OCTA New Flyer D60LF replacement

ABQ RIDE

Next year, OCTA's oldest New Flyer D60LFs (built 1999) will be elgible for replacement by FTA guidelines. With talk about New Flyer introducing a CNG artic, I was wondering, could this be an opportunity for New Flyer to bring back their articulated buses into the Southern California market?

OCTA seems to have a good relationship with New Flyer, and perhaps when New Flyer introduces their CNG artic, they could perhaps try and win a contract from OCTA.

Next year, OCTA's oldest New Flyer D60LFs (built 1999) will be elgible for replacement by FTA guidelines. With talk about New Flyer introducing a CNG artic, I was wondering, could this be an opportunity for New Flyer to bring back their articulated buses into the Southern California market?

OCTA seems to have a good relationship with New Flyer, and perhaps when New Flyer introduces their CNG artic, they could perhaps try and win a contract from OCTA.

Could be if OCTA is committed to join the team along with FAX in the development of New Flyer's CNG artic.

I think it's really a 50/50, OCTA does have NABI's and may just go with the lowest bid. They've also changed management to some extent. Not to mention serious budget problems..perhaps they'll try to keep them as long as possible?

Has there been any mention of the 40 foot version? I don't think anyone has even ordered one yet?

I'd say New Flyer will have an edge in any OCTA bid, given their history with New Flyer. Plus not to mention that New Flyer also won the contract to replace their own 1990/1991 D40's. As for the New Flyer CNG artic, I think OCTA will hold off on retiring their D60LF's until they see how the artic performs if they plan on inviting New Flyer on the bid. For the CNG artic bid, NABI will also probably have an edge too.

If OCTA retires their 1999 D60LFs next year (and there's a good chance they will, given how they retired all their D40LFs so quickly) there's no way that NFI can develop, test and roll out a complete CNG articulated bus in time to bid on this particular bus order.

• 3 weeks later...
If OCTA retires their 1999 D60LFs next year (and there's a good chance they will, given how they retired all their D40LFs so quickly) there's no way that NFI can develop, test and roll out a complete CNG articulated bus in time to bid on this particular bus order.

Given their experences in the market of manufacturing CNG coaches, i doubt i'd be much trouble to develope a prototype C60LFR. Besides, who said you needed to have a prototype coach built to bid on an order? When your a company like NFI, who has ample experence in the market...

Given their experences in the market of manufacturing CNG coaches, i doubt i'd be much trouble to develope a prototype C60LFR. Besides, who said you needed to have a prototype coach built to bid on an order? When your a company like NFI, who has ample experence in the market...

Or even a XC60LFR since that could be another possibility for New Flyer.

That'd never work, they'd still need to get it tested by all the feds, etc, etc...

They really have two options, wait or get NABI's. I personally believe either one is possible.

That'd never work, they'd still need to get it tested by all the feds, etc, etc...

They really have two options, wait or get NABI's. I personally believe either one is possible.

I did post about this in a separate thread (Fresno) but New Flyer has plans to launch a CNG Xcelsior in 60' length and has been quoting prices with launch anticipated in Q4 2012.

They did order some of New Flyer's first hybrid buses, though.

True. but they only got a few and the nice part there was that they were 40ft, so if those buses died on them they'd be okay. The articulated buses are a bit different in that they would need to be fully replaced and there wouldn't be any backups "just in case..."

I was on Line 57 yesterday from Brea Mall onboard D60LF #7420, just by the shear amount of people who boarded, I say OCTA needs every artic it can hold on to for certain routes. Besides, the ride on them is much smoother and better than a NABI 60-BRT...