Greyhound in the news

A. Wong

1 hour ago, Swadian said:

Greyhound did not pull out of Western Colorado; they still run I-70 3x daily. They pulled out of Durango, but not Grand Junction or Glenwood Springs.

Whoops, thanks. 

Still interesting nonetheless... either way it sounds like they’ve improved on whatever was lost...

They probably did improve, but the "300% increase" must have been Bustang comparing themselves to themselves as Greyhound does not release ridership figures and Bustang does interline with Greyhound. So it's sort of like Greyhound dropped the unprofitable routes and had government-funded Bustang take over.

4 hours ago, Swadian said:

They probably did improve, but the "300% increase" must have been Bustang comparing themselves to themselves as Greyhound does not release ridership figures and Bustang does interline with Greyhound. So it's sort of like Greyhound dropped the unprofitable routes and had government-funded Bustang take over.

I’d be willing to bet that the ridership at the end of Greyhound and the beginning of Bustang was similar. I’d also be willing to bet that if the state wanted that data they could get it. Assuming that either is true it would make the 300% a fairly substantial claim. But apparently either way there is life after Greyhound...

16 hours ago, ns8401 said:

I’d be willing to bet that the ridership at the end of Greyhound and the beginning of Bustang was similar. I’d also be willing to bet that if the state wanted that data they could get it. Assuming that either is true it would make the 300% a fairly substantial claim. But apparently either way there is life after Greyhound...

l agree except that a private carrier is not required to release ridership data to anyone unless they are using public funds. Therefore, Greyhound is not required to release ridership data to Colorado. Either way, I'm sure Bustang is doing a good job but at one point a few years ago I heard that they were struggling. There was no brand recognition compared to Greyhound.

l agree except that a private carrier is not required to release ridership data to anyone unless they are using public funds. Therefore, Greyhound is not required to release ridership data to Colorado. Either way, I'm sure Bustang is doing a good job but at one point a few years ago I heard that they were struggling. There was no brand recognition compared to Greyhound.

Well why would there be any brand recognition compared to Greyhound? It was brand new...

If the state had to do a ridership study before launching Bustang then they had to have gotten the data from the eliminated stops somehow. They may not be required to give it but Greyhound has often been willing to share in the past, just not with your local daily fish wrap.

• Like 1

I think the only commuter services left in the GTA are Toronto-Barrie and Toronto-KW. The former is still well used for reverse commuting to the University of Waterloo. All the intercity services in Windsor-Montreal corridor are very well used. If Greyhound ever pulls out (or the PC government deregulates) Trentway-Wagar (Megabus) and probably Pacific Western would likely take them over.

4 hours ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

I think the only commuter services left in the GTA are Toronto-Barrie and Toronto-KW. The former is still well used for reverse commuting to the University of Waterloo. All the intercity services in Windsor-Montreal corridor are very well used. If Greyhound ever pulls out (or the PC government deregulates) Trentway-Wagar (Megabus) and probably Pacific Western would likely take them over.

There are also commuter trips from Peterborough-Toronto and Guelph-Toronto (although one can usually consider Guelph to be in the same corridor as KW).

Coach Canada/Megabus would be the leading candidate to pick up any routes that Greyhound eliminates - Ottawa would probably be the one they would like the most to complement their Toronto-Kingston-Montreal route. PW is less likely as they don't currently run any scheduled line-haul service in Ontario, and they would need more equipment. Can-Ar is also a possibility, and they already run scheduled service from Toronto up to Lindsay and Haliburton.

As @IRT_BMT_IND said above, Greyhound in Southern Ontario is doing very well - largely in part due to a higher population density and a lot of ridership from post-secondary schools. Most of these routes will not get eliminated unless Greyhound exits the Canadian market altogether. There have been small cuts here and there every so often but most corridors still have plenty of service, and as mentioned above Greyhound doesn't want to lose their lucrative business here as there are many companies waiting to take over their routes if given the chance.

As for Ontario Northland - they added service along Hwy 17 west of Sudbury only to replace the second daily trip that Greyhound eliminated a few years ago. It's not as much a new service to compete with Greyhound as it is filling the demand where Greyhound cut back service.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, ns8401 said:

Well why would there be any brand recognition compared to Greyhound? It was brand new...

If the state had to do a ridership study before launching Bustang then they had to have gotten the data from the eliminated stops somehow. They may not be required to give it but Greyhound has often been willing to share in the past, just not with your local daily fish wrap.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you, but the GJ Sentinel article that you quoted said:

"That became apparent over the years as the service has had a 300 percent increase in ridership since the first runs began in July 2015."

So, if the first run had 1 passenger and the run now has 4 passengers, that would be a 300% increase. Of course the article actually quotes "15,000 annual ridership", so the ridership in 2015 was probably something like 3,750.

The reason I'm pointing this out is because there was a certain not-so-honorable company touting a 1500% increase of ridership in the first year. Just semantics.

Quit ganging up on me and calling me a "local daily fish wrap". I'm reading the words from the article, and the article you quoted did not mention Greyhound ridership at all; it only mentioned Bustang comparing themselves to themselves. Even if Bustang obtained Greyhound ridership figures, it was not mentioned in the article you quoted. If that wasn't your intention, then let's move on. We agree on Bustang's success anyway.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you, but the GJ Sentinel article that you quoted said:

"That became apparent over the years as the service has had a 300 percent increase in ridership since the first runs began in July 2015."

So, if the first run had 1 passenger and the run now has 4 passengers, that would be a 300% increase. Of course the article actually quotes "15,000 annual ridership", so the ridership in 2015 was probably something like 3,750.

The reason I'm pointing this out is because there was a certain not-so-honorable company touting a 1500% increase of ridership in the first year. Just semantics.

Quit ganging up on me and calling me a "local daily fish wrap". I'm just reading the words from the article, and the article you quoted did not mention Greyhound ridership at all; it only mentioned Bustang comparing themselves to themselves. Even if Bustang obtained Greyhound ridership figures, it was not mentioned in the article you quoted. If that wasn't your intention, then let's move on. There's already 5 members of this forum who arrogantly think I'm a blustering fool (I will not name names). We agree on Bustang's success anyway.

I don’t consider you a blustering fool at all. I’m enjoying what you’re writing. I also wasn’t referring to you at all. Daily fish wrap refers to a newspaper not worth much more than as a wrapper... junk articles poorly written. So the East Cupcake Daily Herald May not get ridership info easily but the state probably could to gauge the service demand. 

Try to be a bit less sensitive and read things with less fear that it’s a criticism of you. I’m not even certain how you interpret some of these things as an attack on you...

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

I don’t consider you a blustering fool at all. I’m enjoying what you’re writing. I also wasn’t referring to you at all. Daily fish wrap refers to a newspaper not worth much more than as a wrapper... junk articles poorly written. So the East Cupcake Daily Herald May not get ridership info easily but the state probably could to gauge the service demand. 

Try to be a bit less sensitive and read things with less fear that it’s a criticism of you. I’m not even certain how you interpret some of these things as an attack on you...

No, it's not you and I misunderstood. There's certain members here where I have gotten into flame wars with before on a different forum, and it turned uncivil fast. I'm also getting dissed every day at my occupation for security and liability reasons. That must be why I'm so sensitive, and I'll try to be less so in the future.

Greyhound has won a contract with Washington State for service from the North Olympic Peninsula to Seattle and Sea-Tac. Previously operated by Olympic Bus Lines since 1998, Greyhound will take over the service on July 1st. The contract runs through July 1, 2022 and includes a 4 year extension option. The route sees 10-15 riders a day. A stop will be added in Port Townsend as well. Times will be adjusted slightly at first and will be massaged from there as needed. Greyhound will use its own 24 passenger buses for the service as opposed to the current state owned 27 passenger units.

As for Olympic... they will cease operating buses and focus on the owners car rental franchises in the area and simply sell tickets for Greyhound. 

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/greyhound-to-take-over-dungeness-line-adding-port-townsend-stop/

The Ithaca NY bus station is shutting down because the current agents are retiring and the buildings owner wants to stop using it as a bus station. It’s served by: Greyhound, Chenango Valley Bus Lines, ShortLine Bus (Coach USA) and Trailways of New York. By the looks of things Ithaca will become a curbside stop soon.

https://ithacavoice.com/2018/07/ithaca-bus-depot-shut-down/

• Sad 1

So I guess you won't be able to take a cross country trip on greyhound anymore. 

It is up to the individual provinces to provide services to their people. This would mean that in each province you would need to transfer to another bus company if the provinces where to start their own bus service. 

Something needs to be done at the federal level to provide a bus service across Canada. 

If there is an increase in service to have the Canadian run daily will that fill some gaps? 

• Like 1

Guess the first wave of lay offs with me and others was just a sign of things to come. Moral was low before but now it's even worse with the announcement. I was hearing rumors of downsizing facilities before the lay off but didn't expect a shut down so soon. More like maybe Greyhound gets sold off. General consensus talking with my ex co workers is that First ran Greyhound Canada into the ground from the get go. Didn't give the mechanics a lot to work with. Even the down south from Seattle to Portland it's just been downhill. I feel for the employees and the communities being left in the dark with no transportation. Hope some companies step up and fill the gap. 

So Northern Ontario west of Sudbury as well as all service in Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia is axed as of Oct. 31st? Ouch. 

It looks like all that’ll be left is the Vancouver to Seattle run.

One wonders how much longer some of the U.S routes will continue to be what First considers “viable”... 

As for subsidies, Manitoba is already saying no:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4321717/manitoba-government-says-no-subsidies-for-greyhound-after-prairie-routes-abandoned/

Bustang: The service is quite successful, with load factors and farebox recovery ratios north of 50 percent. The most recent ridership data is here: https://www.codot.gov/about/committees/trac/Agendas-and-Minutes/2018/may-11-2018/11-a-t-i-q3-bustang-quarterly-report-memo/view

Greyhound Canada: It's sad, but not unexpected, that Greyhound is discontinuing service.

A truly sad day in Greyhound Canada history...it doesn't appear that they even tried to sell the entire operation, intact, as arguably, it might have had more value (or not?) that way....

But as I opined in an early post...who would buy it, even if they could?

I'm afraid it won't be long before most of the longer routes in the States are gone as well.  A good portion are already gone.  Only a few have been picked up by other carrier's, and of those, some did not last too long, either...

18 minutes ago, vortoozo said:

Why would someone want to buy Greyhound, and all of it's baggage, when they can just cherry pick routes of interest?

I had the thought that maybe the interline partner companies could ditch Greyhound and form a Trailways style service that competes directly with the hound but provides far superior customer service in every way. Pool equipment and drivers and the like. I think they could potentially put an end to what has become a zombie bus company with no real reason to continue operating. It’s not like if Greyhound stopped running tomorrow the intercity world would collapse. The gap would be quickly filled with more viable alternatives where it’s feasible so disruption would be temporary especially on their major U.S corridors... not sure who would want to bother with cross border stuff... they’ve cut so much that there can’t be much unprofitable route mileage left...

To answer your question: There is no compelling reason to look at a purchase of it although I was told last week that Southwest Airlines of all people wanted to buy Greyhound a couple years ago. They took one look at the age of the fleet and ran for the hills...