Seating preferences on board transit vehicles

Ed Drass

I'm helping out a new freelance journalist, who is trying to collect information for a news article. If you have time, check out (and check off) her questionnaire -- and perhaps comment here afterward. Cheers, Ed

TTCers, time to share your thoughts! Where do YOU sit on the TTC? Please fill out both pages of this 5-min survey: http://bit.ly/clXALo

I'm helping out a new freelance journalist, who is trying to collect information for a news article. If you have time, check out (and check off) her questionnaire -- and perhaps comment here afterward. Cheers, Ed

TTCers, time to share your thoughts! Where do YOU sit on the TTC? Please fill out both pages of this 5-min survey: http://bit.ly/clXALo

Done!

So, I'm curious what some of your preferences are. (Of course, for some, the usual spot is at the wheel/controls.)

For me, if I sit on the subway it's a forward or back-facing seat. Rarely side-facing.

Bus: First row, just at the top of the stairs. Crowding makes a difference -- I won't engage the operator or consider exiting from the front when the route is busy. The slow operation of the doors on an Orion 7 affects my choice of exit (and therefore seating). I've seen buses miss a light just cuz I left at the "centre" doors.

-ed

PS: I'll repost when I get word of the publication.

All my choice of seats depend on who I'm with: Transitfans, myself, friends, or parents.

Subway:

Transitfans - Mostly on the railfan seats, or the seats surrounding the controls. If those are taken, then the frontmost available front facing seats.

Friends and parents - Front facing seats, and side facing seats if needed.

Myself - Front facing seats. I normally don't sit in the railfan seat.

Bus/Streetcar:

Transitfans - Rearmost seats.

Friends - Usually around the front to the middle seats, depending on which ones are available.

Parents - The first front facing seats after the side facing seats.

Myself: First or second row behind the centre doors.

I always sit in the driver-side rear corner unless there are free single seats on the driver side.

That seems to be a favourite for most transit fans, myself included.

My preferences are:

Bus: As mentioned above, rear corner seat on the drivers side.

Streetcar: Either a forward facing seat behind the rear doors on the driver's side or a forward facing seat on the door side near the front.

Subway: Forward facing seat, preferably near a cab.

Forward or backwards facing seats on the subway.

Streetcar, wherever. Usually a forward facing seat.

Higher section on lowfloors (avoiding the front right when possible, avoids feeling all the potholes).

GO buses: either the back, or one of the seats around the wheelchair section (the ones with more legroom).

In all cases, I try to find a seat away from individuals or groups of individuals talking loudly or being annoying.

Buses: Loner seat closest to the front, especially on the VIIs since that seat has the most legroom

Streetcars: Anywhere

Subways: Near the door that stops at the station exit, loner seat behind the cab and th railfan seat.

I can careless about their cranked music, as long as their headphones are in. I'll be the one laughing at them when they can't hear anything.

Though, I hate those who have no headphones but ish blaring out of their pricey ipods.

Bus: Always corner-back seat, driver's side. Great vantage point of everything including doors. But never always go for it, even during quiet times. It's a minor preference. It's not the end of the world for me, but it is when someone's on that booster seat. I could just pray for a head on crash to a wall or something simliar and watch them fly.

Streetcar: Back, driver's side of the three-seater. Or the last double seat to the left. If the CLRV has single seats all along the left side, I might go for it. But again, not a necessity.

Really though, if I was getting off in five, maybe 10 minutes or 10 stops, I may just keep close to the doors, unless a lenghty layover happens. i just may not care.

Subway: Don't care, but tend to keep on forward facing seats. Predominately, in cars 1 & 3 and 5 of a six-car set. And the fanning seat when it's the very end of the train. Rarely ever go to it as the head. I think of the kids sometimes that want to see the tunnel and all...

Alot of times on the Bloor-Danforth, it usually doesn't happen, especially on for the entire trip as operators sometimes, close the section off for good reason, as they're busy trying to get back on time and do the switcheroo at select stations, and keep at the ends.

Bus: Furthest back single seat on drivers side, or front row of the upper level door side. If neither, single seats, if those are taken too, doesn't matter.

Streetcar: Closest single seat to front (unless needed by someone, obviously), otherwise, any single seat, otherwise, doesn't matter.

Subway: Very front or very back seats (tho if someone else wants the track view I'll give em up without hesitation). After that, front facing, then side facing, then wherever.

Bus: at the rear (upper) level preferably facing forward

Streetcar: I usually end up standing anyway so it doesn't matter

Subway: I prefer to sit sideways behind the doors (so I can lean on the partition during braking)

I actually don't mind sitting backwards

Interesting topic. Got me thinking...