Greyhound in the news

A. Wong

Some passengers were left stranded on a running bus in Redding, California today after a driver called off. It began around 8 in the morning and as of 530pm the replacement driver Greyhound found had still not showed. Supposedly the driver reached the end of his run, announced the stop as 15-20 minutes got off and left the bus running and the door wide open. No verification of whether his relief was there or not... 

https://krcrtv.com/news/local/dozens-of-greyhound-bus-passengers-stranded-in-redding-on-thursday

The Jackson Redevelopment Authority  (Mississippi) has sued Greyhound and FLIX North America for $617,000 in back rent on the station that they have owed beginning before March 2020. They also allege that Greyhound has not dealt with a fuel tank it had installed at the station per the agreement they had to rent there. When the lease was up they were supposed to close it off or remove it. They also allege that Greyhound continued operating there after the termination of the lease on September 21st. 

https://www.wlbt.com/2022/10/26/jra-seeking-617k-back-rent-greyhound-parent-company/

5 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Greyhound has moved to a new Barons Bus owned site in Cincinnati There's a picture of the clearly temporary setup at the link.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2022/11/02/greyhound-begins-operations-from-new-location-in-arlington-heights/69613534007/

"This is an attractive, underutilized piece of real estate, and we purchased the property with a long-range goal of sale and redevelopment,'' Chavez officials told The Enquirer in an email. "This real estate is destined for better use.''

Well, that quote from the article sums it up in a nutshell..."better use".  

That seems to be the contention wherever bus terminals are or were located.  It's probably lucky for Cincy that Baron's got a facility, else Cincy would probably suffer the fate of Knoxville or Jackson....

On 11/2/2022 at 8:12 PM, traildriver said:

"This is an attractive, underutilized piece of real estate, and we purchased the property with a long-range goal of sale and redevelopment,'' Chavez officials told The Enquirer in an email. "This real estate is destined for better use.''

Well, that quote from the article sums it up in a nutshell..."better use".  

That seems to be the contention wherever bus terminals are or were located.  It's probably lucky for Cincy that Baron's got a facility, else Cincy would probably suffer the fate of Knoxville or Jackson....

But with 30 buses a day… can you imagine 30 buses a day at any small facility?

Speaking of Knoxville… they have received a notice that their new stop there violates zoning laws…

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/2022/11/08/knoxville-greyhound-stop-in-limbo-again-as-city-issues-violation/69614105007/

Well, at least Greyhound seems to be trying to find a new spot, and not simply abandoning the city.  It would be hard to do that since several different routes connect in Knoxville, and moving to a suburb outside the city would be an inconvenient detour for at least one of those routes.

The KAT transit center looks like a good solution, at least at night when space is available.   Perhaps they could use curbside loading during the busy hours of the day when the terminal is too busy to accommodate them?  At least the passengers would have a shelter and restrooms available nearby.

Probably Greyhound would balk at paying for the costs to make all that possible...

51 minutes ago, traildriver said:

Well, at least Greyhound seems to be trying to find a new spot, and not simply abandoning the city.  It would be hard to do that since several different routes connect in Knoxville, and moving to a suburb outside the city would be an inconvenient detour for at least one of those routes.

The KAT transit center looks like a good solution, at least at night when space is available.   Perhaps they could use curbside loading during the busy hours of the day when the terminal is too busy to accommodate them?  At least the passengers would have a shelter and restrooms available nearby.

Probably Greyhound would balk at paying for the costs to make all that possible...

That was my thought too… it’s interesting that the city keeps saying it’s reaching out and isn’t hearing anything back then mentions costs. FLIX is supposed to be flush with cash though…

https://katbus.com/DocumentCenter/View/161/Platform-Diagram-PDF?bidId=

This platform chart from KAT seem to indicate that they do have empty slots for buses, so I'm wondering if its just a payment issue

On another note, Cincinnati is just a big joke. I'm not sure if that new location even have good transit service serving it. Kind of wish the government would care more about intercity bus passengers instead of treating them all like "Greyhound" passengers. Maybe if the government nationalize the entire system, they would start caring?

Call me pessimistic, but I actively do believe the system will be gone one of these days replaced with interline partners like more of Jefferson Lines/Burlington Trailways. And Greyhound will just retreat to the East of the Mississippi/and maybe Texas, AZ, NM and California where they still have a somewhat of a real network

Nevermind that... the City of Knoxville is livid that they are using a city bus stop and a stop on the side of the road with no facilities without permission or permits. The owner of a barbershop this is in front of and the parking lot passengers are using was approached by Greyhound and offered $3500 a month for use of his business as a stop but he declined. As soon as the buses pulled up on Tuesday people began filing out and looking to use facilities... they began entering his business... something he doesn't want citing the unsavoryness of the crowd which often includes recently released prisoners. He also is livid they are using his lot. This looks really bad. It seems obvious to me that Greyhound (and I have a hunch it's really FLIX) thinks it can do whatever it wants wherever it wants.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/2022/11/23/new-knoxville-greyhound-stop-prompts-chaos-outrage/69674569007/

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/city-criticizes-greyhounds-new-east-knoxville-stop/51-8fea56b8-7fc4-4b62-9a26-bd301fd2a241

On 11/23/2022 at 5:09 PM, ns8401 said:

Nevermind that... the City of Knoxville is livid that they are using a city bus stop and a stop on the side of the road with no facilities without permission or permits. The owner of a barbershop this is in front of and the parking lot passengers are using was approached by Greyhound and offered $3500 a month for use of his business as a stop but he declined. As soon as the buses pulled up on Tuesday people began filing out and looking to use facilities... they began entering his business... something he doesn't want citing the unsavoryness of the crowd which often includes recently released prisoners. He also is livid they are using his lot. This looks really bad. It seems obvious to me that Greyhound (and I have a hunch it's really FLIX) thinks it can do whatever it wants wherever it wants.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/2022/11/23/new-knoxville-greyhound-stop-prompts-chaos-outrage/69674569007/

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/city-criticizes-greyhounds-new-east-knoxville-stop/51-8fea56b8-7fc4-4b62-9a26-bd301fd2a241

From their latest schedule it seems like at Knoxville passengers now only have a 10 minute stop. Which is probably not enough to wander too far away from the bus

I wonder why they won't use the Transit Center downtown? Maybe the city wanted too much money that they are not willing to pay? Maybe the city want GH to pay 100% of the cost for having the transit center open when the bus arrives?

4 hours ago, Rapidbus said:

From their latest schedule it seems like at Knoxville passengers now only have a 10 minute stop. Which is probably not enough to wander too far away from the bus

I wonder why they won't use the Transit Center downtown? Maybe the city wanted too much money that they are not willing to pay? Maybe the city want GH to pay 100% of the cost for having the transit center open when the bus arrives?

It’s far enough to trespass on the guys property right next to the bus stop and use his parking lot. Since it’s a driver change point keeping track would be really hard too… people have a tendency to walk away and you can’t watch them all the time. You could try to get everybody that isn’t going there to stay on the bus but a lot of their drivers don’t bring enough discipline to the table to convey that “we have to keep moving, we are gonna do this stop real quick, change drivers and get you going again so if you are not going to Knoxville please do not get off the bus”. 

Supposedly Greyhound balked at using it which seems really strange considering their buses come in what would certainly be off peak hours for the city bus (6pm-12am). I think it’s more telling of their mindset that they were denied permission by the barber and didn’t ask the city at all despite an issue over zoning and permits and just kind of did it anyways. They seem to think rules don’t apply to them or something. That will come back to bite them at some point.

Can they fine them? I would sit there waiting for them to arrive then have BY-LAW with the police there put a "boot" on their tire, each bus that arrives and then tow them away.

Flex keeps on thinking with a German/European attitude that they think Canada/US think the same way Europeans do. Hey Flex this isn't Europe or Germany, this is North America which thinks differently then you do? 

18 hours ago, ns8401 said:

It’s far enough to trespass on the guys property right next to the bus stop and use his parking lot. Since it’s a driver change point keeping track would be really hard too… people have a tendency to walk away and you can’t watch them all the time. You could try to get everybody that isn’t going there to stay on the bus but a lot of their drivers don’t bring enough discipline to the table to convey that “we have to keep moving, we are gonna do this stop real quick, change drivers and get you going again so if you are not going to Knoxville please do not get off the bus”. 

Supposedly Greyhound balked at using it which seems really strange considering their buses come in what would certainly be off peak hours for the city bus (6pm-12am). I think it’s more telling of their mindset that they were denied permission by the barber and didn’t ask the city at all despite an issue over zoning and permits and just kind of did it anyways. They seem to think rules don’t apply to them or something. That will come back to bite them at some point.

I’m not sure if Knoxville remained a driver change point. In the past I believe the Nashville driver will turn there, but with the new schedule, they seem to bring the bus to Roanoke, VA now. Atleast that’s what the new timetable seem to indicate, with the extra time added there

11 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Can they fine them? I would sit there waiting for them to arrive then have BY-LAW with the police there put a "boot" on their tire, each bus that arrives and then tow them away.

Flex keeps on thinking with a German/European attitude that they think Canada/US think the same way Europeans do. Hey Flex this isn't Europe or Germany, this is North America which thinks differently then you do? 

Ironically Flix doesn’t pull this in Europe with their government owned Central union bus depots and all. So it seems like curbside/crappy gas station is a US/Canada invention.

Plus driver sells cash tickets in Europe as well, so none of this e ticket crap as well

8 hours ago, Rapidbus said:

I’m not sure if Knoxville remained a driver change point. In the past I believe the Nashville driver will turn there, but with the new schedule, they seem to bring the bus to Roanoke, VA now. Atleast that’s what the new timetable seem to indicate, with the extra time added there

Ironically Flix doesn’t pull this in Europe with their government owned Central union bus depots and all. So it seems like curbside/crappy gas station is a US/Canada invention.

Plus driver sells cash tickets in Europe as well, so none of this e ticket crap as well

FLIX seems to take any kind of currency except for U.S. Dollars. I don’t know why that is. But if you look at their website there are all kinds of currencies listed for cash options. Then it says “we are not able to accept U.S. dollars at this time” or something to that effect. It’s interesting.