• Announcements

• A. Wong

Saddened by loss of Winnipeg Transit driver   02/15/2017

We are saddened by the loss of Winnipeg Transit driver Irvine (Jubal) Fraser who was attacked while on the job and unfortunately passed away.
      A GoFundMe page has been set up by Winnipeg Transit colleagues to help Fraser's widow and family. We wish to extend our condolences to family and friends affected by this tragic event. View CBC News Article: Man charged with murder in attack on Winnipeg Transit driver
    • A. Wong

Upcoming Server Move   02/18/2017

Hello everyone! Please be advised that CPTDB and CPTDB Wiki will be unavailable starting the evening of February 25, 2017. We will be moving to another server. Users will be unable to view or post content during this time. We expect it to be up sometime on Feburary 26, 2017. A new announcement will take the place of this one, so you will know when the site is online and you are accessing it from the new server. Thanks! -A. Wong
      on behalf of CPTDB Admin
Enviro 500

Transit in Vancouver: Questions and Answers

516 posts in this topic

So why do the C40LFR, D40LF and D60LF need them in PTC?

Why do STC go a cross Port Mann frequently?

I'm taking an educated guess, so I may be wrong, but I think that all PTC buses have the decal so that their fleet is standardized. STC buses have to cross the Port Mann when they go to Fleet Overhaul.

CMBC is only exempt from tolls if they have the decal. Since it doesn't cost them anything, they probably stuck it on the entire PTC fleet in the rare chance they have to use something other than an Orion on the 555.

When was this ?

A while back around the time when 7316 ran out of Poco for a few weeks. It was never reported on this forum. This I think was before T-Comm was around. Only noticed it on the Next Bus site. Believe it was a Sunday.

A while back around the time when 7316 ran out of Poco for a few weeks. It was never reported on this forum. This I think was before T-Comm was around. Only noticed it on the Next Bus site. Believe it was a Sunday.

T-Comm has been around longer than the 555.

Sunday would be odd considering only 2 Orions are needed and they have 10. I could see a weekday peak trip maybe if 5 Orions were dead.

Question:

Does anybody know when the new SeaBus vessel is coming?

Sunday would be odd considering only 2 Orions are needed and they have 10. I could see a weekday peak trip maybe if 5 Orions were dead.

Probaly the Relief driver from the spareboard didn't have Orion training. That wouldn't be odd at all.

MTCE TEST / NOT IN SERVICE = Maintenance Testing / Not In Service. Used by maintenance personal, or when drivers don't want to be "SORRY / NOT IN SERVICE"

I think I first saw the "MTCE TEST" actually spelled out in full as "MAINTENANCE TEST" sometime around 2005 or 2006. I also suspect that the first time I saw it was on a Luminator Horizon sign, meaning that if it was anytime before the fall of 2006 it would have had to have been on the pilot trolley bus 2101, since that was the first bus to come with a Horizon and no other buses had that sign until the production trolleys started coming in, and then a few months later the C40LFRs and D40LFRs.

I like how Vancouver has a large amount of transit enthusiasts. Drivers and other employees actually know what you're doing and won't confront you for taking pictures of transit.

It's probably because tourism is one of the backbones of our economy, so they will expect it due to the fact that lots of people have cameras. It could also depend on some drivers. Drivers in surrey, for example, are not as exposed as much to cameras as compared to Vancouver's buses.

Probably explains why some surrey drivers insist on me having "Authorization" to take photos, thus having not realized that as they take on the job, they are being exposed on public property, and so is the bus they are driving. Had that happen to me a couple times. Not to be racist or anything, but the caucasians seem to be chill about it, and out of all the times where I was asked to stop, those drivers were of the East Indian background.

^ agreed. Tourism is BIG here, lots of cameras pointing in all directions so Vancouver drivers are almost oblivious to it.

Thanks for the prompt replies guys.

Seems like in Victoria there is a very limited number of enthusiasts, so drivers here aren't used to people snapping pics of their buses. As far as I know, Vancouver has easily hundreds of active transit enthusiasts, where Victoria must just have a small handful.

I doubt there is like 100 enthusiasts but maybe like 50ish , then again there might be members who don't post anything here or never heard of this forum

Can someone please give me a brief overview and possibly photos of "Fastbus" service? I keep coming across the term while digging at the buzzer archives.

What references are made in the buzzer? The 555 over the Port Mann ended up getting "ExpressBus" branding.

It was a moniker used in the 1970's for most of the express routes running to Downtown Vancouver from the suburban municipalities, as well as to the 640 in its original incarnation. The services were initially numbered separately from the underlying local route, where such as a service existed (in some cases the Fastbus provided all service). For instance, when service in the eastern area of North Vancouver was started, there was the 211 Seymour local route (which only ran to Phibbs Exchange), and the 911 Seymour Fastbus, which ran to Vancouver. 600 series numbers were used for south of Fraser routes, 800 and 900 series numbers were used for North Shore and north east sector routes. Looking over the buzzer archives, the Fastbus branding only lasted for a few years, as by the late 1970's a system wide renumbering was taking place that resulted in these routes being renumbered into the current scheme, with former Fastbus routes no longer getting their own separate series.

Can someone please give me a brief overview and possibly photos of "Fastbus" service? I keep coming across the term while digging at the buzzer archives.

Oh ok thanks. That sounds interesting, knowing that we had route numbers that high. Also, I assume these would use early fishbowls and D700A?

Question regarding front seat on skytrain:

I felt like I was kicked off my spot on the train today. I had 2 cases on unit 127.

1: A parent asked my to move my arm so her son could see. Got off Joyce.

2: Two kids just come up randomly as I leaned up against the "cabin" walls and annoy me to hell. I got off at Patterson. No action, whatsoever.

I now learned that If I want to clinch front seat, I have 109 units to do so. (All MKIIs and unit 124 wit the missing fold-chair.

How do you treat people who get the front seat?

A: First come, first serve

B: Let others have a turn if they ask

C: Younger kids always get the railfan seat.

I think there is no right or wrong answer. Each case should be weighed on it's own merits.