Ctrain SD160s / U2DCs Mixed Consists spottings

LRT

Spotted it heading northbound just north of Southland station seconds ago (unless it was a U2-AC mixed consist)

A quick way to confirm a DC unit to a AC unit is to look for the large rectangular air intakes in the articulation area, they have the same intakes as the SD160s (in case if you can't catch the unit number)

A quick way to confirm a DC unit to a AC unit is to look for the large rectangular air intakes in the articulation area, they have the same intakes as the SD160s (in case if you can't catch the unit number)

Yeah, but I was on a southbound train when it passed by mine, and could only tell from the colour of the interior lights. Didn't get the large roof boxes/shrouds that the U2-AC's have either since it was night time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hmmmm i just drove a consist of 2219-2012-2215 on my 201. Quite a beast of a consist i gotta admit.

Cool huh, the train runs in simulated DC mode, going up to Crowfoot from Dalhousie it just keeps climbing up the hill until it overspeeds. The U2 responds a lot slower but its cool how the SDs wait for the U2 to respond.... and then they work together absolutely perfectly.

Did you try the reducer on the SDs? It actually WORKS you can feel the U2 reduce steps of braking / power and again the SDs hang in there for the U2. I'm glad you enjoyed driving it.

Interesting! So riding the SD car in a mixed SD-U2DC consist feels exactly like riding a U2?

Kinda sorta.... When driving the consist, you definitely notice a difference.

When riding the SDs I'm sure you won't notice a much of a difference either, you might feel the slight jerk of the cam shift points from the U2. If your riding in the U2, it will feel a bit "supercharged" because the SDs are pushing and pulling the car as the SDs have more jam then the U2 car.

It's cool, give it a ride!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
8 hours ago, LRT said:

Cool! Did you notice the operator? (Wrong thread... this is the mixed consist thread...?)

I was in a rush to post before heading to bed sorry.   And no I didn't see who was operating that train!  I was driving the opposite direction when I saw it.  It was about 9AM or so. Train was outbound towards Crowfoot arriving at Brentwood Station.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...