Greyhound in the news

A. Wong

On 7/2/2022 at 9:11 AM, traildriver said:

Makes no sense, but clearly they intend to close most, if not all, of their station’s, which are required for express business…

I wonder how much money they make off of it these days? We dropped out of the freight program in 2020 partially due to too many damage claims (much of which occurred elsewhere) so we weren’t making much of anything on it. 

Some folks in Cincinnati waited over 12 hours for their bus to leave headed towards Nashville. The A/C wasn’t working to boot.

https://local12.com/news/local/greyhound-passengers-wait-19-hours-bus-repeatedly-delayed-travel-fourth-4th-of-july-independence-day-vacation-public-transportation-cincinnati-ohio

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Grand Junction Colorado is going to be the next to fall… the local transit center is closing the ticket counter and they will no longer stop there starting July 16. No new location has been announced which makes me think the transit agency is pissed off and threw them out. Either way another city goes curbside.

https://www.nbc11news.com/2022/07/13/grand-junction-greyhound-stop-is-being-moved-no-new-location-has-been-announced/

5 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Looks like Grand Junction Colorado is going to be the next to fall… the local transit center is closing the ticket counter and they will no longer stop there starting July 16. No new location has been announced which makes me think the transit agency is pissed off and threw them out. Either way another city goes curbside.

https://www.nbc11news.com/2022/07/13/grand-junction-greyhound-stop-is-being-moved-no-new-location-has-been-announced/

Updated location,

It will be at the Shell at Horizon Drive next to the I-70 located at 745 Horizon Drive

Not nearly as good of a location as Downtown but not the worst, but it really did seems like they did something to piss the transit agency off, the press release GVTA put out didn't imply a good breakup

More on Grand Junction… apparently it was mutual and it was decided with Greyhound moving to an E-ticketing model they would no longer need to use the transit center since tickets wouldn’t be sold. So it’ll be an E-stop at a Shell station. 

https://www.gjsentinel.com/news/western_colorado/greyhound-station-moves-to-horizon-artists-space-could-move-into-old-station/article_220cd178-048a-11ed-897a-5bf2f83b6c84.html

Did I mention Knoxville was a driver change point yet?

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/bus-riders-stuck-in-knoxville-after-greyhound-cancels-trip-to-nashville/51-46f892c2-a467-43c8-9854-6ca2e797ac03

This story is ugly… very ugly. Greyhound is having a heck of a time with cancellations right now. They have put more runs on than they have drivers I think. 

It seems that 2022 will go down in history as one  of, if not the worst in public transport history, not only in the US, but in other parts of the world, as well. ?‍♂️  Between Greyhound, Amtrak, and the airlines, they all seem to be having a meltdown of sorts....?‍♂️

On 7/16/2022 at 11:06 AM, ns8401 said:

More on Grand Junction… apparently it was mutual and it was decided with Greyhound moving to an E-ticketing model they would no longer need to use the transit center since tickets wouldn’t be sold. So it’ll be an E-stop at a Shell station. 

https://www.gjsentinel.com/news/western_colorado/greyhound-station-moves-to-horizon-artists-space-could-move-into-old-station/article_220cd178-048a-11ed-897a-5bf2f83b6c84.html

Still it sounded like the breakup wasn't pretty. Probably Greyhound wanted to reduce their commission or something

7 hours ago, traildriver said:

It seems that 2022 will go down in history as one  of, if not the worst in public transport history, not only in the US, but in other parts of the world, as well. ?‍♂️  Between Greyhound, Amtrak, and the airlines, they all seem to be having a meltdown of sorts....?‍♂️

I think everyone is having a staffing shortage right now. Amtrak has been forced to cut many trains to ensure they have enough crews

The one thing that might be good out of all of this(just a guess)that those that don't have any experience(just graduating out of school or what have you)have a better chance of getting a job considering a labour shortage be it transportation, medical field, Tourism & Hospitality, restaurant, or what ever it may be, at least now employers are more likely to hire you then not.

10 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

The one thing that might be good out of all of this(just a guess)that those that don't have any experience(just graduating out of school or what have you)have a better chance of getting a job considering a labour shortage be it transportation, medical field, Tourism & Hospitality, restaurant, or what ever it may be, at least now employers are more likely to hire you then not.

Agreed...that, plus the war in Ukraine has added to the pandemic woes, causing high inflation due to supply and labour shortages...

FLIX has a new Dallas based subsidiary… FLIX North America Inc. It will oversee US, Canada and Mexico operations for both Greyhound and FLIX. Lots of talk about synergies now…. But still keeping them separate. Greyhounds CEO is retiring effective immediately and will remain an advisor till the end of the year and their interim CFO has been relieved. COO Bill Blankenship who’s been at Greyhound for 25 years will be the President of Greyhound. Some guy who had his bus company in Turkey bought by FLIX in 2019 will be CEO of the new entity and a guy from the wine and spirits industry will be CFO. So that makes Greyhound effectively powerless if these guys from FLIX who are watching over everything yell Jump!…

Heres their press release:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/flix-se-launches-flix-north-america-inc-to-oversee-us-canada-and-mexico-operations-for-flixbus-inc-and-greyhound-lines-inc-301591034.html

This particular paragraph doesn’t exactly make it sound like they’ll be totally independent of one another:

"FlixBus and Greyhound's dedication to consumers has made them both leaders in the intercity bus industry," said Kai Boysan, CEO of Flix North America, Inc. "Now, with Flix North America, we can harness both brands' strengths and provide the best, most accessible transportation solution. Together with the existing team, we will push boundaries and work towards profitable growth."    

As a matter of fact if you read the about a little farther below…

Flix North America Inc., parent company of FlixBus Inc. and Greyhound Lines, Inc., is the largest intercity bus transportation provider in North America. A subsidiary of Germany-based mobility company Flix SE, Flix North America Inc. provides services in the United States, Canada, and Mexico, with over 2,500 destinations across its network. Flix North America Inc. shares Flix SE's vision of offering affordable and environmentally friendly transportation for all people.  

Thats more or less the old Greyhound “about us” paragraph with FLIX verbiage swapped in. I have the feeling they’ll just slowly phase out Greyhound until nobody notices it’s gone.

' "For more than 100 years, Greyhound provided accessible travel across North America," said Dave Leach. "And for over 30 years I have been proud to be a part of such an incredible team and legendary brand. I have every confidence that Kai and Flix North America will not only protect that legacy but improve upon it with its global approach, smart technology, and an environmental-friendly focus. '

??????

Sorry, 'protect?' With how Greyhound is going curbside and stranding people, I just have to laugh lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

' "For more than 100 years, Greyhound provided accessible travel across North America," said Dave Leach. "And for over 30 years I have been proud to be a part of such an incredible team and legendary brand. I have every confidence that Kai and Flix North America will not only protect that legacy but improve upon it with its global approach, smart technology, and an environmental-friendly focus. '

??????

Sorry, 'protect?' With how Greyhound is going curbside and stranding people, I just have to laugh lol

30 years ago Greyhound was a very different dog than it is today. And not for the better. If it was actually a dog, 30 years ago, it was mildly sick, now its sickness is terminal

I don't know how Greyhound/Flix will improve its image, but I am hoping they do try to do that. You can't revitalize bus travel in this country without rehabilitating Greyhound's name

I was doing some thinking and I realized that Greyhound treats its passengers more like freight versus humans. They assume people will endure whatever path/schedules it set with no regards to travel times, and middle of the night transfers. CN/CP abandoned its railroad through Ottawa Valley because they assume freight shippers wouldn't mind the extra length of delivery via Toronto. Every time Greyhound cut service, I have a feeling they also believes the same thing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rapidbus said:

30 years ago Greyhound was a very different dog than it is today. And not for the better. If it was actually a dog, 30 years ago, it was mildly sick, now its sickness is terminal

I don't know how Greyhound/Flix will improve its image, but I am hoping they do try to do that. You can't revitalize bus travel in this country without rehabilitating Greyhound's name

I was doing some thinking and I realized that Greyhound treats its passengers more like freight versus humans. They assume people will endure whatever path/schedules it set with no regards to travel times, and middle of the night transfers. CN/CP abandoned its railroad through Ottawa Valley because they assume freight shippers wouldn't mind the extra length of delivery via Toronto. Every time Greyhound cut service, I have a feeling they also believes the same thing.

You are correct, I’ve been saying the same thing. Often people are routed out of their way for the added miles and revenue. If you want to appeal to average people with options for travel you absolutely CANNOT do that. Flix thinks the U.S. is gonna become some kind of European style sharing economy environment conscious thing…. That would be a good thing for the planet but we are unusually resistant to change. Any attempt to be non-traditional in a whiplash inducing way misreads the behavior of the population at large. We are not now and have never been Europe in terms of behavior.

No link.... Seattle is going bye-bye in September. The station will be closed and the agent terminated. My assumption at the moment is that they will try this one as an experiment with curbside in a large city. My understanding is the building has been sold.

2 hours ago, ns8401 said:

No link.... Seattle is going bye-bye in September. The station will be closed and the agent terminated. My assumption at the moment is that they will try this one as an experiment with curbside in a large city. My understanding is the building has been sold.

I wonder if they would move to King Street Station (which, IIRC, had been considered about a decade or so ago).  The current station isn't that old (less than a decade old).

1 hour ago, 118 Vashon via EXPRESS said:

I wonder if they would move to King Street Station (which, IIRC, had been considered about a decade or so ago).  The current station isn't that old (less than a decade old).

I wonder if it might become something like what happens at Union Station in Chicago? There are no agents there but several companies drop off and pick up there on the street. That way it would be multimodal with as minimal overhead as possible. 

On 7/28/2022 at 2:24 AM, ns8401 said:

I wonder if it might become something like what happens at Union Station in Chicago? There are no agents there but several companies drop off and pick up there on the street. That way it would be multimodal with as minimal overhead as possible. 

You may be quoting the future operation of Chicago area operations when they eventually dispose of their Chicago Terminal

The Greyhound station in Philadelphia which opened in 1985 is going to be demolished in the next year or two to become part of the site of the Philadelphia 76ers new arena. Greyhound has reached out to the government for help finding a new site.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/sixers-arena-expands-chinatown-greyhound-station-filbert-street-20220801.html

Shotting issue? What the hell is going on in the US with all these shootings? It's either the police shoting someone or some crazed gun nut shooting individuals?

Philadelphia Station? Well at least there putting a New Arena for one Phil's sports team instead some ritzy condo building

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

Shotting issue? What the hell is going on in the US with all these shootings? It's either the police shoting someone or some crazed gun nut shooting individuals?

Philadelphia Station? Well at least there putting a New Arena for one Phil's sports team instead some ritzy condo building

Welcome to the Wild West my friend… there have been numerous shootings at (or more like among the loiterers) at the stations over the years…

86865 Went off the expressway, struck a guard catch fence and flipped on its side landing in the parking lot of a business near Visalia, California. There were several minor to moderate injuries, 21 of 34 were transported to hospitals, several of them were children.

https://abc30.com/bus-crash-tulare-greyhound-highway-99/12095463/

The left side isn’t bad but the passenger side was heavily damaged:

https://fox40.com/news/chp-multiple-people-injured-in-greyhound-bus-crash-in-tulare-county/

On 8/2/2022 at 12:25 PM, ns8401 said:

The Greyhound station in Philadelphia which opened in 1985 is going to be demolished in the next year or two to become part of the site of the Philadelphia 76ers new arena. Greyhound has reached out to the government for help finding a new site.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/sixers-arena-expands-chinatown-greyhound-station-filbert-street-20220801.html

Wonder where they are going to dump Greyhound at now... Theres not much suitable curbside or bus terminal nearby, maybe at Market + 6th like Flixbus and Megabus? 

Same goes with Chicago when the station is sold, Will they relocate to union Sta or 95th Street-Dan/Ryan