Enviro 500

Transit in Vancouver: Questions and Answers

497 posts in this topic

I don't always like the front seat, but if I do get it, I am vigilant of the people around me and always pass it up for a child. I have never been asked to vacate it, though that is probably because I voluntarily leave it when I think I see someone else who might like it. People are very appreciative of that. :)

I think first come first serve is the default rule I go by, although there are obviously exceptions. If a kid comes up beside me I'd share the space with them, or yield it if they really want their parents to be with them. In general if I notice people behind me trying to see out the front I try to block as little of the view as possible.

The kids might be a future transit fan when they grow older, so I wouldn't want to give them a bad experience... And in general it's good to be courteous to fellow transit riders.

I don't sit down when I'm riding the skytrain but when I do it'll be the first come first serve rule. And if i'm sitting at the front, I would give up my seat as I've already know how it looks like from that POV. But yea as ^ mentioned those kids might be future members on this forum so don't want to get them pissed from riding the skytrain.

This might be another n00by question but, how often are the West Van D40LF's put into service ? and what routes commonly ? Thanks.

This might be another n00by question but, how often are the West Van D40LF's put into service ? and what routes commonly ? Thanks.

West Vancouver D40LF are different every day the week but limited on Sunday's. I find them commonly on the 250, 254 or 257.

West Vancouver D40LF are different every day the week but limited on Sunday's. I find them commonly on the 250, 254 or 257.

Thanks

The paint was discontinued, and the alternative was cost prohibitive. Nova's looking different, insofar as paint is a mistake of history. Translink accepted the paint design from Nova - which had the units looking like they do - but there should have been the darker paint wrapping around the windows like a NFI. And thus fairly different looking paint evolved.

When do the trolley buses return to the 7? I know it is due to construction a long the route.

When do the trolley buses return to the 7? I know it is due to construction a long the route.

Most likely when the Powell Street overpass is completed later this Summer, same goes with the 4.

The bridge itself it scheduled to open in early August. I would expect to see trolleys back on the 7 and the east side of the 4 with the September sheet. In addition to giving the overhead crew time to restring the wires, the schedules need to be changed back to trolley runs (the 7's deadhead routes and times have changed to diesel versions such as heading via Marine Dr to VTC from Dunbar Loop) and for the two halves of the 4 to be recombined.

Here's 2.

This one is just because I am curious.
Before the opening of the 96 B-line, and the closing of the 98 B-line, which D60LF has seen service on all 3 (97, 98, 99) B-lines? I know P8093 has, because I read it somewhere...

2: Why does the skytrain change speed when passing through different sections? This is what I mean:

December 2012: Heading into Surrey from Columbia, The train would just blast straight up the approach on the skybridge and wouldnt slow down until it hit surrey.
Spring-Summer 2013: Same direction, but it slows down before exiting and exiting the bridge
Summer 2014: Same thing, but it doesnt slow down near the end.

I also notice the same happens just outside Joyce street. Couple years ago the trains went full speed on the switch. Now they tend to slow down.

Any explanation on this? Is this to accommodate track work? Maintenance costs?

I also notice the same happens just outside Joyce street. Couple years ago the trains went full speed on the switch. Now they tend to slow down.

Any explanation on this? Is this to accommodate track work? Maintenance costs?

To answer your Joyce question, the trains have to slow down to minimize the sound of the wheels going through the switches and such due to complaints from the condos nearby most likely. Same situation with the Main St to Stadium segment.

Slow orders could be for noise reduction, less wear on the track or switches, sometimes before or after maintenance.

That would be BCRTC's responsibility (not TransLink) and I think that it is quite clear that they are giving them some attention since one such component has been replaced.

This has got me thinking about TransLink. What does TransLink do? I assume purchasing the fleet of buses and trains, dealing with the provincial and federal governments to build rapid transit and building rapid transit. Anything else and are those correct too?

This has got me thinking about TransLink. What does TransLink do? I assume purchasing the fleet of buses and trains, dealing with the provincial and federal governments to build rapid transit and building rapid transit. Anything else and are those correct too?

All of the operating companies (such as CMBC, BCRTC) are subsidiaries of TransLink. They are the larger 'umbrella' and perform duties which wouldn't make sense to duplicate at each operating unit, such as legal services and IT.

I'm no bus mechanic, but that first sound I believe is a fan belt. The belt just needs to be tightened, and the problem will be solved.

Yea that's all fan belt squeeling.

Is this something that happens only with the Cummins buses ? because I don't recall ever hearing that stuff on a series 50 bus.

That squeeling you hear on buses powered by Cummins is the fanbelt. The high pitch whistling sound you hear on buses with Detroit, is the turbo charger. Its what happens when air gets shoved into a tight space.

Sorry for the double post but another question would be, what causes this rattling sound ?

Don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure that this is the sound of the air reservoirs (compressed air tanks) being loaded with air. I took an air brake course in February and the equipment we had to work with made lots of interesting noises when the air was being loaded; I'm very confident that this is one of them. For some reason, this sound seems to occur almost exclusively in mild to hot weather, so I would think that it's safe to attribute this sound to humidity at the least.