Greyhound in the news

A. Wong

With a wage reduction I’m sure greyhound will start working their drivers more and more then they already do, simply because these operators were used to a certain amount a month vs the reduction. Hopefully their union has made it clear in writing that it’s a temporary measure ( 2 years at 10% reduction ) and won’t allow First to push the low wages 

I'm not sure if Greyhound will be operating for the Thanksgiving weekend? At least not out of Ottawa. They only announced last week their leaving the Central Bus Terminal here in Ottawa and have yet to announce their new pick up/drop off location? I hope its a some LRT Station Airport or Train Station where you can wait inside instead on the street? Ottawa can be FRIGIN COLD in the winter!!!

It's going to be interesting to see what they do in Montreal? From my understanding Greyhound Canada does Ottawa/Montreal & Greyhound USA I think in a pool wiyth another provider(Trailways I think but not sure)or something like that going Montreal/New York/Boston?

20 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm not sure if Greyhound will be operating for the Thanksgiving weekend? At least not out of Ottawa. They only announced last week their leaving the Central Bus Terminal here in Ottawa and have yet to announce their new pick up/drop off location? I hope its a some LRT Station Airport or Train Station where you can wait inside instead on the street? Ottawa can be FRIGIN COLD in the winter!!!

It's going to be interesting to see what they do in Montreal? From my understanding Greyhound Canada does Ottawa/Montreal & Greyhound USA I think in a pool wiyth another provider(Trailways I think but not sure)or something like that going Montreal/New York/Boston?

Greyhound Lines Inc. (USA), runs from Montreal to Boston via Burlington, Vt.; and they run a pooled schedule to New York with Adirondack Trailways.   That is whenever international travel resumes...

3 hours ago, traildriver said:

Greyhound Lines Inc. (USA), runs from Montreal to Boston via Burlington, Vt.; and they run a pooled schedule to New York with Adirondack Trailways.   That is whenever international travel resumes...

But will they leave the Central Bus terminal in Montreal? They left the one in OTTAWA, they left the Toronto Bus Terminal? and several other terminals? Will they leave the Central Bus Terminal in Montreal for another location? Perhaps  Dorval Airport? 

3 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

But will they leave the Central Bus terminal in Montreal? They left the one in OTTAWA, they left the Toronto Bus Terminal? and several other terminals? Will they leave the Central Bus Terminal in Montreal for another location? Perhaps  Dorval Airport? 

Considering both Adirondack Trailways and Greyhound Lines are Tenants, and Greyhound Canada has an agreement with both carriers for those travelling from Ottawa going to Boston and NYC, I doubt that Greyhound Canada will move. I believe they have an agreement with Keolis for Quebec City (formally with Orleans). So ya, I don't see Greyhound Canada moving out of the Bus Terminal in Montreal.

10 minutes ago, Megabus Rider said:

Considering both Adirondack Trailways and Greyhound Lines are Tenants, and Greyhound Canada has an agreement with both carriers for those travelling from Ottawa going to Boston and NYC, I doubt that Greyhound Canada will move. I believe they have an agreement with Keolis for Quebec City (formally with Orleans). So ya, I don't see Greyhound Canada moving out of the Bus Terminal in Montreal.

They were instructed by Dallas to cut costs as much as possible before reinstating service. From what I hear, Montreal bus terminal is on the chopping block, the yearly cost to operate from there is very expensive. They're considering a road side pick up/drop off just like Megabus.

Their eye's are on the Toronto coach terminal also. If im not mistaken, their lease payments to the TTC costs $2 Million a year and in turn, Coach Canada and Ontario Northland is leasing some of the platforms from Greyhound.

It seems like Dallas is doing the same around the US. Buffalo Station is no longer a board point, all the employees were laid off, and Buffalo will now be treated as a flag stop. Utilizing only 2 platforms from the NFTA.

4 minutes ago, INowKnowwhY said:

It seems like Dallas is doing the same around the US. Buffalo Station is no longer a board point, all the employees were laid off, and Buffalo will now be treated as a flag stop. Utilizing only 2 platforms from the NFTA.

As soon as international travel resumes, I can't see them operating thru Toronto to New York City service, with just a "flag stop" at Buffalo, since they have to change driver's there...

Just now, traildriver said:

As soon as international travel resumes, I can't see them operating thru Toronto to New York City service, with just a "flag stop" at Buffalo, since they have to change driver's there...

I agree, unless a Canadian driver runs it through to Syracuse.... but then Greyhound Canada drivers would have to log their hours electronically, which they currently don't.

1 minute ago, INowKnowwhY said:

I agree, unless a Canadian driver runs it through to Syracuse.... but then Greyhound Canada drivers would have to log their hours electronically, which they currently don't.

That won't happen, different carrier's.   And...unless the Canadian driver has dual citizenship, or special work permits, he can't carry passenger's that are not crossing the border.

• 3 months later...

Interesting doings in Denver... Greyhound is putting its Maintanance facility (acquired in the Trailways merger in 1987) as well as 2 other bus storage areas adjacent to it up for sale and it need not be to the same buyer. They would like to demolish the buildings. This comes on the heels of the closure and sale of the Denver station in favor of using Denver Union Stations bus area.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/01/22/greyhound-denver-sale/

This sounds to me like First unloading assets as best it can before closure. 

5 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Interesting doings in Denver... Greyhound is putting its Maintanance facility (acquired in the Trailways merger in 1987) as well as 2 other bus storage areas adjacent to it up for sale and it need not be to the same buyer. They would like to demolish the buildings. This comes on the heels of the closure and sale of the Denver station in favor of using Denver Union Stations bus area.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/01/22/greyhound-denver-sale/

This sounds to me like First unloading assets as best it can before closure. 

Wow...that story brings back memories...I worked at that building between January of 1974 and June of 1979.   When I first came there, we had several old Flxible Hi-Level's, a pair of Kassbohrer 'Galenke' articulated's, and the earliest model Golden Eagles, with the rear lounges, and some PD-4104's, in storage, amongst our fleet of modern Eagle's.   We also had one PD-4903 laying over alternate days belonging to Mid-Continent Coaches, used on our Denver-Garden City-Oklahoma City pool trip.  And in summertime, we hosted visiting charter companies from all over North America.

The administration offices for the Rocky Mountain region were located on the first floor.  Ralph Berndt, the VP and General Manager, occupied the corner office.  The dispatch office and driver's room were located on the second floor, as was the training office.   That was a complete maintenance facility, but there was also a body shop paint shop across 25th Street.  That might have just been leaased.     

We also had a dispatch booth in the terminal's.   One asst. dispatcher would work there during the busiest times, to supervise loading, and call for extra section's, but otherwise, the rest of us worked in the main office.

In light of how the Denver operation has shrunk so far, I am really surprised they had not done this a while ago...

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. This leaves Ottawa without a "Coach Terminal" I suspect Ontario North Land and not sure of the other coach company sill there find a new location. I suspect both ONL & the other coach company will move to the VIA rail Station. Now whether Greyhound goes there as well or some other coach company(from the deregulation) moves there as well remains to be seen, but I saw this coming. The owner can't operating costs & Taxes with only two coach companies with limited service.

5 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Interesting. This leaves Ottawa without a "Coach Terminal" I suspect Ontario North Land and not sure of the other coach company sill there find a new location. I suspect both ONL & the other coach company will move to the VIA rail Station. Now whether Greyhound goes there as well or some other coach company(from the deregulation) moves there as well remains to be seen, but I saw this coming. The owner can't operating costs & Taxes with only two coach companies with limited service.

I would def think that VIA Rail station would be the most ideal solution. As it has all the facilities that any coach company would need.

5 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

To my knowledge. Ontario Northland was the only one left at the Cathrine bus stn.
Transcollines (Hwy 148 service) pulled out of Ottawa at the beginning of January. 

22 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Ontario Northland's only departure from Ottawa to Sudbury starts at the General Hospital/CHEO, then heads to Tremblay (Via-Rail Station) before heading to Ottawa Central Station as a rest stop.

Coming from Sudbury to Ottawa, those three stops are only on request after Ottawa Central Station. Meaning the passenger would have to purchase a ticket for either the train station or hospital in order to continue forward. Other than that, they would have to disembark at Ottawa Central Station and connect to the 55 if they want the hospital or along Bank Street if they want frequent bus connections. Paying OC Transpo fare.

From the other comments, Ottawa Train Station is the best suited location for intercity coach buses. At least with Ontario Northland, you can show your ticket on mobile device or show photo identification and the operator would check his manifest on people on the trip. Greyhound on the other hand, the challenge is that you needed a printed ticket or you don't board. 

Well I don't know what the future holds for inter-city travel from Ottawa to other locations using a Coach? Whether that's at the Train Station or not remains to be seen. It's not like there are 100's of departures/day from Ottawa?

As far as I can recall Montreal & Toronto had the most departures daily, not sure about ONT.

As for the ticket issue, I'm sure either ONT or Greyhound(assuming they go there or who ever buys Greyhound or takes over there routes might set up a Kiast  or make arrangements for Via agents to sell the tickets.

In any case I don't see a new coach terminal being built. As to where inter-city coach service out Ottawa will be in the next year or two remains to be seen, but my bet is the VIA Rail Station, which if so at least you'll be able to wait in side a warm building during the winter months. Not to keen waiting out side in -20+C temps

On 2/17/2021 at 7:17 PM, MCIBUS said:

Well I don't know what the future holds for inter-city travel from Ottawa to other locations using a Coach? Whether that's at the Train Station or not remains to be seen. It's not like there are 100's of departures/day from Ottawa?

As far as I can recall Montreal & Toronto had the most departures daily, not sure about ONT.

As for the ticket issue, I'm sure either ONT or Greyhound(assuming they go there or who ever buys Greyhound or takes over there routes might set up a Kiast  or make arrangements for Via agents to sell the tickets.

In any case I don't see a new coach terminal being built. As to where inter-city coach service out Ottawa will be in the next year or two remains to be seen, but my bet is the VIA Rail Station, which if so at least you'll be able to wait in side a warm building during the winter months. Not to keen waiting out side in -20+C temps

The VIA station in Ottawa already has a shuttle stop in front for some flight crews before the pandemic. I'm sure they could make space for a few buses to load at a time. 

With the Toronto terminal closing I wonder where they plan to pick up passengers from Toronto? Did they make an agreement to use the new GO Terminal? I dont remember if anyone said if ONR is planning on using it. Did can-ar move to the new terminal? 

31 minutes ago, Shaun said:

The VIA station in Ottawa already has a shuttle stop in front for some flight crews before the pandemic. I'm sure they could make space for a few buses to load at a time. 

With the Toronto terminal closing I wonder where they plan to pick up passengers from Toronto? Did they make an agreement to use the new GO Terminal? I dont remember if anyone said if ONR is planning on using it. Did can-ar move to the new terminal? 

Never seen any news that the Toronto Coach Terminal was closing...

Does it need to? Yes. Are there any plans to? Nope.

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

So is there any chance of greyhound coming back?

Coming back where?  If you mean the Plaza hotel stop, clearly not.  The article says the hotel is going to rebuild that area into other uses.  

If you mean the bus line in general...doesn't look very promising.   I heard that FirstGroup finally sold it, but until that is confirmed, and we know the intentions and ability of the purchaser, who knows??