Transit in Vancouver: Questions and Answers

Enviro 500

11 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

At 18:45? And the #430 in particular is planned for B-Line-level service at some point, so that connection will become even more important.

if that happens then I agree but that some point may be far down the road

On 12/25/2016 at 11:48 AM, NotQuite said:

Yes, you must be able to see over the steering wheel and reach the pedals !!!  Otherwise no, not that I am aware of.  Merry Christmas !!!

When I drove school bus, with certain types of flat nose buses, more so Blue Bird and International rear-engine buses than Thomas, being tall was something of a disadvantage. In order not to bang my knees against the dash or steering wheel, I had to sit so high that when stopped at a red light I'd have to duck my head to actually see the traffic signal...

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

Does anybody know when the 311 Scottsdale/Bridgeport Stn. started getting Orion V?

New Express Buses Offer A Smoother Ride For Long Distance Travel on Highway 99 - TransLink media release, August 17, 2001.

"The new coaches will be used exclusively on the following routes connecting White Rock, South Surrey, and Delta with Downtown Vancouver: #311, #351, #352, #354, #601, #602, #603, and #604."

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

I have another question. The 311 was previously operated by STC when the 311 used to go to Vancouver, so I'm wondering, does anybody know which coaches where delivered to STC to serve the 311?

I might be wrong, but I don't think any units were delivered new to Surrey. However, 9218, 9219, and a handful of units 9258 and up eventually made their way to Surrey. 

• Like 1

Something I noticed on the Novas, the turn signals don't synchronize with the indicators on the dashboard. Is there a reason for this?

Also, the turn signals on some Xcelsiors have a loud ticking sound while some don't make a sound at all. Is there like a volume switch for the turn signals?

2 hours ago, TranslinkKid said:

Something I noticed on the Novas, the turn signals don't synchronize with the indicators on the dashboard. Is there a reason for this?

Also, the turn signals on some Xcelsiors have a loud ticking sound while some don't make a sound at all. Is there like a volume switch for the turn signals?

1. I don't think so, it's just the way it's designed.

2. I don't think that there is a switch, but it is true that some are quieter than others. I haven't come across any that are truly silent though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TranslinkKid said:

It's certainly true that some trolley buses are totally silent while the turn signals/4-ways are activated. Some, on the other hand, are extremely loud. I haven't driven any 2012 Xcelsiors where I noticed the signals were silent.

16 hours ago, TranslinkKid said:

Because Nova bus....No further explanation required LOL.

But if you have a really good eye for detail, the trolley turn single sounds actually synchronize with the Nova's exterior turn signals 

EDIT: Most trolley buses I meant

I have 2 questions.

My first question is why did they change the font. What was the point, I think the old font is a lot more clear than than the new font. The new font looks a bit messy and hard to read at times.

My second question is about the bus numbers. Why did they change from 4 digit numbers to 5 digit numbers. The 2012 XDE60 marked the first buses with 5 digit numbers. I know it's not because they ran out of 4 digit numbers, because they could have numbered the 2012 XDE60 9001-9025, and the 2014 XN40 could have been numbered 7001-7045, also the 2016 XD40 could have been numbered 9300-9340. My point is there is lots of 4 digit numbers that still haven't been used yet they chose to go straight to the 5 digit numbers. Does anybody know why?

8 minutes ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

I have 2 questions.

My first question is why did they change the font. What was the point, I think the old font is a lot more clear than than the new font. The new font looks a bit messy and hard to read at times.

My second question is about the bus numbers. Why did they change from 4 digit numbers to 5 digit numbers. The 2012 XDE60 marked the first buses with 5 digit numbers. I know it's not because they ran out of 4 digit numbers, because they could have numbered the 2012 XDE60 9001-9025, and the 2014 XN40 could have been numbered 7001-7045, also the 2016 XD40 could have been numbered 9300-9340. My point is there is lots of 4 digit numbers that still haven't been used yet they chose to go straight to the 5 digit numbers. Does anybody know why?

I can't answer regarding the new font, but they changed to 5 digit fleet numbers to use the first two digits indicate the year of the vehicle.  12*** indicates a 2012 vehicle and so forth.

• Like 1

Does anybody know why TransLink is insisting to put XD40 on routes that are usually serviced by Orion V. I know that some Orion V routes interline with a 403 or a 480, but they're putting XD40 on blocks that don't even get close to interlining with a 403 or a 480. For example, R9279 was doing a 351, 601 block, and it broke down, so they got an XD40 as a replacement bus. Another example, they got an XD40 to do a 311, 603 block. Is RTC short of Orion V?

42 minutes ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

Does anybody know why TransLink is insisting to put XD40 on routes that are usually serviced by Orion V. I know that some Orion V routes interline with a 403 or a 480, but they're putting XD40 on blocks that don't even get close to interlining with a 403 or a 480. For example, R9279 was doing a 351, 601 block, and it broke down, so they got an XD40 as a replacement bus. Another example, they got an XD40 to do a 311, 603 block. Is RTC short of Orion V?

Both Richmond & Surrey are short on Orions... Flyers constantly appear on lines 301 & 503 if even ONE of Surrey's is in the shop (and line 301 has Orions restricted to weekdays only due to stupid service "optimizations"). When it comes to a block on line 311 that does 2 AM trips only, one of which leaves at 07:05, I often see a 16100 Flyer on it despite not interlining with any local lines or line 480.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, UpLift Vancouver said:

Both Richmond & Surrey are short on Orions... Flyers constantly appear on lines 301 & 503 if even ONE of Surrey's is in the shop (and line 301 has Orions restricted to weekdays only due to stupid service "optimizations"). When it comes to a block on line 311 that does 2 AM trips only, one of which leaves at 07:05, I often see a 16100 Flyer on it despite not interlining with any local lines or line 480.

I think TransLink may be regretting not getting more Orion V when they had a chance back in 2008.:lol:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

I have 2 questions.

They wanted to create a brand -- a universal font

• Like 1

Just now, Dr. BusFreak said:

I know. It's what I call this ''Meta'' font. I call it ''crayon'' font because it looks like someone wrote the numbers using crayon.

ikr

2 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

I think TransLink may be regretting not getting more Orion V when they had a chance back in 2008.:lol:

NovaBus LFS Suburban better than nothing.

Credits to: David Lam 

novalfssubintr.jpg

• Like 1