Selkirk Transit

DavidW

I heard two different rumours this past weekend about the City of Selkirk starting a local transit system soon. One rumour was that they had engaged a contractor. The other rumour was that they had purchased one new transit bus from New Flyer. The source of the bus purchase rumour was a New Flyer factory worker and he didn't know or wouldn't say what model.

Has anyone heard anything more substantial than rumours?

I heard two different rumours this past weekend about the City of Selkirk starting a local transit system soon. One rumour was that they had engaged a contractor. The other rumour was that they had purchased one new transit bus from New Flyer. The source of the bus purchase rumour was a New Flyer factory worker and he didn't know or wouldn't say what model.

Has anyone heard anything more substantial than rumours?

I just checked the City of Selkirk website. Their tendering for "2 Diesel Low Floor Transit Buses"

http://www.cityofselkirk.com/main.asp?ID=1...;fxoid=menufx,7

I just checked the City of Selkirk website. Their tendering for "2 Diesel Low Floor Transit Buses"

http://www.cityofselkirk.com/main.asp?ID=1...;fxoid=menufx,7

I just went looking and found the same. You're fast!

CITY OF SELKIRK

TENDER NOTICE

SUPPLY & DELIVERY OF TWO (2) LOW FLOOR DIESEL TRANSIT BUSES FOR THE CITY OF SELKIRK

TR-2010-18

Separate Sealed Tenders will be received by the undersigned at 200 Eaton Avenue, up until 2:00 P.M., Local Time on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 for the following:

TR-2010-18 SUPPLY & DELIVERY OF TWO (2) LOW FLOOR DIESEL TRANSIT BUSES FOR THE CITY OF SELKIRK

Tender Forms and Specifications may be obtained at the City of Selkirk, Department of

Operations, 739 Sophia Street, Selkirk, Manitoba, during normal business hours.

All inquiries related to the Tender should be directed to Mr. Dan Repeta, Manager of Buildings & Fleet Maintenance, 204-785-4934.

The lowest or any tender not necessarily accepted.

Mr. Randy Borsa

Acting Chief Administrative Officer

200 Eaton Avenue

Selkirk, MB

R1A 0W6

So is this seperate from Beaver Bus Lines?

I think it's about time that Selkirk in general got better commuter and local service!

Separate from Beaver Bus Lines, however if the City of Selkirk is going for a contract operator then I would expect BBL to be one of the bidders. If Selkirk is going to operate the buses themselves (with city employees) then it will be completely separate. I would expect it to be local service inside Selkirk, not competing with BBL for commuter traffic between Selkirk and Winnipeg.

But only 2 buses? 1 route and 1 back up bus? 2 routes and no back up bus?

I think it may be safe to say that it may be set up like this.

-2 Buses

-1 Route (Possibly at or near their main Shopping Centre)

-1 Hour to Half Hour Frequencies

Just a guess, but it would make sense to me. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Witch New Flyer buses are they order D30LFR D35LFR D40LFR

Skimming over the implementation plan linked above it appears the buses will be medium duty 7-10 year low floor cutaways. See appendix B. It's probably a good idea to build ridership levels and make sure the service will actually be used first before investing in expensive high capacity heavy-duty equipment.

• 1 month later...
Skimming over the implementation plan linked above it appears the buses will be medium duty 7-10 year low floor cutaways. See appendix B. It's probably a good idea to build ridership levels and make sure the service will actually be used first before investing in expensive high capacity heavy-duty equipment.
Sounds like it could be EZ rider II's

Like MVTArider said, they're going to be cutaways. So you're looking at Arbocs for Selkirk.

• 3 months later...

I heard a rumour this last weeken that Crestline has advised Selkirk Transit that deliver of the two cutaways is unlikely to occur in March. Transit service had been planned to begin 01 April 2011.

If that's true Selkirk Transit will either have to rent equipment for April 1st or postpone their start-up.

Has anyone heard anything official?

• 2 months later...

Selkirk Transit has updated their website with a pdf brochure and an announcement of when service starts:

Selkirt Transit website

Service starts Monday May 30th, 2011.

Hourly service six days per week.

No evening service, no Sunday service.

Free service 30 May - 01 July, then

flat fare of $2 for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Selkirk Transit bus stop signs have been installed. The stops are numbered. The signs are informative, with arrival time and a route map. That should make it expensive to alter the route or schedule if ever they decide to.

Stop #50:

selkirk_STstop50_daw2011May15.jpg

• 2 weeks later...