Greyhound in the news

A. Wong

Greyhound hits flatbed. No fatalities, but it looks like 6468 may be done (or at least need some good front-end TLC):

http://www.goerie.co...s-crash-on-I-90

I am thinking driver fatigue. During the hours of 5am to 7am is deadly to drive and your body just wants to shut down for some sleep. I've worked those shifts in the past and you just want to sleep during those hours big time!

I am thinking driver fatigue. During the hours of 5am to 7am is deadly to drive and your body just wants to shut down for some sleep. I've worked those shifts in the past and you just want to sleep during those hours big time!

Reason why Megabus/Coach USA in the states uses 2 drivers on its over night runs and they take turns driving on long routes. Tend the change at the rest stops. Greyhound should look at doing this as well.

Reason why Megabus/Coach USA in the states uses 2 drivers on its over night runs and they take turns driving on long routes. Tend the change at the rest stops. Greyhound should look at doing this as well.

I thought Greyhound does this (Driver change after a set amount of time driven)

Last time I came back from Toronto on the red eye the drivers changed at the rest stop (Gas Stn in Madoc?) One drove my bus back to Ottawa the other went back to Toronto.

Greyhound does change drivers at set points they just don't have a second driver onboard unless they have to move a spareboard driver to cover a trip down the line.

2 drivers aboard taking turns driving would work better in over night runs so the driver is not driving more then a few hours at time so they dont get too tired.

http://www.chbcnews.ca/another+black+eye+for+greyhound/6442797880/story.html

... how does the system normally work with Greyhound (in past and now that First has taken charge) in regards to connecting passengers? Are the schedules normally timed that certain buses meet at certain points? What happens if one bus is running late, how long does the other bus wait typically? Or do they try to meet up somewhere else? How do they stay in communication with each other and dispatch?

Thats an interesting one...Usually the schedules are timed so they are at a certain place and u can make connections...Most of the system is pretty much that way..Like normally u can usually go from anywhere in canada greyhound serves to anyplace else without too much problems. Sometimes u may end up waiting 5-6 hrs somewhere. All the major centres have them timed to connect. However their are a few exceptions...! As for late buses usually they hold the schedules where their are connecting passengers...An interesting example,,one time from Grande Prairie the schedule was really late and they didnt hold Prince George in Dawson Creek for a connecting passenger to Mackenzie(only day schedule goes into their) So the afternoon schedule from Dawson Creek ended up having to go into Mackenzie to drop the passenger off!

That is the flexibility of having more than one bus a day. If there is a schedule running that late, you can run the next bus in even if the stop is not on the schedule. The driver just claims the extra miles. Last week I was held in Kamloops for 2 1/2 hours because of a late bus on 5401 from Edmonton with connecting pasengers for my schedule 5153. If I hadn't been held, these passengers would have had to wait 5 1/2 hours for schedule 5015. That day however, 5015 was looking to run significantly late due to a highway closure that day.

• 2 weeks later...

2 drivers aboard taking turns driving would work better in over night runs so the driver is not driving more then a few hours at time so they dont get too tired.

There are some companies such as LaCubana, that operates between New York and Miami, as well as some other markets, that have installed legal 'sleeper berths' aboard their buses for relief driver rest. These are typically installed just ahead of the washroom, and mean the loss of a few revenue seats. Two drivers could legally drive a bus coast to coast by getting sleeper berth rest enroute. Not sure how they are paid, but probably costs the company less overall then using hotels enroute, and more than offsets the lost seat revenue, as well as the flexibility of going anywhere without establishing regular relief points. I personally would not work under those conditions, nor would I dive a semi-truck that way either....

I agree that overnite runs can often mean fatigued drivers. I have my own theory for a remedy....

First it would somewhat depend on more than a single trip on a route. Second, it would require drivers based at both ends of an overnite run.

I would schedule the trips so that the overnite runs were always operated by the 'away' driver coming from a hotel rather than from home, if at all possible. The reason being that they would be much more likely to be fully rested. A driver, even a regularly assigned one, will often stay up most of the day to spend time with family and then drive with less than full rest. And in the case of an extra driver filling a sudden vacancy, would especially be likely to be tired, not expecting to catch an overnite trip.

And companies must continue to educate drivers in getting proper rest, and refusing a run if at all fatigued,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...