virginia-mans-arrest/

Then a bus from Dallas had a noxious odor bad enough to require a new bus and 4 passengers to receive oxygen in Texarkana, Arkansas:

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/texarkana/story/2019/jun/14/noxious-odor-greyhound-bus-texarkana-prompts-four-oxygen-treatments-another-bus-called-complete-trip/782796/

On 5/30/2019 at 5:32 PM, ns8401 said:

To be blunt:

The world would be far better off with them and their union liquidated and the buses, routes and computer system distributed to the various interlining carriers who already provide better service and equipment. Greyhound isn’t necessary in the bus world at this point... it absolutely is self defeating as an organization and all hope for a recovery left some time ago...

Greyhounds computer system was archaic and is not worth anything. Their are other much better applications for both freight and tickets. 

4 hours ago, roeco said:

Greyhounds computer system was archaic and is not worth anything. Their are other much better applications for both freight and tickets. 

Agreed (anybody else still using F key inputs to navigate a page these days?!?)... but in a liquidation I’m not sure how fast they could set up a new system without using the legacy TRIPS system temporarily... 

6619 burned up near Houston today:

https://abc13.com/bus-fire-blocks-east-fwy-near-san-jacinto-river/5355300/

86537 was hit head on by a wrong way driver in Kentucky. 8 minor injuries, a seriously injured Greyhound driver and a dead wrong way driver:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/06/20/greyhound-bus-crashes-kentucky-set-stop-nashville/1509927001/

edit: The link from the Tennessean should be a clean one free of any risky clicks... GrandeWest_B35G please let me know on that..

40 minutes ago, GrandeWest_B35G said:

Risky click

The jerks response is “get a Mac”...

The serious response is that I did the post on my iPhone and it never said a word about anything... my PC in the other room probably would have freaked out... I’ll switch the link.

On 6/18/2019 at 11:58 AM, ns8401 said:

Agreed (anybody else still using F key inputs to navigate a page these days?!?)... but in a liquidation I’m not sure how fast they could set up a new system without using the legacy TRIPS system temporarily... 

Cold Shot Bus service only took 30-60 days to ramp up the ticketing system, and freight same   for Nov 1 startup. Betterez (Which Cold Shot,Rider Express,Mahikan and Kasper use is one of the best), Zaui is used by several co too, Cold Shot uses the Connex courier system for freight...like night and day compared to grey dog.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:58 AM, ns8401 said:

At my workplace (not bus business) we use a terminal based mainframe database for bookings, reservations, inventory, and accounts receivable. I use F key inputs every day.

Given the way this system is the "backbone" of much of what we do, the costs and risks involved with migrating away from it are too great. And so we keep using it, probably for as long as we can hire programmers who can maintain it.

14 hours ago, northwesterner said:

At my workplace (not bus business) we use a terminal based mainframe database for bookings, reservations, inventory, and accounts receivable. I use F key inputs every day.

Given the way this system is the "backbone" of much of what we do, the costs and risks involved with migrating away from it are too great. And so we keep using it, probably for as long as we can hire programmers who can maintain it.

When was said system implemented? Greyhounds is 1993 with an update in 2001...

The biggest issue is that it siphons from the partner carriers as early and often as it can... 

3 hours ago, ns8401 said:

When was said system implemented? Greyhounds is 1993 with an update in 2001...

The biggest issue is that it siphons from the partner carriers as early and often as it can... 

Late 1980s. 

Legacy, terminal based, database systems are common at many corporations (including some very big ones). These become backbone IT systems, often time custom links are written to connect these databases with other software programs (accounting, payroll, supply chain, etc) which makes it really hard to migrate to something new because literally, the entire company runs on these systems.

I had a professor in graduate school that once did these IT migrations for Fortune 500 companies. The costs were frequently upwards of $50 million to do the migration with a multiple year timeline to implement the changes.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:41 PM, roeco said:

Betterez (Which Cold Shot,Rider Express,Mahikan and Kasper use is one of the best), 

Betterez is still in the start-up phase.

Five years from now, if their business model is not viable/scalable and they don't make it to an IPO, and instead close up shop, who will support the software?