Greyhound in the news

A. Wong

7 hours ago, vortoozo said:

Why would someone want to buy Greyhound, and all of it's baggage, when they can just cherry pick routes of interest?

Because, unless I am mistaken, bus routes in Canada are still regulated?   Not sure about that, though...

And in order to "cherry pick" the strong routes, they would have to cross-subsidize them with the weaker routes?   Again, I am not sure....

2 hours ago, traildriver said:

Because, unless I am mistaken, bus routes in Canada are still regulated?   Not sure about that, though...

And in order to "cherry pick" the strong routes, they would have to cross-subsidize them with the weaker routes?   Again, I am not sure....

Yes, they are and that is probably precisely why Greyhound is bugging out. They don't want to cross-subsidize anything and they don't want to run anything that doesn't make a profit. Furthermore, Greyhound was running many routes that couldn't support anywhere near a 45-footer. What's the point of using a 55-seat D4505 on the Whitehorse run if that only had an average of 3 passengers per trip at 3x weekly?

By the way, almost all of the equipment will likely be sold as Greyhound just listed approx. 20 more units for sale, including D4505s.

36 minutes ago, Swadian said:

Yes, they are and that is probably precisely why Greyhound is bugging out. They don't want to cross-subsidize anything and they don't want to run anything that doesn't make a profit. Furthermore, Greyhound was running many routes that couldn't support anywhere near a 45-footer. What's the point of using a 55-seat D4505 on the Whitehorse run if that only had an average of 3 passengers per trip at 3x weekly?

By the way, almost all of the equipment will likely be sold as Greyhound just listed approx. 20 more units for sale, including D4505s.

If you go to a Greyhound Connect sized Bus then your losses shrink quite a bit you’d think... but then again they’d lose the freight space.

So we are all in agreement that the freight even if it was substantial couldn’t pay the bills well enough to make it viable?

GCX was financially viable...just not with First Running it....I think in parts of BC and Ab you may see someone cherry pick Greyhounds best freight customers and Certain corridors. Also Their are some passenger corridors that could be viable...Vancouver to Kamloops and Kelowna also Kelowna to Calgary. Edmonton to Saskatoon and Grande Prairie. Edmonton to Calgary.

It seems like they ran their business into the ground on purpose. 

Late busses, breaking down in the middle of nowhere, poor customer service, loosing agents and not informing people that agents changed. The list goes on and on. 

10 hours ago, traildriver said:

Some provinces regulate bus routes.

Take the BC market.

If someone bought Greyhound, that would come with all current route authorities and commitments. The ones that make money, and the ones that don't.

Instead, that company can now apply to service the routes that they see a business case on. Eg Vancouver - Kelowna etc.

But a passenger would need to transfer buses at each province. Would the tickets allow interlining? Would the schedules match to continue one after another? 

What if there is no bus service in Saskatchewan? How would you get to Manitoba? Leaves some serious gaps. 

6 hours ago, roeco said:

GCX was financially viable...just not with First Running it....I think in parts of BC and Ab you may see someone cherry pick Greyhounds best freight customers and Certain corridors. Also Their are some passenger corridors that could be viable...Vancouver to Kamloops and Kelowna also Kelowna to Calgary. Edmonton to Saskatoon and Grande Prairie. Edmonton to Calgary.

As I've pointed out before, if Greyhound itself was not viable, than neither was GCX. Period. This isn't a "we will agree to disagree" item. It's just straight up accounting.

Pacific Western (both Red Arrow and the lower priced Ebus) already runs Calgary-Edmonton.

Greyhound has already turned over all it's Vancouver Island services to Tofino Bus who seem to be doing a better job serving that market than Greyhound did.

Another company (Cantrail or Pacific Coach maybe) will likely pick up the TCH\Coq services in BC, though bus service in BC is not deregulated so it depends on whether the government will allow this without forcing unprofitable routes as a condition.

Those are some of the larger intercity bus corridors in Western Canada. The problem is that it's usually cheaper to fly between the major prairie cities than to take the bus (Winnipeg-Calgary one-way is $119 for example - unless you really hate flying why would anyone take the 19 hour bus trip). That doesn't help people who live in small towns without a car though.

7 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Both Maritime Bus and Kasper Transportation are looking at adding routes in the wake of the announcement:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/greyhound-canada-bus-follow-1.4740974

It's good to hear that...I hope more than rhetoric is the result.  Thanks for the link.   The comments were very interesting too,  although I couldn't possibly read all of the hundreds of them...

In BC, Wilson's is looking at some of the major routes:

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/wilson-s-looks-at-taking-over-some-greyhound-bus-routes-1.23363924

Wilson's took over Vancouver - Victoria service from Pacific Coach a year or two ago. They also applied for Victoria - Nanaimo service when Greyhound announced they were discontinuing it, but were denied by the PTB since two other operators already service the route (and beyond).

8 hours ago, vortoozo said:

In BC, Wilson's is looking at some of the major routes:

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/wilson-s-looks-at-taking-over-some-greyhound-bus-routes-1.23363924

Wilson's took over Vancouver - Victoria service from Pacific Coach a year or two ago. They also applied for Victoria - Nanaimo service when Greyhound announced they were discontinuing it, but were denied by the PTB since two other operators already service the route (and beyond).

Wilsons could easily pick up some lucrative routes. Vancouver via Langley,Abbotsford,Chilliwack and Hope to Kamloops/Kelowna. Wilsons could even establish a base in Kelowna and take on other routes also.

I would think that surely someone could operate one or two trans-Canada schedules, at least in the busy tourist season.   While such a schedule would not always be ideal for use as local transportation during its necessary overnight segments, there is still a market for the "student backpacker's" that favor the bus to really see the country. 

Or they could set it up, for daylignt only, with stops where budget lodging is available.   And it would still offer a 'lifeline' to those communities with no other public transportation, even if the schedule was not always convenient...

If it would take two (or more) carrier's to either run a pool operation, or at least coordinated connection's, and interline ticketing, that would still be better than nothing, or having gaps in the route with no service...

In Reno, NV Greyhound is threatening to sue the city and threatening to end service over a station agreement gone awry... 

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2018/07/12/greyhound-threatens-lawsuit-regional-transportation-commission-city-reno/776279002/

Meanwhile the Canadian freight operations may be replaced by other services:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-package-delivery-companies-see-opportunity-as-greyhound-ends-western/?cmpid=rss

And lastly British Columbia is fast tracking service applications from other carriers...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-greyhound-bus-1.4743122

On 7/10/2018 at 7:24 PM, Shaun said:

It seems like they ran their business into the ground on purpose. 

Late busses, breaking down in the middle of nowhere, poor customer service, loosing agents and not informing people that agents changed. The list goes on and on. 

I brought this up awhile ago when I first joined this forum, most of you ignored me or changed the subject.

Clearly all of this has been orchestrated. One would think that an elite company this large that has allegedly been losing money for years, would cut the kings head off and find someone that COULD turn it around. But nope, once again Greyhound is playing the blame game and they're actually doing a wicked job at brainwashing the nation and the government into thinking that the route are unsustainable.

To add insult to injury, First group "destroyed" their school bus operations all over Canada. This is truly the worst transportation company in the history of mankind.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roeco said:

I wonder if any new potential operator would be able to use the current Edmonton VIA station for passenger operations??

Who would want to use that eyesore?  Not like it has connections to anywhere

Edmonton needed a new central depot, and still does.

But red arrow has a place downtown that seems to doing ok

2 hours ago, INowKnowwhY said:

I brought this up awhile ago when I first joined this forum, most of you ignored me or changed the subject.

Clearly all of this has been orchestrated. One would think that an elite company this large that has allegedly been losing money for years, would cut the kings head off and find someone that COULD turn it around. But nope, once again Greyhound is playing the blame game and they're actually doing a wicked job at brainwashing the nation and the government into thinking that the route are unsustainable.

To add insult to injury, First group "destroyed" their school bus operations all over Canada. This is truly the worst transportation company in the history of mankind.

Reminds me of Target coming north.  No way they were that inept.

3 hours ago, INowKnowwhY said:

You pretty much summarized what majority of Greyhound employees feel about First Group.

Perhaps Canada should have used the same rules of foreign ownership of certain businesses to buslines, as they limit airline ownership to 25%, I believe....could have made a big difference...

The US should have done likewise...

JMHO...